Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jodah thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Translation of the Persian Text

The day of Azar '' 9th of Dey''(ancient Iranian calendar day) ... corresponding with Friday 2nd of Rabi'-al-thani(fourth month of Arabic/Islamic lunar calendar)
 [he] decided to depart for the noble capital and as he boarded on the ship with fortune, he via the sea ... The noblemen of the kingdom and the pillars [chief people] of the government were arranged and organised based on the capacity of the ships and boats and they turned to [the capital] and a large campaign turned toward [the capital] via the land route and the day of Farwardin 19th of Dey(ancient Iranian calendar day & month) ... corresponding with Monday 12th of Rabi'-al-thani(fourth month of Arabic/Islamic lunar calendar) the noble capital became under the glorified flags [i.e. it was conquered]

Text on bottom

His Majesty entering the ship and sailing toward the capital.
Design of Qoli, Craft of ...?(text erased)

Note in the brakets Green text is additional info i added regarding Islamic & Irani calender
months

hope it helped 😊
Akanksha_33 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Thanks for the valuable information Abhay... πŸ˜Š Edited by Akanksha_33 - 10 years ago
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: vijisridhar

Wow really beautiful paintings with such exquisite details.  Old is always gold... Really some great work of artistes in those times. Very interesting and insightful. Thanks Abhay. BT the time this show is over, we all in the forum would have become Mughal experts. 

Am seeing women in the paintings, but, am also confusing that some could be eunuchs too who dressed like women. 

But, I know for sure that Akbar gave lots of importance to the views of the women in his kingdom. Probably he found them to be more loyal than men folks ... Hehehe..! 

I remember reading that when there are proceedings in DEK or DEA, his harem women were seated in the closed enclosure above (kind of first floor balcony). But, this enclosure is made of this ivory or marble which are thin like curtains and has designer holes in them, so women could see the proceedings from there, but the men courtiers below cannot see them

When these ladies wanted to say something, they called up from there and Akbar would strain his ears to listen to them. Also, if he wants opinions, he would raise his head, lean a bit for listening purpose and ask his khas begums for their opinions in the matter. 

Have also read that this was a point for some dissident courtiers who didn't like women to be given equal rights or sometimes a funny topic to discuss in the back of Akbar about him being a ladies man. 

Would like to read others opinions here.

Viji

Hi Viji
                   Exactly, same points i too have read, and your description regarding involvement of women in court is perfect. I agree with these points. But, these paintings by no means imply eunuchs, and there are certain other paintings which depict women in similar manner. Afterall, this just demonstrates the "presence" of women while sharing such spoils.😊 (concluded so after reading a lot).

For your point @blue, have a picture, which talks of the enclosure which you have mentioned. Also, i went through certain papers, which mentioned that, the architechture of these enclosures for women was made in such a manner, that specific amount of light passed through them,πŸ€“ and these womenfolk could see the proceedings outside, but the outsiders could not see in. Also, the location was in such a manner that the Emperor could see them.πŸ˜†

The texts talk of various Geometrical angles at which these were constructed, so as to protect them from certain portion of the court, not the Emperor particularly. These type of constructions were mostly in Diwan-e-Aam.😊 Also, this was shown in the show, just after Jo-Ja's marriage, when Jalal orders to punish a man and his wife, when they came in DeA, to ask justice. And, later Jalal forgives them, after their young child makes Jalal burst in tears almost. Remember, in that scene, women-folk, were standing in a "balcony", and had access to happenings downside not the other way round.😊

Following is a type of structure, which you/i are talking about. (Though, this picture is not of DeK or DeA). Just for supporting the point.

@red..
Many are there, who did not like women getting a 'say' in court matters.
But, the famous one is Badayuni. I don't want to disclose other ones so early. πŸ˜† Maza kirkira ho jayega. Let's wait for the show. 😊
Edited by history_geek - 10 years ago
ayushimehra thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ayushimehra

AGAIN APPRICIATE YOU, PROVIDING US GREAT INFORMATION

IN THESE DAYS WE ALL ARE BECOMING HISTORY 'S   GOOD STUDENTSπŸ˜† πŸ˜†

DOES THE  PRESENCE OF LADIES IN THE PORTRAITS;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;  

YES, IN AKBAR'S ERA, WOMENS CONDITIONS  WERE BETTER. WOMEN PARTICIPATE IN DEK,SHE CAN SPEAK IN FRONT OF KING, WOMENS WERE PROVIDED HIGHER POISTIONS

EX. M U J  M U M. THEY  WERE QUALIFIED. SALIMA BEGUM. RUK. HAMIDA. GULBADAN. ETC 

THEY WERE PERFECT, IN (TEER, ANDAZI, CHESS, HUNTING.NURJHANHA  WAS PERFECT IN (TEER-ANADJI) BUT ONE TIME PUNSHIED BY JAHANGIR) SALIMA WAS GOOD POETESS(IT MEANS FREEDOM OF WRITING. GULBADAN IS ALSO EX)

I ALSO READ IN HISTORY (MUGHAL LADIES KNOWS HOW TO MAKE PREFUMES) IT SHOWS THEY CAN CHOOSE PROFESSION ACC. TO HER TASTE  LADIES WERE HAKKIMS.JODHA PRACTISEES IN SWORD, FIGHTING WHEN AKBAR WAS NOT AT  FATHPUR SIKKRI JODHA HANDLED SOME WARS,(IT SHOWS POWER OF WOMEN &FAITH OF KING TO QUEENS)
BUT ONE THING HOW AKBAR WAS BROAD. HE DID SO MUCH BROAD DECESIONS IN 16 CEN 
INTER CAST MARRIAGE) FREEDOM TO JODHA HER RELEGION. IT SHOWS HIS BRAVERY, HIS VISION& FEELINGS ABOUT WO-MEN. RUK WAS CHIEF- CONSULTANT. JODHA WAS SHIP INCHARGE. INCOME OF WHICH GET FROM TRADE ALSO GIVEN TO QUEENS. (IT SHOWS VAST THINKING.TRUST. HONESTY, CAPBILITY OF WOMEN, MUMTAJ WAS GOOD IN PAINTING
JODHA SINGING WAS FAMOUS IN AGRA&FAITHPUR SIKIRI. JODHA SINGS SOMETIME WITH TANSEN (SHOWS HIGH LEVEL THINKING)

DIFFERENT TYPE OF REALGION LADIES WERE LIVING TOGETHER SHOWS ONENESS THAT TIME. JODHA WANTS TO LEARN URDU. SHOWS FREEDOM OF LEARNING. HOLI DIWALI PAINTING JODHA'S TEMPLE IN FATHPUR SIKIRI WALLS DESCRIBED HINDU CULTURE SHOWS AKBAR GREATNESS& WOMEN POSITION IN THAT ERA

ALSO ABOUT THE EXPERTISE OF THE PAINTERS OF THOSE TIMES;

YES, PAINTERS OF THOSE TIMES PROVIDE US SO BEAUTIFUL PAINTINGS,PAINTERS ALSO DID GREAT JOB WHEN FORTS WERE CONSTRUCTING. THERE WALLS, THERE DESIGIONS.THERE ARCHITECTURE.COLOURS,TECHNIQUES.ACC TO PERSONALITY SHOWING PAINTINGS, IN AGRA FORT EVERY MARBLE SPEAKS EVERY WALL SPEAKS BECAUSE PAINTERS HAVE TO FREEDOM DESCRIBE THEMSELVES. IF WE SEE PAINTING AKBAR FACE. SO CONIFIDENT. BUT WHEN HE GOES TO AJMAR SHARRIF HIS FACE IS SHOWING HUMBLENESS THAT SHOWS GREATNESS OF PAINTERS, ARROWS .BOATSCENE EVERYPAINTING SPEAKS.(IN MUGHUAL TIME ART WAS EXTREEM LEVEL
IN AGRA FORT I REMEMBER FOUNTAINS, ARE MUSICAL GARDENS WERE BEAUTIFUL. IT SHOWS HOW TO LIVE . SOME RELAX IS NECESSARY. AKBAR DARBAR HAS NINE RATANS
THEY ALL ARE DIFFERENT;
BIRBAL; INTELLIGENT GOOD SPEAKER ETC ETC
EVERY RATAN HAS ITS OWN QUALITY . IT SHOWS AGAIN GREATNESS OF MUGHAL EMPIRE
I

WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HEAR;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

YES A LOT OF DESTRUCTION LOSSES OF HISTORICAL TREASURES AT THE HANDS OF VARIOUS AGENCIES. WE ARE  NOT PTOTECTING OUR HISTORICAL BUILDINGS.
 I VISTED AGRA FORT  FIRST TIME I SAW A SMALL MIRROR IN AGRA FORT WHICH WE SEE TAJ MAHAL THROUGH THAT MIRROR(SHAHJHAN SEES TAJ MAHAL THAT MIRROR WHEN HE WAS ARRESTED) BUT SECOND TIME WHEN I VISTED THAT MIRROR HAS BEEN BROKEN(SO SAD) KOHINOOR HEERA OF MUGHUALS WHICH WAS DECOTRACTED IN KINGS (TAKHAT) NOT AVAILABLE NOW MAYBEE STOLEN. THIS IS OUR SAFTY. I ALSO MENTION BEFORE EVERY PILLER HAS DIFFERENT MEANING IN FORTS.EVERY WALL CREATES DIFFERENT SOUNDS. 
IF WE SEE STARTING OF THAT PLACES HOW MUCH THEY SECURE. THEIR WORK. IF WE SEE CHAMBERS OF KINGS &QUEENS THEY  ARE MANUFACTURED ACC TO WEATHER. SMALL WALLS WHICH HAVE GAP WATER WAS FILLED IN SUMMER THEY WORK AS IN DAYS WORK COLLER OR AC.SO  SCIENCE &TECHNIQUES WERE GOOD THAT TIME. BUT WE ARE NOT  ABLE TO PROTECT THEM.

ALSO REGARDING THE FIGHT ON BOATS;

AKBAR EMPIRE WAS SO VAST THEY TRADE OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY.SO THEY USE SHIPS OR BOATS. MUJ WAS THE INCHARGE OF SHIPS. INCOME ALSO USED BY MUJ. I THINK MAYBEE ONE SHIP AFTER AKBAR DEATH WAS SEEGED WHICH WAS SOUGHT OUT BY HER SON JAHANGIR(SALIM) 

IN I6 CEN AKBAR HAS UNITED THE WHOLE KINGDOM &BECOME THE AKBAR THE GREAT FOR MANY REASONS.AFTER AKBAR;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

WHEN RAHIM WAS 15 YEARS OLD AKBAR LISTENS FROM HIM POEMS. AKBAR WAS FOND OF EVERY THING.(AKBAR HAS MANY QUALTIES, BUT IN SERIAL WHEN WE WILL SEE????????
JODHA HAS ALSO SO MUCH QUALTIES.

πŸ˜†(RABB NEE BANA DEE JODI)😊 πŸ˜Š

MUGHAL ALSO GIVE US     ;  TAJ MAHAL. LOT OF FORTS.

SHALIMAR BAGH. NISSHANT BAGH. RED FORT.;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

AMER TO AGRA FORT WHICH SURRUNG GOES SHOWS HOW AKBAR MIND WAS DEVELOPED THAT TIME(TRUST WITH AMER PEOPLE ALSO SHOWS)

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: LizBennett

Dear Abhay and Kamal,
The stuff you guys dig up is amazing..and hats off in absolute sincerity for your efforts...πŸ‘

These portraits are in appearance stylized and idealized images...but do in fact, convey events of historical importance. I offer the comparison only to emphasize that at this time,Renaissance Europe was moving towards humanism and more realistic depictions of people and events...real or religious/ historical/mythological...
Having said that..these images from the Ain-E-Akbari are beautifully illustrated..and give us the only window we have to an image of that era...and also to the great man himself...

When I had gone to see the plant and bird miniatures from the time of Jahangir at the MET museum..there was a placard that said that some artists used brushes with a single brush hair...to illustrate the bird plumage...and their attention to detail is mind blowing and humbling...the effect of Europe or to be more precise...the European school could be seen in those images..

Emperors and other noble patrons were portrayed in a stylized manner, not that dissimilar to ancient Egypt ...side profiles, a certain pose..few realistic details...but some always do creep through... ,esp in later days of Akbar and during Jahangir's reign...but, during the time of Shah Jahan..wherein the decline of the Empire...was in effect eating away at the roots of the empire, painting codes became more rigid..
The miniatures I saw were by Basawan,and his proteges , Govardhan and another person..I forget...
But what I remember is simple awe and joy...that. Such works were left for us to view and marvel at...
Jahangir, for all of his opium addiction..was a quasi Renaissance man..a scientist, an art patron..and a nature lover...
I always think of Akbar as India's Lorenzo..our own Il Magnifico...with a bit of a restless Leonardo thrown in..😊

Welcome.😊
You have written a lot about the paintings.πŸ‘

Would like to add some bits here, especially regarding effect of European Painting on Mughals (which i know, more effects may be present.).
The European painting,introduced by Portuguese priests in the court,  main effect they had on paintings were --> "the principles of fore-shortening, whereby near and distinct people could be placed in perspective".

Regarding, the "another painter", probably it's Mukund, Dasawant, Mishkina, Tulsi, or Nanha. 😊
SpringBreakers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Hello Abhay!πŸ˜ƒ. Great post you have there again!

1.One thing I have to say is that I was always sure beforehand itself that women in that era were given immense respect. In fact, when I saw the film 'Jodhaa Akbar' (I know it is not based on true facts), the scene that struck me the most was the scene in the khema after their wedding. Jodha refused to have her first night with Akbar that time and he respected that! Immensely laudable!πŸ‘. Even in the show, he respects her decision of waiting and wants her consent before they take the next step. Also, Maham Anga held a high post in his court. After her MUZ, also had a special status in his life as well as the political and economical affairs of the Sultanate. Even his mother Hamida Banu was given immense respect. The fact that the women of those times are shown in their paintings proves it! Okay, I agree there were people like Shariffuddin and Adham who disrespected women of the places they won in war, but otherwise I believe the general status and respect given to women was much higher.πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜³

2. Wow! That is the first time I am hearing something about this!πŸ˜ƒ. I really didn't know at all that artists created a 20x30cm illustration with such fine details! To think of it, the technological advancement of those times was nothing compared to what we have today! The technology we have now helps us give a perception about depth, detail etc. about any image we want. However, in those times having such skill and technique is big thing in itself!πŸ˜ƒ. Their power of perception must have been great!πŸ˜ƒ

3. As far as destruction and loss of historical treasures of those times is considered , I feel that our Government is only partly responsible. Agreed, that our Government has made very poor efforts in preservation and restoration of these treasures. But then, India was also a country which was frequently invaded by foreign powers and these rulers carried off with them all these priceless items. As far as Akbar and MUZ are concerned, I feel that Aurangzeb was a major factor in destroying any clear evidence of her existence. Since he was a fanatic, it was but natural for him to be overwhelmed by her status and special position in Akbar's life and the fact that she was a Hindu only must have further aggravated it. Hence, the entire destruction of evidence!

4. Hmmm...fight on boats, now that is interesting. Since, the Mughal army was mostly trained for combat on land, it must have been an entirely different ball game to fight on water!πŸ˜ƒ. Also, Akbar must have not felt the need to develop a Navy for his kingdom, since his army was well prepared for any combat on land and also that any possible invasion to his kingdom would be from the North which has no ocean or sea. I wonder how did they manage to fight on boats though, must have been interesting to watch!πŸ˜ƒ

Anyways, an interesting and informative post by you once again! Keep up the good work and dispel all the myths in people mislead by wrong information with your posts!πŸ˜ƒ

Regards,
Samanika😊
NutellaWaffle thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 10 Thumbnail + 8
buddy first appreciating u for ur effort n researchπŸ‘πŸ‘thanku for the excellent and valuable info😊
asaf khan was wazir(is it after atgah khan death by any chance or before AK??)kudos to the artists at that time for making clear and visible paintingsπŸ‘it seems like Akbar is fond of boatride whether its battle or dateπŸ˜†The women in the portrait do suggest their position in mughal era..i read that akbar do take suggestions in DEK from them...those two women seems lik ruks and MUZπŸ˜†
vijisridhar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 5
Awesome... that pic of the enclosure screen for Harem women is superb. It shows, how lots of detailing went in protecting women in those days. Not to forget ofcourse, there were atrocities against women in those days too like it still continues now.

Thanks for reinforcing my points, feel good about being validated.

@red..
Many are there, who did not like women getting a 'say' in court matters.
But, the famous one is Badayuni. I don't want to disclose other ones so early. πŸ˜† Maza kirkira ho jayega. Let's wait for the show. 😊

Now am intrigued with this statement above.. will await to unravel in the show.

Viji
134566 thumbnail
I can not see the women. In which picture and where are they? πŸ˜­
134566 thumbnail
Please tell.Edited by 134566 - 10 years ago
Previous
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25
Next