Posted: 2 years ago
nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

aah I miss the 90's bollywood

what movies and how versatile were madhuri and sridevi and even the Juhi's Karisma's , raveena etc

642126 thumbnail

Dil is highest grossing film of 1990 tied with Ghayal. Though it is a problematic film but audience did like the leads or else film would not become such a big success.

Aamir was such a baby face and short frame that every heroine except Juhi and Neelam, looked 'mature' compared to him back in early 90s films. He himself knew his limitations which is why he refused to work with Sridevi and never worked with Madhuri after Dil and Deewana Mujhsa Nahi. He generally worked with debutantes or newer girls afterwards.

Talking of looking old, even Meenakshi Seshashri, Farha, Mamta Kulkarni can be said to have looked 'older' than him in films or special appearances he did with them.

Can't blame the actress for looking 'old' if actor is short or baby faced. That's the latter's 'shortcoming' not the actress'.

Though I do not see it as a problem if heroine looks older or hero looks younger. This forum is sexist and repeats same old biases against taller actresses or actresses who look mature and do not look so called innocent, petite, cutesy or childlike, vulnerable enough.

Anyday, Madhuri looked better with Khans than those uncles like Jeetendra, Vinod Khanna, she earlier had to work with.

1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

Please see the difference. Khans and Akki began to be called 'old' looking only in their 50s. While you are judging Madhuri when she was not even 30. Is the sexist bias and discrepancy not evident here?

Why Madhuri is called older for someone closer to her age? Why judge her for films she did when she was not even 30?

It is not Madhuri who was old looking. It is Khans who may have been baby faced in 90s and began to look like mature men only by mid 2000s.

It's funny how visibly older and flabby Aamir with deep wrinkles on his face was not called older in Fanaa but Madhuri becomes old looking in Dil or HAHK itself?

One can see SRK's wrinkles in OSO but he is not older for Deepika?

Why actress has to be childlike or look like she graduated from high school last year?

The judging of looks of actresses and calling them old in their youth itself is root cause of bias in this so called glamour industry.

Not really judging her, like I said I still enjoy those movies and I'm glad they were made with her (she is an amazing actress). But I still think she looked too old for the Khans because of her more mature look + the Khans being kind of baby faced.

Its not like Aish or Rani were were "childlike" in their late 90s-early 2000s movies so that's not a requirement at all.

1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nonam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWAFDRAoLQ

here she is not as skinny as salman but more than madhuri, salman is so awkwardly skinny, he should have bulked up a little

I think we think madhuri looks older is at that time there were no fillers so you saw wrinkles, and the actress loosing and gaining weight makes you have more wrinkles. and before dtph madhuri had to gain weight to look better with fatter rishi Kapoor in prem Granth and then lose weight for dtph.

Exactly. In DTPH she gave a good performance but SRK/Karishma looked better together tbh and the latter was even better at the dancing part and just looked fitter. Didn't know that she did a movie with Rishi Kapoor before that, explains a lot. That dude already looked old as hell in deewaana lol

And yeah Salman looked too skinny in Dil tera ashiq and HAHK.

642126 thumbnail

Rani was bubbly and far too young, petite when she debuted and worked with Khans. She was 19 or 20 when she first worked with Khans.

I agree Ash was not childlike but she was younger as well.

I just find it unfair to call Madhuri 'older' looking when she was not even 30 yet.

It is too harsh to judge actresses like that. It does reek of ageism.

Edited by atominis - 2 years ago
1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nonam

aah I miss the 90's bollywood

what movies and how versatile were madhuri and sridevi and even the Juhi's Karisma's , raveena etc

I prefer 90s-early 2000s Bollywood over current Bollywood easily

1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

Rani was bubbly and far too young, petite when she debuted and worked with Khans. She was 19 or 20 when she first worked with Khans.

I agree Ash was not childlike but she was younger as well.

I just find it unfair to call Madhuri 'older' looking when she was not even 30 yet.

It is too harsh to judge actresses like that. It does reek of ageism.

Its all about how you look not necessarily age, Rani was rather young back then but looked mature enough so those pairings worked very well (see SRK/Rani in KKHH).