Karan Johar shreds theatre chains for inflated food & beverage prices

av131 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 24 days ago

Filmmakers Karan Johar and Zoya Akhtar spoke about the high costs attached to watching films dissuading audiences from making a trip to the theatres. Karan said that according to surveys that he is privy to, an average consumer has reduced theatrical outings to twice a year, because they would rather spend their time and money in a restaurant instead of paying for overpriced snacks while watching a movie. “Food costs are crazy,” Zoya said. Both filmmakers participated in a roundtable interview hosted by The Hollywood Reporter India.

Zoya said, “People can’t afford to go to the cinema. They want to go to the cinema. If you’re going to go twice, you’re going to choose what films you want to go to. Even if I want to go see Laapataa Ladies, maybe I can’t afford to.” Karan shared some insights that he learned, and said, “They went to 100 homes, and out of those 100 homes, 90 said they will watch only two films a year (in theatres).”

He continued, “This is of an income group that is a massive part of our audience base. They can’t afford it. They maybe come out on Diwali, or if they hear about a film like Stree 2… Family members said that they don’t like to go to cinema halls, because when kids say that they want popcorn or something to eat, they feel bad denying them, so they would rather go to a restaurant, where they’re not paying for the ticket, they’re paying only for the food. They said, ‘Our child will point and say he wants caramel popcorn, but we can’t afford it’. Because the average cost for a family of four can be Rs 10,000. And maybe those Rs 10,000 are not in their economic planning at all.

In a past interview with The Indian Express, PVR-INOX chief Ajay Bijli addressed the issue of high ticket and F&B prices at his cinemas. He said, “I’m a business, I also need to get an return on investment. If you put a Rs 8 crore projector, then you need to get your revenues in line to get that ROI, which will satisfy any investment decision you make.” In another interview, he blamed lacklustre films for not driving enough revenue, and rejected the idea that the cost of watching films had anything to do with declining box office returns. He told Film Companion, “They aren’t attracted only to price. They’re saying, ‘In my three hours, also give me something engaging’. Pricing isn’t the only thing that moves the needle.”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surly_Devil thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Another man who needs to zip it smiley24

SakZ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Why? Care to explain?
Haila_tu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Both the parties blaming each other but the real reason is something else all together. People just enjoy watching content at home more. Screen sizes are huge, couches are comfier than even the best cinema recliners and you can watch a film in parts or move onto the next one if it's trash. Along with that tons of free content which is superior. Ain't nobody got half a day to spend making a trip to the cinemas, rather just wait a couple of weeks.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

They should come up with n u m b e r s...tell the prices you talk about...otherwise it's wishy-washy...

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 23 days ago

"Because the average cost for a family of four can be Rs 10,000. And maybe those Rs 10,000 are not in their economic planning at all."

Is that true? A trip to a movie theater with family costs Rs 10,000?

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: TotalBetty

"Because the average cost for a family of four can be Rs 10,000. And maybe those Rs 10,000 are not in their economic planning at all."

Is that true? A trip to a movie theater with family costs Rs 10,000?

May be he is talking about salman khan’s family smiley36

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Theatres situation at Malls .. movie ticket prices are high + parking charges by the hour + high price snacks. Depends on the movie and seats + timings too.

Round about rs1800-2000 for two ppl tickets with parking is surely spent even if ticket prices are lowest without snacks at theatres at mall like pvr, inox etc.

Only selected movies at Pvr etc. Otherwise prefer single screen theatres. Very reasonable ticket prices, snacks and parking.

Sometimes lack of screening at single screens and want to watch movie then can go to pvr but with lowest price time.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

One has to come with factual numbers to compare, not just with accusations, I think.

Edited by Clochette - 23 days ago