Star Of The Week - August 1st - August 7th

alaipayuthey thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
"Who is this Kutty?"
"He is not Kutty, he is Polladhavan..."
"Yesterday he was Polladhavan, tommorow he will be Maapillai"
This week's "Star Of The Week" is none other than...
Dhanush made his debut in the film Thullavadho Illaimai directed by his father. He then went on and did so many films and soon he got noticed. He is known as the skinny dude in the industry but who would have thought that he would have so many good and hit films to his credit. Critically acclaimed films include Kadhal Kondein, Pudhupettai and Aadukalam. One of his recent films, Aadukalam, bagged him the National Award which is rare considering his age.
Edited by HoneyLimeUsha - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

alaipayuthey thumbnail
Source for the below content is Wikipedia
Acting career
Early career: 2001–04
Following his upbringing as the son of a noted director, Dhanush debuted under the direction of his arima Kasthuri Raja in the Thulluvadho Ilamaiwith fellow debutant, Sherin. Upon release, the film fetch up big reviews and was a blockbuster, following the story of his character, Mahesh, and how his friends help him elope with his girlfriend , Kezia.
But Dhanush's breakthrough film was in his brother Selvaraghavan's debut directorial venture, Kadhal Kondein. The film portrayed Dhanush as a mentally-disturbed youth, Vinodh, who yearned for the love of his friend, played by Sonia Agarwal, eventually turning possessive over her. Upon release, the film won critical acclaim and became a commercial success, capitulating Dhanush into the main foray of actors in Tamil films. Furthermore his next film, released later in 2003, Thiruda Thirudi became a blockbuster. Appearing in his first hero-centric film, Dhanush earned Good reviews for his portrayal opposite debutant Chaya Singh. Furthermore, his performance in the song, Manmadha Rasa, was appreciated, subsequently earning the song cult status.
Setback: 2004–05
Despite achieving three profitable ventures in his first three films, Dhanush's following films all gained mixed reviews and were commercial failures. The first failure was his first action film,Pudhukottaiyilirundhu Saravananopposite Aparna Pillai, was lamented by critics as a "poor film".This was followed by Ramana'sSullan, which received negative reviews. However the film, which had Sindhu Tolanias the lead heroine, was dubbed into Telugu as Maurya. The third and most-criticized failure was Dreams alongside two new heroines. The film directed by his father, like their previous venture was released with reviews claiming it was another adult film.[12]This hampered the film's progress, and the film remains Dhanush's biggest failure till date.
In 2005, Dhanush had two average grossers in Devathaiyai Kanden and the much-hyped Balu Mahendra'sAdhu Oru Kana Kaalam. The former was a commercial venture, directed by debutant Boopathy Pandian, which despite receiving average reviews on Dhanush's performance, was dubbed into Telugu, while the latter, an off-beat venture, which featured Dhanush opposite Priyamani, received rave reviews but failed to succeed at the box-office.
Breakthrough: 2006–present
Dhanush's biggest film, in terms of budget, til date is the 2006-released Pudhupettai. The film, re-united him with his brother after their successful previous venture, pitted him against two prominent heroines Snehaand Sonia Agarwal. The movie is about the rites of passages in the life and times of an everyday-man who ends up as a dreaded gangster, 'Kokki' Kumar, the role portrayed by Dhanush. A critic praised Dhanush's realistic portrayal, claiming that "as the innocent boy who transmogrifies into a bloody criminal, Dhanush is utterly believable. The subtle changes in his body language and his ability to give every expression a deeper meaning make the character more interesting. This is certainly one of his better performances." The film which became universally critically praised, failed to relate to Tamil Naduaudiences and ended up being an above average grosser at the box-office, despite the positive reviews. The film fared marginally better, in the Telugu dubbed version, titled Dhoolpet. Dhanush achieved his first hit in three years with the commercial entertainer Thiruvilayadal Arambam, alongside Shriya Saranand Prakash Raj. The comedy film showed the relationship between a poor man who loved the sister of a businessman. The film was well-received by critics and audiences alike.
Dhanush's first release of 2007, Parattai Engira Azhagu Sundaram, bombed at the box-office, gaining negative reviews in the process. The film, which was a remake of the successful Kannadalanguage film, Jogi, starred him opposite Meera Jasmine However, his second film Polladhavanreleased during Diwali2007, became a blockbuster at the box office, in which his performance was raved. Polladhavan, based on 1948–ItalianneorealistThe Bicycle Thieves, featured Dhanush opposite Divya Spandana, and the film's "fresh screenplay" by director Vetrimaran helped the film become a super hit.
The remake of a successful Telugu film directed by his brother, was the plotline for Dhanush's first 2008 release. Directed by debutant M. Jawahar, Yaaradi Nee Mohini with Nayantarabecame a big blockbuster at the box-office. He later appeared in a cameo appearance, for his father-in-law Rajnikanth's venture, Kuselan, being portrayed as himself in a song sequence. His subsequent venture was Suraj's Padikathavanopposite Tamannaah Bhatia which had a January 2009 release. His performance was praised, with Sify.com citing that "Dhanush is in top form in his dance" and "has improved a lot in action", with claims that the climax fight featuring him was "outstanding" and the film had become a super hit, giving Dhanush a "hat-trick of successes". His following 2010 films Kuttyand Uthama Puthiran, both collaborations with director Mithran Jawahar, received mixed reviews and but once decent hits .
His first 2011 release Aadukalam, marking his second collaboration with Vetrimaran, gained very positive reviews, with Dhanush receiving accolades for his performance including the National Film Award for Best Actor, becoming the youngest actor to win the award. The film overall won six prizes at the 58th National Film Awards. In his next release, Seedan, he appeared in an extended cameo role. His next two ventures were action-masala films; Mappillai, a remake of his father-in-law'ssame-titled 1989 comedy flick and Venghaiby Hari, which opened to mixed and negative reviews, respectively. His forthcoming venture include another collaboration with his brother in Irandam Ulagam.
He has signed his next untitled project that will be directed by his wife, Aishwarya Rajnikanth. Amala Paul is said to be paired opposite Dhanush in Aishwarya's first directorial venture.
Personal life
Family
Dhanush was born to film director Kasthuri Raja as Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja. He finished higher education and entered acting, after being pressurised by his brother, director Selvaraghavan. Dhanush was married on 18 November 2004 to actor Rajinikanth's daughter Aishwarya. They have two sons, named Yatra (b. 10 October 2006) and Linga (b. 21 June 2010).
alaipayuthey thumbnail
Interviews
Source –behindwoods.com
What are your strengths as a performer?

As a performer, I think my strength lies in knowing my plus and minus, mostly minuses. Only when I do intense homework, will I know about the expressions and body languages that are suitable to me. Choosing the right kind of appropriate expressions and practicing them in real life renders a natural feel when I stand in front of the camera. On the other hand, when I think and bring out an expression, it would appear contrived. As a performer, there are two things I do. Firstly, I listen to my director just like a school student and secondly the home work I do to decide on my reactions and mannerisms.
Do you consider these aspects while choosing your scripts?

Obviously yes! I look for a gripping screen play, characterization of the protagonist and the extent to which I can relate to the script. I will be acting it out in my mind when I am hearing the narration and would decide on whether it would be apt for me or not.
You forayed into the industry with romance-based films but now the focus is shifting to comedy and action. Is it deliberate?

This trend has been a time-tested one. An actor's growth follows this path -from a new face to a lead character to a hero and then a star. When he starts his career, it would be with romance as anyone can do romantic characters as they are easy to accept. Slowly the curve will include action and comedy. Hence this is not my exclusive graph and it has been like this for ages.
In the industry, where do you see yourself after a certain period?
I am not able to pinpoint and say but direction is my passion and ambition. It is quite natural as my dad and brother are directors and direction runs in my blood. Acting is God given which I am doing right now. I don't know when I will take the plunge into direction and how things will proceed. Perhaps I would want to be like Clint Eastwood after 20-30 years.
Do you wish to work specifically with any director?

I only look for scripts no matter who the director is. The director who impresses me with a script is THE director for me. I only want to feature in good scripts. That's about it.
How are your sons and why have they not been shown to the media?
My two boys Yatra and Linga are fine. Yatra is four years old and is turning out to be much disciplined and mature for his age. When I was his age, I did not even know English alphabets but he speaks to me fluently in the language. Barring English speaking skills, his looks, behavior and eating habits are just like mine. Linga is five months old and he does what babies of his age do - eating and sleeping.
I am not showing them to the media because I want them to live a simple and normal life like how I did. Yatra walks to his school, goes for grocery and vegetable shopping and goes to beach. More than anything, I am impressed that he walks to his school. If his face is known, then he cannot do these simple things. I want to raise my kids the way I was raised. These are the only reasons apart from safety factor.

There is also a time for everything. It took around 16 years for a camera flash to capture me. It took three super hits to change from that one camera to ten cameras. It takes hard work to reach a particular position. Just because he happens to be my son, he does not deserve this. Warranting attention due to the sheer qualification of being my son is not right. He needs to work and get that attention. That's what would add to both our glories.
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Thank you for the wonderful information Usha 👏. Really loved the signatures and the description!
When Dhanush started his career with Thulluvatho Illamai, I wondered why a young chap was being introduced too soon. Then came Kadhal Kondein, which was an intesnse yet tough role. Never the less, Dhanush pulled it off 👏. However, I always wondered why he was sticking to such unual roles, and then came Thirudha Thirudhi, and the song "Manmatha Rasa" 😆. We may have watched that song over 50 times, primarily for Dhanush's dance! Then he got into commerical movies, but I must say his choice of films have a variety in them. Pudhupettai was a different type of movie, while Yaaradhi Nee mohini was another. I loved Yaaradhi Nee Mohini, and may have watched that movie over 10 times. Its surprisng but my family members have watched most of Dhanush's films... though he may not be a buff, muscular actor, he has got a great sense of humour and good acting skills, hence he is def an entertainer.
Once in Koffee with Anu, with Surya and Udhay, Surya had given the "rising talent" award to Dhanush, for his great acting potentials. And then a year later, he had bagged the national award for his acting in Aadhukalam 👏!
Well, we hope to see many entertainers with good stories from Dhanush ⭐️...
Once again, thank you Usha 👏👏