Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 months ago

Originally posted by: Mages

Honestly both couples did not have any issues in their marriage its Dev & Maya who are problematic.  

Tell me you watched the movie without watching the movie.

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 2 months ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Tell me you watched the movie without watching the movie.

I watched the film but my perspective is different i did not find the flaws because both of their spouses were amazing the problem is with them. Communication is the main key to any marriage be it a successful marriage or an unsuccessful marriage. They never communicate and cheat behind their spouses back. They were selfish and only cared abt themselves in that process they hurt so many people who loves them

There is a character of Arjun Rampal if i am not mistake who loves Rhea. Rishi was also unhappy due to Maya behaviour both were also unhappy in their marriage but both never went around and cheat in marriage. They stay loyal and true to their partners as they truly love their spouses. Its all in you how you work and put an effort in your marriage to work of if still does not work than talk and decide for a divorce so that both are free from a unhappy marriage

Its people perspective how they see the characters and story for me its disgust. Many who watched the film might think they have issues in their marriage but the fact is they did not put any effort to work on their marriage and start afresh neither bothered to communicatate to talk sort & decide on their relationship. Well its my perspective but than for others they might see it in another way

If i was Dev and Maya i don't cheat my spouses i rather work on my marriage and start afresh. I will talk out what is bothering me and pour out my issues to my spouse and let him/her know what i am going through and we start afresh. If things are not going well than we file for a divorce and separate with no baggage

EMA something happens in real life, if make a film based on it than show realistically it will be accepted not crap. Till now even when i am talking abt it i am still thinking why Dev & Maya did not even communicate with Rishi & Rhea regards to where their marriage is going wrong and what is the decision for the future. They could have do it w/o cheating and once they confirm they do not want to be in this relationship they can start their relationship after the divorce procedure

Edited by Mages - 2 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

I watched the film but my perspective is different i did not find the flaws because both of their spouses were amazing the problem is with them. Communication is the main key to any marriage be it a successful marriage or an unsuccessful marriage. They never communicate and cheat behind their spouses back. They were selfish and only cared abt themselves in that process they hurt so many people who loves them

There is a character of Arjun Rampal if i am not mistake who loves Rhea. Rishi was also unhappy due to Maya behaviour both were also unhappy in their marriage but both never went around and cheat in marriage. They stay loyal and true to their partners as they truly love their spouses. Its all in you how you work and put an effort in your marriage to work of if still does not work than talk and decide for a divorce so that both are free from a unhappy marriage

Its people perspective how they see the characters and story for me its disgust. Many who watched the film might think they have issues in their marriage but the fact is they did not put any effort to work on their marriage and start afresh neither bothered to communicatate to talk sort & decide on their relationship. Well its my perspective but than for others they might see it in another way

If i was Dev and Maya i don't cheat my spouses i rather work on my marriage and start afresh. I will talk out what is bothering me and pour out my issues to my spouse and let him/her know what i am going through and we start afresh. If things are not going well than we file for a divorce and separate with no baggage

EMA something happens in real life, if make a film based on it than show realistically it will be accepted not crap. Till now even when i am talking abt it i am still thinking why Dev & Maya did not even communicate with Rishi & Rhea regards to where their marriage is going wrong and what is the decision for the future. They could have do it w/o cheating and once they confirm they do not want to be in this relationship they can start their relationship after the divorce procedure

I've written a lot of essays on this movie already lol so I'll try to keep this short in my response. What I'll say is that real life is not black and white. It's mostly full of grey people, people who are neither bad or good but can do bad or good things. 

When KANK came out, it caused an epidemic of divorce in Desi couples. People went up to KJo or whoever was involved in this movie and said this movie opened their eyes to their own failing relationship/marriage. What this shows me is that what was portrayed on KANK was not something so unique or so evil that nobody could relate to it. If there was audience rejection from some crowds, it's because they could relate to it but didn't want to admit it. The ones who were brave enough to do so were presumably more free as they thanked this film for saving them from a flagging marriage. How many movies can you say left enough of an impact to cause social change?

You ask why Dev and Maya could not just divorce first before starting a relationship. I agree that in an ideal world, that would have been best. But people do not always make the best decisions, in real life especially, and I would rather see a movie true to life than sugarcoated and watered down just to not make viewers uncomfortable. Art is not always meant to be comfortable. Sometimes it needs to make you squirm a little to broaden your perspective. If portrayal of infidelity in a film, because Dev and Maya were too weak to end their relationships first before starting a new one, helped people learn from their mistakes and end their own relationships without resorting to cheating, I would consider that a win. Better to portray evil or something bad in a film so that real life people can learn from that and not do the same thing.

And while what Dev and Maya did wasn't altogether good, I don't consider it altogether bad either. Yes, it hurt people, but it also gave them the only solace they had after so many years. Between just the two of them, their love was pure, and I've always believed all love is good. They were soulmates and meant to be and it's unfortunate that in the road to discovering each other, they first had to experience trial and error and break other hearts before they could finally be together. There's a reason that SRK's ending lines in the movie mention how they wish they could have found a way to be together on a road that wasn't paved with so much pain for others. As such, I think it's equally as important that Rhea and Rishi find love as well and get their happy endings before Dev and Maya can. As you pointed out, Rhea and Jai (Arjun Rampal's character) clearly were more compatible and Rhea could have done what Dev and Maya did before they did and start her own affair. But she did it the right way, trying to fix her marriage until she realized how utterly broken it was, divorcing, and then finally moving on with Jai. Kudos to her for that and she should be applauded especially because of how the film portrays her as very modern and empowered so it would have been an easy route to make audiences sympathize with Dev and Maya by revealing that Rhea and Rishi were cheaters first and thus villainizing them. The film works for me because Rhea and Rishi aren't villainized in order to make us freely root for Dev and Maya. Even those who do root for them recognize how twisted and unfair the situation is for all parties. But in real life, there are people strong like Rhea to not have an affair and there are others who are like Dev and Maya who would succumb for whatever reasons. I can judge them for that but can I condemn them? More specifically, can I condemn them for the rest of their lives for that? 

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 7

I've written a lot of essays on this movie already lol so I'll try to keep this short in my response. What I'll say is that real life is not black and white. It's mostly full of grey people, people who are neither bad or good but can do bad or good things. 

When KANK came out, it caused an epidemic of divorce in Desi couples. People went up to KJo or whoever was involved in this movie and said this movie opened their eyes to their own failing relationship/marriage. What this shows me is that what was portrayed on KANK was not something so unique or so evil that nobody could relate to it. If there was audience rejection from some crowds, it's because they could relate to it but didn't want to admit it. The ones who were brave enough to do so were presumably more free as they thanked this film for saving them from a flagging marriage. How many movies can you say left enough of an impact to cause social change?

You ask why Dev and Maya could not just divorce first before starting a relationship. I agree that in an ideal world, that would have been best. But people do not always make the best decisions, in real life especially, and I would rather see a movie true to life than sugarcoated and watered down just to not make viewers uncomfortable. Art is not always meant to be comfortable. Sometimes it needs to make you squirm a little to broaden your perspective. If portrayal of infidelity in a film, because Dev and Maya were too weak to end their relationships first before starting a new one, helped people learn from their mistakes and end their own relationships without resorting to cheating, I would consider that a win. Better to portray evil or something bad in a film so that real life people can learn from that and not do the same thing.

And while what Dev and Maya did wasn't altogether good, I don't consider it altogether bad either. Yes, it hurt people, but it also gave them the only solace they had after so many years. Between just the two of them, their love was pure, and I've always believed all love is good. They were soulmates and meant to be and it's unfortunate that in the road to discovering each other, they first had to experience trial and error and break other hearts before they could finally be together. There's a reason that SRK's ending lines in the movie mention how they wish they could have found a way to be together on a road that wasn't paved with so much pain for others. As such, I think it's equally as important that Rhea and Rishi find love as well and get their happy endings before Dev and Maya can. As you pointed out, Rhea and Jai (Arjun Rampal's character) clearly were more compatible and Rhea could have done what Dev and Maya did before they did and start her own affair. But she did it the right way, trying to fix her marriage until she realized how utterly broken it was, divorcing, and then finally moving on with Jai. Kudos to her for that and she should be applauded especially because of how the film portrays her as very modern and empowered so it would have been an easy route to make audiences sympathize with Dev and Maya by revealing that Rhea and Rishi were cheaters first and thus villainizing them. The film works for me because Rhea and Rishi aren't villainized in order to make us freely root for Dev and Maya. Even those who do root for them recognize how twisted and unfair the situation is for all parties. But in real life, there are people strong like Rhea to not have an affair and there are others who are like Dev and Maya who would succumb for whatever reasons. I can judge them for that but can I condemn them? More specifically, can I condemn them for the rest of their lives for that? 

I respect your view🙏🏼

Edited by Mages - 1 months ago
sulini76 thumbnail

So to answer your question about why she left Rishi for Dev, besides the fact that this isn't really accurate (she never leaves her husband for Dev. She tries to make it work with Rishi once she and Dev agree to stop meeting and return to their spouses for the sake of their families. Even after both Dev and Maya are dumped, both pretend that isn't the case in order to not break the other's family up), it comes down to the fact that she loves one and not the other. Love is blind. We don't choose who we fall in love with. Maya loved Dev and we can't fault her for that. We can't fault her for not loving Rishi in a romantic way. Can we fault her for having an affair (emotional and physical), yes, but I think it's not as cut and dry as claiming she is an adulteress and should be burnt for her sins and doesn't ever deserve a happy ending.

I disagree with the bolded part. She is an adulteress because she was a married woman that slept with someone else. I don't think she deserved being happy either because she deserved karma for cheating on her husband that mostly treated her well. She showed no remorse either. She was only sorry that she hurt Rishi. I don't think she would've told Rishi about the affair either if his father hadn't died. 

Edited by sulini76 - 1 months ago
Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

I respect your view🙏🏼

And I respect yours - relative to the communication problem.

Interestingly it had been one of the arguments SRK brought in the discussion shows, that both marriages lacked open communication about issues and emotions but instead all the partners expected something from each other and got more and more frustrated.

A key scene is the moment when Rishi's father and Dev's mother tell that they are friends and would talk to each other about their issues/problems/emotions etc. As Dev and Maya don't already realise (in their reasoning) the nature of their strong feelings for each other (after the black beast incident - the hospital scene equally a key scene), they decide to do the same passing time together discussing their issues (marital and personal). Only, their situation isn't comparable with Sam and Dev's mother as both are single, but Dev and Maya aren't.

However, instead of using their friendship to have serious conversations with their respective partner, they give in to a growing love for each other...their mutual healing and new love for life (unfortunately KJo cut some important scenes) don't make them being more open to their married partners but distance them even more. It's especially Dev who has difficulties to deal with the changing in his love for Maya with his wish to make love with Maya (that's why it's like an explosion that rainy day). One of the best sequences is the juxtaposing of the carefree dancing and the guilty pleasure during "Where's the Party tonight".

Karan made sometimes immature moves in a quite mature movie...a lot he did right, but also too much he did in the wrong way ... imo, the 'to and fro' was responsible for most of the issues people had with the movie (and one can read some of the issues here in the comments).

Personally, I love the movie because I can comprehend all the characters, their motivations, their personalities, their flaws and strengths. I may not agree with everything the writer/director made them do nor do I agree to how he handled some situations/developments but I don't get bored to discuss this film and it is one of my favourites SRK-movies.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Can you explain the bolded part? I'm curious why you feel Karan wanted the happy ending specifically.

It's such a pleasure to read some in-depth comments...and yours belong to them smiley1

It's not only about the happy ending but also about Dev's character traits... to put it simply: Karan wanted to shock, to scandalise, and to show other sides of SRK, the actor. 

Basically, it is a good idea. As some stated here, Dev isn't a nice man...after the accident ruined his professional dreams he had only to blame himself but opted for blaming the destiny...and one can't argue with the destiny so he argued in a quite hot-headed way with the people around him becoming bitter and cynical putting himself into a victim-position.

Maya - as an also 'damaged' person - helps him to feel genuinely positive interest into another one and shifting away from his self-centered victim-position (which also has positive effects on his daily life and the people surrounding him). But Dev is a possessive man...and he has to learn that one can't 'possess' another person.

What do you think...did he learn it during the movie?

Edited by Clochette - 1 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: sulini76

I disagree with the bolded part. She is an adulteress because she was a married woman that slept with someone else. I don't think she deserved being happy either because she deserved karma for cheating on her husband that mostly treated her well. She showed no remorse either. She was only sorry that she hurt Rishi. I don't think she would've told Rishi about the affair either if his father hadn't died. 

Most of this I have addressed in several other essays at this point lol so I can't bring myself to repeat myself. The part I do want to address is your last sentence. Had Sam not died, he would not have allowed Maya to keep lying to herself and Rishi. Even on his deathbed, he was telling her it wasn't fair of her to everyone to stay in this marriage. He would have taken her side as much as he can to help peacefully end this marriage.

Sam dying is what prompts Maya to decide she needs to fix the marriage. Even though her heart is not in it, she can't leave Rishi now that he has no other family besides her. She tells the truth in this case because she believes the marriage can't continue without a clean start.

I believe in other scenario she would have ended up confessing but in the version where Sam had lived, she would have confessed to end the marriage. In the version we got where Sam died, her confession was to save the marriage.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

It's such a pleasure to read some in-depth comments...and yours belong to them smiley1

It's not only about the happy ending but also about Dev's character traits... to put it simply: Karan wanted to shock, to scandalise, and to show other sides of SRK, the actor. 

Basically, it is a good idea. As some stated here, Dev isn't a nice man...after the accident ruined his professional dreams he had only to blame himself but opted for blaming the destiny...and one can't argue with the destiny so he argued in a quite hot-headed way with the people around him becoming bitter and cynical putting himself into a victim-position.

Maya - as an also 'damaged' person - helps him to feel genuinely positive interest into another one and shifting away from his self-centered victim-position (which also has positive effects on his daily life and the people surrounding him). But Dev is a possessive man...and he has to learn that one can't 'possess' another person.

What do you think...did he learn it during the movie?

Oh I see. I didn't realize KJo's intentions were just to shock and scandalize and showcase other facets of SRK as an actor. I can see why after 3 films with him as a purely romantic hero, even KJo wanted to try something different now. Same with MNIK. I don't think KJo's intentions are really all that bad then or something to be criticized. A lot of actors or directors like to branch out and try new things. If he wanted to showcase his favorite actor in a different light, then I don't think there is anything wrong with that although SRK seemed to perhaps not like how far KJo went. 

One thing I will say though is that often actors do not like the material they're given or certain portrayals of a character but generally speaking, it's the director's vision that wins out. They're in charge of the movie and it's their say. This is especially true in Hollywood. For SRK, this must feel very alien because he's such a big star and in Bollywood especially, stars of his magnitude have a lot of clout on what they can or cannot do in movies. SRK's own production company meant he was also used to having complete control on his films so I can imagine this would have been a rather tricky situation where he's not used to doing something he doesn't like onscreen which he doesn't feel fits his image. 

Normally I would take SRK's side but in this case I actually do have to side with KJo. I think his instincts were right because no matter how much he tried to sanitize the material or the character, people would have still been upset. Dev could have been made more likable but people still wouldn't forgive him for his actions, as seen by the comments here. In that sense, it works for me to go as hard as possible and not worry about making anyone likable since some audiences will have already made up their mind due to the subject matter. I'm biased because Dev is one of my fav SRK characters and his flaws and negativity actually endeared him to me more so that is a factor, but I'm glad SRK got to play a rather unique character in his repertoire. 

And it should also be noted that even in the prologue of the movie, before his accident, many of his snarky and competitive traits are already apparent. When Rhea confirms that she's gotten the job, Dev makes a rather sarcastic joke about that and her pay vs his but that's taken as a joke because at this point, Dev hasn't lost everything. But it shows that the mentality already existed.

I think those 3 years apart after their respective divorces helped Dev become less possessive. His possessiveness is what instigates the physical affair. The punishment for that is 3 years of utter isolation and guilt. The movie makes several references to this being a punishment or hell for Dev and Maya's actions, as even she repeats at the end that nobody knows but her what she experienced. And Rhea of course suggests that this 3 year period was only the start, and the real punishment will come from living with Dev on a daily basis. He seems way more mellow by the end and we see that his relationship with his son is also better during this period, even if he feels resigned from the fact that Jai has come into Arjun's life now as well as a more stable father figure. So I do think by the end of the movie, he's not nearly as possessive because otherwise, upon seeing Maya at the train station, he wouldn't have hid from her. He thought her marriage was still intact and didn't want to hurt it again so he kept himself hidden. The Dev who couldn't bear the idea of Maya and Rishi in bed together would not have given a damn about that.

I do think KJo's main mistake with KANK was removing those deleted scenes of Dev and Maya learning to better each other. Plus the scene of Rhea coming to Arjun's football game. Those scenes were pivotal for the growth of all and I can see why SRK was annoyed those scenes were removed. Considering how KANK was only 3 hours and K3G was 3.5 hours, those extra scenes would have been welcome. Especially as the ending even brings up the deleted subplot of Maya teaching Dev "sorry, thank you" which now is a rather random statement for Dev to make at the train station when those teaching moment scenes have been removed.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I think the movie wanted to show that marriages that are not based out of love, or that do not have strong foundation of trust/respect...do not last.

The film would've truly "glorified" cheating if Rani's character fell out of love of Abhishek all of sudden. But the fact that they showed Rani's dilemma from the moment she decided to get married, kind of showed that she never loved Rishi and only got married out of obligation.

I find SRK's character most annoying in the film. But he was not a womanizer who objectified women or looked at every woman around him with lust. What happened between Dev and Maya was so much more than just plain "cheating".

Not that I agree with what they did but I was able to understand from where they were coming from. They just didn't love their partners at all or anymore.

I think the film is very complex, and not so Black and White.  Although I agree that romantic songs and love-making scenes between Dev and Maya should've been avoided (and inferred off-screen) Those parts definitely made people uncomfortable.