Official List Of Top 15 Actresses Of 90's decade: AGREE OR DISAGREE ?

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 months ago

In most of the articles and magazines' rankings I have been through over the years, I came across more or less this list of official ranking for the entire 90s decade of its female leads.  

Do you agree with this list of top 15 actresses of 90s? if not please provide your own list in the comments with the reasons backing up your posts:

(1) MADHURI DIXIT

(2) JUHI CHAWLA 

(3) KAJOL 

(4) KARISHMA KAPOOR

(5) RAVEENA TANDON

(6) URMILA MATONDKAR 

(7) TABU 

(8) MANISHA KOIRALA

(9) POOJA BHATT

(10) SHILPA SHETTY 

(11) SONALI BENDRE

(12) TWINKLE KHANNA

(13) MAMTA KULKARNI 

(14) MADHU 

(15) AYESHA JHULKA

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

I was meaning to post in this the other day but I was caught up in fanwars. For the most part, you're above participating in those types of petty threads (even if you don't seem to mind getting a laugh at the posts) so I appreciate this more nuanced thread.

I mostly agree with this list but I believe Urmila should be higher than Raveena. There was a lot of hype around her as the next Sridevi, at the top in beauty, dancing, acting, etc. She had more awards nominations and critical fanfare than Raveena who was dismissed as lightweight. And Urmila could hold her own against Sridevi in Judaai whereas Raveena against her in Laadla (or even Rekha) was very embarrassing. Urmila had the top songs by the late 90s such as Chamma Chamma which is internationally known. Urmila was able to branch out as an individual heroine in solo films which Raveena could never do, nor did anyone want to see her like that.

Not anyone could overshadow Aamir in Rangeela but Urmila did and became the face of the film. Urmila is also responsible for bringing in Manish Malhotra in Bollywood. Her shelf life is also extraordinary. Most 90s actresses by the 2000s had retired to marry and have families like Madhuri, Sridevi, Karishma, Kajol, Raveena, etc. Juhi was basically forced to leave leading roles for supporting ones because her films were flopping and audiences weren't accepting her anymore. Only 2 90s actresses were able to keep up a career in the 2000s which were Urmila and Shilpa. Even though both had been acting in the early 90s (they weren't late 90s heroines like Rani, Preity, Aishwarya who are more 2000s heroines), they could keep up a career for basically 2 decades. Urmila at the end of the 2000s was still enough in demand that Yash Raj Films wanted to sign her but she refused. That's based on the goodwill for her in the 90s and her strong legacy since then. And Urmila was the one getting the top parts, like Karishma's role in Dil Chahta Hai which she initially accepted before dropping out last minute, whereas I've never heard of Raveena getting roles of this caliber. Even Fiza in 2000 was meant for Urmila originally.

A case could be made to raise Shilpa higher as well based on what I said above, plus she still has iconic songs, pairings, and movies from the 90s, and is still going strong as a public figure today.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

What it could have looked like if Urmila was the third Yash Raj heroine alongside Rani and Preity.