Nausena-Pt5-JA not Fiction-AKBAR-a TITLE?.P27+ MAHACHUCHAK BEGUM - P30

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
Hi all.

This time back with an interesting anecdote from the pages of history.
The topic deals with "Battle on Boats" - followed by "Surrender" - leading to some DEDUCTIONS.

Intro:
For those who got confused with title of this thread:

" NauSenas and Nazranas " ---> that means, "Navy and Gifts".

While reading Akbarnama, i came across an interesting event.😊
So, thought of doing more digging and to my amazement found 3 paintings from Akbarnama associated with the event.
I am describing them one by one.😊

And, later we can have a discussion on this topic.
I have tried to deduce some points from these paintings.

*********************************************************************************************************

Illustration 1

Description of Event:

Asaf Khan was a wazir to Akbar. He was also a highly effective military leader but, for reasons that are NOT given in Akbarnama, kept treasure that the Mughal forces had seized during a successful campaign in 1565, against the Uzbeks. He tried to flee with his supporters across the river Ganga, where Akbar's forces, led by the his famous general Shuja'at Khan, caught up with him. A fierce battle ensued, depicted in this illustration, but Asaf Khan escaped. In 1567, he sent messengers to the Mughal court asking for forgiveness, which was granted.

Details of this illustration

Physical description

Painting, in opaque watercolour and gold on paper, Shuja'at Khan pursuing Asaf Khan on the river Ganga. The image shows the two boats filled with weapon bearing men confronting each other.

Marks and inscriptions

'Tarh Tulsi Kalan/Amal Jagjivan' 'composition by Tulsi the Elder/ work by Jagjivan

Dimensions

Height: 32 cm, Width: 19.4 cm

Date of painting

1592-96

**********************************************************************************************************

The following 2 paintings were present OPPOSITE to each other in Akbarnama left and right.

Illustration 2

This is the left side of a double-page composition from the Akbarnama. The overall composition was designed by Miskina, one of the greatest artists of the Mughal court, with the details on this half being painted by Bhagwan. Together, they depict Akbar receiving spoils of war from his general Asaf Khan in Jaunpur in 1565. Akbar's encampment is shown outside the walls of a fort on a river bank. Asaf Khan brought the rarities of the region for the emperor, and presented him with elephants, and fine horses from Iran and Turkey. These animals are depicted on the other side of the composition.

Painting, in opaque watercolour and gold on paper, left half of double picture. Depicts Akbar receiving spoils of war. Akbar sits on a travelling throne inlaid with ivory beneath a red canopy outside the walls of a fort on a riverbank.

**********************************************************************************************************

Illustration 3

This is the right side of a double-page composition designed by Miskina, one of the greatest artists of the Mughal court. The details were painted by Nanha. Together with previous one, the paintings depict Akbar encamped next to the river Ganga. From 1565 to 1567, there were sporadic uprisings by Uzbeks in the eastern provinces of the empire. He took the field in May 1565 and succeeded in driving the rebels out of the territory. When Akbar encamped at Jaunpur during the campaign, he was joined by his leading general Asaf Khan(in previous picture) and other officers, who presented the emperor with rare gifts taken from the region during their campaign, and with horses and elephants from Iran and Turkey.

Painting, in opaque watercolour and gold on paper, right side of a double picture, Akbar receiving homage and gifts from Ali Quli Khan Zaman. Depicts animals being brought out of a fortified city for presentation to Akbar. In two upper windows, woman watch. Gifts and covered trays are held by servants who move towards the emperor.

Historical Note:

Akbarnama was commissioned by Akbar as the official chronicle of his reign. It was written in Persian by his court historian and biographer, Abu'l Fazl, between 1590 and 1596, and this partial copy of manuscript is thought to have been illustrated between about 1592 and 1595. This is thought to be the earliest illustrated version of the text, and drew upon the expertise of some of the best royal artists of the time.

Many of these are listed by Abu'l Fazl in the A'in-i Akbari, Volume 3, and some of these names appear in these illustrations, written in red ink beneath the pictures. These were for royal use, made for Akbar. After his death, the manuscripts remained in the library of his son Jahangir(1605-27), from whom it was inherited by Shah Jahan(1628-58).

After this, regarding the whereabouts of Akbarnama, etc. royal documents, i could not get the DOCUMENTATION, though they must be in Mughal libraries only. (but atleast i could not locate, despite trying hard to find their location.)

Remember Aurangzeb(1658-1707).?.?.πŸ˜‰..

Finally, Victoria & Albert Museum purchased many manuscripts in 1896 from Frances Clarke, the widow of Major General John Clarke, who bought it in India while serving as Commissioner of Awadh between 1858 and 1862.

Many Mughals libraries, after the first war of Independence, in 1857, were taken over by the British Authorities, and later manuscripts from these were sold off to foreign museums, etc.

*********************************************************************************************************

Regarding Boats, etc. :

BTW, it's a known fact that Akbar was fond of boat rides. And, after capturing Gujarat also, he went on a boat, and for the first time saw the vast Indian Ocean, i.e., Arabian Sea.πŸ˜‰..

(Remember "Nauka-Vihar of Akbar and his Ameri Mirchi."πŸ˜‰)

Even an artificial lake was constructed in FS.πŸ˜‰
(for multiple purposes)

Also, remember the Anup Talao in FS, used for repose purposes.πŸ˜‰

Following picture shows young Akbar, going from Delhi to Agra, in a boat, somewhere in 1562.

******************************************************************************************************

Note::

Also, during the siege of Gujarat (1572-73), boats were used for specific purposes. Later, Todar Mal, while moving to suppress rebel in Bengal during the rebellion of 1580-81, is said to have used boats. Finally, for Man Singh, it is said that, he even went to an extent to start preparing a navy to attack Sri Lanka,😲 while he was in Bengal. But, was recalled by Akbar. Various historians have seen this step as a blunder, coz Mughals could have developed a well-organized navy, by this.This is described as a lack on their part. Because after this, Portuguese disturbed Jahangir a lot, as they had well equipped navy. Another version says that, he retreated back as Sri Lanka had connection with Lord Ram.(explained on page-5).

Do peep in. With your views regarding these questions.!.😊...

I made this thread for mutual discussion. Would like to have your views on following issues. Before your views, i pen down my deductions:

1. Does the presence of ladies in the portraits speaks something of women's position in that era ? We have seen several illustrations from Akbarnama till now. posted by many members on the forum. Did you analyze them carefully ? Many of them had presence of women in the court ALSO. And, this picture depicts a war-conclusion scene and STILL, HERE ALSO, we have women's presence. I feel this is contrary to the opinion which many share about women in that era. Coz here the painter is exclusively painting them, ALSO, along with other persons. We also know, after defeat of Mirza Hakim, at the hands of Man Singh, Akbar handed over the reigns of Kabul in the hands of Hakim's sister. What do you feel regarding this issue...?...?...

******************************************************************************************************

One of the facts is that queens also got spoils of war.  And, "Nazraanas"πŸ˜‰, after the conclusion of a battle. BTW, there is also an interesting anecdote that, Man Singh, after winning a battle in Kabul / Lahore(can't recollect exactly the war), expressed desire to first dedicate the spoils of war to his aunt, MUZ.πŸ˜‰ Also, she used to receive a jewel from each nobleman, on the New Year Festival.

2. Also, about the expertise of the painters of those times, that in an illustration of a size comparable to 20x30 cms, they could display such fine scenes, with delicate details.??..πŸ‘

3. Would also like to hear about the destruction / losses of historical treasures at the hands of various agencies..?.?..

4. Also, regarding the fight on boats.?? This was interesting.

"Battle ON Boats" - "Surrender" - "DEDUCTIONπŸ˜‰" - From Akbarnama

*******************************************************************************************************

This was another lighter topic to kick-start a new thread. But, from these pictures and info above we can start a good discussion .!. There are many people here who are familiar with these paintings and the depth, which each portion of these paintings describe

Few Questions here have been the ones which are a part of our discussion for a lot of time. Would like to know your views for this.😊

Edited by history_geek - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Links of all threads, which are historically accurate.

I mean historically accurate, since digital media has created lot of distortions in the history of Akbar and Mariam Zamani/Heera Kunwari/Harka Bai. Mostly for communal and commercial reasons.

Here, are the links, of the threads, which have been compiled after extensive research from Authentic Gov. archives, not by one particular member, but by many researchers on the forum, who are interested in genuine history. 😊

Part1:
Mariam Uz Zamani - Unknown facts + Akbar-MUZ Divine Relation Pg-39 + Padshah Begum P-40
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3782915

Part2:
Akbar Ruqayya False Monogamy Clause, Ruqayya MC Incident, Akbar-Amer relations, etc.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3809107

Part3:
GLORY OF FAITH : Akbar with Mariam Zamani Begum - Their Famous Painting
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3826749

Part4:
Mughal Dresses + Holi festival + Mirza Hakim + Shivani Track info + Akbar-MUZ Convo., + Jodha's Sikri Palace + Sher Shah Suri + Akbar was dyslexic..??..etc
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3848936

Part5 - JA not Fiction- Nausenas n Nazranas - DEDUCTION - From Akbarnama 😊
Edited by history_geek - 10 years ago
adiana12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Abhay, not creating a naval force was the one blunder that Akbar did commit becoz he was already unbeatable on land and a strong naval foundation could have definitely had an impact. But it was not just Akbar's fault - I would say his successors also did not follow this up though they did have sea travel. 

Btw did he not build a warship in his workshop?!?!?!

And I love these miniatures!!! One of the greatest gifts to India by Akbar was Cultural - art, architecture, music and literature - This Emperor truly created a beautiful amalgamation of the diversity that he loved in Hindustan!!!
Edited by adianasr - 10 years ago
ann2012 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
awesome post! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

I especially like the deductions πŸ˜‰
Edited by ann2012 - 10 years ago
dkorumilli thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Abhay,

As usual great postπŸ‘ Those pictures have so many things and people , yet very clear. Really artists are just fantastic.
Coming to your questions, as I know very little of history (didn't remember anything at least what I studied in school) and just follow your posts 😊  putting my view on your first question about women position, I think women got some respect in all things or else how can our beloved mahamanga can become wazir e aliya. I mean even akbar is great he should see some protests if a woman is given such high position right if women is not so respected.

Anyways thanks for your posts and will wait for your next updates πŸ˜Š
Edited by dkorumilli - 10 years ago
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: adianasr

Abhay, not creating a naval force was the one blunder that Akbar did commit becoz he was already unbeatable on land and a strong naval foundation could have definitely had an impact. But it was not just Akbar's fault - I would say his successors also did not follow this up though they did have sea travel. 

Btw did he not build a warship in his workshop?!?!?!

And I love these miniatures!!! One of the greatest gifts to India by Akbar was Cultural - art, architecture, music and literature - This Emperor truly created a beautiful amalgamation of the diversity that he loved in Hindustan!!!

Adi,

All points very well said. Not developing a naval force can be taken as a folly. But, the power which he commanded on land, compensated for that.😊 Akbar did start ship-construction, though his successors did not develop it into a full-fledged activity, especially as an agent of warfare.

Though, at Akbar's time, Mughals had the imperial ship "Rahimi", which was under the charge of MUZ, which was used for trade and Haj travel, both, still they did not went as far as developing a naval force. Rahimi was unrivalled for its size, at that time also. It had the capacity to carry 1500 people.!!. And, was a bone of contention between the Portuguese and Mughals.

Regarding Akbar building "warships", i have not read.😊 But, yes, ships were constructed in Lahore, as per what i can recollect. And, the biggest proof is Rahimi itself, the ship of MUZ.
Shah Jahan's son, Shah Shuja was fond of ships, and had them at port of Surat.

Regarding these miniatures, incredible is the ONLY word with me. How beautifully in a picture of few cms, each and every detail is put up.πŸ‘

Abhay
Edited by history_geek - 10 years ago
RagSia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wow Abhay!
Really great info about Boat fight!!
Boat ride to sabhi kar lete hai..
Lol.
Anyways, by any chance this Asaf Khan z Agta Khan in show? (or something Jalal confuses me each tym he pronounces name)

Be it. Bt Jalal ko ManSingh ko navy k liye nahin rokana chahiye tha. Brits would also b kept in check. Bt may b it was costly n Shri Lanka, too far!

Bt A Pure Kshatriya should have aquired sea also!
Being from A pure naval warrior family, I would have loved to see Jalal foray into this field.
Nevetheless, he saw Ocean. N thats great. By any chance, did he ever cross more towards Mumbai or Goa?

Edit:
I have strong belief that Aurangzeb, (just as u pointed, may b feeling same) who was muslim extrimist, must have found many write-ups, deeds, decisions n A HINDU MUZ, too heavy to digest. N so, he destroyed them or did a ched chaad wid contents.
My sixth sense tells me that.Edited by RagSia - 10 years ago
KDR81 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Abhay:
This is my 2nd try as I lost the 1st post due to net issue...
Another Clean over from u...πŸ˜ƒ

I am amazed at the Shatirness of Akbar...How unassumingly but undoubtedly he made the artists carry forward the history of his reign through these pictures....πŸ˜ƒ

He probably saw with his visionary abilities that even if documents are destroyed, Witnesses are killed, Buildings are demolished...these pictures would be there to tell the future generation about his Wars, His Children, His subjects, His victories, His Lady-brigade's involvement in his achievements and so forth...!!😳

People like Aurangzeb probably couldn't decipher the Minute but Prominent detailing in the artworks which made them overlook these while the mass destruction was carried out... and that saved these " beauties" to tell future generation like us about the Great emperor's life and styles.😊

No wonder he is one of the Greatest Emperor that history ever Knows...!!πŸ‘

Regards,
Kamal
Donjas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Great post. Very interesting.
vijisridhar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 5
Wow really beautiful paintings with such exquisite details.  Old is always gold... Really some great work of artistes in those times. Very interesting and insightful. Thanks Abhay. BT the time this show is over, we all in the forum would have become Mughal experts. 
Am seeing women in the paintings, but, am also confusing that some could be eunuchs too who dressed like women. 

But, I know for sure that Akbar gave lots of importance to the views of the women in his kingdom. Probably he found them to be more loyal than men folks ... Hehehe..! 

I remember reading that when there are proceedings in DEK or DEA, his harem women were seated in the closed enclosure above (kind of first floor balcony). But, this enclosure is made of this ivory or marble which are thin like curtains and has designer holes in them, so women could see the proceedings from there, but the men courtiers below cannot see them. 

When these ladies wanted to say something, they called up from there and Akbar would strain his ears to listen to them. Also, if he wants opinions, he would raise his head, lean a bit for listening purpose and ask his khas begums for their opinions in the matter. 

Have also read that this was a point for some dissident courtiers who didn't like women to be given equal rights or sometimes a funny topic to discuss in the back of Akbar about him being a ladies man. 

Would like to read others opinions here.

Viji