Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

642126 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Jayaprada looked odd because she aged herself onscreen working with older lot like Jeetendra, Amitabh, Dharmendra and did too many bhabhi aur badi bahu roles in same old sarees and 10 kg sindoor on head.

Unlike Sridevi who often wore modern clothes and more modern make up, did not work with mainly oldies and did not waste herself in bhabhi, mom or step mom, bahu roles.

1159628 thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

I simply hate this ageism directed at actresses who begin to get targeted even they are not 30 yet.

I remember reading earlier also that Madhuri looked older than Aamir in Dil, Salman in HAHK, SRK in Anjaam, DTPH, HTHS, Devdas.

Why?

I thought actors MD worked with earlier such as Jeetendra, Mithun, Vinod looked like uncles. I rather used to feel pity for Sridevi and Madhuri when I saw them with uncle Jeetendra or Vinod Khanna who were way older than them.

Somehow actor never looks old eh? Only actress is deemed old.

It is not Madhuri who looked older than Khans. It is some insecure Khan fans who cannot digest Madhuri had overpowering charisma, was a more accomplished performer when Khans were raw and new and found it hard to catch up with her. Khans were baby faced in 90s, not actress' fault if Khans looked like kiddos in front of them then.

IDK why an actress always has to look cutesy or innocent or childlike like young Juhi or Divya to look acceptable with a male actor.

When mindset of audience is like this then no wonder industry is also like this.

Why an actress has to look like she has recently come out of high school?

I think this mentality is the reason why poor Nirupa Roy was cast as Dev Anand's mother despite being 10 years younger than him!

It is unfair to compare Madhuri's looks to Ash or Karishma in late 90s or early 2000s as she was older than them and conventionally Madhuri has never been skinny. She had a normal weight and pimples visible on her face. Unlike others who did a dozen things to look slimmer or flaunt a seemingly flawless skin. It is not fair to call her flabby just because she did not have slimmer figure like Sonali, Shilpa or Ash or Lolo. She was an old school actress with normal weight. Till 80s no one had slim figure or size zero figure or perfect make up or perfect skin. The fitness and make up norms changed for actors later from 90s as lot of models entered industry.

PS - why does this topic come up every few years in this forum and elsewhere?

I get your point but I do think that actors looking too old is also a problem. I'm not a fan of the SRK/Anushka or Salman/Anushka (or worse Disha) pairings because of that. Those are obviously way worse than Madhuri was with the Khans.

The best actresses for the Khans were Juhi, Rani, Kajol, Aish etc. with that gen the chemistry was great and no one looked too old. Its not just about age, Juhi was as old as Madhuri, its about having a more mature look.

Madhuri looked the best with Anil Kapoor, Jackie Shroff and Sanjay Dutt (with Vinod Khanna & co. she looked awful)

642126 thumbnail

Please see the difference. Khans and Akki began to be called 'old' looking only in their 50s. While you are judging Madhuri when she was not even 30. Is the sexist bias and discrepancy not evident here?

Why Madhuri is called older for someone closer to her age? Why judge her for films she did when she was not even 30?

It is not Madhuri who was old looking. It is Khans who may have been baby faced in 90s and began to look like mature men only by mid 2000s.

It's funny how visibly older and flabby Aamir with deep wrinkles on his face was not called older in Fanaa but Madhuri becomes old looking in Dil or HAHK itself?

One can see SRK's wrinkles in OSO but he is not older for Deepika?

Why actress has to be childlike or look like she graduated from high school last year?

The judging of looks of actresses and calling them old in their youth itself is root cause of bias in this so called glamour industry.

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Festival

Madhuri was a much bigger star than Aamir at the time of Dil

Madhuri was a much bigger star than Salman at the time of HAHK

SRK was a much bigger star than Madhuri at the time of DTPH

I love SRK and Madhuri together in Dil Toh Pagal Hai.

yeah madhuri was always the bigger the star than the khan during their [makhan (madhuri-khan) movie]

dil madhuri was bigger but aamir and madhuri looked so beautiful together and what chemistry during neend na aaye and humne ghar chodha hain, I was always waiting for another big movie with them, a shame nothing came after that time other than the deewana mujhsa.....

saajan, madhuri was bigger but again what chemistry between salman and madhuri, and then hahk resurrected Salman's career that was in such an unusual dumpster before hahk, and he hasn't looked back since then

anjaam, it was a madhuri film and again loved srk and madhuri together, and what horrible thing that in that movie I wanted srk and madhuri characters to end up together

dtph, srk was bigger but again what chemistry. Karisma was younger and fitter and at her peak while madhuri was at her end, but the chemistry was alway between srk and madhuri.

and madhuri srk scenes are the memorable scenes for me from devdas, don't think I have watched aish srk scenes a second time even. even the songs, it's madhuri's that have stood the test of time.

madhuri had chemistry with every costar be it anil, Jackie, govinda, akshay, the khans, jeetendra, I can't think of a movie where madhuri didn't have chemistry with her costar? I think the one actor ironically, I didn't like madhuri with, was Sanjay Dutt, preferred salman in saajan, preferred Jackie in khalnaayak, and there was rishi Kapoor Sanjay Dutt movie, preferred with rishi Kapoor. only movie I liked madhuri with Sanjay Dutt was thanedaar, tamma tamma loge

but her chemistry with the khans was something else.

madhuri like sridevi was so good in creating chemistry that they looked good with everyone

like srk says he can romance a tree, same can be said about madhuri and sridevi, and rishi Kapoor

Festival thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nonam

yeah madhuri was always the bigger the star than the khan during their [makhan (madhuri-khan) movie]

dil madhuri was bigger but aamir and madhuri looked so beautiful together and what chemistry during neend na aaye and humne ghar chodha hain, I was always waiting for another big movie with them, a shame nothing came after that time other than the deewana mujhsa.....

saajan, madhuri was bigger but again what chemistry between salman and madhuri, and then hahk resurrected Salman's career that was in such an unusual dumpster before hahk, and he hasn't looked back since then

anjaam, it was a madhuri film and again loved srk and madhuri together, and what horrible thing that in that movie I wanted srk and madhuri characters to end up together

dtph, srk was bigger but again what chemistry. Karisma was younger and fitter and at her peak while madhuri was at her end, but the chemistry was alway between srk and madhuri.

and madhuri srk scenes are the memorable scenes for me from devdas, don't think I have watched aish srk scenes a second time even. even the songs, it's madhuri's that have stood the test of time.

madhuri had chemistry with every costar be it anil, Jackie, govinda, akshay, the khans, jeetendra, I can't think of a movie where madhuri didn't have chemistry with her costar? I think the one actor ironically, I didn't like madhuri with, was Sanjay Dutt, preferred salman in saajan, preferred Jackie in khalnaayak, and there was rishi Kapoor Sanjay Dutt movie, preferred with rishi Kapoor. only movie I liked madhuri with Sanjay Dutt was thanedaar, tamma tamma loge

but her chemistry with the khans was something else.

madhuri like sridevi was so good in creating chemistry that they looked good with everyone

like srk says he can romance a tree, same can be said about madhuri and sridevi, and rishi Kapoor

bold - OMG 😆

Edited by Festival - 2 years ago
642126 thumbnail

Madhuri and SRK worked in Anjaam first. By no means was SRK bigger star than Madhuri in 1994. He had success of Baazigar, Deewana and Darr behind him but he was still an upcoming star while Madhuri had cemented her position as top female superstar by time of Beta (1992) itself and only rose higher after success of Khalnayak (1993).

So Madhuri was bigger than all Khans when she first worked with them in 1990, 1994.

She herself also preferred to work with younger upcoming actors as she did not want to age onscreen or be seen as old and wanted to stay ahead of competition from newer girls like Juhi, Kajol, Divya, Neelam and other dime a dozen new girls making debuts in 80s and 90s.

She made a smart choice cutting down films with Anil and Sanjay by early 90s to work with Khans and foresaw where the tide was turning.

It was smart of her to work with Sanjay Kapoor, Akshaye Khanna, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgan also and manage to stay relevant in 2000s or else she'd have gone out of reckoning as a top star if she only worked with Anils or Sunnys and Sanjays. Her rivals like Meenakshi disappeared working with older lot like Rishi Kapoor and Sunny Deol, failing to connect with new generation.

nonam thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

OMG ...I have said this so many times.....when the Khans were younger....Madhuri looked like their older sister...she looked so much mature than them....while she looked better with slightly older actors at that time like Anil Kapoor, SD etc....Khans were such baby faced...all three of them...awww...😆

When Shah Rukh Khan said he was 'the real outsider': 'I was this Delhi boy with no godfather, no connections or family in Bollywood'

Who is more handsome, BTS or Salman Khan? - Quora

Sona Charaipotra on Twitter: "Young Aamir Khan appreciation post. #bollywood https://t.co/gelkaWg8Dm" / Twitter

650 × 400

nonam thumbnail
nonam thumbnail
nonam thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWAFDRAoLQ

here she is not as skinny as salman but more than madhuri, salman is so awkwardly skinny, he should have bulked up a little

I think we think madhuri looks older is at that time there were no fillers so you saw wrinkles, and the actress loosing and gaining weight makes you have more wrinkles. and before dtph madhuri had to gain weight to look better with fatter rishi Kapoor in prem Granth and then lose weight for dtph.