Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 months ago

Vanga called them "film illiterate" btw, which is true. Indian film criticism still has a long way to go. You can't just be PR-driven or stans of superstars if you're a critique. The likes of Masand and Anupama crave so much West validation, it's kinda pathetic.

e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

After the BO success, he now wants his movie to get the respect. He won’t get it though. It will go down the same lane as Sanju. 

That ‘tyagi girl’? Reminds me of wigKapoor asking Anupama the spelling and pronunciation of Misogyny. Indeed birds of the same feathers flock together.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

But isn’t this what objectivity is all about?  Interviewing a filmmaker as an interviewer and still judging their movie as a critic?  

Being nice and polite during an interview is not a prelude to giving a positive review.  

Wouldn’t you agree tho Masand and Anu sometimes have said over praised ranbir when they shouldn’t have. And now they are overly critical just cause he worked w a different director. So it’s like they want the movies to be made to their whims 

will this drama ever end???

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: 1t1svat1t1s

@bold: do they have the said objectivity though is the real question. Are you sure they critic their friends’ or big stars’ movies the same way they would write off the other movies? I still remember Anupama’s review of befikre. Why befikre, just take the recent Pathaan’s review and how she wasn’t able to find enough words to praise the ‘masterpiece’.

Ohh that’s more than fair.  Both Masand and Anupama, and I’m sure others too, are biased about movies and actors.  Not disputing that at all.  My issues is Vanga somehow thinking it’s a valid argument to say they wanted to interview me but then gave me bad reviews.  🤷🏽‍♀️.  He’s triggered by the negative reviews and he’s lashing out.  

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Wouldn’t you agree tho Masand and Anu sometimes have said over praised ranbir when they shouldn’t have. And now they are overly critical just cause he worked w a different director. So it’s like they want the movies to be made to their whims 

Masand didn’t like Jagga Jasoos either but still praised Ranbir.  He doesn’t do reviews anymore.  As for Anupama, was she critical of Ranbir the actor or the character he played?  

rckRadhe thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 1 Thumbnail + 5

Collections for movies seem to run contrary to the reviews now smiley4

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

There is a fine line between moral policing and expressing one's personal morality. 

For me, both Kabir Singh and Animal offended my moral sensibilities so much that I couldn't understand how anyone who intended to be a 'good person' could enjoy it. The reaction to the content is visceral. Why should I not express myself for fear that someone else takes it as moral policing? 

And why should any Tom, Dick, or Harry on the internet even care if I am morally judging them?  

If people are comfortable with the content they enjoy, then they should continue enjoying that content, critics and opinions be damned. 

If people feel morally judged about the content they enjoy, then they should ask themselves why the opinion of others is preventing them from enjoying content carefree.

If people place value on the opinion of the person who is morally judging them, then they should engage in a conversation to see if their differences can be bridged. 

My completely unqualified armchair psychologist pulled out of my ass perception is that people get riled up over the moral criticisms of movies like Animal is because, deep down, they know the moral criticism is valid and are struggling big time with their cognitive dissonance. 

Yeh ..no…again don’t need the random psycho reverse analysis of “oh u just know deep down ur wrong that’s why ur so defensive”😂…cute attempt tho…

ppl don’t give a shit abt moral judgement. They just want the freedom to like or dislike what they want so that filmmakers can make what they want without constant “is this politically correct” censoring being shoved down everyone’s throats …

Ppl get riled up over moral critisms because like Arshad warsi said it in a Roundtable, they can very well like watching something that they will not actually ever want to do themselves …even if it dosent agree with their values or morality ….because watching a film is watching a story play out on screen…bad guys can win …good guys can lose that isn’t an encouragement for ppl to be bad …ppl don’t watch films with the same lens as u….and that is ok…

And like Manoj bajpai said , This sorta virtue signalling means that tomorrow any Tom Dick and Harry can claim Offence to an orange bikini or a midriff offending his religious sensibilities,

or lipstick under my burkha offending his sensibilities coz it shows an old woman catfishing a young man for phone sex,  in a sympathetic light .. 

Or veere di wedding offending their sensibilities coz it shows women smoking cigarettes…

Or a straight guy can claim offence to MIH coz the explicit scenes offended his sensibilities…

…..and actors and filmmakers and society will be held accountable for that and expected to tailor their scripts as if they were all made in a factory…

Imposed political correctness  is also “hurting sensibilities” of those who just want to watch and make films free of this burden ….if they defend themselves it’s the same reason u do it…not because it’s a denial of their wavering moral compass 

Edited by pathaka - 5 months ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: pathaka

Yeh ..no…again don’t need the random psycho reverse analysis of “oh u just know deep down ur wrong that’s why ur so defensive”😂…cute attempt tho…

ppl don’t give a shit abt moral judgement. They just want the freedom to like or dislike what they want so that filmmakers can make what they want without constant “is this politically correct” censoring being shoved down everyone’s throats …

Ppl get riled up over moral critisms because like Arshad warsi said it in a Roundtable, they can very well like watching something that they will not actually ever want to do themselves …even if it dosent agree with their values or morality ….because watching a film is watching a story play out on screen…bad guys can win …good guys can lose that isn’t an encouragement for ppl to be bad …ppl don’t watch films with the same lens as u….and that is ok…

And like Manoj bajpai said , This sorta virtue signalling means that tomorrow any Tom Dick and Harry can claim Offence to an orange bikini or a midriff offending his religious sensibilities,

or lipstick under my burkha offending his sensibilities coz it shows an old woman catfishing a young man for phone sex,  in a sympathetic light .. 

Or veere di wedding offending their sensibilities coz it shows women smoking cigarettes…

Or a straight guy can claim offence to MIH coz the explicit scenes offended his sensibilities…

…..and actors and filmmakers and society will be held accountable for that and expected to tailor their scripts as if they were all made in a factory…

Imposed political correctness  is also “hurting sensibilities” of those who just want to watch and make films free of this burden ….if they defend themselves it’s the same reason u do it…not because it’s a denial of their wavering moral compass 

Perhaps you can explain better why folks are getting riled up? 

Speaking for myself

- I have never advocated for censorship and will always fight against censorship of any kind

- I do not believe in restricting anyone's right to choose, and I will always defend people's right to choose

I am merely expressing why I find something morally objectionable. What is wrong with me or anyone else sharing their opinions on what they find problematic about Animal? 

For me, questions like is this politically correct, is this morally appropriate, and what impact does this have on society is an invitation to a constructive discussion on how we view cinema in a cultural context. 

People have every right to get offended with an orange bikini, or phone sex, or women smoking and drinking, or depiction of homosexuality. And I have a right to disagree with them. I take that as an opportunity to have a debate on ethics, morality, and the cultural dissection of cinema. Of course, the younger me on this forum would have been riled up with the perceived judgment. And sometimes, I still do get carried away. 

But the point is that I have the willingness to defend my moral choices and engage in moral discussion. And I am able to step away if the discussion isn't constructive. The only place I draw the line is if anyone calls for censorship - because, as I said, I am against censorship of any kind. 

So the question is - when I say the movie animal is morally reprehensible and I question the morals of people who enjoy it - why should it bother anyone? Why is there this unwillingness to engage with the morality of it all?

Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

smiley36first and only time I agree with Vanga, busting these agenda dhari bots