Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by: diasingh2

I find SRK's character most annoying in the film. But he was not a womanizer who objectified women or looked at every woman around him with lust. What happened between Dev and Maya was so much more than just plain "cheating".

bold: I think you're the first one I read this being expressed smiley27 I strongly feel that it is one of the points that made Dev an understandable character and not a stereotype... Karan seems to know SRK well: a flawed man with a lot one still can love.

And absolutely yes to the green part smiley27

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Oh I see. I didn't realize KJo's intentions were just to shock and scandalize and showcase other facets of SRK as an actor. I can see why after 3 films with him as a purely romantic hero, even KJo wanted to try something different now. Same with MNIK. I don't think KJo's intentions are really all that bad then or something to be criticized. A lot of actors or directors like to branch out and try new things. If he wanted to showcase his favorite actor in a different light, then I don't think there is anything wrong with that although SRK seemed to perhaps not like how far KJo went.

It's not this "just", it's an "also"...with SRK as his brotherly friend KJo could dare to explore an idea that is part of his thinking/feeling (as following movies have shown)...and for SRK, Dev was an interesting character (and I think he really bowed to KJo's vision).

And it should also be noted that even in the prologue of the movie, before his accident, many of his snarky and competitive traits are already apparent. When Rhea confirms that she's gotten the job, Dev makes a rather sarcastic joke about that and her pay vs his but that's taken as a joke because at this point, Dev hasn't lost everything. But it shows that the mentality already existed.

Absolutely! The fact that he married without a lot of consideration for his partner's needs (as still far too many men are educated) only dawned him when he changed views through his relationship with Maya.

I think those 3 years apart after their respective divorces helped Dev become less possessive. His possessiveness is what instigates the physical affair. The punishment for that is 3 years of utter isolation and guilt. The movie makes several references to this being a punishment or hell for Dev and Maya's actions, as even she repeats at the end that nobody knows but her what she experienced. And Rhea of course suggests that this 3 year period was only the start, and the real punishment will come from living with Dev on a daily basis. ...

So I do think by the end of the movie, he's not nearly as possessive ...

I agree ... and this is also the reason why I think that Karan wanted a kind of 'happy ending' (which we don't know how happy it will be). It's, in fact, the second chance for both of them...and I think, they deserve to get it as I think that the movie tried to be less judgemental as the respective audience. (i reall think that KJo is less conservative in certain thinking than SRK.)

I do think KJo's main mistake with KANK was removing those deleted scenes of Dev and Maya learning to better each other. Plus the scene of Rhea coming to Arjun's football game. Those scenes were pivotal for the growth of all and I can see why SRK was annoyed those scenes were removed.

Without any doubt from my side...an important mistake from KJo's side (he could have left out some other scenes, I think). His editing damaged the reception.