Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nitarata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: apple123flower

Oh Tia!! I loved the last part!! Pragya had such a big MU about the divorce, but even I thought about that after reading the last line of the second last part.. And the half of this part too.. 😳

Oh this Abhi!! I love this Abhi too!! He's such a Abhi!! 😆 I don't know what to say about him!!

"Let's get out of here", Abhishek said holding my hand as he pulled me along to get into the car.

People, mostly girls, gathered around our car. Abhishek waved at them and blew some kisses in air.

"Welcome to my life", Abhishek winked at me as he drove carefully trying not to hit the flock of people around the car. He sped up as he reached the highway.

I loved this part so so much!! Ha! The rockstar!! 😉

And the epilogue, The ring!! And Aarav!!

-Chashmish (no, you can't call me that, only my husband can)

This was so sweet!! 😳

Tia, I loved the whole, the whole story!!

And I didn't know why I had tears in my eyes after reading this part!!

The banner is so so so nice!! Awesome Aashu!! 😃

Awww hugs Apple. Thanks a LOT.
nitarata thumbnail

Originally posted by: MinMinMehra

I didn't et to comment on the last part and you finished it! Beautiful story through and through Tia! Love it! Such amazing writing... Glad the bhootni did get you...we got something beautiful out of it! Hope you write more! (One shots mostly...don't want you to get annoyed with bhootni again! But even ff/ss if it tickles your fancy!)

Now I'm going to read it start to finish again!

MMM!!!
Glad you like it. I will try to post it all in one place so that it's easy to read.😊
Miss.M thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Tia-

MMM!!!
Glad you like it. I will try to post it all in one place so that it's easy to read.😊

YAY!! I was just thinking I'm going to have to have two tabs open and move between the two but you're an absolute darling for doing that Tiyu! *HUGS!!*
nitarata thumbnail
MMM, there seems to be a limit as to how many words per post.
nitarata thumbnail

Part 1

"Maa, who marries a rockstar?", I retorted.

"Aren't rockstars human beings, Pragya?", my mother had made up her mind to have the rockstar as her son in law.

"Honestly, Maa, I don't want to marry. I am tired of going through these engagements, marriage preparations only to end up in disappointments and heartbreaks. Even my best friend Suresh betrayed me. You know what, I am happy single. I have a respectable job and I have my life. You survived without a man most of your life, why do you think I wouldn't?", I brought up my real problem.

"But I don't want you to survive, Pragya. I want you to live, to live and enjoy life, like most people do. Although I never complained about it, I am sure you have a fair idea of how much I have struggled to raise you and your sister without a father. But the only reason I could do it was the two of you. You were my hope, my everything", my mother got emotional.

"But Maa, had it been any other guy, I would have felt comfortable, but this rockstar, he is rich, famous and haven't you seen him on TV? He is from a completely different world. How do you think I will even fit in his house, in his life?", I still tried to explain myself.

"Didn't you see how humble was his Daadi when she spoke to us? Similar to how I know you and Bulbul inside out, she knows her grandson. And that's why I agreed to go forward. You don't worry, it will work out", my mother reasoned out.

"What if it doesn't?" I really didn't want to agree with her.

"If it doesn't, I will be with you. I will support your every decision and stand by you. I will not let you suffer in a marriage that does not bring you happiness. But believe me, my heart says it will work out. Your kundalimatches almost 100% with his. You both are made for each other. Pragya beta, please, listen to your mother. Trust me. Trust God and destiny. It will all be good. I beg you beta...", my mother now had tears in her eyes.

And it wasn't in me to see her cry. After all, she was my everything. From the time I can remember, she was my hero. She worked two jobs to feed my sister and me. She gave us the best education she could, even if it meant her not buying new clothes for years. She hid her pains and cries to make us believe in the goodness of life. Moreover, her health was giving up on her and she didn't need to deal with emotional stress because of me. She still had to go through 2 sessions of radiotherapy for her breast tumour. I didn't want her to be upset about my marriage and refuse to continue with her therapy, which I know she could do. So I decided, I would marry for her. Like she said, I was going to hope for the best although I didn't have any hopes.

And when I finally agreed, my house was a happy place. My mother was relived but my grandmother and my sister were excited. Those two were fans of that rockstar for a long time. And the fact that they could talk to him, take his autograph, and have him as a relative had them over the moon.

Within an hour my house had already gathered a festive mode. My Maamaji and his family had arrived and they started discussing the wedding preparations. My mother asked me to try on a necklace that was sent by the rockstar's Daadi for me. It was surely the heaviest and perhaps the most expensive piece of jewel I had ever seen but my heart felt heavier.

Right then, the doorbell rang and I told my mother I was going to collect milk since it was the time for our milkman's evening rounds.

"Today, two liters, and these days you seem to be mixing more water than ever", I complained as I placed our milk can outside the door.

"Excuse me" I heard a deep voice that felt vaguely familiar and I froze as I looked up.

"I don't sell milk. If you need my introduction, I am Abhi Mehra and yeah I remember you, Pragya, Pragya Arora, hmm?", spoke the rockstar.

I could not mutter a word for multiple reasons. I called him a milkman, he knew my name, and he was right in front of me and that was intimidating. More intimidating was his piercing gaze that I could not hold.

And I was thankful that my family, excited to see the rockstar at the door, came running.

Abhi joined his palms in a namastey to the elders and even touched my mother and Daadi's feet, something that I did not expect he would do. He was taken inside the house and an excited Bulbul came out of the room and jumped around, making sure he knew she was his crazy fan. I just stood in a corner and saw themela my house suddenly turned into.

Abhi was treated to samosas and chai, but he was treated as if he was some celebrity, well, he was a celebrity. He refused chai but ate samosas. I was so busy observing every little thing that was going on like a silent spectator and my folks didn't remember me until he took my name again.

"Can I take Pragya out for sometime?", he asked my mother, and I tensed.

Had it been any other boy, my mother would have refused right away. But even she acted like a fan girl and told him there was no problem and it's very important for the boy and the girl to talk before marriage.

I did not want to go out with him. But there was no way I could have avoided it given my whole family was walking me out behind him.

The children from the whole of our colony had gathered outside our house to meet the rockstar. He gave high fives to some of them, autographs to others, before opening the door for me at the passenger's side and seated himself on the driver's seat. As he slowly drove, I felt all our neighbours eyes on us and I just wanted to disappear.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but the bigger question was why. I remembered that he mentioned remembering me. I also remembered that one time I met him at his concert venue.

Bulbul had wanted to go for his concert last year and due to mother's insistence to not let her go alone, I had to reluctantly tag along. When we reached the venue, the security guards told us we were supposed to get inside the hall half an hour earlier and didn't let us in. I had started yelling at them given we had spent a fortune on the tickets. Fed up of their rudeness, I had taken a dig at rockstar Abhi' saying he wasn't worth it. It had happened that Abhi, who had reached there just then, had witnessed it and he had gotten out of his car and interfered between us. Bulbul was hyper excited to see Abhi and she had begged him to let us see the concert. Abhi had offered her VIP seats and I had refused since I wasn't the one to fangirl him anyway. Bulbul was almost in tears and I had asked her to go in while I would come back and get her. She excitedly went inside and before I left, Abhi had stopped me and asked my name. When I told him my name, he wrote it on a ticket that he took out from his pocket and placed it in my hand saying if I found his music too boring, I could go hear an election rally speech for which he was given free VIP passes. He had also mocked that I could give my speeches in front of that politician and leave him and his fans alone.

"So, how was that election rally that night?" asked Abhi as if he knew what I just was thinking.

"Your memory seems strong", I commented.

"I don't forget my distractors", he said turning at me and raising an eyebrow.

Marriage between us sounded even more an impossible possibility and the idea itself sounded scary now. I wanted to know all the more why he had gotten me with him and I just wanted to get over with this.

After many minutes of silence, it seemed like we were on a highway that I did not recognize. He stopped and parked the car on the roadside.

"Sorry, there is no restaurant around here where I can get away without being noticed. I don't know about you politicians but a rockstar needs to worry about being mobbed" he let out a mock laugh.

"I am not a politician and please get to the point and tell me why did you bring me with you", I asked unable to be patient about this anymore.

"So the point is.. is it the 1 crore necklace? Is this why you agreed to marry me?", he turned towards me and kept looking.

That's when I realized I was still wearing his Daadi's necklace. I had thought it would be very expensive but hadn't realized it could be worth a crore. It must have been real diamonds, I wondered. The next moment I realized that he meant that I wanted to marry him for money, while the truth was I didn't even want to marry him. What was he saying?

I quickly unhooked the necklace and placed it in the cup holder between our seats. "I have enough money to feed myself and my mother has taught us not to salivate at someone else's money even if we didn't have a penny. So, keep this necklace to yourself", I burst out in anger and tried to open the door to get out of the car.

"Hey, hold on", he grabbed my wrist, stunning me. How could he just hold my hand like that? "I got you out with me and I will drop you home. And there are no special buses or taxis to take you home from here. It's a highway", he said letting my hand go.

I let out the breath I had held and was still thinking what should I be doing.

"There has to be something else if not the money. No one ever does anything without a motivation. What is it? Why do you want to marry me?", he questioned again.

"Can I ask you the same question? Why have you agreed to marry me?", I returned his question.

"Actually, I don't want to marry you at all", he said coldly.

That's exactly what I wanted but my heart felt pricked at his statement.

Part 2

One more man had rejected me.

And it hurt me. I should have been used to it by now, after countless rejections due to me being the dull, boring, not pretty and whatever reasons they wanted to come up with.

At least this rockstar rejected me right away, not taking it to engagement or the wedding mantap.

"Hey, hello! Pragya...", I heard him take my name. But I was too immersed in my thoughts to respond.

Why would he want to marry me, anyway? He must have beautiful and glamorous girls at his mercy. I only had thought about myself not wanting to marry him but now it made sense that he wouldn't want to marry me either.

But I decided I was going to honor my own decision of not being affected by rejections anymore.

"Hello! do you have issues just with your eyes or your ears too, Miss Chashmish?", I heard him say something clearly this time.

"If you don't want to marry me, it's good for you. Because I never wanted to marry you either. I think we are done here. Can you drop me home, now?" I said without looking at him.

"Ahaaa, really? Then, why would you play magic on my Daadi and trap her?" he mocked.

"Magic? Trap? I respect your grandma for her kindness. Yes, I happened to meet her several times. But that doesn't mean..", I was cut off before I finished my sentence.

"It meant you used her kindness to make her believe you are a bahu material so that she chants your name and decides to get you married to me. Isn't it?", he sounded serious now.

"Why on earth you are thinking like this? For your kind information, I am not dying to marry you. I don't want to marry you or anyone", I spoke agitated.

"If that is the case, why didn't you refuse when my Daadi made the proposal? Why has my Daadi begun with wedding arrangements? Why is my Daadi hell bent on bringing you as her bahu? Why is your family already treating me like a son in law?", he was throwing questions after questions.

"Listen, I was not even given a proper chance to decide. I am not at all interested in marriage or such relationships. My mother is forcing me into it in her own way. If I don't marry, she will get sick. She will not continue with her radiotherapy. I could not say No to her how much ever I wanted and tried. Why don't you refuse to your Daadi yourself? That would be a favor on me too.", I didn't know why but I felt as if I would break down.

He went silent for a few good moments.

"I can't believe I can find something in common with you. I wish I could tell Daadi that I don't want to marry myself. Her kidneys are failing and doctors are trying for a transplant. And it is very important that she is not stressed out. So, anything I do against her will only deteriorate her health and she will totally refuse to cooperate with her health, transplant etc. I had been to the US for a month for my concerts. Before leaving I had casually told her I would marry any girl she chooses, because she was always on my head to have me married. I come back here and she gives me your pictures and tells me she has done my roka with you and the marriage is in a week. What IS this roka? Are we engaged?", he queried.

I also couldn't believe he was in the same boat as me. I felt bad for his grandmother who was so kind and loving in those few times I had met her.

"Roka is like a commitment between the two families. It's not engagement but a promise from both families that this marriage would happen. But, why don't you tell your Daadi whoever you want to get married to so that.." I reasoned.

"That's the thing, you know. Where will I bring a girl from?", he tapped on the steering wheel.

"Don't you have girlfriends? I mean a girlfriend? So many girls might be wanting to marry you", I wondered.

"I used to have girlfriends but now I just have random hookups. Of course every girl wants to marry me, except for celibate babaji types like you. But the point is I don't want to marry. I am not husband material and nor want to be one", he narrated his situation.

"So, what do you want to do now?", I asked him.

"Is your mother a drama queen like my Daadi? And when is her therapy or whatever you talked about?", he questioned sincerely.

I wouldn't call my mother a drama queen, but I thought if I refused to marry, my mother would bring the roof down, cry buckets, and knowingly worsen her health. If that is being a drama queen, may be she is!

"She has breast tumor. She needs to undergo radiotherapy sessions in the next few months to completely get rid of the cancer. It's unfortunate that she equates her therapy to me being married", I sighed.

He ran his fingers through his hair and seemed to be in thoughts. I was still trying to make sense of all that we talked in the last few minutes. I was vaguely relieved but deeply pained at the same time. I didn't know how was I going to tell my mother that this marriage was not going to happen either. Would she be able to handle it? I was terrified of breaking this news to her. But I knew there was no other choice.

"Look, this might sound crazy. But, how about we marry for now, only in papers, and let my Daadi go through the transplant and your mother the therapies. Once they both get better, we can call off our marriage. I will give you whatever compensation you want. We can have a detailed prenuptial agreement on that. You don't have to be a wife or anything, just be there in my house for a few months, and live your life as you want. And once things get better we can separate. So, how do you like the idea?", he came with a plan that shocked me.

"So, will you marry me?", he asked the one question I had sometimes dreamt for a guy to ask me.

Part 3

The paradox of it was killing me.

Finally a man proposed to me, a marriage, but it was the man I would not want to marry; worse was that he would never want to marry me either.

It wasn't actually a paradox; it was a joke, the joke of my life. The term marriage itself had made a mockery out of my life; it had humiliated me, belittled me and now it was in front of my eyes, jeering at me.

"There you go mute again, hello! Miss Chashmish with hearing disabilities, I asked you a question. Such questions aren't repeated. Did you hear it at all? Had I asked this question on TV, 1000s of girls would have queued in front of my house", he demanded an answer.

"Is marriage a joke to you?", I yelled.

"I don't know about marriage, but my Daadi's health isn't a joke to me", his face suddenly turned serious. And he continued, "I came to talk to you, because I wanted you to tell my Daadi that you don't want to marry me. If you deny, it would hurt her way less than me doing it. Now it seems like you are in a similar situation and I can relate to that. But yeah, it's all obviously up to you".

I got disoriented in thoughts again and he went silent too for a change. I knew I had to make a decision. Half an hour ago, my home was celebrating the thought of my marriage. My mother was smiling after ages. How could I snatch it away? But then this marriage was not going to last. Wouldn't that break her heart again? However, it was an immediate and temporary solution to her health. She would at least go through her radiotherapy and get rid of her tumour, without worries.

At the same time, I also felt for his grandmother. She was an affectionate and kind soul. The few times I had met her, she had been extremely loving towards me. Let alone breaking my mother's heart I didn't know if I could tell his Daadi after hearing about her health condition.

"Look, you don't have to worry much about what will happen after we divorce. Like I said, you will have a huge compensation, and we will have a pre nuptial agreement. And you will be famous while married to the rock star and later as his ex-wife. You will be a celebrity and you will have people dancing to your tunes. And once you are a celebrity, marriage and divorce don't matter much. You might even have many men dying to marry because of that", he was thinking ahead already.

"I don't give a damn about your money or your celebrity world. And I already told you I don't want to marry at all. Just because you think a certain way, it doesn't give you the right to judge everyone", I had to opinionate my displeasure on his preformed notions.

"Hmm, we have to see about that. Anyways, good for you if you are right about what you are saying. We still have to do prenuptial stuff, if we are to marry. But before that, you have to tell me your decision," he said calmly.

I didn't know what to say. My head started to spin with thoughts. "I need some time to think", I told him.

"Fair enough. Shall we head back?", he said starting the car.

I nodded and kept on looking outside, as we drove. My dilemma was growing by the minute. He was humming some song that only triggered my heart to beat faster since it somehow reminded me of my situation every moment.

"Like some ice candy?", he asked, when we were at a traffic signal and a little boy was at his window selling ice candies. I didn't answer.

"Rockstar, rockstar", the boy cheered.

Abhishek shushed him, may be to avoid attention and bought two candies from him. He gave him a big note not demanding change. He handed a candy to me and started to sip on his. I was in no mood to eat but the candy was already melting.

"Don't tell me you don't like ice candies, Miss No Smiles, come on, eat it before it melts away", he prompted.

"One can't smile when life places you in a quandrary", I smiled sarcastically.

"Like you are the only one with issues in this world", I heard him mutter and laugh.

A few drops of ice water fell off on my lap from the ice candy I was still holding. I had no choice but start sipping on it. The cold ice not only distracted my mind but calmed it down as well.

"If we do marry, how long do we stay married for?", I asked him. It was time for me to make up my mind.

"May be 6 months, up to a year? My Daadi's transplant and recovery might take a few months. What about your mother's treatment?, he enquired.

"It would be a similar timeline. If I am to marry, I have to think how to convince my mother of divorce. May be I will pursue my Ph.D. in Delhi, which I have been thinking of all this while", I shared my thoughts.

"Ph.D.? I thought you are already a professor", he remarked.

"No, I am only a lecturer. I have double masters in philosophy and English literature", I told him.

"Double masters? That's enough degrees for 4 people. Why do you need to study so much yaar? You know, I am a college dropout, don't tell anyone, okay? I used to bunk all my classes, well not all, I did attend literature classes, because the lady teacher was hot", I turned away when he talked things that my most infuriating students would. I could only wish he was my student and I could tell him off.

The next part of our journey back was silent. He still was whistling and humming some songs but it didn't bother me as much. I kept on thinking of the consequences and imagining scenarios that might arise if I told my mother now, that this marriage was not gonna happen or later that the marriage didn't work.

Slowly I was deciding on dealing with the immediate danger. It seemed the best decision in the interest of my mother and his grandmother. I could have a solid 6 months to a year to sort out my life and pursue my Ph.D., something I always dreamt of, something where I didn't have to rely on someone else.

But marrying a stranger was of course a risk for me. However, I could relate to Abhishek in one thing even though he was everything I did not like. He was concerned for his grandmother like I was for my elders. And he considered my mother's health too. That just gave me some assurance that although the marriage was going to be fake, he wouldn't be a bad guy at a personal level. And his Daadi was the kindest soul I had ever met. I could trust her trust in him and believe that he was not going to be a monster.

I was so lost in weighing the positives and negatives of my decision that I did not realize we were back in my colony, until the car stopped. I took a long breath and decided to tell him my decision. I said, "Suniye (listen)". He turned to look at me with a curiosity in his face. He raised his eyebrows prompting me to say whatever I had to say.

"I will marry you", I said and got out of the car without seeing his face for his reaction. As I started walking around the car, he rolled his window down and asked me to wait.

"Can I have your number? I need to arrange a meeting with the lawyers before we marry. We really need to do it. You can bring your lawyers too", he said taking his mobile phone in his hand. I dictated my number to him.

"Okay, pick one name. Chashmish, Babaji or Miss No Smiles? What do I save your number as?", he asked biting his lip. I couldn't believe his nerve to call me names like that.

"My name is Pragya. Pragya Arora", I said sternly and started to walk away.

"Grumpy cat would also be a nice name you know", he said in an elevated voice making sure I heard him.

By the time I looked back at him, he had driven off.

Edited by -Tia- - 9 years ago
nitarata thumbnail

Part 1

"Maa, who marries a rockstar?", I retorted.

"Aren't rockstars human beings, Pragya?", my mother had made up her mind to have the rockstar as her son in law.

"Honestly, Maa, I don't want to marry. I am tired of going through these engagements, marriage preparations only to end up in disappointments and heartbreaks. Even my best friend Suresh betrayed me. You know what, I am happy single. I have a respectable job and I have my life. You survived without a man most of your life, why do you think I wouldn't?", I brought up my real problem.

"But I don't want you to survive, Pragya. I want you to live, to live and enjoy life, like most people do. Although I never complained about it, I am sure you have a fair idea of how much I have struggled to raise you and your sister without a father. But the only reason I could do it was the two of you. You were my hope, my everything", my mother got emotional.

"But Maa, had it been any other guy, I would have felt comfortable, but this rockstar, he is rich, famous and haven't you seen him on TV? He is from a completely different world. How do you think I will even fit in his house, in his life?", I still tried to explain myself.

"Didn't you see how humble was his Daadi when she spoke to us? Similar to how I know you and Bulbul inside out, she knows her grandson. And that's why I agreed to go forward. You don't worry, it will work out", my mother reasoned out.

"What if it doesn't?" I really didn't want to agree with her.

"If it doesn't, I will be with you. I will support your every decision and stand by you. I will not let you suffer in a marriage that does not bring you happiness. But believe me, my heart says it will work out. Your kundali matches almost 100% with his. You both are made for each other. Pragya beta, please, listen to your mother. Trust me. Trust God and destiny. It will all be good. I beg you beta...", my mother now had tears in her eyes.

And it wasn't in me to see her cry. After all, she was my everything. From the time I can remember, she was my hero. She worked two jobs to feed my sister and me. She gave us the best education she could, even if it meant her not buying new clothes for years. She hid her pains and cries to make us believe in the goodness of life. Moreover, her health was giving up on her and she didn't need to deal with emotional stress because of me. She still had to go through 2 sessions of radiotherapy for her breast tumour. I didn't want her to be upset about my marriage and refuse to continue with her therapy, which I know she could do. So I decided, I would marry for her. Like she said, I was going to hope for the best although I didn't have any hopes.

And when I finally agreed, my house was a happy place. My mother was relived but my grandmother and my sister were excited. Those two were fans of that rockstar for a long time. And the fact that they could talk to him, take his autograph, and have him as a relative had them over the moon.

Within an hour my house had already gathered a festive mode. My Maamaji and his family had arrived and they started discussing the wedding preparations. My mother asked me to try on a necklace that was sent by the rockstar's Daadi for me. It was surely the heaviest and perhaps the most expensive piece of jewel I had ever seen but my heart felt heavier.

Right then, the doorbell rang and I told my mother I was going to collect milk since it was the time for our milkman's evening rounds.

"Today, two liters, and these days you seem to be mixing more water than ever", I complained as I placed our milk can outside the door.

"Excuse me" I heard a deep voice that felt vaguely familiar and I froze as I looked up.

"I don't sell milk. If you need my introduction, I am Abhi Mehra and yeah I remember you, Pragya, Pragya Arora, hmm?", spoke the rockstar.

I could not mutter a word for multiple reasons. I called him a milkman, he knew my name, and he was right in front of me and that was intimidating. More intimidating was his piercing gaze that I could not hold.

And I was thankful that my family, excited to see the rockstar at the door, came running.

Abhi joined his palms in a namastey to the elders and even touched my mother and Daadi's feet, something that I did not expect he would do. He was taken inside the house and an excited Bulbul came out of the room and jumped around, making sure he knew she was his crazy fan. I just stood in a corner and saw the mela my house suddenly turned into.

Abhi was treated to samosas and chai, but he was treated as if he was some celebrity, well, he was a celebrity. He refused chai but ate samosas. I was so busy observing every little thing that was going on like a silent spectator and my folks didn't remember me until he took my name again.

"Can I take Pragya out for sometime?", he asked my mother, and I tensed.

Had it been any other boy, my mother would have refused right away. But even she acted like a fan girl and told him there was no problem and it's very important for the boy and the girl to talk before marriage.

I did not want to go out with him. But there was no way I could have avoided it given my whole family was walking me out behind him.

The children from the whole of our colony had gathered outside our house to meet the rockstar. He gave high fives to some of them, autographs to others, before opening the door for me at the passenger's side and seated himself on the driver's seat. As he slowly drove, I felt all our neighbours eyes on us and I just wanted to disappear.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but the bigger question was why. I remembered that he mentioned remembering me. I also remembered that one time I met him at his concert venue.

Bulbul had wanted to go for his concert last year and due to mother's insistence to not let her go alone, I had to reluctantly tag along. When we reached the venue, the security guards told us we were supposed to get inside the hall half an hour earlier and didn't let us in. I had started yelling at them given we had spent a fortune on the tickets. Fed up of their rudeness, I had taken a dig at rockstar Abhi' saying he wasn't worth it. It had happened that Abhi, who had reached there just then, had witnessed it and he had gotten out of his car and interfered between us. Bulbul was hyper excited to see Abhi and she had begged him to let us see the concert. Abhi had offered her VIP seats and I had refused since I wasn't the one to fangirl him anyway. Bulbul was almost in tears and I had asked her to go in while I would come back and get her. She excitedly went inside and before I left, Abhi had stopped me and asked my name. When I told him my name, he wrote it on a ticket that he took out from his pocket and placed it in my hand saying if I found his music too boring, I could go hear an election rally speech for which he was given free VIP passes. He had also mocked that I could give my speeches in front of that politician and leave him and his fans alone.

"So, how was that election rally that night?" asked Abhi as if he knew what I just was thinking.

"Your memory seems strong", I commented.

"I don't forget my distractors", he said turning at me and raising an eyebrow.

Marriage between us sounded even more an impossible possibility and the idea itself sounded scary now. I wanted to know all the more why he had gotten me with him and I just wanted to get over with this.

After many minutes of silence, it seemed like we were on a highway that I did not recognize. He stopped and parked the car on the roadside.

"Sorry, there is no restaurant around here where I can get away without being noticed. I don't know about you politicians but a rockstar needs to worry about being mobbed" he let out a mock laugh.

"I am not a politician and please get to the point and tell me why did you bring me with you", I asked unable to be patient about this anymore.

"So the point is.. is it the 1 crore necklace? Is this why you agreed to marry me?", he turned towards me and kept looking.

That's when I realized I was still wearing his Daadi's necklace. I had thought it would be very expensive but hadn't realized it could be worth a crore. It must have been real diamonds, I wondered. The next moment I realized that he meant that I wanted to marry him for money, while the truth was I didn't even want to marry him. What was he saying?

I quickly unhooked the necklace and placed it in the cup holder between our seats. "I have enough money to feed myself and my mother has taught us not to salivate at someone else's money even if we didn't have a penny. So, keep this necklace to yourself", I burst out in anger and tried to open the door to get out of the car.

"Hey, hold on", he grabbed my wrist, stunning me. How could he just hold my hand like that? "I got you out with me and I will drop you home. And there are no special buses or taxis to take you home from here. It's a highway", he said letting my hand go.

I let out the breath I had held and was still thinking what should I be doing.

"There has to be something else if not the money. No one ever does anything without a motivation. What is it? Why do you want to marry me?", he questioned again.

"Can I ask you the same question? Why have you agreed to marry me?", I returned his question.

"Actually, I don't want to marry you at all", he said coldly.

That's exactly what I wanted but my heart felt pricked at his statement.

Part 2

One more man had rejected me.

And it hurt me. I should have been used to it by now, after countless rejections due to me being the dull, boring, not pretty and whatever reasons they wanted to come up with.

At least this rockstar rejected me right away, not taking it to engagement or the wedding mantap.

"Hey, hello! Pragya...", I heard him take my name. But I was too immersed in my thoughts to respond.

Why would he want to marry me, anyway? He must have beautiful and glamorous girls at his mercy. I only had thought about myself not wanting to marry him but now it made sense that he wouldn't want to marry me either.

But I decided I was going to honor my own decision of not being affected by rejections anymore.

"Hello! do you have issues just with your eyes or your ears too, Miss Chashmish?", I heard him say something clearly this time.

"If you don't want to marry me, it's good for you. Because I never wanted to marry you either. I think we are done here. Can you drop me home, now?" I said without looking at him.

"Ahaaa, really? Then, why would you play magic on my Daadi and trap her?" he mocked.

"Magic? Trap? I respect your grandma for her kindness. Yes, I happened to meet her several times. But that doesn't mean..", I was cut off before I finished my sentence.

"It meant you used her kindness to make her believe you are a bahu material so that she chants your name and decides to get you married to me. Isn't it?", he sounded serious now.

"Why on earth you are thinking like this? For your kind information, I am not dying to marry you. I don't want to marry you or anyone", I spoke agitated.

"If that is the case, why didn't you refuse when my Daadi made the proposal? Why has my Daadi begun with wedding arrangements? Why is my Daadi hell bent on bringing you as her bahu? Why is your family already treating me like a son in law?", he was throwing questions after questions.

"Listen, I was not even given a proper chance to decide. I am not at all interested in marriage or such relationships. My mother is forcing me into it in her own way. If I don't marry, she will get sick. She will not continue with her radiotherapy. I could not say No to her how much ever I wanted and tried. Why don't you refuse to your Daadi yourself? That would be a favor on me too.", I didn't know why but I felt as if I would break down.

He went silent for a few good moments.

"I can't believe I can find something in common with you. I wish I could tell Daadi that I don't want to marry myself. Her kidneys are failing and doctors are trying for a transplant. And it is very important that she is not stressed out. So, anything I do against her will only deteriorate her health and she will totally refuse to cooperate with her health, transplant etc. I had been to the US for a month for my concerts. Before leaving I had casually told her I would marry any girl she chooses, because she was always on my head to have me married. I come back here and she gives me your pictures and tells me she has done my roka with you and the marriage is in a week. What IS thisroka? Are we engaged?", he queried.

I also couldn't believe he was in the same boat as me. I felt bad for his grandmother who was so kind and loving in those few times I had met her.

"Roka is like a commitment between the two families. It's not engagement but a promise from both families that this marriage would happen. But, why don't you tell your Daadi whoever you want to get married to so that.." I reasoned.

"That's the thing, you know. Where will I bring a girl from?", he tapped on the steering wheel.

"Don't you have girlfriends? I mean a girlfriend? So many girls might be wanting to marry you", I wondered.

"I used to have girlfriends but now I just have random hookups. Of course every girl wants to marry me, except for celibate babaji types like you. But the point is I don't want to marry. I am not husband material and nor want to be one", he narrated his situation.

"So, what do you want to do now?", I asked him.

"Is your mother a drama queen like my Daadi? And when is her therapy or whatever you talked about?", he questioned sincerely.

I wouldn't call my mother a drama queen, but I thought if I refused to marry, my mother would bring the roof down, cry buckets, and knowingly worsen her health. If that is being a drama queen, may be she is!

"She has breast tumor. She needs to undergo radiotherapy sessions in the next few months to completely get rid of the cancer. It's unfortunate that she equates her therapy to me being married", I sighed.

He ran his fingers through his hair and seemed to be in thoughts. I was still trying to make sense of all that we talked in the last few minutes. I was vaguely relieved but deeply pained at the same time. I didn't know how was I going to tell my mother that this marriage was not going to happen either.Would she be able to handle it? I was terrified of breaking this news to her. But I knew there was no other choice.

"Look, this might sound crazy. But, how about we marry for now, only in papers, and let my Daadi go through the transplant and your mother the therapies. Once they both get better, we can call off our marriage. I will give you whatever compensation you want. We can have a detailed prenuptial agreement on that. You don't have to be a wife or anything, just be there in my house for a few months, and live your life as you want. And once things get better we can separate. So, how do you like the idea?", he came with a plan that shocked me.

"So, will you marry me?", he asked the one question I had sometimes dreamt for a guy to ask me.

Part 3

The paradox of it was killing me.

Finally a man proposed to me, a marriage, but it was the man I would not want to marry; worse was that he would never want to marry me either.

It wasn't actually a paradox; it was a joke, the joke of my life. The term marriage itself had made a mockery out of my life; it had humiliated me, belittled me and now it was in front of my eyes, jeering at me.

"There you go mute again, hello! Miss Chashmish with hearing disabilities, I asked you a question. Such questions aren't repeated. Did you hear it at all? Had I asked this question on TV, 1000s of girls would have queued in front of my house", he demanded an answer.

"Is marriage a joke to you?", I yelled.

"I don't know about marriage, but my Daadi's health isn't a joke to me", his face suddenly turned serious. And he continued, "I came to talk to you, because I wanted you to tell my Daadi that you don't want to marry me. If you deny, it would hurt her way less than me doing it. Now it seems like you are in a similar situation and I can relate to that. But yeah, it's all obviously up to you".

I got disoriented in thoughts again and he went silent too for a change. I knew I had to make a decision. Half an hour ago, my home was celebrating the thought of my marriage. My mother was smiling after ages. How could I snatch it away? But then this marriage was not going to last. Wouldn't that break her heart again? However, it was an immediate and temporary solution to her health. She would at least go through her radiotherapy and get rid of her tumour, without worries.

At the same time, I also felt for his grandmother. She was an affectionate and kind soul. The few times I had met her, she had been extremely loving towards me. Let alone breaking my mother's heart I didn't know if I could tell his Daadi after hearing about her health condition.

"Look, you don't have to worry much about what will happen after we divorce. Like I said, you will have a huge compensation, and we will have a pre nuptial agreement. And you will be famous while married to the rock star and later as his ex-wife. You will be a celebrity and you will have people dancing to your tunes. And once you are a celebrity, marriage and divorce don't matter much. You might even have many men dying to marry because of that", he was thinking ahead already.

"I don't give a damn about your money or your celebrity world. And I already told you I don't want to marry at all. Just because you think a certain way, it doesn't give you the right to judge everyone", I had to opinionate my displeasure on his preformed notions.

"Hmm, we have to see about that. Anyways, good for you if you are right about what you are saying. We still have to do prenuptial stuff, if we are to marry. But before that, you have to tell me your decision," he said calmly.

I didn't know what to say. My head started to spin with thoughts. "I need some time to think", I told him.

"Fair enough. Shall we head back?", he said starting the car.

I nodded and kept on looking outside, as we drove. My dilemma was growing by the minute. He was humming some song that only triggered my heart to beat faster since it somehow reminded me of my situation every moment.

"Like some ice candy?", he asked, when we were at a traffic signal and a little boy was at his window selling ice candies. I didn't answer.

"Rockstar, rockstar", the boy cheered.

Abhishek shushed him, may be to avoid attention and bought two candies from him. He gave him a big note not demanding change. He handed a candy to me and started to sip on his. I was in no mood to eat but the candy was already melting.

"Don't tell me you don't like ice candies, Miss No Smiles, come on, eat it before it melts away", he prompted.

"One can't smile when life places you in a quandrary", I smiled sarcastically.

"Like you are the only one with issues in this world", I heard him mutter and laugh.

A few drops of ice water fell off on my lap from the ice candy I was still holding. I had no choice but start sipping on it. The cold ice not only distracted my mind but calmed it down as well.

"If we do marry, how long do we stay married for?", I asked him. It was time for me to make up my mind.

"May be 6 months, up to a year? My Daadi's transplant and recovery might take a few months. What about your mother's treatment?, he enquired.

"It would be a similar timeline. If I am to marry, I have to think how to convince my mother of divorce. May be I will pursue my Ph.D. in Delhi, which I have been thinking of all this while", I shared my thoughts.

"Ph.D.? I thought you are already a professor", he remarked.

"No, I am only a lecturer. I have double masters in philosophy and English literature", I told him.

"Double masters? That's enough degrees for 4 people. Why do you need to study so much yaar? You know, I am a college dropout, don't tell anyone, okay? I used to bunk all my classes, well not all, I did attend literature classes, because the lady teacher was hot", I turned away when he talked things that my most infuriating students would. I could only wish he was my student and I could tell him off.

The next part of our journey back was silent. He still was whistling and humming some songs but it didn't bother me as much. I kept on thinking of the consequences and imagining scenarios that might arise if I told my mother now, that this marriage was not gonna happen or later that the marriage didn't work.

Slowly I was deciding on dealing with the immediate danger. It seemed the best decision in the interest of my mother and his grandmother. I could have a solid 6 months to a year to sort out my life and pursue my Ph.D., something I always dreamt of, something where I didn't have to rely on someone else.

But marrying a stranger was of course a risk for me. However, I could relate to Abhishek in one thing even though he was everything I did not like. He was concerned for his grandmother like I was for my elders. And he considered my mother's health too. That just gave me some assurance that although the marriage was going to be fake, he wouldn't be a bad guy at a personal level. And his Daadi was the kindest soul I had ever met. I could trust her trust in him and believe that he was not going to be a monster.

I was so lost in weighing the positives and negatives of my decision that I did not realize we were back in my colony, until the car stopped. I took a long breath and decided to tell him my decision. I said, "Suniye (listen)". He turned to look at me with a curiosity in his face. He raised his eyebrows prompting me to say whatever I had to say.

"I will marry you", I said and got out of the car without seeing his face for his reaction. As I started walking around the car, he rolled his window down and asked me to wait.

"Can I have your number? I need to arrange a meeting with the lawyers before we marry. We really need to do it. You can bring your lawyers too", he said taking his mobile phone in his hand. I dictated my number to him.

"Okay, pick one name. Chashmish, Babaji or Miss No Smiles? What do I save your number as?", he asked biting his lip. I couldn't believe his nerve to call me names like that.

"My name is Pragya. Pragya Arora", I said sternly and started to walk away.

"Grumpy cat would also be a nice name you know", he said in an elevated voice making sure I heard him.

By the time I looked back at him, he had driven off.

Part 4

All I had wanted was my own little family, an understanding husband and two kids I would raise in my home sweet home.

Tarun

Virat

Rajat...

I was amazed I didn't even remember the names of the men who rejected me after Rajat. There were at least 5 more. Some thought I was not pretty, some said I was boring. Some wanted my beautiful sister instead. That reminded me of my best friend Suresh, who wanted to marry me because he felt no one was marrying me, while he desired my sister too. Thankfully, I had found out before it was too late and called off the wedding myself, for a change, unlike my other few marriage alliances that were broken by the groom or his family.

And the last one was Abhishek. Although I had agreed to a fake marriage with him, I had decided this was going to be it. My mother wanted to see me as a bride and she was going to. And once this marriage ends, I planned that I would leave Mumbai and shift to Delhi. I always wanted to pursue my Ph.D. course at the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi and I was finally going to do that. That would keep me away from the prying neighbors and even my mother wouldn't be as worried since she wouldn't see me every day.

One thing I knew for sure. Even if I refused to marry Abhishek, my mother was going to find another guy and that guy would reject me, yet again. The cycle would never end. I was sick of it. I wanted to focus my life in something else other than marrying and making a family.

Marriage just wasn't my cup of tea.

I felt a lot better forecasting the next year of my life as I tried to sleep that night. Images of the car ride with Abhishek and his words kept on interrupting in between.

The next day I went to an Internet cafe and printed out applications for the Ph.D. program. I also collected information on the possible advisors I want to pursue my research with. Meanwhile, it seemed like Abhishek had given a head start to the wedding preparations since I saw a lot of exchanges between my mother and his Daadi.

Hi Chashmish, meet me at Marine plaza at 6 pm. Call me when you are at the reception ;-)- Abhi

Bulbul was the one to let me know of the text from Abhi, since my mobile phone was left in the living room. She was excited that Abhi had called me for a date. She was also intrigued with the offensive nickname he had given me. She was his fan and of course she was going to call his name calling antic cute, very much to my fury.

I guessed Abhishek wanted me to do the pre-nuptial agreements. I had never been to a posh hotel like that but when I reached, I was nervous. The people around were so different from me that I felt out of place. I called Abhishek and he did not pick my call. I waited for a minute at the reception wondering if I should call again and a person dressed in formals introduced himself as Abhishek's lawyer and took me to a suite. Abhishek was waiting for us there.

"Hi, thanks for coming. Mr. Bose, you have met her already, my partner in crime", Abhishek introduced me to the lawyer.

Mr. Bose went through the details of the agreement. He explained to me that both Abhishek and I needed to declare our assets and come to an agreement over the provisions after divorce. I literally had no financial asset worth mentioning and hence the agreement was only going to be about Abhishek's belongings. I was amazed at how many properties he owned and how much he was financially worth. I couldn't believe he had that much money at this young age. But then, I was repulsed thinking how it was all about money. I let the lawyer finish what he had to say and at the end of it I said I didn't want a penny out of Abhishek's pocket for alimony and I could give it in writing.

But the lawyer argued it wasn't as simple as that, and I could refuse to accept alimony when we actually divorced. It was decided that Abhishek was going to offer me a huge property near my house as compensation, some other things and a certain amount of money. I was not going to have any rights over his music or the house he currently lived in and a bunch of other clauses were put forward. Most of which went over my head for I was not really concentrating on this cynical agreement of a fake marriage. I signed wherever they asked me to and I just wanted to get out of that place as soon as I could.

The whole ordeal took more than an hour and finally the lawyer took our leave.

"Thanks, Chashmish. Look, I don't trust anyone. That's why we had to do this", Abhishek explained.

"Hmm, money matters before everything else", I said sarcastically.

"Money does things to people you can't even imagine, Chashmish", he said in a quick reply.

I wanted to ask him to stop calling me Chashmish, I wanted to argue I didn't give a damn about his money, but my mind was thinking how whatever fake relationship I was going to start with him is going to be based on clauses and not basic human emotions and values. And what was there to prove in a fake relationship anyway?

I got up to leave for home but Abhishek insisted he was going to drop me. I was in no mood to argue with him and hence agreed.

On our way to my home, he tried to pick up conversations about random things and I hardly responded.

"What am I getting myself into!! Gotta thank my luck, this is only a fake marriage. They say shaadi is barbaadi (weddings are destruction), truly so. Can anyone imagine dealing with a wife like this? So much nakhras (tantrums) that she doesn't even respond to half an hour of an attempt at conversation? And my Daadi thinks this is the best girl on earth", I heard him suddenly talking at a loud voice and all I could do was looking at him amused.

"How can you talk like this when we are doing something so strange and lying to everyone around us?", I couldn't help asking him.

"At least you opened your mouth. I am blessed. By the way, now that we have agreed on this fake marriage, what's the point in maintaining a grouchy face and bore me to death?", he said as he stopped the car in front of my house.

"It's not easy..", I tried to say something and I stopped midway as he pulled my cheeks to make a smiley face.

"Wondering if you can move your facial muscles at all. Hmm?", he made such a silly face that had me smile a little. He shook his head. I got out of the car and started walking to my house.

Although I was still smiling, I did not like that he actually made me smile.

"Smile all you want in your house. I won't even know", I heard him say as he drove off.

Needless to say Bulbul saw me smiling and kept teasing me over it for the next few days.

The next few days were spent in wedding preparations. The wedding was only a week away and we were not going to have a dedicated day for engagement. It was decided that we will exchange rings on the wedding day itself. I did not meet Abhi until the day of wedding but his wedding planners often visited me instructing me over my wedding dress and even had me do rehearsals in the marriage hall. Abhi wasn't a part of any of the preparations and his Daadi had told us he was out of station for a concert. Although I often remembered him, I brushed away my thoughts thinking that there was no point.

Everyone was excited except myself and of course the groom. My mother and his Daadi were running around with so much enthusiasm and joy that I was scared of thinking scenario that could occur when this marriage was to end. But I was going to deal with that later, as it came.

The wedding itself was a hoopla. Although it was conducted at the marriage hall owned by my mother, the place had turned into something else. Police security, and every possible media company had surrounded the hall. Faces that I only had seen on TV or movies were a part of the wedding guests. I was told by Abhishek's Daadi that he had instructed the wedding to be simple with minimal guests. I didn't know what was grand if this was simple.

But the wedding was short since most of the rituals were avoided or done for namesake. The actual wedding ceremony quietly happened in the Gurdwara in front of our house, something that made me ashamed that I was faking it in front of God. And later on there was a reception that had a routine of Abhishek introducing me to a celebrity guest and the guest hugging me, kissing my cheeks and saying some exaggerated praises while looking at me disapprovingly.

Abhishek hardly spoke to me throughout the wedding, nor did I make an attempt. We always had someone or the other surrounding us or talking to us, so, most part was just us fake smiling and going with the flow. But I knew how annoyed he was, when he rolled his eyes at me having to bear with every presumptuous guest.

I was never the emotional one in the family, but when I had to leave my mother's house for good I had broken down. I knew I was not only going to my married house, perhaps going away from this house forever. I knew my mother wouldn't really want to see me in this house ever again although she loves me to death. So, basically I was leaving the house I lived for pretty much all my life, and that was unbearable. I simply cried my heart hugging my mother, sister and Daadi. Abhishek's Daadi was with me the whole time trying to console me while she assured my folks. It's when she took me to the car I noticed Abhishek was already in the car looking away. Daadi sat with us too with me in the middle of Abhishek and her.

Daadi kept on talking to me with her soothing words often trying to get Abhishek to talk while he kept looking away or answered in monosyllables. But the only thing he said a few times was how he now wanted Daadi to get regular with her dialysis so that the kidney transplantation could be done soon.

When we reached the Mehra house, I finally took a look at the huge mansion I was going to live in for the next few months. I learnt that Abhishek's uncle and his family also lived in the same house. However, I was surprised to see that the number of house helpers exceeded the number of people actually living in the house. Daadi took her time to introduce me to everyone while also instructing how I was their boss from now on, which made me feel embarrassed.

It was almost midnight when I was taken to Abhishek's room by his Bhabhi and was left to wait for him sitting in the middle of the decorated bed. The first thing I did after Bhabhi left was to jump out of the bed. Suddenly was feeling restless having put in a room full of flashy stuff, a decorated bed for newlyweds and the worst part being the realization that I had to share the room with Abhishek. I paced around the room registering every little object that reminded a certain 'rockstar Abhi' and once I felt a bit better, sat on the large sofa.

"Can you believe I had to wait for two hours to come to MY room? That's because you had to be here before me!", Abhi lashed into the room and closed the door behind him. I got up from the sofa and looked at him.

"And what is this flowers and all?", Abhishek started removing the flower decorations on the bed. "What are you looking at, come help me", he ordered and I sure knew having the decoration removed will ease some of my discomfort too. Between the two of us, we cleared the flowers in no time.

I then noticed Abhishek removing his sherwani followed by the undershirt in the room itself. I was horrified at that act from him and cleared my throat to get his attention in case he didn't remember I was in the room too.

"What? Will you sleep in this heavy stuff or what? You can use the washroom or the closet to change", he told me and I didn't want anything other than running away from that room. I found my suitcase that the driver had left in the room and rolled it inside with me into the closet. I closed the door and started to remove my jewels.

It took me a while to undo my hair and get the heavy dress off of my body. As I started wearing my clothes I heard continuous knocks on the door. When I didn't answer immediately I heard him say "hey dumb Chashmish, I need my night wear. I just took a shower and I am freezing here".

I quickly wore my salwar kameez and didn't want to go out without clearing my stuff. I decided to find his clothes and with a lot of searching I found what I thought to be night wear from his humungous collection.

"What did you say? Dumb! Stop calling me these names", I said strictly as I opened the door and handed him his clothes.

"Oh you can talk, I thought you had lost your voice! Did you even say a word since we are in this room? And people who don't talk are called dumb", he was ready with his explanations. My mind did not register much since his still wet, only towel wrapped body did distract me for a few moments. I quickly went back to the closet and started folding my wedding clothes.

When I came out of the closet, he was spread on his bed already. He got up from the bed seeing me.

"I will sleep on the sofa, you can take the bed. Yeah, I can't share the bed with you. I don't want any complications you know", he winked.

"You won't fit on this sofa. You use your bed. I will sleep on the sofa", I said calculating how his 6 foot tall and broad frame wouldn't fit on the sofa.

"As you wish! Good night", he said getting back to his bed.

I got a comforter I had seen in the closet and laid myself on the sofa. It then occurred to me what he could have meant when he said he didn't want complications. I thought I needed to give him back on that.

"I am not looking forward to share bed with you either", I almost yelled.

"Of course, Miss Babaji", he said as he turned away from me.

Finally silence prevailed for some time and I closed my eyes hoping to sleep. A few minutes later I noticed him waking up and getting a water bottle from the fridge. He took out something from his side table drawer and it seemed like some pills that he gulped with water. Thinking he must have a headache, I felt my head to be hurting too. It took me a while to even feel sleepy for I kept on thinking about the events of the day, my mother, Daadi, sister and the future. And that's when I heard him snore lightly and rather than being disturbing, it somehow gave me a rhythm that I felt lulling me to sleep.

Part 5

My world was upside down when I woke up.

I saw a two feet in air, and followed them to find a muscular bare chest of a man, which continued to his head touching the ground. Even my eyes without spectacles recognized the man as Rockstar Abhi.

Why was rockstar Abhi upside down in front of me?

The next moment told me it was actually my one-day-old husband, Abhishek. I finally came out of my sleep to recognize that I was in his room. I sat up in a jerk and found my glasses to confirm my thoughts.

"Good morning, Chashmish. You sleep a lot for a teacher. Aren't you guys supposed to wake up at 4 am and come up with ideas to torture students?" he said as he walked towards me. I knew I would be annoyed with whatever he said but I hardly heard him since my focus was to avoid looking at his bare chest. I wished I didn't have to see him like that every day.

I rapidly felt conscious of not wearing my dupatta. I grabbed it from the side of the sofa and covered myself. He looked at me as if I did something unbelievable but walked away grabbing his sunglasses that were on the fridge near the sofa. He wore them and started working out with his dumbbells.

Thinking how weird was it to wear sunglasses indoors, I decided to quickly take a shower. I gathered my toiletries and clothes as he crammed up his music system with his own songs. I was amazed I recognizedhis songs. It was of course courtesy Bulbul who played them in our shared room every now and then.

I quickly locked myself in the bathroom and breathed a sigh of relief. And I was in for pretty much a shock to have a look at the most lavish bathroom I had ever seen. I thought at least five people could easily sleep in that room if Abhishek's family had too many guests staying over. While I just made peace with the idea of having such a huge bathroom, I was in for more blows to witness the number of perfumes, after shaves, creams and what not occupied the shelves. I never had thought a man could use such stuff that too in such numbers. Bulbul's collection, which wasn't even 10% of Abhishek's, often, drove me mad. To continue my disbelief, the bathtub was a mini swimming pool. Wondering what Abhishek actually does in the tub, I decided to take bath just using the shower.

I undressed myself and removed my jewelry. However, I couldn't bring myself to remove the mangalsutrathat Abhishek had tied to my neck the previous day. I was quite annoyed with myself for my regard to these symbols that too in a fake marriage. I avoided thinking more about it for my own sanity and quickly finished my shower. When I came out, I noticed he was doing push ups. I was counting his push ups in my mind without realizing and started doing my hair in front of the mirror.

"Did you take a shower or colour your dress from pink to blue?", I saw his mirror image besides mine fixing his hair.

The smell of his sweat and his mere presence at a foot's distance felt awkward in more ways than one.

"So you always wear the chatri uniforms in different colors?", he seemed to want an explanation about my clothing.

"These are not chatris, they are called anarkalis. They are the latest fashion. Everyone wears them", I replied.

"Really?", he looked at me as with fake amusement. And the look didn't sit well with me.

"At least I am not like you. Who wears sunglasses indoors?", I threw back at him.

"I do and I don't care if no one else does", he took his sunglasses off and met my eyes in the mirror.

I rolled my eyes and took off from that room. I wanted to go see Abhishek's Daadi but didn't know which one her room would be. The house helper Robin guided me to her room.

"Good morning beti", the old woman was her kind and gracious self. I hugged her and sat by her on her bed.

"Hope Abhi didn't bother you too much", Daadi pulled my cheek. I just smiled back and to avoid the topic I asked her if she had her breakfast.

She gave me an overview of everyone's routine in the house. From what I understood, although the family was full of people, not all of them had breakfast together. Daadi ate in her room because she woke up early and was advised by the doctors to not carry empty stomach since she needed to take her medicine. Abhishek's breakfast habits were haphazard and bizarre with his own menu. The rest of the family ate in their own accord.

Robin brought breakfast for Daadi and she asked him to make bread pakoras for me, which he seemed to expertize at. She also reminded him to serve cinnamon coffee' for Abhishek along with his breakfast of the day.

I requested Daadi to eat her breakfast without waiting for mine since it would go cold. She asked me to read out the news paper and I started doing so. She told me how she liked Punjabi newspapers more than the Hindi ones that came to the house. I opened her favorite online Punjabi news paper in her mobile and read out the headlines. I helped her take her medicine and I noticed that her feet were swollen similar to how my mother's used to when she had blood pressure issues. I offered to massage her legs, which I knew helped my mother. Although she was reluctant to let me do it, I took charge and started rubbing her feet.

Robin brought my breakfast by then and Abhishek walked in too with a short glass of wheatgrass extract for Daadi. Abhishek reminded Daadi to take her medicine but Daadi informed him that I had already helped her with them and she had taken them. She taunted him on how he couldn't read Punjabi while I could.

"I am too cool to read Punjabi, Daadi", Abhishek said as he had Daadi drink the green extract with his own hands.

"Beti, he always failed in Punjabi exams", Daadi revealed.

"You really wanted me to be a boring Punjabi professor, Daadi?", Abhi said looking at me and I scrunched my nose. Later the Daadi-grandson duo involved in an argumentative conversation about how he should take a break from work and take me out for a honeymoon. He argued he wouldn't go for it until her kidney transplant is done, much to my relief. I didn't even like the idea of honeymoon since I couldn't imagine being alone somewhere else with Abhishek given how he was growing intimidating on me.

Abhishek was going to go back to work from that day itself much to Daadi's displeasure. I told them that I needed to get back to work too after a week since my summer vacation would be over.

Without notice, Abhishek took a bite of the bread paroka from my plate. "See you in the evening, my sweet annoying Daadi", Abhishek placed a tight kiss on Daadi's cheek and turned to leave.

"What about her? Say bye to her also with a kiss", Daadi pointed at me much to my awe.

Abhishek made an annoyed face at Daadi. Daadi returned it with an angry glare.

"You always win, Daadi", Abhi walked up to me and pressed his lips on my cheek before I realized what he was up to. Shivers ran through my body from that point of contact. He had walked out of the door while Daadi shook her head smiling.

"Husband and wife should eat from the same plate. Love grows you know. Abhishek's Daadaji and I always used to eat from the same plate. Finish that piece, it's a good shagun (omen)", Daadi said looking at a half piece of bread pakora left on my plate.

I was never used to eat left over food from someone else's mouth. And here I was trying to eat food that touched my fake husband's mouth while the kiss from his lips still lingered on my cheek. Daadi's eyes were all on me as she expected me to finish that sullied piece of food.

That night before going to bed I really wanted to bring up the kiss that bothered me for the whole day.

"You can't take such liberties with me in this fake marriage", I told Abhishek while he was engaged in surfing TV channels.

"What liberties?", he asked as if he had no idea.

"That... kiss", I said not looking at him.

"Oh.. Ohohoho... kiss!! You call that a kiss? Oh come on, that does not qualify as a kiss. I kiss at least 20 people like that everyday, most of them being girls. And you have no idea how desperate my fan girls are for it", he said mockingly.

"I am not one of those girls for your information", this I said looking at him.

"Why do I forget you are Babaji Chashmish! Kisses are banned for you. May be you can cheat with flying kisses?", he winked at me and blew kisses.

I wanted to pull my hair, rather his hair for all the anger, embarrassment and jitters he was generating in me at the same time. I gave him a disgusted scowl and went straight to sleep on the sofa.

I again noticed that night Abhishek taking his headache pills before he went to bed.

The next few days of my life had similar routines except that I visited my mother's house a couple of times, one time with Abhishek and Daadi. I made sure my mother fixed appointments for her radiotherapies. My respect for Abhishek's Daadi had been consistently growing for I admired her kindness and wisdom along with her knack for life.

Abhishek was growing more intimidating but intriguing. I could not read his mind, he confused me more often than not. He seemed arrogant and rude but ridiculous and sincere too. His dedication to his grandmother was something I appreciated, but he didn't seem to give a damn about a lot of other things. He often talked about money and was immersed in his uncanny world of glamour. He would be away most of the times and when he was home and the times we had to spend with each other in his room, he would be argumentative and taunting, perhaps teasing. I was slowly growing to go head on with him in our silly but sometimes serious disputes but often wondered why was I even involving myself so much. But he had this infuriating ability to get to my nerves and make me give back as much as I resisted.

The rockstar had actually become an interesting piece of study material for me in this one week of spending time with him, even though I had no such intentions. I never tried to invade his personal space, but there was this one thing that I had become curious about. Every night before he actually slept, he would swallow some pills. I initially thought it could be for headache or something but he didn't seem to have a headache otherwise.

That afternoon when he was away, I decided to organize the room a little bit. I had noticed that he mostly threw his stuff around all over the place and frantically searched for them at the last moment. When I went to put his dog tag chains in his side table drawer I saw a couple of bottles with pills. Although I knew I was not fair, I could not resist myself from learning what they were for. I read out the names on them, but didn't really recognize them. When I googled and found information on Internet I was shocked.

Valium and Xanax. Why did the happy love singing heartthrob rockstar need sleeping pills?

Part 6

"Abhi, how come you are up so early? Where is bahu?", I heard Daadi's voice as I was about to come out of the shower that morning.

"Here, in my pocket, Daadi, look", Abhishek was showing Daadi his sweatpants' pockets.

"Always joking around, you are a married man now, be responsible. But I am happy you are waking up early. I haven't been able to keep an eye on you due to my health for the past two years. But now I have my bahu to set you right. Bahu, you have done some magic on his sleeping habits. He used to be such a sleepyhead. I had to pour glasses of water on him so that he reached college on time", Daadi said as she gave us prashad and went out of the room.

Sleepyhead! That was definitely a contradiction to what I saw for the past few nights. I still hadn't figured out why he often took those sleep aid pills. I sometimes used to randomly wake up in the middle of the nights and when I did, I had once found Abhishek in the balcony drinking alcohol and another time playing a video game. He sure had some issue with his sleep. Was it a sleep disorder or was there something that bothered him, I couldn't tell. I wanted to ask him but I thought it was not in my authority.

It was a Sunday morning and Abhishek was home because of a cancelled concert. I had decided to get the whole family together at the breakfast table since I had planned for an idli-vada breakfast. I was used to eat with everyone together in my mother's house and I could see Daadi wanted it too, but for some reason it was not happening in the Mehra mansion. I had made friends with Abhishek's sweet niece and nephew, Babli and Bunty, and they were excited for the idli-vada breakfast. Their parents, Raj Bhaiyya and Mitali Bhabhi, tagged along with them for the breakfast. Abhishek's other cousin brother, Aakash was nice to me and he had obliged to my request to bring his parents to the table too. I got Daadi with me and the only person left was Abhishek.

Daadi asked me to bring Abhishek down and I went to his room and asked him to join us for the breakfast. He initially refused to come down, but when I said even the kids are waiting for him, he agreed. He greeted Daadi, Bunty, Babli and Aakash one to one while he just said a general good morning to the rest of them. I served the food I cooked to everyone.

Daadi asked me to eat as well and I saw that there were two chairs empty, one besides Abhishek and the other across him. I decided to go for the one across. "You are not sitting there" I was taken aback to hear Abhishek's stern voice as soon as I pulled the chair out to seat myself. His eyes that were looking at me were burning with a deep emotion.

"Beta, he wants you to sit besides him, not away from him", Daadi tried to ease the awkwardness caused by Abhishek's sudden outburst but everyone except me seemed to understand the situation. I was feeling hurt and embarrassed but not wanting to make Daadi feel bad I thought I should sit besides Abhishek.

Before I sat, Abhishek got up and walked away.

"Pragya, Abhishek's sister Aaliyah used to sit on that chair and she didn't allow anyone else to use it. Needless to say she was the apple of Abhi's eye. Don't feel bad beta, he must have remembered her because of the chair. She is gone but he doesn't let us remove that chair, nor any one of us use it. We should have told you about it beforehand", Daadi explained me the situation.

I had known that Abhishek had lost his parents at a young age but my heart went out for him hearing him losing his sister too.

Bunty and Babli lightened up the atmosphere since they loved the breakfast. Slowly the elders started eating too and everyone seemed to enjoy their food. I myself hardly could eat anything. Once everyone almost finished eating, I took Abhishek's plate and went to his room. He was busy playing a video game, relentlessly shooting at moving cars.

"Breakfast", I said in a loud voice to gather his attention.

"Listen, Chashmish. You don't need to try bringing this family together. Had I told them they will get a 1000 Rs. each for showing up at the breakfast table, everyone would show up without fail, everyday", he said sarcastically.

"Bunty and Babli did not come for 1000 Rs.", I said and he looked away.

"Anyways, I know I was rude. That chair belongs to my sister. I don't let anyone sit on it. But you didn't know. So it's my fault I yelled at you. Can I make it up to you with a free collection of all my music albums?", he offered.

I looked at him genuinely surprised that he was offering that to me after I have told him so many times how I am not his fan.

"A lifetime gym membership for body building? Nah, you should actually have a body to build you know. How about matching glasses for your chatris, every color same design?", he said so and I couldn't believe he said all that. He was looking at me with a serious face expecting an answer to his proposal. I was appalled but I didn't know from where a tiny smile crept on my lips.

"Eat your breakfast if you really want to make up for whatever", I told him handing him his breakfast plate.

He took the plate from my hands and said, "you cooked it, hmm? It's gonna be a torture to eat this. Not bad for a revenge". I simply rolled my eyes and sat on the sofa with my laptop. I wanted to work on my Ph.D. applications.

"Can I have some more of this torture. It's not good to do anything halfway", two minutes later I heard him saying. I gladly walked down the stairs to serve him more idli-vada with chutney and sambar.

That evening I worked on my Ph.D. applications for the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi and realized I needed to take printouts of my CV.

Abhishek walked into the room right then and I asked him if there is an Internet cafe nearby where I could take printouts.

"What do you think, rockstar doesn't have printers in his house or what?", he asked me to follow him to the music room where he had not one but three printers.

I placed my laptop on the table and Abhishek connected a printer to it. I tried to print but it didn't work. Abhishek came near me and leaned over by my chair trying to fix the problem. He was so close to me that I was feeling awkwardly conscious. The smell of his perfume and his dangling dog tags that touched my shoulder messed with my senses.

"Hello, don't you hear me? For the third time I am asking how many copies you want", he shouted in my ear and that's when I realized I was lost somewhere else.

"Three copies", I told him and he gave print command. I heard the printer making noise and got up to get the printouts, more because I wanted to get away from his spell.

"Chashmish, you are almost 30. I had thought you were like 45 or so", he said as he noticed my age in my CV that I was printing.

"I don't use 100 face creams like you to look younger, the ones that you have decorated in your bathroom", I gave back.

"Hey, it's my job to look good. How do you think I get girls to forget themselves in my presence?", he looked at me with a naughty grin.

And I was thankful when he walked out of the room right after that. I wanted to thank him for helping me with the print outs but the fact that he had caught me forgetting myself occupied me. What bothered me more though was the realization that I was getting attracted to him. I didn't know if it was because he was my husband though fake or just pure biology that he was a male around me. However, I couldn't remember feeling this way for Suresh, whom I had thought I loved when we sort of went around for a few days between our engagement and the wedding that broke before it happened. I warned myself not to delve on this attraction for it was meaningless.

I prepared envelopes to post my Ph.D. application that night. When Abhishek came to the room I had my envelopes all over his bed. I tried to clear them up and he noticed the address on one of the envelopes that fell to the ground and he helped me pick it up. He asked me why was I sending this bundles of material to a university and I explained I was going to pursue my Ph.D. after this marriage stint was over.

"First of all, I don't get why anyone needs to study so much. But if you do, why would you go for a university in Delhi? Why not go for the best like Oxford or Harvard?" he questioned.

"I have never thought of going abroad. I don't even know if I can get admissions in those places", I expressed my apprehensiveness.

"How can they refuse admissions to Chashmish? You belong among those boring people. If they still refuse, tell them you are rockstar's wife. British council library is near my recording studio. Come with me and get applications for Oxford or Cambridge tomorrow", he told me certainly.

I didn't know why he spoke the way he did.

I thought about studying abroad as I tried to sleep that night. It actually sounded a better idea than studying in India not just because it would be better aboard but because it would distract myself and my mother of my marriage more effectively.

It took a long time for me to go to sleep that night and I noticed that Abhishek was tossing and turning around too. I was somehow happy that he didn't take his sleeping pills that night but just when I thought of it, I noticed him go for them.

And it pained me.

The next morning I did go with Abhishek to the British council library. I couldn't believe I was recognized as the rockstar's wife when I stood in the queue. Abhishek had waited in the car to avoid being mobbed. I was appalled when some people clicked pictures with me and even started enquiring with me about Abhishek. I avoided the fan frenzy as much as I could.

I spoke with the counselor about the possible opportunities I could avail in Britain and it seemed like the University of St. Andrews had the Ph.D. program that suited me the most. But when it came to buy the application, I realized it would cost me more money than what I had in my purse. I had been under a tight budget due to issues with my mother's marriage hall business and I had to decide against applying.

When I went back to Abhishek's car he enquired me about the application. My excuses didn't work and I had to reveal to him my financial problem.

"There should be at least 10,000 Rs. Use the credit card if you need more", he said handing me over his wallet.

"I can't take money from you. I will buy the application when I have enough money for it", I refused his offer.

"Do you want me to go buy it? Come on yaar. It would be shameful if I get clicked buying a Ph.D. application. It will kill my image", he insisted.

I did not reply to him because I really didn't want to take his money.

"Okay, fine. I know people in the British council. I will have them send you the applications. By the way, you will tell me which university you decided on or shall I get applications for all British universities?", he was relentless.

"I will return you the money as soon as I get my next salary", I said as I went back to the library taking his wallet.

I couldn't help but smile when I saw a picture of his with his Daadi and sister in the transparent flap of his wallet. But my heart was smiling all the more at the thought that he cared about me.

The next couple of weeks went quite busy for me. I had started going back to college and had applied to both Jawaharlal Nehru as well as the British University. My mother's treatment was scheduled and Abhishek's Daadi's health had improved with the doctors planning her kidney transplant.

Abhishek was out of the country for most of those days due to his concerts abroad. And I had missed him to say the least and had always tried to talk to him when Daadi called him.

That evening Abhishek had returned from Europe and his manager had come home needing to discuss an urgent matter. I ended up overhearing some of the conversation because I was present nearby and they were talking about me.

"Daadi will kill me if I walk with any girl other than my wife", I heard Abhishek say.

"Your wife, it's not really in my authority to say this, but do you think she will be able to handle the red carpet?" the manager asked.

"We can manage that", Abhishek said calmly.

"Sir, Tannu Mehta wants to walk with you. Her rep has contacted me. Everyone knows about you guys and you are still a hot property for the magazines. You make the best looking couple in the town", the manager had explained.

I didn't hear more of their conversation because the name of Tannu Mehta rang a bell in my head. I remembered Bulbul telling me about rockstar Abhi's supermodel girlfriend, just a few months ago.

Needless to say I felt a stab in my heart at the realization. But I didn't want to hurt. I rather wanted to use this pain as a way to get myself out of the illogical feelings I had developed for Abhishek.

Why did I even remotely think in the lines of Abhishek and me as a couple? Did I want another rejection?

nitarata thumbnail

Part 7

"She is your wife, she will go hand in hand with you, pun intended and no pun intended. I will come only if she is walking on the red carpet with you. You tell your designer Andy to dress her up", Daadi gave an ultimatum.

"You blackmail me all the time, and now your bahu as well", retorted Abhishek.

Daadi was going to be attending the music awards as an audience. Abhishek was to receive a special award and she wanted me to attend the event as well. With her persistence, none of my pleas about not being able to handle glitz and glamour stood a chance. Daadi asked Abhi to call his designer Andy to help me with my clothes for the event and left the room.

"Suniye, I won't be able to do this. So many cameras, people and I don't even look good or know how to dress up", my worries had turned practical now.

"Do you think I am the most good looking man in this country?" he asked me with his hands crossed on his chest.

That's what Bulbul always claimed, I remembered. If I honestly wanted to ask myself, I could have almost agreed with him as of today.

"I think I am", he answered his own question sparing me the trouble.

"I am the most good looking man because I believe I am. And I make people believe that as well. It's all in your head", he said tapping at my head with his finger.

"Andy will make you look like a star, don't worry, Chashmish", he assured.

I had just hoped I wouldn't be forced to wear gowns or short dresses I wouldn't be comfortable with. I got a phonecall from my mother, which distracted me from the matter. I walked to the balcony to talk to her.

My mother was supposed to get her radiotherapy that afternoon but the doctor who was in charge had moved to a new hospital. The hospital people called her asking her to book new appointments at the doctor's new hospital. I tried to call the doctor but he was unavailable. I decided to go meet the doctor at his office the next day and convinced the receptionist for an appointment to meet him for a few minutes.

The next day I went to meet the doctor only to find he had taken off for the day and his staff refused to give my mother an appointment soon. However, with a lot of requests, I got an appointment to meet the doctor a week later.

Andy had arrived home with several designs for me that evening.

Andy was an interesting and jovial feminine man but I was taken over by the collection he had got with him for me to choose from. He had got me sarees and explained that when he attended my wedding, he had figured out what I would like and what would suit me and was waiting for a chance to design for me. Daadi joined me in choosing the saree for the event and we decided on a pink lace saree. It was only after Andy left, I realized the blouse was quite revealing but I was happy that at least it was not a gown I had to wear.

The evening of the music awards event, Andy was back in the Mehra house helping Abhishek and myself with our outfits. Abhishek had worn formals with a maroon shirt and skinny tie and Daadi had worn a royal red and green Patiala dress. I was the last one Andy and his helper lady got ready but took the most time with. I was actually feeling quite uncomfortable with the blouse that hardly covered my back and the lace saree seemed all the more transparent. But since we were already running late I hardly could complain and I was thankful that they let my hair loose. I hoped that the hair covered my back, at least a part of it.

Andy wanted to click pictures with the people he dressed that evening and Abhishek came to the room along with Daadi for the same.

"Where is my wife, Andy?" Abhishek searched around ignoring my presence.

"I told you she is a pretty woman", Andy said looking at me.

"Andy, she isn't Julia Roberts but Hema Malini, isn't she Daadi?", Abhi said as he put his shoulder around me for a picture. My heart that had started to beat faster slowed down a little when Abhi asked Daadi to join the picture and he out his other hand on her shoulder.

"Perfect", Andy took a picture.

Abhishek, his manager, Daadi and I left in one car to the event driven by one of the drivers. I ended up sitting in between Daadi and Abhishek in the backseat. Abhishek put his arm along the backseat stretching upto Daadi.

This is exactly what I didn't want- Abhishek so close to me and my body feeling aware of him all over.

"How will I call you Chashmish today? Where are your glasses? And you are not even wearing chatris" Abhishek said in my ear.

My breath hitched. I just scrunched my nose and turned away.

"Don't make that face. Remember you will be clicked for the whole time tonight. You have to keep a bright and smiley face no matter what you feel inside. Celebrity rule no. 1", Abhishek explained and I was already feeling suffocated with his celebrity world.

When we reached the venue, Daadi got out of the car since she was going to be escorted to the audience area and we were going to the front entrance to walk the red carpet. As soon as Daadi got out of the car I moved way from Abhishek and sat by the window. I noticed him looking at me but I did not meet his eyes.

When we reached the front entrance, Abhishek got out of the car and as I tried to open the door, he opened it for me and extended his hand for me to hold.

I was taken aback by the flash of a 100 cameras aimed at us.

"The hoopla begins. Let's rock it baby", Abhishek said as I stepped out of the car. He walked waving, posing for the cameras, passing flying kisses and holding my hand. I was in a state of shock with so many lights, so many people looking at us, taking pictures, whistling and clapping for us. People were even trying to touch, kiss and hug Abhishek when we were close to the barricades.

I love you, Abhi- screams could not be missed every now and then from the fans.

"Hold my arm", Abhishek whispered and that's when I wondered what my face was expressing when I was in awe at my first exposure to media and fan frenzy.

Just then some reporters stopped us and started asking questions. I clutched Abhishek's arm tightly for I was feeling so nervous. Abhishek mostly answered the questions for both of us since he might have realized my state of mind. He was so confident and even took the reporters for a ride with his witty lines.

Your wife is so pretty- was something that was heard too, a few times.

Pretty was never a word used when people talked about me. They had always meant not pretty. I rather felt people are now calling me pretty because I am Abhishek's wife, and they wouldn't dare saying something else.

If the fans and media wanted a sight of Abhishek, the people from celebrity world wanted a piece of him. That's what I figured out when we finally reached the lobby of the extravagant auditorium. I could recognize the big names from movies and music world treating Abhishek like a king and everyone had something to say, wanting to impress him.

Abhishek loved all the attention. He was cheerful and nice with everyone, especially the beautiful women. I looked away when he kissed those actresses and models on their cheeks as he greeted them. But he hadn't let go of my hand.

I again had a bunch of people commenting on how pretty I looked. I had no idea how to react to that.

Finally we were seated in the front row where Daadi already waited for us. The awards ceremony started with colourful performances. At some point Abhi was called on stage for a special achievement award for selling the maximum number of albums in the shortest span of time. He took his Daadi with him to the stage and actually had her receive his award. And his award speech was just a couple of lines where he dedicated it to the old woman with him calling her the love of his life.

Abhi was prompted to sing a song too on stage and he said he would sing a couple of lines he recently wrote.

Oh Hansini Meri Hansini Kahan Ud Chali
Mere Armano Peh Pankh Lagake
Kahan Ud Chali
Oh Hansini Meri Hansini

No percussions, no chorus, no rap, just his voice- and it resonated through the auditorium rewarding him with a standing ovation. And I had goose bumps.

I had heard his songs a hundred times when Bulbul played them in my mother's house. But they never sounded like this. May be I had never heard him like this.

Now I had a fair idea why he was adored by millions. He was a true rockstar.

After the ceremony, there was an after party. Daadi left for home since the party was to go until late night. The party was for a few high profile people from the glamour industry. No cameras, no press was allowed.

Again, one or the other person was trying to get Abhishek's attention. They would pick up a conversation with me as well. I hardly knew how to make conversations but since they had a lot of questions to ask me, I could get away saying a few Yes or Nos.

"Abhi!!!", came a tall, pretty girl dressed in a gown with a low cut showing her cleavage and fully exposed back. I recognized her as Tannu Mehta.

"Hi, Mrs. Rockstar", she greeted me with a hug and with sarcasm in her voice.

"Hi Tannu" Abhishek hugged her too.

"If you don't mind, can I steal your husband for a minute?" Tannu asked me and I had no answer for her. And she hadn't waited for an answer either while she dragged Abhishek with her to a corner, behind the pillars.

I did not want to turn back and look at them but somehow I did after a couple of minutes. I couldn't hear what they talked, but I saw him standing with his back to the pillar and her hands on his chest, her body pressed to his. I couldn't see their faces for a chandelier blocked my sight. I didn't need to see to imagine what would they be up to.

I just wanted to disappear from that place. I knew Abhishek was not answerable to me and didn't even know why I even thought of him being answerable. I reminded myself this was a fake marriage, Abhishek was not my husband and all this was just a temporary situation in my life and there was no need to get emotionally involved. Just when I determined so, I felt Abhishek's hands surround my waist pulling me to into him.

"Sorry to keep you waiting baby, let's go dance", he said loudly. I was about to question his actions and that's when he hugged me bringing his mouth near my ear.

"Chashmish, you have to do me a favour. You know this Tannu, she doesn't get the message. I have broken off with her ages ago, but she thinks we should get back together. She can't accept I am married, but she needs to get it clear and go off of my back. So please dance with me, you will na? I will sponsor your Ph.D. in Britain in return".

The mere physical proximity was distracting me from being analytical of what was going on. And he took my inability to object to his idea as an agreement.

As he took my hand and walked to the area where people were swaying, I came to my senses a little bit and told him I wouldn't be comfortable in dancing although what I really wanted to say was I wouldn't be comfortable dancing as well as dancing with him.

"You don't have to do salsa, just follow my lead. You will be fine", he said.

As we were almost at the centre of the area, people noticed us and started cheering for us. I had lost my chances to put forward an objection given everyone's eyes were on us.

Abhishek took my left hand to his shoulder and set it there. His right hand was placed on my waist with a light touch. He locked his fingers of our other hands and started moving. I had my eyes set on his tie as we moved while I tried to disorient my body's reactions. People clapped for us and went back to dancing. I noticed Tannu from a corner of my eye looking at us with a smile but in complete disapproval.

"Thank you" I heard Abhishek say.

But I was too lost in the tingles and shivers Abhishek's fingers on my waist causing to answer him. As we lazily moved, I noticed Tannu walking out of the hall and I saw Abhishek noticing it too. But he didn't let my hands go. I rather felt a little more pressure of his hand on my waist and his fingers further closing with mine. I thought I imagined him pulling me closer. But that wasn't my imagination really as I felt his eyes surveying my face, when I looked up to question him what he was doing. And that was when I couldn't decide if time stalled or it moved way too fast. I was lost beyond belief.

"Beautiful", I heard his husky but unusually deep voice.

I couldn't believe what he said but it sounded like the most genuine word I had ever heard. It felt like some deep wound was touched and healed at the same time. I kept looking into his eyes that were saying a lot more. I was trying to read them. I wanted to ask them if they meant what they seemed to mean.

"Chashmish!", I felt his fingers dig into my waist causing me to huff in slight pain.

"Are you sleeping with your eyes open? Tannu is gone. What did you think, we will dance through the night? Come it's time, let's go home. I have a recording in the morning too", he brought me down from the high he had just taken me to.

I completely released myself from his arms and gathered my breathing.

"Let's go", he said and I followed him.

The journey back was him talking about the record label that sponsored the event, the award show performances and so many other things that did not matter to me. The issue of Tannu or us dancing was not discussed while that was the only thing on my mind.

It was way past midnight when we reached home. I used the bathroom first and removed the make up and changed. Abhishek went to take a shower after me. I went to the balcony and stood by the railings, trying to calm my mind looking at the stars.

It's a fake marriage, Abhishek is a rockstar with a lot more to life than this marriage, I married for the sake of my mother's health, and my only obligation to Abhishek is his Daadi's health, I should only focus on that and stop thinking about these nonsensical emotions I am getting pulled into. I have my life, my job, my research and my values. I am not going to get lost in what could just be a hormonal feeling that's threatening me.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes praying to the heavens to give me peace.

I felt a push on my back and almost felt like I was falling off of the balcony. As I screamed in shock, I felt Abhishek's strong arms holding and steadying me.

"Not scared?" Abhishek gripped my waist further while his lips broke into a teasing silly grin.

But I was in a completely different tangent of emotions.

I used all my strength to push him away from me.

"You have no right to touch me like this", I screamed as he looked at me in surprise.

Part 8

I hated him touching me because I was craving for more of that.

"What WAS that?", Abhishek threw his hands.

"I have told you to not take physical liberties with me. This is a fake marriage. You have no rights to touch me", I wasn't even sure if I put my words out the way I wanted.

"Me touching you? You are not gonna file a case against me for some sexual assault, are you? You were looking at the sky for the past 10 minutes as if someone is dead. I thought I will give you some adrenaline rush instead. And if you don't like it, fine, I am not even talking to you from now on", Abhishek just stormed out of the balcony.

I wanted to run behind him and tell him he got it totally wrong. I wanted to tell him I did not mean just this one moment at the balcony but the whole of today, that dance and many previous moments. But I knew he would have one or the other argument to prove me wrong. I was relieved too that my purpose was served. If he doesn't talk to me, fine, no touches, no proximities and no feelings. And I had nothing to prove to him anyway.

Two days later, I was feeling worse than ever.

Forget about touching, he literally hadn't acknowledged my presence in his room.

I was okay for a little bit, but, when he didn't pick up fights in the mornings, when he didn't even greet me in his annoying ways after he got home, when he didn't take a dig at me or my things for a length of 48 hours, when he didn't eat anything I cooked, I was not okay at all.

But that was not what made me feel the worst. That evening I heard Daadi asking him to bring me down from the room for prashaad. I was about to get down the stairs but ran inside the room so that he would at least talk to me and end this silence treatment. He did come upstairs to say, "Pragya, Daadi wants you to come down and get prashaad".

Pragya! I didn't like the sound of my own name from his mouth, so cold and so emotionless. Where was Chashmish?

His intimacy was bothering me but his indifference was killing me.

But that morning I kept on telling myself a numerous times that my equation with Abhishek was futile and it shouldn't matter to my life. I dictated to myself that my focus should be arranging my mother's radiotherapy at the new hospital and not worry about someone not talking to me.

Later that day, I was at work when I received a call from my mother. She told me that her appointments at the new hospital had been scheduled and she needed to go see the doctor that day itself. She had just received the letters for the same and also a phone call to confirm her appointments.

I was surprised since I was yet to meet with the doctor at his new hospital to obtain appointments. I couldn't believe this was possible. I took half a day off at work and went to my mother's house to accompany her to the hospital.

I realized the matters as soon as we met the hospital receptionist.

I was the rockstar's wife and my mother was his mother in law. And we were treated special to say the least.

The doctor apologized to us for having to go through the trouble of cancelled appointments and delayed therapy sessions. He set up the initial counseling for my mother right away and had the whole 6-week therapy planned for her. He didn't even charge us anything, which was demanded earlier due to the current hospital being a better one than before.

How did Abhishek know all the details to arrange this, I wondered. He hadn't spoken to my mother about it either. I realized the only way he could have known was when I was making frantic phone calls when my mother's appointment was cancelled at the previous hospital.

Abhishek had done a huge favour on me. I never wanted anyone to do favours on me but this was the question of my mother's health, perhaps life. I would go through anything to keep her safe and healthy. I would find a way to return Abhishek's favour later.

After the hospital visit, I left my mother in her house and went to Abhishek's house. When he came home it was almost midnight. I couldn't have slept without thanking him.

He noticed me reading a book when he walked in. But he again played oblivious of my existence and went to use the washroom. When he came out, I made up my mind and spoke to him.

"Suniye".

No answer. I called out a few times again. He didn't respond. He took out his sleeping pill bottle from the drawer. I ran upto him and held his hand stopping him from taking the pill.

"Leave my hand", he said without looking at me. I didn't budge.

He repeated himself. When I still didn't leave his hand he forcefully took his hand off of mine and the pill bottle fell off.

We both reached out for the container and banged our heads.

"I am sorry" I was the first one to apologize.

"Can't you see even with wearing chashma?" he taunted. Abhishek was talking to me. "For the record, you touched me, I didn't touch you", he argued.

"I need to talk to you, please sit", I requested. He sat on the bed resting to the headboard and I sat on the other corner of it. And then started our unexpected conversation.

"I was not gonna talk to you"

"You just have to listen. Please. First of all, I wanted to thank you for arranging my mother's hospital appointments."

"How is your Maa? Did she get her appointments sorted out? Like all of them? Did they start her treatment?"

"Yes, they did. From today itself"

"Good and good night", he turned to sleep.

"Does this mean you will talk to me from now on?", I wasn't done talking to him.

"Why do you want me to talk to you? It was your choice to decide about touching and it's my choice with talking"

"Look, it's not like that. I am not used to these kind of things. I didn't mean it the way you assumed it to be"

"What did I assume?"

"I am not from your celebrity world. Everything is okay in your world, but not.."

"What do you mean by everything is okay?"

"In general, the way people talk to each other, the way they hug and kiss, relationships..."

Abhishek was looking at me as if he didn't understand what I meant.

I continued, "like it's nothing for you to break up with someone, and then try to make that person feel bad like you did in the after party"

"Are you talking about Tannu?"

"Well, yes.."

"Ugh.. Do you even know what she did with me? So, we met at a party and sort of hooked up. And then we went for a holiday in Brazil. And then, she comes back here and uses my name to get her modeling contracts without even telling me. She even sold our personal holiday picture to make money and gave interviews making up stories about us that didn't even exist. I was still okay with her using my name, but then, what nonsense was this to sell pictures and stories to the media? I broke up with her right away. And she says she still loves me"

"You don't love her?"

"Love, what love? I don't believe in love. The only love I believe in is what's between my grandmother and myself and my music and me. Rest is just show off"

"You never loved any girl?"

"I did love my first girl friend, head over heels. In high school. She left me when I flunked in board exams and got on with a rich dude. She left me because I had no money and now people want me just because I have money. So that's love for me"

"Then, you dated Tannu without love?"

"Her and a few others. They keep coming and going. I don't get emotionally attached. It's stupid to be emotional"

"How can you be with someone without emotions?"

"My body has needs. You won't get it, you are Baabaji na?"

"I am not Baabaji"

"You have needs too? Have you had boyfriends?"

"Boy friends? Again, I am not from celebrity world..."

"What do you mean? Middle class people don't have affairs? I was poor and from chawl 10 years ago. I have seen life"

"Well, I didn't really have boy friends. Was engaged to my best friend. But it turned out he loves someone else, my sister"

"What? You loved him?"

"Wasn't sure at that time, now I am sure I didn't"

"Good for you, who is that idiot?"

"He is still my best friend, you remember the guy who fixed lights during our wedding? Suresh"

"Oh that double battery? I mean that Chashmish guy with thicker glasses than you!"

"Double battery? Don't call him that"

"Good that you guys broke up. Or else your kids would have been double Chashmish!"

I laughed at the face he made.

"My goodness, treasure falling off" he tried to grab some invisible things.

"What happened?"

"You laughed! This is the first time you laughed!! Treasure must have fallen off, I am collecting. Now I know why you never laugh"

"Oh God, Abhishek", I rolled my eyes.

"People call me God, but they don't call me Abhishek"

"Abhi, the rockstar Abhi"

"That I am. By the way, tell me more about that double battery. Is he dating Tweet Tweet now?"

"Tweet Tweet?"

"Bulbul"

"No, she has her own issues with him"

"And you never dated anyone after that?"

"No, I was kind of tired of all this. I actually had a bunch of rishtas I mean marriage proposals before that. My mother was trying to get me married all the time, but nothing worked out. I just decided I never want to marry"

"And you became a Baabaji"

"What?"

"You never had a guy blow your mind away?"

"No"

"Try me" he winked at me. I looked at him in shock.

"Relax. Just kidding yaar. We are business partners, we shouldn't hook up anyway"

I wished him a good night and went to sleep on the sofa.

Just when I was feeling I had a heart to heart with Abhishek and felt at ease, he had taken my mind somewhere else. Why did he have to say these words like 'try me' and wink like that to invade my senses and turn me into a mess.

There was no escape for my feelings around Abhishek whether he spoke to me or not.

Part 9

It was hard to define love, but I knew I loved him.

Three months down the line, I couldn't convince myself otherwise.

I could share with him my issues, for example something that annoyed me at work place I normally didn't share even with my sister or my best friend Suresh. Abhishek would have some outlandish explanation to my issues that would somehow make me feel better...

I used to fight with him to watch Ekta Kapoor soaps when he wanted to watch football world cup, just for the sake of it. And I was never the one to watch TV soaps to begin with...

I would get worried even if he sneezed...

He was in my prayers all the time...

It had been a little easier to deal with my emotions for various reasons. Life had been hectic, stressful, challenging yet hopeful in these three months.

My mother had undergone rigorous radiotherapy treatments for 6 weeks and had been declared tumor free. She still dealt with fatigue and pains, and was slowly getting back to normal.

My mother's treatment sessions had been mostly in the evenings and I accompanied her most of the times. Some times Abhishek came to pick us and drop us home. He would bring ice cream, flowers or one of the other things for my mother and that combined with his uplifting self would put a smile on her face. I was happy that she got to see this side of Abhishek and wouldn't be outraged at him when he and I would separate.

I had a call for an interview for a Ph.D. position from Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi, but had my application accepted already at the St. Andrews University in the UK. I still was waiting to hear about the scholarships for the same.

Bulbul had taken lead of my mother's marriage hall business while my mother recovered. She was doing a great job and also dealing with some legal matters regarding the ownership of the hall.

Everything was set for Abhishek's Daadi's kidney transplant since her health had stabilized. I had imagined scenarios to separate with Abhishek but didn't know how I could take myself away from this kindness of a woman.

The weekend breakfast get together had turned into lunches and dinners too for the Mehra family and I sure knew I would miss them all when I had to leave this family, especially the kids.

Abhishek had been extremely busy. I had figured out he was a work-o-holic in the beginning itself, but now it was crazy. He had collaborated with an artist from the US and was about to launch his first international album.

With so much going on, I could keep my thumping heart distracted more successfully.

Also, I didn't believe he felt the same about me, or shared his real issues with me. He sounded honest with me over anything he ever said to me but I knew I had no access to his heart.

I never wanted to interfere in his life or wanted more than he wanted to give me, but I did knock the barriers at times.

One evening he complained of headache and I offered to give him a head massage. As he relaxed sitting on the floor, with me on the sofa and oiling his hair, I brought up one question that boggled me every single day.

"Why do you take sleeping pills?", I asked him hesitantly.

"He laid his head back almost on my lap to look at me. "Dumb Chashmish, Sleeping pills are taken to aid sleeping".

"I know that, but why are you taking them?" I questioned back.

"Again you are asking the same thing! To put myself to sleep", he smiled.

"I know you don't want to answer me, but it's not good for your health. I know that you sometimes just drink glass after glass of alcohol too", I put forward my concern without meeting his eyes.

"Byomkesh Bakshi Chashmish, stop being my wife now" he got up and sat on the bed across me, looking at me with still a vague smile on his face.

"I don't need to be your wife to be concerned about it. Daadi would be worried too if she knew" I sighed.

"I know you are not going to tell Daadi. Look, Chashmish, I am trying to reduce on those pills. I know they are bad but I need my sleep so that I am fresh for my demanding days. I am more addicted to work than sleeping pills. Anyways, thank you for the massage. You do it just like my Daadi. Talking of Daadi, I am glad her transplantation is day after. And next month, you will leave for UK, isn't it? When does your course start?", he had successfully changed the topic.

"Almost a month later, but I am still waiting on the scholarships. I also have an interview call from Delhi" I explained.

"Forget about Delhi, I told you I will sponsor your Ph.D. if they don't give you scholarship. May be this way I can make up for bunking all those classes and taking a dig at my teachers when I was in college. And yeah, if you want to start off about paying me back, you can do that after you start earning in pounds...", he went on to say something but I lost track since my mind wandered to a distressing place with the mention of moving away from him and everything else in my life.

"Hold on, you know what, get ready, let's go out", he said excitedly and that brought me out of my thoughts.

"Where to? It's almost night", I was surprised.

"Let me take a quick shower and get this oil off of my head. We will just go out and have fun. You will leave in a month to the UK. And before that we have Daadi's transplantation and my music album release. I will travel to the US too for album promotions. So we won't have time. Let's go out tonight and just hang out", saying so, he ran to the shower.

I had no idea why he wanted to go out or where. Was he feeling some separation anxiety as well? I changed and got ready by the time he got out of the shower.

When we went downstairs he told Daadi we were going out and would eat out as well. He asked me if I wanted to go to any particular place. I told him I never had been out after 7 pm in my life and wouldn't even know what's open at that hour. So he got to choose where we went. He made a phone call and asked the person on the other side if they can still arrange what they had offered. And it seemed like the person agreed. He didn't tell me what was it about. I didn't question him where we were really going for it didn't matter to me as long as he was with me.

He first drove us to Andy's exclusive shop and asked me to buy something I like. I strictly refused to buy anything but he completely ignored me and Andy and him got into choosing something for me.

"Abhi darling, you don't even take this much time to choose something for yourself. It's been half an hour and all my collection is out and you still don't like anything", Andy complained.

"I am choosing for my Chashmish wife, not for a rockstar who looks good in anything. Do you have anything more to show at all?" replied Abhishek. I was not allowed to talk about not buying by either of them, so, I had to keep quiet.

Andy got some new designs of sarees that were not released yet. Abhishek finally chose a beautiful maroon saree with silver works. Andy said he was going to send the saree home in a couple of weeks with blouse tailored to my measurements.

Abhishek asked Andy if there was a good eating place around from where we could get some food to go and Andy ordered some pizza to his shop and forced us to eat with him. We quickly ate in Andy's cabin.

And later Abhishek drove to a place I couldn't have imagined.

Of all the places in the world, it was an adventure park.

Apparently it was the biggest fun/adventure park in the country to be opened the next day. One of Abhishek's producers owned it and he had even offered Abhishek the rides before the park opened for public. All the staff was at work, doing the last minute preparations for the grand opening.

"Suniye, what is this? What are we going to do here?", I was taken aback at that moment.

"Let's take some rides. And have fun, they will run any ride we want", Abhishek explained.

"But I have never taken such rides. And I am.. these look so dangerous", I really didn't want to take rides.

"I knew you wouldn't have. That's why we are here. I wanted you to do something with me that you will always remember. The ride of your life, baby!" he winked as we walked inside the park.

"We will not do the scary ones" I got into the small train with Abhishek that was going to take us to the rides.

"What, are you going to make me ride that merry go round? That's for babies" he mocked me as the train started.

But it was indeed the merry go round we took first. The horses were decorated so beautifully and the whole thing had a dreamy feel to it. I was smiling suddenly and with Abhishek besides me on another horse laughing and whistling had me laugh my heart out too.

When Bulbul and I were kids, my mother didn't take us to fairs often. Even when we went, I never used to sit on these rides because I was always afraid or felt too old to go for them, and just loved to watch Bulbul enjoying them. And here I was feeling like a little girl simply free and happy. I held on to the pole and looked up and closed my eyes.

I hadn't even realized my glasses fell off until I got off of the horse.

I started to look for my glasses frantically and Abhishek reminded me how can I find glasses when I can't see properly. He looked around and didn't find them anywhere. It was already dark and he offered that he will hold my hand for the whole time and I can enjoy the rides.

"You won't see much without glasses anyway, so you won't be scared as much either. So it's a blessing that you lost them", Abhishek had his own logic.

And true to his promise he held on to me for the whole time.

We did a water ride later. Abhishek took full advantage of my reduced vision to splash water on me while I could hardly do any.

Then we did a pendulum ride. I didn't think it was as scary until the speed increased. Needless to say I clutched on to Abhishek's arm for the whole time and screamed my lungs out.

We then did a horror simulator ride and that was scarier than the pendulum ride. Although it wasn't really moving anywhere, I was scared as well as thrilled beyond measure and this time I was clinging to Abhishek for the whole length of it.

After a few more rides, I had gotten a hang of the whole thing. I was still scared but the thrill of screaming your heart out in adrenaline rush had something addictive about it. I had started to enjoy it. And I had Abhishek to rely on if I was too afraid. But I had never felt so excited and carefree in life to be honest.

And finally we took a roller coaster ride that had me feel I didn't even exist at the end of it.

When we were about to leave, the staff served us with ice creams.

We walked to the empty parking lot hand in hand while we enjoyed our ice creams.

"Hey Chashmish, you have ice cream all over your lips", he stopped to say.

I tried to lick the ice cream off with my tongue.

"Not there, wait let me clean it, you can't see anyway", he said drawing me closer and wiped my lips with his thumb. And then he wiped them again.

I kept looking into his eyes and he raised his eyebrows in question.

"Thank you for this evening. I had the fun of my life. How did you know I would enjoy this? You are just...", I didn't move my eyes off of him.

"Hey, Chashmish without chashma, why are you looking at me like this? You are not falling in love with me, are you?", he asked piercing my eyes with his gaze.

The word love broke my trance. I moved away and recollected myself quickly. "No, rockstar, I am not. I am Baabaji na? I don't fall in love. So don't worry, no complications from my side", I said looking down.

"Too bad, I fail to impress you" he said laughing and opened the car door for me.

And sometime after we started driving back, he said, "yeah, right, no complications in our business. Hello Chashmish, are you sleeping?"

Did he have any idea how complicated it had gotten for me? May be he knew it all and wanted to stay oblivious?

nitarata thumbnail

Part 10

Abhishek was his Daadi's little baby.

From the time doctors took Daadi inside the operation theatre for kidney transplantation, Abhishek was restless. He was like a toddler separated from his mother. If he wasn't a rockstar, the doctors would have yelled at him for he intervened in their and nurses' every entry and exit to the operation room. I had never seen him so nervous but I wasn't surprised given how Daadi meant the world to him. I was praying for her safe surgery and recovery not only for her but for him too. He hadn't even eaten from the morning and it was already late afternoon. When the doctors said the surgery would take another hour, I decided that I have to make Abhishek eat something.

As expected, he was in no mood to eat but got busy in calling up a doctor friend of his enquiring why his Daadi's surgery would take so long. I opened the food pack I had got from the hospital canteen, and held a piece to his mouth without saying anything. He looked at me for a moment and I didn't say anything. And I was so glad he took the piece from my hand I fed him more pieces until he refused to eat anymore.

The Mehra family came in to visit Daadi once the surgery was done and my mother and sister were around too. It took a while for Daadi to gain consciousness but the doctors believed the surgery was a success. I was relieved that finally all was well.

For the next few days Daadi had to stay in the hospital. Abhishek had given up on most of his work and spent his time in the hospital. I could only convince him to go home for two nights while I stayed with Daadi.

Abhishek's new album was to be released internationally two weeks later and he was talking to his manager about postponing the release since Daadi hadn't recovered completely. The recovery time had been more than expected and he was regretting his decision to have the album release right after Daadi's surgery.

It wasn't easy to postpone it since a lot was at stake and it also involved a foreign artist and the biggest record label in the world.

After 8 days of stay at the hospital, the doctors declared Daadi was fit to go home and Abhishek brought her home with a celebration. There was a cake cutting and a dinner for close family and friends.

And that was the day I started counting my days in the Mehra house.

My mother was cured of breast cancer and Daadi had her new kidney. The expectations Abhishek and I had from this marriage had been met.

Abhishek and I hadn't talked about divorce officially but given Daadi's health and his work commitments I knew I should wait for some more time. My scholarships for the University of St. Andrews had come through and everyone including Abhishek was proud of me. My mother had known I wanted to pursue my Ph.D. and Abhishek had once casually mentioned to her about my applications to abroad universities. She was not as apprehensive as I had expected perhaps because Abhishek himself was encouraging me to go for it. Abhishek's Daadi had known about it too and it seemed like a great excuse too to move away from this marriage without having to make a big deal out of it.

My heart was hurting but I chose to ignore it.

A bright future possibly waited for me in terms of my Ph.D. and career.

I knew marriage wasn't my cup of tea and I told myself I was going to live without whatever I was feeling for Abhishek. Well not without but away from it. It was not the end of the world anyway.

I decided I was going to talk to Abhishek about our marriage or rather the end of it once his album release was done. Or may be he himself would be talking to me about it too.

That early morning I woke up to Abhishek's phone ringing on the table that was right by the sofa on which I slept. Abhishek was asleep and I chose to not wake him up since I knew he had hard time sleeping.

The phone rang again. I contemplated on picking up the call or waking Abhishek up. By the time I decided, the ringing stopped. I tried to get back to sleep but the phone rang again. I picked up the call and it was Abhishek's manager.

"Madam, please give the phone to Abhi Sir" he sounded frantic.

"What's up Mr. Singh?", I enquired.

"Madam, I don't know if I should tell you all this. I should tell Abhi Sir, please it's urgent. Please madam", the manager was desperate.

I went to wake Abhishek up.

"Soney do na, Chashmish" was his sleepy reply. But I shook his arms to bring him to being awake. And I handed him over the phone and sat looking at him as he heard his manager. It was obvious that nothing was well.

I wanted to know the matter. And Abhishek did tell me the situation before leaving to meet his manager.

There was an accusation doing rounds overnight in the media regarding rockstar Abhi using his star powers to threaten a certain newbie artist and blocking his opportunities with producers, a possible competitor for him. The manager suspected Tannu to be behind it since she was rumoured to be dating the new artist and even had given an interview where she described Abhishek's hatred for this new artist that she learnt of when she dated the rockstar.

Abhishek wasn't concerned as much about the allegation for he knew this could be proved wrong. What really bothered him though was his album release, which was only a few days away. It was going to give him a lot of negative publicity and the media was ready to cash on the news.

The next couple of days Abhishek had his lawyers over home too and I could sense a lot of activity surrounding how to solve the matter. Abhishek had already issued a statement to the media in order to negate the accusations but he and his staff wanted to get to the origin of this allegation and tackle it there.

Abhishek contemplated postponing the album release again since he also had Daadi factor but it wasn't working. His staff believed this allegation was done to hamper the album release and if they themselves postponed it the harm would be worse. They thought the best way to fight it back by going ahead with everything as planned.

As if this issue going on was not enough, Abhishek had more to face in his life.

Three days before he needed to leave for Los Angeles for his album release, I went to Daadi's room to give her dinner. I found her asleep and since she was supposed to take her medicine I tried to wake her up. I couldn't even after trying several times. I checked her pulse but couldn't be sure if I found one and I frantically called out for Abhishek.

He came running and he tried to wake her up too and by then I called the doctor. "Daadi will be fine, she has a pulse", Abhishek was trying to splash water on her and bring her to consciousness.

The doctor came within a short time and he figured out that Daadi's blood pressure had gone way low due to the high blood pressure medicine she was on, which was a consequence of her transplantation. It was decided to always have a nurse around Daadi who would monitor her blood pressure from time to time.

Abhishek had cried in despair by Daadi's side that night for the fear of losing her had shook him to the core.

The next two days had the manager run around Abhishek trying to not let him cancel his album release event in Los Angeles while his PR and lawyer team found some leads in solving the allegation matters.

Daadi had figured out the issues with Abhishek's album release and the night before the Abhishek was supposed to leave, she said she needed to talk to him and Abhishek sat by her on her bed patiently. I tried to walk out of the room as the nurse did, but Daadi asked me to stay. I sat on the sofa and became a silent witness to their conversation.

"Beta, Abhi, what are you doing? Why are you ignoring your album and even want to cancel its release? I spoke to the manager. Although he didn't tell me much, I know you are tying to not leave the country because of me. And what is that controversy going on about you?" Daadi interrogated.

"Daadi, you don't worry about it. I will deal with all that. You just follow doctor's orders and get better soon", Abhishek replied without facing her.

"You are leaving to America tomorrow. You are not cancelling or even postponing your album release. I would rather see you on TV doing that than you sitting in front of me here" Daadi ordered.

"It's not like that Daadi. I can release this album a few weeks later. Or make a new one", Abhi tried to convince.

"I am not listening to you. If you really care for me, go do what you were supposed to do. And come home and bring success with you. I want not only my country but the whole world to be my grandson's fan", Daadi held Abhishek's face in her hands.

"Budhiya, don't blackmail me like this, you have to listen to me this time", Abhishek said still not meeting her eyes.

"Beta, don't make your love for me your limitation. I would rather want to be the strength. I am two generations older than you. I have seen life in its every face. When it's my time to go, I will go. But your life doesn't stop for others. Life never stops for anyone. Now you got my kidney replaced and I will live for some more years. But I have to go some day Abhi and you have to learn to live without me. New generation will replace me. That's the rule of nature", Daadi wanted Abhishek to not feel bad about her.

"Aaliyah didn't want to be with me and now even you talk about leaving me, Daadi. Selfish, both of you are, just selfish", Abhishek had tears in his eyes.

"I am not going anywhere until I see my great grand kids. How dare you bring tears in your eyes?" Daadi wiped his tears.

Abhishek removed her hands from his face and walked off.

"Pragya", Daadi took my name.

"Yes, Daadi" I sat near her.

"Beti, take care of him, and don't worry about me. Tell him not to worry about me. Nothing will happen to me. But please make sure he leaves for America tomorrow. He has worked so hard in his life to be what he is. I don't want him to suffer any setback", Daadi pleaded with me.

"Daadi you don't worry. I will do my best to convince him. I assured her and tucked her to the bed. I asked the night shift nurse to keep an extra careful eye on her and went to find Abhishek.

Abhishek wasn't in the room or his music room. I also checked the balcony and kitchen. He was nowhere to be found. I then tried to call him from the room but saw that his phone was in the room itself. I thought he must have gone out and hoped that he comes back soon. Feeling exhausted, I decided to take a shower.

I realized I hadn't gotten my change of clothes with me and wore Abhishek's bathing gown that I found in the bathroom. As I walked out drying my hair, what I saw broke my heart.

When I walked near I saw that Abhishek's wallet was on the bed with the picture he had of him with Aaliyah and Daadi taken out. Along with that was a glass of alcohol and the pill bottle I hated. He was sitting on the bed with his elbows supported on his thighs and his face hidden in his palms. Although he didn't make sounds I could easily tell he was crying.

I instinctively ran to him and held his hands. He looked at me for a second and looked away.

"Just leave me alone for sometime. I am okay", he said choking on his own voice and looked away.

"No, you are not okay. You can't cry like this. You have a flight to catch", I said still holding his hands.

He released his hands from mine and reached over to the glass of alcohol. "I will see what I will do tomorrow. Please go to bed now", he said sipping some liquid off of the glass.

"Whatever that's hurting you, will get better. Daadi will hurt more than you are hurting, if she sees you like this. You are her everything" I said and he took another sip.

"And this will not help you with anything" I almost yelled at him snatching his glass and setting it on the table. "Nor these" I frantically grabbed his pill bottle and threw it away.

"What are you doing?" he held my hands. And that's when he looked at me again, with tears rolling down his eyes. The pain I saw in his eyes cut me and had my eyes fill up with tears.

"Why are you doing all this?" he asked me with his eyes stabbing the wound of my heart.

I couldn't utter a word. I involuntarily cupped his face and brushed away his tears with my fingers. I hugged his face to my chest.

I could feel his silent tears and I tried to soothe him by caressing his head.

A minute later he looked up with tears still filled up in his eyes. He held my face in his hands and brought me down to sit on his lap. The next moment his lips were on mine.

Part 11 (adult content warning)

I don't want to wake up and be lonely again. Oh what I would give to sleep in your arms.

"Pragyaaa, Abhiii" I heard a distant voice.

I also heard door knocks along the second time as I slowly woke up from a peaceful sleep.

"Daadi... Why is she... Oh My flight.. it's 6 am already.. Damn, my flight is at 7 45" Abhishek woke up with a start.

He immediately jumped out of the bed and wore his jeans while I grabbed the gown and covered myself. As he seemed to walk to the door to open it for frantic Daadi, I ran to the closet to find my clothes.

When I wore an anarkali and came out, Daadi was still in the room. I couldn't see clearly without my glasses but she seemed to be looking at the crumpled sheets and I just wanted to disappear.

"Pragya, he hasn't even packed anything. He asked me to get his bag ready before he comes out of the shower. Can you help me?" I was glad Daadi didn't want to talk about the sheets.

But I had to find my glasses before helping her. I thought they would be on the bed and started looking for them there.

"What are you looking for? Your glasses? Here", Daadi found my glasses under the pillow.

I was embarrassed to death when I wore my glasses. Abhishek's tee shirt and underwear were on the bed. Hoping Daadi hadn't noticed them I gathered them and hid them under the mattress in the name of doing the bed.

"Shouldn't you guys have an alarm on if you want to stay up late?" Daadi smiled impishly and continued to say "his designers will have his costume for the album release event ready. We just need to pack a couple of pairs of clothes for the night he is staying and travel. I am sorry beti, I know because of me, you are a missing a chance to accompany him too. I would have loved to be there had my health been alright".

"It's okay, Daadi", I told her as I helped her pack Abhishek's clothes. I also packed his dog tags, wristbands and studs he always wore.

"Pragya, get some dahi-shakkar (curds and sugar) ready and feed him before he leaves" Daadi reminded me of the auspicious ritual we did before someone left for an important work.

I went downstairs to the kitchen to get a bowl of dahi-shakkar. By the time I came out of the kitchen, Abhishek was already coming down with Daadi while his manager waited in the living area. The manager informed Abhishek that the producer who supported the new artist against Abhishek had admitted to his mistake and will be issuing a statement to the media later in the day.

"Alright, bye Daadi, I will see you in three days. You will not worry about anything, just take rest and get fit to dance with me when I come back. We will dance to my new songs I am releasing" Abhishek hugged her.

"First touch my feet" Daadi demanded.

"Who gets this done forcefully Budhiya...as if you won't bless me if I don't do this", Abhishek bent and touched Daadi's feet.

"Raj karo, mera beta (reign, my son)", Daadi caressed Abhishek's head wholeheartedly.

Abhishek hadn't met my eyes until Daadi asked him to take dahi-shakkar from my hands.

I couldn't meet my eyes with him either, when I took a spoon of dahi-shakkar and offered it to his mouth.

He sipped it and said "thanks Chashmish", in barely a whisper, I looked up and I could feel a blood rush all over my body.

Abhishek patted my cheek and left. I wanted to wish him the best, I wanted to say a lot more than that. I couldn't say a thing.

I hoped Abhishek doesn't miss his flight and that prayed that everything goes well with his album release as I went upstairs to freshen up. I had decided to take off from work for a couple of days in order to be with Daadi, while Abhishek was away.

The memories of the last night kept flooding in my mind as soon as I entered Abhishek's room.

Oh My God, What had happened?

As I undressed myself in the bathroom to take a shower, I could still smell him on me, and I couldn't ignore the red mark below my collarbone.

My whole being felt different, every little bit that was touched by him.

My heart started racing faster. I turned the shower on and sat in the way of the stream of water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I had tried to console Abhishek last night, he had pulled me on his lap and placed his lips on mine. The prick of his facial hair, the warm tingle of his lips and his uneven breath had seared my whole body. He had stayed like that for a while and I hadn't moved away either.

When he separated our lips, I opened my eyes to look at him, almost in a protest. I still could see wet trails of tears down his eyes. He was looking at me with an emotion I could not completely interpret- why did he look so vulnerable, what was he trying to say, what did he want? -He looked away and looked back at me and he crushed his lips on mine again urgently, all I felt was a drowning feeling, into deep waters I didn't know the depth of.

The next moment I regained my senses was when I suddenly worried that my wetness would stain his jeans. I was shocked at myself comfortably sitting on his lap, with my legs stretched on either of his sides, and his lips sucking on the flesh on my neck.

But I could remember feeling my senses going haywire as his teeth pulled the gown off of my chest. As soon as I felt downright shy of my body exposed to his eyes, he made it into something else by taking the tip of my breast in his mouth.

It was delirious.

I had figured out there was no coming back when he slid the gown off of my shoulders and crashed us into the bed, while our lips tangled again.

He had given me a few seconds of breather for thoughts when he sat up on the bed and started undoing his belt, I turned to my stomach feeling conscious of his eyes on my bare body.

I had worried about a hundred things in those few seconds.

I hadn't shaved my legs for a while, would that disgust him?

Was he in his mind, hadn't he sipped some alcohol?

Why was I not able to stop him? Did I even want to stop him?

What did this mean to him or me or to us? Was there an 'us' to begin with?

Did I want it?

I had known I needed it when his hands cupped my hip and trailed up as his naked body laid on mine.

I turned to face him and embraced him to my satisfaction.

And then it was frantic kisses and touches. Our hands were in a race to map each other's bodies.

I was with him in every moment of it, and liked to believe he was there with his everything too.
The heat had soared amidst gasps, sweat and a tangle of limbs.

It was when I was about to ride the wave of ecstasy he suddenly took his fingers off of my core.

"Andar aaon?" (can I come in), he had barely whispered nibbling my ear, placing himself at my entrance.

What had he thought? Would I be able to say No? I questioned myself the same.

"Bolo na" (say it), he coaxed.

"Abhishek" I whispered against his lips as I cupped his face in my hands and kissed him. I didn't know if I moved my hips up to take him in or he slid in on my cue.

All I knew was his tongue had invaded my mouth again and he had connected us.

The pain brought tears in my eyes but the pleasure filled my whole being.

And then it was his name I had chanted in various notes until he forced me to let it all go, as he took me to a hallucinating place I barely knew of.

But I was truly satisfied when he filled me in with his warmth and I heard his satisfied sighs in my ears.

And when it had all cooled down, he had pulled the blanket on us, kissed my forehead, closed his eyes and settled his head by the crook of my neck.

I had run my fingers in his hair until I heard his calm and deep breathing, until sleep took over me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Bulbul and I went to college, my mother had always warned us of our bodies. She had told us how body could take over mind. How there can be a moment that overrides logic and reason between a man and a woman. She had wanted us to be safe, and be on our guards until the time came when we knew we won't regret it.

And here I had let my guards down. With a man whom I adored, but he was the man who was my namesake husband.
He wasn't my husband, he wasn't my lover.

I wasn't sure what he felt about me.

I wasn't sure if he needed me at all in his life.

Yet, I had shared the night with him, a night that completed me as a woman.

I didn't know if it was the need of bodies, or my lonely heart or just his moment of distress.

I did not regret it.

Part 12

I was missing him.

It had only been 3 days, but I had to count every moment for it to pass.

Since I had taken off for those 3 days to take care of Daadi, I had all more time to deal with.

The day Abhishek was supposed to come back, Mitali Bhabhi had asked me to participate in her kitty party.

Sitting amongst other women in the kitty party, my thoughts circled around Abhishek. It didn't help that I was even wearing the saree gifted by him going by the kitty party theme of shades of red. Andy had designed a sleeveless blouse for it, which I wasn't used to. But I couldn't deny I felt something better about my body ever since that night and even spent half an hour dressing myself up which was a shock to me.

However, my mind was in a mess. It jumped between opposite thoughts. On one hand, I felt whatever had happened meant something; it would lead into something substantial. But on the other hand I was ready to face that it was just that moment and the moment was not meant to be. I had reminisced several moments I had spent with Abhishek over the last few months and that hadn't helped me either to feel this way or that way for it was all such mixed signals, perhaps skewed to negative.

Yet, the point was I missed him. I just wanted to see him again, no matter what he thought of that night.

He had called home a couple of times and he had forgotten his mobile phone at home, in his hurry. Whenever he had called, I was with Daadi and we mostly talked her health or his album release and he seemed very busy.

Of course he would be busy. In those three days he was going to be away, it was a 20-hour flight each way, and then he had the music album release, press conferences, parties and interviews to take care of. It seemed like the controversy that surrounded him was solving too along with the album release.

I didn't have a plan as to how I was going to talk to him when he was going to be back in the house. I decided I would do that based on his reactions. I kept telling my heart to be ready for the worst.

But my heart had a mind of its own and shamelessly craved for him.

It was about time for Abhishek's arrival and the kitty party ladies had left for their homes. But even before Abhishek arrived, we had a guest brought by Aakash.

Everyone seemed to be surprised to see him. The moment that person saw Daadi, he came running to touch her feet and apologized.

Mitali Bhabhi narrated to me the story of this man when I went to help her with making tea. The man was Purab Khanna, Abhishek's best friend from childhood, who also managed his celebrity career. He was engaged to Aaliyah but he called off the engagement for some unknown reason. And that had soured Abhishek and his 20-year old friendship. Purab hadn't shown his face to the Mehras for two years ever since.

"Namastey Bhabhi", Purab greeted me as I served tea.

Daadi introduced me to Purab and he said he had known me already for he had followed Abhishek on media all this while. He told me he was very nervous about meeting Abhishek.

Sometime later, we could hear cars parking outside and we knew Abhishek was home. Purab said he doesn't want to shock Abhishek right away and told us he would be in the terrace and we should let him know once Abhishek settles down.

Akash cheered as Abhishek walked in and Daadi and the kids went to hug him. I stood at a distance and we smiled at each other when our eyes met.

He walked towards me and gave me a side hug saying "how are you, Chashmish?". Before I replied to him, he was looking at a wine bottle on the tea table, which I thought Purab had brought.

"Is Purab here?", Abhishek asked abruptly.

"Who got this wine? Only he gets this wine for me.. only he knows... where is he?", Abhishek looked around.

Daadi explained to Abhishek that Purab wanted to make amends and had apologized to her. She advised him to not blow up things and let the past resentment behind. Upon learning Purab was in the terrace, Abhishek ran upstairs.

Daadi more or less gave me the same story about Purab as described by Mitali Bhabhi except that she also noted how Purab was one of the few people who genuinely cared for Abhishek.

Abhishek and Purab did not come downstairs even after an hour. The family had dinner and I also made Daadi eat given she needed to take medicine. Everyone was ready to sleep but the two men didn't come down from the terrace.

Aakash suggested that we take their dinner upstairs. I got the dinner plates ready. Aakash grabbed water, glasses and the wine bottle.

"After all, relationships aren't forced, Purab. Stop feeling guilty, it's not your fault. Leave it all behind yaar", I heard Abhishek say as I walked the steps to the terrace. Purab seemed to be in tears, Abhishek didn't seem all right either.

"You should have dinner", I said placing the plates on the small table.

"Hey Purab, did you meet Chashmish?", Abhishek said changing things into a lighter mood.

"Pragya Bhabhi? I already met her", Purab tried to ignore my nickname courtesy Abhishek.

"Thanks guys, you got food here. Purab and I used to eat, drink and even sleep here sometimes", Abhishek remembered.

"Yes Bhai, let's live the old times", Purab joined hands.

"Enjoy your meal", I decided to leave the friends on their own but Abhishek asked Aakash and me to join them for dinner.

Aakash said he had already eaten but he would accompany them for the wine. I lied that I had eaten too not wanting to interfere between them and walked down.

It was almost midnight but Abhishek still didn't come to the room. Although I didn't know the details I knew there was something deep that Purab and Abhi were dealing with. I couldn't eat or sleep because I was just feeling jittery over everything. I sat on the bed in Abhishek's room, resting my back on the headboard browsing random things on my iPad. I set an alarm for 6 am for I had an early morning exam duty to fulfill the next day.

The next thing my mind realized was being drawn to the warmth by my side, I was snuggling to it in a moment between sleep and alertness.

"What are you doing Chashmish, soney do na (let me sleep)", when I heard Abhishek's voice I was almost awake.

It was dark except for the little moonlight that peeped through the half open window. I realized I was sleeping in Abhishek's arms. The last I remembered was browsing, sitting on the bed.

Abhishek's hold around me got tighter. "Aaahh", I couldn't help a moan when he caught my earlobe between his teeth.

"Missed me?", Abhishek mumbled nuzzling my neck. Our lips were on each other's before I could gather words to say something.

"You look gorgeous in this saree", Abhishek said between the kisses with his toes sliding up my leg moving the saree along.

I probably had transformed from a state of half asleep to trance when Abhishek's hands took over his toes and slid further up my thigh, while his mouth struggled with my blouse.

No voice of reason warned me, no logic mattered to me as I completely surrendered to his prompts putting my three days worth of dilemma and thoughts to a shame.

The need of bodies or the yearning of souls? I didn't care either ways.

But that's not how I felt when I woke up in the morning. I was deeply perturbed and angry. I couldn't believe I let it happen again without even talking a word about it. Abhishek was still sleeping like a baby and I felt like wanting to shake him to awareness and ask for answers.

But before I did that, rang my alarm. I snoozed it, remembered my exam duty and quickly got ready. Abhishek still had slept while I decided to leave for work. I put a blanket on Abhishek to cover his naked form since I was going out of the room. I still didn't want to leave him naked while I left the room, so I fiddled with the latch to see if I could lock it from outside while he could still open it from inside.

"Good morning Chashmish", came his lazy voice.

"Thank God you are up. I didn't want to.. I got to go, have an exam duty, I am late", I said and turned to leave.

"What, wait Chashmish, I have something important to talk to you", Abhishek said rubbing his eyes.

"Me too, but not right now. I have to go", I said looking back and turning to leave again.

"We can't do this every night and...not talk about it. Come on Chashmish, we need to sort this out. It has gotten complicated now. This is not what I...you know what, I am like freaking out with this", he sat up.

"I want to talk about it too, but right now, please let me go. I will be very late", I said in a hurry.

"What time will you be free?" he asked finding his shirt.

"After 11", I replied.

"Okay, this will be sorted out by the evening. I will make sure we do", he said determinedly.

"Thanks, bye for now", I walked out of the room in a hurry.

My exam duty was very busy with one set of students demanding sheets over sheets and another set playing tricks with chits. But at the back of my mind, I was dying to go through what Abhishek termed as sorting out.

When I finally finished my duty and went to my cabin, I was taken aback to see 5 missed calls on my phone from Mr. Bose, Abhishek's lawyer.

nitarata thumbnail

Last part (part 13)

So, this was it.

Abhishek's lawyer had come to my college. He needed urgent signatures for some documents. He had explained to me in his technical terms about some tax break thing that Abhishek needed to file. I signed it but felt it was very suspicious. When I asked Mr. Bose to show me the details. But he got up in a hurry to leave and dropped his file spilling out all the documents.

When I tried to gather the pages for him, I found that the documents were not of tax files but of property that included a massive shopping mall area adjacent to my mother's marriage hall.

"Madam, this one is the same thing we had discussed before your marriage, when we met at the hotel, remember? Please don't put my job in trouble. I don't like lying to anyone. But Abhi Sir asked me to do this saying you won't agree to own this property if you are asked to sign upfront. Madam, please sort this out with Abhi Sir. Don't bring me into this", the lawyer begged.

He had left leaving a stunned me behind.

Of course I remembered the property details. I remembered Abhishek wanted to give this to me as a part of alimony.

I sat on my seat and covered my mouth with my hands in order to stop myself from crying out loud.

My heart was sinking as I took a taxi to my home, my mother's home.

I didn't want to go back to Abhishek's house or see him, at least not that moment. I perhaps needed to go back to collect my luggage but I was going to do that some other time. I would also tell him to keep that property to himself and the tickets he had booked for me for UK travel. If he wanted to end it all, I would be game for it, but on my own terms.

However, I didn't have anything to really complain about. We had married for my mother's surgery and his Daadi's transplantation, both of which had been accomplished. If anything, I had a bunch of things to thank him, for he had encouraged me to pursue my higher studies, helped me with my mother's treatment and made me smile.

Even those two fateful nights, I couldn't convince my heart that it was just physical release for him. But I knew for sure he hadn't faked it when he called me gorgeous. That was going to stay with me for the rest of my life for it healed a buried wound in me.

Just that I had wished for more of him, more than he wanted to give. But that's my fault. But I wouldn't wish for it anymore. If his happiness is not with me, I wouldn't wish him to be with me.

So what? I still had the bliss of wishing him well, loving him to my content, and that was enough to live.

I wiped my tears and put a smile on as I entered my mother's house.

It wasn't going to be easy to escape his memories.

Bulbul was playing Abhishek's latest album loudly in her room. I asked her to switch it off not because it annoyed me as it used to happen before but because he mattered to me.

She then went out with our cousin Purvi for shopping. My Daadi was busy chatting with a neighbor. I found my mother in the kitchen and hugged her from back.

"Why are you feeling low, beti? What happened?", my mom could always tell when I would hurt.

"I am just a little sad Maa, just that I have to go to UK, away from you, Bulbul and all. I only have few days left, so thought I should spend some time with you. I might stay with you until I leave", I lied to my Maa although I was practically telling the truth.

"What about Abhi? He will miss you more than we will. Have lunch and go back to your house or at least tomorrow. By the way, I am not even sure why are you going so far. Why don't you study in Mumbai or Pune, somewhere nearby?" Maa wanted explanation.

"Maa, it's a much better university and I can't get someone to guide me on that research topic in India", I justified myself.

Maa fed me my late lunch that day from her own hands and that was very comforting. Later, I had tried to distract myself reading my favourite author without much success.

"Pragya, go collect milk and tell him he is mixing too much water these days", Maa gave me a shout as the doorbell rang.

"Excuse me" I heard a deep voice that I instantly recognized and froze as I looked up.

"I don't sell milk. If you need my introduction, I am Abhishek and you look like Pragya, the one who has gone missing from my house", spoke the rockstar.

"Aap..yahan (you.. here)... I.." I didn't know what to say but I worried if coming here without telling him or Daadi was a bad idea.

My mother and Daadi came running realizing Abhishek had come home.

He touched my mother and Daadi's feet, and Bulbul and Purvi returned from their shopping just then. They were excited to see their favourite rockstar and they involved with him in an animated conversation regarding his new album. As usual, I just stood in a corner and saw the mela my house suddenly turned into as everyone got busy in treating Abhishek to snacks and beverages.

"Can I take Pragya out with me for sometime Mummyji?", he asked my mother a little later, and I tensed.

"Of course beta, she is your wife. Looks like you guys have fought. Whatever it is, sort it out", my mother gave her permission.

I didn't really want to go with Abhishek but it didn't look like I had a choice given he had my mother involved.

He drove unusually fast but didn't say a word. It seemed like I recognized the road and it was the same highway he drove me to the first time he came to my house. I mentally prepared myself to not let my emotions out and make the situation complicated. I just wanted it all to end on a comfortable note.

"So, what's your problem? You just disappear to your mother's house like that, and not even pick my calls. Bulbul told me when I called her that you have come here. I had gone to your college, didn't I tell you we will sort out everything today?", Abhishek finally spoke stopping the car on the side of the highway.

"Well, it's all sorted out now. What is left?", I replied without facing him.

He got out of the car and opened my door too. I slowly stepped out and stood facing him.

"So, what have you sorted out?", he asked.

I didn't say anything. "Will you answer me", he yelled holding my arms.

"Suniye, I have signed that shopping mall papers near our marriage hall. Your lawyer got me to sign them without telling me. But I don't need it. Please ask him to destroy those documents", I said I what I needed to say.

"Knew you would say this, that's why I had asked him to not to tell you. I don't know why he told you", Abhishek seemed surprised as he let my arms go.

"He didn't tell me, I figured it out myself. And please remember I had told you before we married, that I don't need any alimony", I reminded him.

"What alimony? This was not alimony. It's not for you anyway. Bulbul is struggling with that legal case. If you have this whole property as yours, no one will bother you and you mom can extend your marriage hall into it as well", Abhishek didn't seem to get the point.

"But the point is I don't want anything from you. Even those tickets you have bought for me to St. Andrews, let me please return the money", I brought up another issue and Abhi looked at me upsettingly.

"This is ridiculous. I don't get you, what do you want?", Abhi sat on a wooden log nearby.

"I don't want anything. I want nothing. I want nothing from you", I stressed.

"And you never wanted me either, hmm?" he asked piercing my eyes with his.

His question perplexed me. What did he mean when he said I never wanted him either? That didn't make sense.

"Abhishek" I walked and sat near him.

"So none of this meant anything to you? You just slept with me for the sake of it" he asked looking into my eyes.

"Abhishek what are you talking about? How could that be for the sake of it from my side. It meant everything to me", I had tears fill my eyes.

"That's what I had thought. It doesn't look like that when I am talking to you today", Abhishek said looking away.

"Please don't talk in circles. First you send your lawyer to transfer this property to my name as alimony and now you are blaming me of things", I cried.

"Alimony? What nonsense are you talking about? Are we doing divorce here? Who is giving you alimony? That's supposed to be a gift, you don't get that?" Abhishek yelled.

"Does this mean you weren't planning a divorce?", I was stunned.

"Divorce! Do you even know where had I been to this morning? For someone who should be preparing divorce papers, I am doing a pretty good job with a solitaire in my pocket", I couldn't comprehend his words.

"You just pissed me off, Pragya. You just assumed I will divorce you after all that we had shared?" he rubbed his fingers over his forehead.

"Abhishek, you never told me anything properly. I have always feared the worst. And when I saw the lawyer, I thought everything ended" I didn't even know why I was trying to defend myself.

"Do you think I would have slept with you, that too twice, without even worrying about protection, if I didn't mean it to be more than sleeping? Did I ever tell you I regretted it? And you know what, it's wasn't even about sex. How could you come to conclusions when we hadn't even talked about it?" Abhishek retorted.

"Because you always told me you don't believe in love, you didn't want to be in relationships", I reasoned.

"Yes I did. But you do believe in love, don't you? Why didn't you believe in yourself, when I could believe in you?" he was upset.

"Abhishek, I had no hopes. I couldn't dare to hope", I broke down.

"Chashmish, I am sorry. It's all my fault", Abhishek moved my hands off of my face and my glasses fogged with the steam of my tears. He wiped my tears and made me stand up. And he hugged me, holding my head to his chest. I sobbed in the safety of his arms to the content of my heart.

I knew he was crying too.

"I didn't want to fall in love with you", Abhishek said after a long time, separating us from the hug.

He sat on the log again and ran his hands through his hair, looking up at the sky.

"Because I was afraid of loving. I lost my parents when I was a 5 year old. I loved my sister more than my life. And you know what she did, she took her life away herself. The whole world, including Daadi thinks she died in an accident, that a truck hit her car. I had got the truck driver jailed. But the driver wanted to talk to me because he was my fan. And he told me that my sister was driving much above speed limit and herself hit the truck although he tried to avoid. I didn't believe him because I knew she drove way better than me. But a few days later, I found a letter in my music room where she said she didn't want to live without Purab. Purab and her were engaged and Purab left her because he fell in love with someone else. Purab had abandoned her and claiming to be my brother like best friend, didn't even bother to explain to me anything at that time. There you go, I lost my sister, lost my friend, and had this guilt of somewhere causing all this, because I was the one to suggest them to get engaged. And then Daadi threatened to leave me too with her ill health, I didn't want to lose the only love I had left in my life. That's why I married you making this deal with you.

And then there were these women in my life, and people in my celebrity world, who wanted everything associated with me but not me. But then, I found you, you cared for me without expecting anything in return. I knew all along I was foolish not to reciprocate to you, but I was contemplating if I wanted to tangle you in the mess of my life. I wasn't sure if I could love you as much as you loved me. But Chashmish, when you gave yourself to me that night, I gave myself to you too. I was not gonna let you go after that, ever, even if you wished. Because I am selfish, because I could sleep in your arms without having to be helped by those damned pills", Abhishek said biting his lip with tears flowing in his eyes.

"Abhishek", I kissed his face all over and hugged him. I was holding on to him like I would die if I let him go.

I didn't know how long we stayed in that hug. But we were forcefully separated by some animated human noises shouting "Abhi... rockstar.. Abhi...".

I was shocked to see mobiles clicking our pictures. A bus had parked near our car and people had recognized Abhi, the rockstar.

"Let's get out of here", Abhishek said holding my hand as he pulled me along to get into the car.

People, mostly girls, gathered around our car. Abhishek waved at them and blew some kisses in air.

"Welcome to my life", Abhishek winked at me as he drove carefully trying not to hit the flock of people around the car. He sped up as he reached the highway.

I put my head out of the window and watched the girls desperately trying to run behind the car, still clicking pictures. I couldn't believe I felt this way, but I was somehow proud I had something they all craved for. And I even remembered all those men who had rejected me with their own reasons. But that was just a moment, I really didn't want to think about any of that. I looked at Abhishek and smiled. He looked at me from the corner of his eye to say "what?", I smiled with wide stretched lips unable to hide my happiness as I looked at the passing trees on the way.

Epilogue

"No, I am not putting that ring on you. You don't want anything from me anyway, other than me", Abhishek placed the box on the table.

"Please, I may wear it myself, if you don't", I said making faces.

"I know you won't. This is your punishment for trying to get out of my life", Abhishek was adamant.

I was sad although I knew he was just playing around. But he immediately changed my mood as he pulled me into his arms and started kissing me again.

Five minutes later, he had me sit on him, *cough*, riding him.

When I was about to lose myself in passion, he stalled our movements by holding my hips, not allowing me to move.

I looked at him questioning his deed but I saw his hands reaching over to the side table, picking up the box that had the solitaire he got for me.

He took the ring out, took my hand and kissed it. He slid the ring in my ring finger and came up for a kiss.

And it was the bliss of my life.

Five years later-

-Purab has settled with the girl he had fallen in love with.

-Suresh finally had convinced Bulbul to marry him and they were tying the knot soon.

-Abhi's Daadi spends all her time with Aarav, her great grand child.

-My mother helped by my Daadi runs a shopping mall that focused on wedding needs along with her marriage hall.

-I got my doctoral degree from the University of St. Andrews as well as the University of Mumbai. I did most of my research work for my Ph.D. in a collaborative project in Mumbai, so that I could stay in Mumbai for most of the time.

-My Ph.D. course ended up taking five long years because I was soon pregnant with Aarav. Abhishek never wanted to use protection and I was reluctant too. But we were careful after Aarav although currently we are trying for another child.

-And Abhishek Prem Mehra, he still rocks the world as rockstar Abhi.. and rocks my world as Abhishek.

-I am happy.

With love,

-Chashmish (no, you can't call me that, only my husband can)

You can call me Dr. Pam (that's what my UK colleagues call me)

-Pragya Arora Mehra

nitarata thumbnail
Alright!!! The whole FF is posted in this page. Some of you wanted to reread it, so I hope it helps that it's all in one page now.