Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: atominis

It was not to look to complement Rishi Kapoor but to look like the pregnant woman she played in Prem Granth.

She was mother to a baby in Prem Granth. So it is only authentic if she gained weight or looked that part.

I guess people find Madhuri overweight in DTPH because of contrast with Karisma who was naturally skinny and is still too skinny, gaunt for her age.

Having said that, Indian audience generally liked heroines to have some flesh on the bones and admired voluptuous bodies which is why well endowed actresses became successful earlier.

The fad for size zero or flat, washboard abs, chiselled faces in heroines came much later around late 2000s.

In 80s and 90s, someone like Sonakshi would not be considered fat or overweight either.

It is unfair to judge actresses of past based on standards we have now.

yeah, madhuri when she started was told she was too skinny and was told to put on weight

1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nonam

this nightie outfit was horrible, anyone would look horrible in it.

when I first saw dtph, I felt manish malhotra had a plan to make madhuri look bad, so that karisma would shine. how ugly and ill fitting were some of her outfits. sridevi was never svelte but she never had such ill outfits from manish malhotra. every outfit of Madhuri's in dtph was 2 sizes too small and so much of a drab brown shade

Lol maybe that's true, Karishma did overshadow Madhuri in some parts of the movie (see when they dance together for an example) and Madhuri in some scenes just looked off like in this song. Karishma overall shined more

642126 thumbnail

Why do you not choose title song of KKHH or any song of Ghulam or even portions of Tujhe yaad na meri aayi instead of Koi Mil gaya?

Koi mil gaya song specifically had all make up done to make Rani look hotter.

Even Kajol is looking younger in it.

In title song of KKHH and portions of Tujhe yaad na meri aayi with SRK and Rani, she looks much younger and visibly naive/awkward when SRK kisses her on the cheek.

She herself admitted she was shy when Khans did romantic scenes with her when she started out in Ghulam and KKHH.

She obviously matured by the time she did Chalte Chalte, The Rising or Talaash but she is visibly young and naive/awkward in 1998-1999 films with Khans and Deols.

And, sorry to disagree but I found SRK better with Manisha than with Preity in Dil Se.

Rani also looked too young to play wife or mom in Chori Chori Chupke Chupke with Salman. The age gap is visible witn Salman and Arbaaz in Hello Brother also. One can see wrinkles of Saif in Hum Tum as well.

642126 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Journey95

Lol maybe that's true, Karishma did overshadow Madhuri in some parts of the movie (see when they dance together for an example) and Madhuri in some scenes just looked off like in this song. Karishma overall shined more

That is because Karishma was at her peak after her hit spree in 1996, makeover from Manish Malhotra, slimmer and younger, fitter than Madhuri.

Anyday a younger, fitter actor who recently got a makeover would look better especially in the dance off scene, where Karishma does overshadow Madhuri entirely and Madhuri looks like she is catching up.

Karishma has always been skinny, naturally fit.

But actresses begin to be labeled old after 28 because I feel you'd have found Lolo 'older' looking in Shakti the Power or Ek Rishta the Bond of Love, which released in 2001-2002.

1159628 thumbnail

Why do you not choose title song of KKHH or any song of Ghulam or even portions of Tujhe yaad na meri aayi instead of Koi Mil gaya?

Koi mil gaya song specifically had all make up done to make Rani look hotter.

Even Kajol is looking younger in it.

In title song of KKHH and portions of Tujhe yaad na meri aayi with SRK and Rani, she looks much younger and visibly naive/awkward when SRK kisses her on the cheek.

She herself admitted she was shy when Khans did romantic scenes with her when she started out in Ghulam and KKHH.

She obviously matured by the time she did Chalte Chalte, The Rising or Talaash but she is visibly young and naive/awkward in 1998-1999 films with Khans and Deols.

And, sorry to disagree but I found SRK better with Manisha than with Preity in Dil Se.

Rani also looked too young to play wife or mom in Chori Chori Chupke Chupke with Salman. The age gap is visible witn Salman and Arbaaz in Hello Brother also. One can see wrinkles of Saif in Hum Tum as well.

Just watched the title song and both SRK and Rani look great together so I still can't agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9DsCP9Th7Y

Also SRK with Manisha in Dil Se was just creepy (mostly because of the writing but still), zero chemistry. He was ok with Preity but their chemistry only became great with KHNH.

harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Please see the difference. Khans and Akki began to be called 'old' looking only in their 50s. While you are judging Madhuri when she was not even 30. Is the sexist bias and discrepancy not evident here?

Why Madhuri is called older for someone closer to her age? Why judge her for films she did when she was not even 30?

It is not Madhuri who was old looking. It is Khans who may have been baby faced in 90s and began to look like mature men only by mid 2000s.

It's funny how visibly older and flabby Aamir with deep wrinkles on his face was not called older in Fanaa but Madhuri becomes old looking in Dil or HAHK itself?

One can see SRK's wrinkles in OSO but he is not older for Deepika?

Why actress has to be childlike or look like she graduated from high school last year?

The judging of looks of actresses and calling them old in their youth itself is root cause of bias in this so called glamour industry.

Man your taking this too personally, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think women look younger in their 20s but madhuri looked closer to 30 over in her younger days which even I used to feel but she looked amazing with sanjay dutt and anil kapoor and looked good with govinda in the 80s.

642126 thumbnail

I am only concerned about this ageism.

I mean Bollywood is ridiculous with its casting. Now I can see why industry is the way it is and why Hema Malini was cast as Rishi Kapoor's mom in Vijay though she is just 4 years older than him or why poor Nirupa Roy had to play mom to Dev Anand despite being 10 years younger than him.

Or why Aamir declined to work with Sridevi as he thought she would look older.

Imagine calling a woman 'old' looking even when she is under 30.

The ageism is screaming in this thread.

Atleast if someone had said Madhuri looked older in Devdas it made sense. But calling her older in Dil or HAHK and Anjaam itself is a stretch.

harun98 thumbnail

Hema Malini as beautiful as she was aged quickly also, i think most of the actors and actresses aged quicker compared to now, maybe because the medical advancement was less advanced compared to today, because same khans and akki and ajay look in their late 30s than 50s whilst bigB, Vinod Khan, Mithun da, for example looked in their 50s at 40 years than 40s, BigB looked in his 60s during late 80s and early 90s, how times change.

Jaya Prada was the most aged looking in her 20s compared to any other actresses and looked awful in western clothes or western dance and just didn't have longevity compared to sridevi, she just didn't look right with her pairing with younger heroes who were the same age of 1 year or 2 years older than her. Govinda and her were the same age and had more chemistry as bhabi dewar than a lover.

Edited by harun98 - 2 years ago
harun98 thumbnail

Or why Aamir declined to work with Sridevi as he thought she would look older.

I think aamir would of looked suitable had he worked with younger sridevi who was babyfaced as by 90s she matured.

642126 thumbnail

You are entitled to your opinion.

SRK and Manisha are bound to be unconventional couple because she was a militant and survivor of rape in that film. A traumatised character. She cannot be compared to Preity's chirpy character in the film.

They looked good in Guddu which they did earlier.

I am not a fan of so called chemistry with teen girls just starting out in industry and obviously awkward or naive in kissing or intimate scenes. I maintain SRK looked better with Kajol in KKHH and Rani looked too young.

For that matter Rani is quite young and awkward in Ghulam songs with Aamir and Badal songs with Bobby Deol who looked worse with her as he was too tall as well and towered over her.

And she nowhere looked like a mom or bahu in CCCC. A miscast for such a role.

She looked immature in Kahin Pyar na ho jaye and likes of Pooja Batra were looking better with Salman than her in that film.

Thanks to ageism, people will find Raveena good looking with Salman in Patthar ke Phool but 'older' than him in Kahin Pyar na ho jaye. Just as they probably find Karishma fine in DTPH but older in Shakti the Power while SRK looks good no matter what age or era.

Carry on.

But audience lapped up 'old' Madhuri with Khans and her films with them except Anjaam and Deewana mujhsa nahi, Dil tera Aashiq are all hits. Good success for an 'old' actress who looked 'old' in her 20s itself. 🤣