Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 4 months ago

Unless he is making something like kkhh or k3g please don't

TigersGirl thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

So when is Tiger's film by Dharma being announced? Who do I need to blow to keep this movie going.... smiley17

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

My goodness, if this film really was supposed to feature Tiger as lead, then I'm glad Dharma is going bankrupt. KJo wants to direct more pictures and he decides to have Tiger, a complete non-actor, star in it!

Dharma deserves its destruction for this alone. If he thought Rocky aur Rani underperformed in India, I almost wish he would still make this movie just so we can see what a disaster this would be. Another SOTY2 I have no doubt.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

With all the comments on sm more than 3 months ago, he may n o w decide about a movie (after tentatively making media throw some names around).

Rocky aur Rani really had the Karan touch of his early movies (if he only had directed Alia in another way...or cast another actress).

SOTY wasn't such a bad movie and he made three good short movies but then he messed with ADHM - not because of casting Ranbir but of the self-indulging to his changing personality (it was at the same time when he wrote/published his autobiographical book).

Edit: Did anyone read the second book - published in 2020 - The Big Thoughts of Little Luv?

Edited by Clochette - 1 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

With all the comments on sm more than 3 months ago, he may n o w decide about a movie (after tentatively making media throw some names around).

Rocky aur Rani really had the Karan touch of his early movies (if he only had directed Alia in another way...or cast another actress).

SOTY wasn't such a bad movie and he made three good short movies but then he messed with ADHM - not because of casting Ranbir but of the self-indulging to his changing personality (it was at the same time when he wrote/published his autobiographical book).

Edit: Did anyone read the second book - published in 2020 - The Big Thoughts of Little Luv?

Rocky aur Rani felt closer to his original works than ADHM did. I think especially because of Jaya's inclusion and the family angle. Would have been very interesting if Karan could have pulled a Yash Chopra and cast Amitabh and Rekha instead of Dharmendra and Shabana. But I know Karan has always been very close to Jaya which is why, although she acts sporadically, she does make a point to do his films. He revealed that even for K3G, he only intended to cast Jaya and not Amitabh. It was Jaya who requested that Karan also cast Amitabh in the role. Also how when he cast her for KHNH, he thought she would refuse because she wouldn't wear jeans and western clothing as Jenny, but she was more than happy to dress for the part.

I also believe Alia was miscast. Which is ironic since KJo said he wrote these parts for Alia and Ranveer but where Ranveer slipped into the role perfectly, to me this role was more written for how Karan believes the audience should perceive Alia rather than how she truly is. She did not make an authentic Bengali. A young Kajol, Rani, or Preity could have aced this role. I personally feel KJo should have cast Deepika instead. Have been dying to see Deepika and Ranveer in a contemporary romantic comedy, and Deepika had more starpower, romantic chemistry with Ranveer, acting chops, and the physicality to carry off the sarees and not let them overpower her. After her collabs with Amitabh, would have loved to have seen Deepika act with Jaya.

I've seen SOTY once. It was rather frivolous, more like a movie he would produce in later years than direct. A decent launch for the three main actors, mainly the guys, but nothing extraordinary especially after each of his previous films. To go from My Name is Khan to SOTY is really a step down. This was really the time when KJo was determined to prove he could have a career without SRK and thus backtracked on his promise to never make a movie without him and it shows.

ADHM was a mistake from the beginning, starting with KJo treating it like an autobiographical story for himself. I do think Ranbir's casting fit the character but the character was a mistake in the first place, which is why I'd prefer Ranbir not have the role because I wouldn't want the role to exist in the first place. I wouldn't want to see SRK in this role because it was too unflattering, which is why in my previous post, I said I'd have just focused on the SRK/Aish storyline or Anushka/Fawad. ADHM was also his first movie without a Kajol cameo, considering their real life feud at the time. In fact, I'm curious if KJo ever considered casting Kajol as Saba instead.

I've never read either of his books but I read lots of snippets from the first one online, especially the parts detailing his fight with Kajol.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Again, I like your thoughts very much and eagerly agree smiley27

Until today, I still don't come to terms with Karan being so insensitive towards SRK to offer him the role of the dean in SOTY (enacted by Rishi then).

I also got the feeling that SOTY had been like a (childish) act of defiance...SRK openly did not like the long climax scene in MNIK and told Karan that it will damage the movie...and bingo, it did...like a critic wrote: "He [Karan] sets it all up beautifully, ...but loses his conviction towards the end by drumming up a forced climax. In trying to make Rizwan Khan more heroic than he already is ... the smooth arc of the film is derailed."

Afterthought: It was the second time (after KANK) that SRK openly didn't agree to the way Karan had shaped a movie.

Edited by Clochette - 1 months ago
Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Karan needs to direct srk again and this time fresh pairing with urmila or Tabu would be amazing. Preity is looking good these days, maybe cast him opposite her.

Edited by Terenaina - 1 months ago
Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

SOTY ruined KJO's reputation as a director.......otherwise he is a good director.....no one can direct...SRK-Kajol like KJO.....Dilwale would have been a different story had KJo directed it...smiley36

Seems like KJo exhausted his creative juices by the time KANK came around, which is why he made MNIK to prove that he could make a "thoughtful" movie too. MNIK didn't receive the critical acclaim he was hoping for. So, he switched to a movie (SOTY) that he thought would be "hip" and *cool". And since then, he's still searching for his Gen Z version of KKHH (Soty), K3G (Rocky), and KANK (ADHM).

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Again, I like your thoughts very much and eagerly agree smiley27

Until today, I still don't come to terms with Karan being so insensitive towards SRK to offer him the role of the dean in SOTY (enacted by Rishi then).

I also got the feeling that SOTY had been like a (childish) act of defiance...SRK openly did not like the long climax scene in MNIK and told Karan that it will damage the movie...and bingo, it did...like a critic wrote: "He [Karan] sets it all up beautifully, ...but loses his conviction towards the end by drumming up a forced climax. In trying to make Rizwan Khan more heroic than he already is ... the smooth arc of the film is derailed."

Afterthought: It was the second time (after KANK) that SRK openly didn't agree to the way Karan had shaped a movie.

Do you think KJo's intentions were spiteful? SOTY really doesn't have any major roles for adult male characters outside of Rishi Kapoor. Maybe Varun's father but that was rather limited in screentime and also quite villainous. If KJo wanted SRK in all his films, including even a cameo here like he usually gives to Kajol when she's not playing a lead, then the Rishi Kapoor character was really the only one suitable. Although I don't think SRK could afford to play a gay character in that time or even now, so he was never going to be able to accept it anyway.

It's been such a long time since I've seen MNIK that I really don't remember the climax or pacing issues. It's a good film but one that is very emotionally involving and hard to digest over and over, so I find it less repeatable than Karan's more filmi movies with SRK.

I know you said SRK had issues with KANK and MNIK. Also that Kajol had issues with MNIK's second half where she felt she didn't have enough presence. I know that's a big deal for Kajol since she turned down 3 Idiots during that era as the female lead's role wasn't strong enough for her taste (which was obvious to anyone since Aamir stopped giving his female co-stars meaningful roles ages ago).

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Terenaina

Karan needs to direct srk again and this time fresh pairing with urmila or Tabu would be amazing. Preity is looking good these days, maybe cast him opposite her.

Yes, I agree although I think KJo has lost his magic now. Not sure it would be the same if he made a movie with SRK now but would love to see him with any of the pairings you mentioned.

Urmila especially because Chamatkar was one of the first movies both she and SRK ever did, so neither was a big star then. Always felt they should have had at least one movie set during the time when both were established stars. Dil To Pagal Hai came closest to featuring the both of them since Urmila quit after one day of filming.

Originally posted by: Filmistan

Seems like KJo exhausted his creative juices by the time KANK came around, which is why he made MNIK to prove that he could make a "thoughtful" movie too. MNIK didn't receive the critical acclaim he was hoping for. So, he switched to a movie (SOTY) that he thought would be "hip" and *cool". And since then, he's still searching for his Gen Z version of KKHH (Soty), K3G (Rocky), and KANK (ADHM).

Really, why do you say that? I remember it came out very critically acclaimed especially since it got much exposure in the west and even Oscar buzz for a while. Even at Filmfare, it won 3/4 of the big awards, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Actress, only losing out on Best Film. Not to mention that financially it was the highest grossing Indian movie overseas, breaking KANK's record.

Interesting idea that his new movies are essentially remakes of his older ones. I think Rocky aur Rani also takes elements from KANK with the adultery storyline of the older generation.

Edited by RaniPreityAish - 1 months ago