Namrata Shirodkar: “It is an ego booster!

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago

Namrata Shirodkar: "It is an ego booster!"

What is your fondest memory when you won the Miss India crown?
"I remember on the final day, all my friends from the fashion world, Saba, Allison, Queeny, Rhea were there, along with my family and close friends. And everyone was overjoyed to hear my name announced. From the corner of my eyes, I could see everyone backstage jumping with joy and hugging each other because I had won. That is really my fondest memory of the event."
What do you think of India voting for Pond's Femina Miss India 2006?
"I think it is really great that the rest of India gets to vote on SMS. It is simply an extension of the event. All those who cannot take part in the actual event can have access to the show through this medium, so it is quite exciting in itself. It gives the common man the importance he deserves. And for an event of his magnitude, I think this is what was needed to make it a bigger success."
What would you have said if India had voted in the year you were crowned?
"Oh, it would have been an amazing feeling. After all, the common man voting for you is a vindication of your success. There can be no questioning of the judging process after that. It is an ego boost to know that the whole of the country thinks you should win, rather than just ten judges deciding the winner. It's tantamount to a politician's feeling when he is voted in by the janta. I think at least a percentage of the final points should be decided by the general public. This will go a long way in making the process more transparent." (As told to DOMINIC FERRAO)