Ruswa (GEO TV) Full drama review

Taify thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

RUSWA(GEO TV) By : Altaf Hussain

TVKahani brings you another review.When the first poster of Ruswa came out, I was excited. The image of Maria Wasti draped in a Sari(playing a Hindu character) excited me. I waited for the drama to start thinking GEO was back with a bang. It came from AB Productions ' I was bound to be excited.
But, Alas!. All that glitter is not Gold. The first episode was indeed good with the background of the character Sundri(Maria Wasti) highlighted.

Story : The drama revolves around the character(Sundri) played by Maria Wasti who gets married to an old man, and runs away finding hostage at Abba Ji(Qavi Khan's) place eventually turning to Islam and marrying Saim(Faisal Qureshi) upon his father's wish. The story takes a turn when his former wife returns.
Ah, story(or lack of it) is the culprit in this case. Indeed, the idea of a Hindu woman going through troubles, getting inspired by Islam, and accepting it is novel , but it looks like nothing was done to make the plot any more interesting. It's a very thin plot that offers nothing.
The initial two episodes are interesting but then the drama moves at snail's pace(or shall I say, doesn't move at all) too much time is wasted with nothing major happening on screen. The twists that await the viewers in the latter episodes are just too obvious. Fail.

Technicalities: Directed by Erum-binte-Shahid, the drama fails to impress. The direction is poor. Another fail here. Yes, she is let down by apology of a script, but herself fails to leave any impression.
The script is weak, and the dialogues not intriguing . The cinematography is good to weak. The production values look weak too(surprisingly!). Editing is weak(what with the long shots?) The drama wastes too many precious minutes with one of the character sulking and the irritating background music running. Title Song is a failure too.

Characters: The main lead Sundri/Soni(Maria Wasti) looked to be an interesting character at the early stages but then starts getting irritating after a point time. You never see Sundri smile, react, laugh or mingle. All she does is roam around expressionless or crying. WHAT?
The character potrayed by Faisal Qureshi(Saaim) is another weak character. First of all, he just is not the right person to be playing this role. The white hair look very bad. The character does not has any definite characterstics here. Poor writing.
Abba Ji's(Qavi Khan) character is another one that deserves a mention. Written beautiful it follows a path ultimately dying. The character has a mission, but the love for Sundri is not well explained.

Relationships: The relationship shared by Abba Ji-Sundri is the most prominent part of the serial. Abba Ji brings Sundri home magically seeing the good side of her, and they get into a father-daughter relationship. The reaction of Abba Ji's daughter is well handled.
The husband wife relation shared by Faisal-Maria is good. It's a thin line that is written beautifully, but could've been better.Arjumand Rahim manages to give the happenings that much needed boost.
The sibling relationship is not really gone into depth. It had the potential to be something good.

Acting: Maria Wasti is good in the role of the bechari aurat. The problem is that she stays that way throughout the drama. There is no contrast. The actress is used as a prop in most of the scenes. Faisal Qureshi is one amazing talent, and we expect great things from him but here (I wonder why he said yes to the role) he fails to impress. The role does not offer anything new for the actor. Qavi Khan is one great actor, and he has proved it time and again. He is great in his sweet role of Abba Ji who has great depth to him.
Amber Naureen doesn't get much scope but leaves an impact. Nazil Naseer is restricted, and wasted. The rest of the cast is okay. Noman Habib does register an impact.

Over All : Ruswa is a good opportunity wasted. Everyone tends to make mistakes, and this is one of the biggest mistake by AB Productions in recent times. This one is better missed.

Rating:

http://www.tvkahani.com/forums/index.php?topic=653
Edited by Taify - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

karankittu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Has it finished in pk or still going? :\ its just started in england and it looks interestingish
Taify thumbnail
its about to end...
the reviewer knows the end so can judge it :P

and as mentioned there, it looks interesting in the beginning
but then only goes downhill.

Edited by Taify - 13 years ago
Usman. thumbnail
it never looked interesting to me.. so, dint watch it.. now i think i made a good decision :P