Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 months ago

Originally posted by: sidnilove

Chamkila was shown as flawed. His intentions behind marrying Amarjot were mentioned - he didn't want the Jodi to break. It was about money and popularity. He was a bigamist. And they showed him giving money to his first wife who had a little kid on her shoulder. He was an opportunist.

He wasn't whitewashed.

The main point of the movie was to show the double standards of people. How they used to diss Chamkila openly and enjoy his songs behind closed doors. It was about showing the systematic targeting of a singer who came from a lower caste and had the audacity to grow so big in the music world.

That was his biggest mistake, maybe

Maharani69 thumbnail
Engager 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6

It wasn't about his personal life. Regardless, they did show how he devalued his marriage by gifting his first wife a literal cow as a bargain.
Can I rant about the movie tho? Dilijit was the best part. Ugh, but Bollywood shouldn't attempt biopics. It's always the same B/W montages, flashbacks, and needless spoon-feeding with convenient treatment. Imti's direction was boring, tedious, & flat. If he knew about the abuse yet romanticized Chamkila's r-ship with singing & Amarjot, then it's an absolute shame.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: TotalBetty

That was his biggest mistake, maybe

How can we be sure? I don't like to make accusations without concrete evidence. But why did he have a habit of ripping her clothes? I have worked for organizations that help south Asian women dealing with abuse abroad. Very rarely are their clothes torn unless their abuser is also doing something else. And from what the sister describes that was also a regular occurrence. Amarjot used to save all her torn kurtis to show his sister. Then his sister would swear at him saying are you not ashamed of yourself?

rckRadhe thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Participants 0 Thumbnail ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail + 8

A good number of musicians all over the world are highly flawed. We try to hold on to the good memories they brought to us.

Edited by rckRadhe - 6 months ago
Posted: 5 months ago

The laughing part made it seem like it’s something normal but it’s not it’s disturbing.😳 and I would not like my culture depicted this way.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

How can we be sure? I don't like to make accusations without concrete evidence. But why did he have a habit of ripping her clothes? I have worked for organizations that help south Asian women dealing with abuse abroad. Very rarely are their clothes torn unless their abuser is also doing something else. And from what the sister describes that was also a regular occurrence. Amarjot used to save all her torn kurtis to show his sister. Then his sister would swear at him saying are you not ashamed of yourself?

That's really sad, creepy. Haven't watched the movie, don't know much about him, just read about him after the movie came out

(But they haven't whitewashed his story according to comments here)

Felt what he accomplished within such short period considering his background is amazing and that's what makes his ending very tragic too

They haven't catched his killer & don't know the motive, made me think jealousy might be the reason

DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

People going on about caste caste caste.. Punjab has always celebrated SC/BC artists, Chamkila wasn't the only one; Manak (who was even bigger than C), Mohammed Sadiq, Shinda etc...

I do think they didn't show the complete truth.. not intentionally, but because they wanted to keep the film short and focus more on the hypocrisy of audience.

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

May talented ppl are very bad humans

I once read about Gulzar and was shocked he beat is wife Rakhi and jealous of her working after marraige

Indeed he slapped her in kashmir in front of movie crew etc

And these ppl write such beautiful inspiring lyrics in movies or stories like kinara, kushboo, bandini

While in real life they are like khap pancahyat villagers thinking towards wives and daughters

Kishore Kumar was another i read he married madhubala to get foothold in bollywood and abandoned her as soon as her heart disease issue came out with her sisters

Kishore was alredy married with a son when he married madhubala again without divorcing first wife

Udit narayan ahs another wife in nepal too

Like this many singsers/lyricist, song writers are not at all good in real life

We may not enjoy their songs or work after reading personal life of many ppl

Edited by myviewprem - 5 months ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: TotalBetty

That's really sad, creepy. Haven't watched the movie, don't know much about him, just read about him after the movie came out

(But they haven't whitewashed his story according to comments here)

Felt what he accomplished within such short period considering his background is amazing and that's what makes his ending very tragic too

They haven't catched his killer & don't know the motive, made me think jealousy might be the reason

Most of the articles point to the possibility that the killers thought his songs brought disgrace to the society.
https://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment/originals/why-amar-singh-chamkila-was-killed-immoral-lyrics-professional-rivalry-militancy-period-khalistani-leaders-632081.html

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/media/entertainment/amar-singh-chamkila-a-wannabe-electrician-who-was-allegedly-shot-dead-by-khalistani-militants/articleshow/109472188.cms

Basskarrr thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sidnilove

He wasn't whitewashed.

The main point of the movie was to show the double standards of people.

The first post of this page says “I thought it was a cute love story”.. his bigamy was also shown in jest. Well most people will take away that they were happily married etc but if that is not the case, it is wrong depiction