Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: desigrl05

Madhuri had a very mature face even at a young age, she liked fantastic with anil though

I think it’s not that she looked old. She looked mature.

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

It’s also because she was never really skinny or toned. So she looked a bit older by default.

This was the real problem, I think. She was flabby and not fit and it automatically gave her a matronly vibe. All those white tiny blouses and chiffon clothing looked like it was made for a teenager and it made her look even older. It was very noticeable in DTPH in comparison to Karishma who could pull off the sports bras without looking bad. The songs are beautiful but I still kind of cringe looking at Madhuri's clothes and the heaving bosom look they had going for her.

No point talking about chemistry though. It's in the eye of the beholder. If you see it, you see it. And if you don't, you don't. There can never be any universal agreement about such a subjective thing.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I've noticed that ageism (just like patriarchy) is deeply rooted in out society, especially towards women, and especially towards actresses.

That's why Madhuri was already being written off as a "senior" actress during her DTPH days, even though she was only 29 or 30 something.

I don't see people discussing Vinod Khanna or Rishi Kapoor looked "too old" for Madhuri/Juhi, but the reverse is always discussed.πŸ€”

I've not watched Madhuri's films opposite Anil, Jackie, Sanjay etc to do the comparison but I think she looked fine enough to pull off being paired opposite SRK, Salman, Aamir etc. She looked fine opposite younger actors too like Sanjay Kappor and Akshay Khanna.

Fitness-wise, I think Madhuri looked her best in Aaja Nachle.πŸ‘

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Journey95

I think Hrithik/Kajol would have looked fine if the pairing happened in the early 2000s. She still looked really young in K3G. Now obviously it would look a bit off despite Hrithik being older

I guess but it was never tested.

Binge thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Madhuri looked older than Srk in Devdas too.

Her chemistry with Salman was bttr in the song Pehla pehla pyaar hai though.

DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

She looked fine to me.

642126 thumbnail

I simply hate this ageism directed at actresses who begin to get targeted even they are not 30 yet.

I remember reading earlier also that Madhuri looked older than Aamir in Dil, Salman in HAHK, SRK in Anjaam, DTPH, HTHS, Devdas.

Why?

I thought actors MD worked with earlier such as Jeetendra, Mithun, Vinod looked like uncles. I rather used to feel pity for Sridevi and Madhuri when I saw them with uncle Jeetendra or Vinod Khanna who were way older than them.

Somehow actor never looks old eh? Only actress is deemed old.

It is not Madhuri who looked older than Khans. It is some insecure Khan fans who cannot digest Madhuri had overpowering charisma, was a more accomplished performer when Khans were raw and new and found it hard to catch up with her. Khans were baby faced in 90s, not actress' fault if Khans looked like kiddos in front of them then.

IDK why an actress always has to look cutesy or innocent or childlike like young Juhi or Divya to look acceptable with a male actor.

When mindset of audience is like this then no wonder industry is also like this.

Why an actress has to look like she has recently come out of high school?

I think this mentality is the reason why poor Nirupa Roy was cast as Dev Anand's mother despite being 10 years younger than him!

It is unfair to compare Madhuri's looks to Ash or Karishma in late 90s or early 2000s as she was older than them and conventionally Madhuri has never been skinny. She had a normal weight and pimples visible on her face. Unlike others who did a dozen things to look slimmer or flaunt a seemingly flawless skin. It is not fair to call her flabby just because she did not have slimmer figure like Sonali, Shilpa or Ash or Lolo. She was an old school actress with normal weight. Till 80s no one had slim figure or size zero figure or perfect make up or perfect skin. The fitness and make up norms changed for actors later from 90s as lot of models entered industry.

PS - why does this topic come up every few years in this forum and elsewhere?

Edited by atominis - 2 years ago
harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Madhuri always had mature look even during her teens and always looked better with older mature actors who looked manly, Anil Kapoor was her best pairing as well as Sanjay Dutt. by late 90s she looked less like a heroine even though she was 28 or something. With Khan's and akshay she looked way older than them. She looked better with srk in anjaam as enemy than a lover. In HAHK her chemistry with salman was ok but she still looked more like his older sister than lover. I think Juhi, Manisha, Karishma, mamta all suited better with khan's.

1123225 thumbnail

Well. She hasn't aged much in all these years, but the Khans have. πŸ˜† Now they look too old for her.

She wasn't much of an actress IMO, but she was and is a superstar, comments about her mature looks notwithstanding.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Its Like Jaya Pradha who was same age as Sridevi but looked extremly bad opposite sunny deol, anil kapoor