Balancing the scales of Justice - One shot on Abhira & Armaan

Fan Creations

Onir_noir thumbnail
Posted: 3 months ago

I had to pen this OS down after the disaster of the execution the makers did with the case yesterday.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Onir_noir thumbnail

Balancing the scales of Justice.

I had to pen this OS down after the disaster of the execution the makers did with the case yesterday. This is my take on how I would want it to go. I have no legal expertise & may be inaccurate in my way of portraying some of the legalities & technical possibilities. But if the writers of the show can have it, I can take a few creative liberties too. Pardon me, If any of it is wrong or hurts true law students or practitioners. Not my intent.

This OS plays out after the Vidya - Abhira conversation.

Abhira has been pacing the length of her room for the past hour. After her conversation with Vidya, a few clouds of her judgement have cleared out. Yet a few clouds of confusion & distress continue. She wants to take the leap of faith, she wants to rise & fly in love. No longer be tied down with scary “What ifs?”

However, what is still bothering her, is the thought of the case, the conflict of interest & blurring of ethical lines that both Armaan & she crossed today. It’s making her restless. She can never find rest until her heart, mind & conscience align.

What direction to take? What reparation to make that justice be served?

In her pacing, her eyes fall on her Mumma’s diary kept on the study table. Her Mumma, her guide & her moral compass. Abhira sits on the bed & for a moment latches on to the diary, her solace in this storm of thoughts & dilemmas she is facing.

“Mumma you have been my guiding force since childhood. You have reprimanded me when wrong, you have nurtured me to fight for the right, and be the voice of the voiceless. You have also warned me not to take shortcuts as it can lead you to unexplored & unwanted paths that could be dangerous in the long run. Today your Betu took a shortcut, her fears made her do that. But now I don’t want to live in that fear. Ye mein nahi hu Mumma! Show me what to do”

Abhira opens the diary to a random page, caressing the words of her mother. Her handwritten fonts cause familiar warmth & peace to seep through her fingertips.

“Life is funny & unfair. While practising Law this thought ran through my mind N number of times. However, one thing held me together & gave me the courage & patience to continue fighting for justice even at times when the chances of the result being in my client’s favour were bleak, and when I would see lines being crossed. The thought that kept me going was - the result that matters is that you fought, you worked hard for justice to be met, and you ensured that all parties involved weren’t further harmed. The victim gets justice & the perpetrator gets to repair the wrongs & learns how to come back to the right.”

She gently closes the diary, her Mumma’s profound words, her experienced vision flashing like an enlightening beacon into the darkened corners of her mind. However, she knows what needs to be done, but how to go about it. What will enable her? “Mumma didn’t say how to find the means. She directed me to the path, but what should I use to traverse that path? What can …..”

“Beta, Abhira baccha”, Madhav enters her room. “Meri Pyaari si Bacchi kya kar rahi hain yahaan akele mein”. He sits on her bed. Abhira watches him and her confusions are visible on her face. Madhav’s pari is struggling with something, he can feel it as he reads her face.

“Vidya informed me that you were disturbed about the case. You haven’t even eaten your dinner well today. I didn’t get a chance to come to check on you before, as I was resting in my room with all those drowsy medications, my wife keeps giving me. She thinks I don’t know she mixes them in my food, but I know it all. I secretly enjoy it too.” he laughs.

Abhira gives him a mild smile in response & nods her head. “What happened my child, won’t you share with your Papa what’s bothering you?” Abhira gets closer & holds his hands, “there is nothing to worry Papa. There is something I have to decide but nothing that should disturb your resting time. Your recovery matters more to me.” Madhav places his other hand on top of hers & gently prods her, “You not sharing will bother me. Abhira you’re my child, and a child’s restlessness is perceived by the parent. Tell me, I may not be able to give you the right answers but I’m a good listener. Take a chance.”

Abhira briefs him about the case & her dilemmas. She tells him she wants to win & punish the guilty. But Justice needs to be served rightly or to say through ethical means without compromising your moral compass. How to have both of these, as her previous actions have made both of these, as choices that are on either end of the spectrum.

Madhav ponders over her thoughts & conflict she is facing. “Beta, I can’t guide you as a lawyer, it isn’t my professional expertise. I’m a law enforcer, a police wala. So I defend the law and navigate the path that needs to be followed so that later justice can be served. But even I know that the scales of justice are skewed. They’re unbalanced & proofs or pieces of evidence help estimate the weightage on either side. However, in my years of experience dealing with crime, some things have come to my awareness. The victims need to be considered, along with that the acts of the offender need to be measured.”

“In accident cases, many a time the offender flees the crime scene, and the victim is left to fend for self. I’m glad Ruhi didn’t do or get to do that. The victim, your Kaka got medical care. There are many times some die, have life-threatening complications, or amputations as timely care isn’t given. In hospitals when we go to meet the victims to note their statements, we get to see the devastation left behind. I feel helpless & in my mind want the offenders to watch these consequences that they caused with one act/choice of theirs. It could be very life-affirming or altering.” He watches Abhira listening & absorbing his words. He doesn’t know if he has clarified or confused her more because she appears zoned out thinking about something else.

All of a sudden, Madhav is startled by the hundred-watt smile on Abhira’s face while she screams out “Idea”, her light bulb switching on. “Papa you’re the best, apne meri sab uljhan ek jhatke me bhagaa di. Ab mein bhi bhagti hu. Mujhe bahut kaam hai”.

“Arey, ye toofan mail ki tarah kahan jaa rahi ho, woh bhi itne raat ko.”

“Papa mujhe bahut zaroori kaam hai, aap chinta mat kijiye mein apna khayal rakhungi. Mein Kaka Kaki ko unke lodge mein milne jaa rahi hu. It is important and needs to be done now. When I reach there I will call you. Don’t worry about my safety. Please Papa”.

Madhav let’s her go, “Pagali hai puri ki puri”.

___________________________ ********************************* ______________________

Continued below.....

Onir_noir thumbnail

Continued from above.....

___________________________ ******** ______________________

Next morning, Court Scene:

Armaan has been sitting with the Goenkas waiting for the trial to start. There is no sign of Abhira & her Kaka - Kaki. Ruhi did try to talk to him, but he is not in the frame of mind to talk to her, after overhearing Manish & the two ladies bad-mouthing Abhira’s stance from yesterday. He didn’t want to create chaos so just went and sat on his chair.

He doesn’t have the mental capacity to deal with them, his thoughts are full of Abhira and how he burst out on her last night. It was a low blow comparing her with Phuphasa & he knows it. But Abhira did cross a line yesterday. All of this effort to try to convince her to give them a shot & her being insecure about Ruhi makes him want to pull his hair out. He wanted to speak to her in the morning, but she left before him & now she isn’t here yet. Where in the world is this girl? The judge will come in anytime & start the proceedings. Why is she late?

Precisely at that moment, Abhira enters the courtroom. She helps Kaka - Kaki settle on their spots. “Abhira beta sambhal lena. Humein tum par pura bharosa hai.” Abhira nods her head reassuring them.

She comes ahead & hands over a folder with documents to the assistant sitting below the judge’s seat, who places it on the Judge’s table. Following this she comes and sits in her place, taking a deep breath. “Abhira kahan thi tum, itna late kyun? Aur ab ye kya naya kar rahi ho tum, kya rakha tum ne wahaan” Abhira gives him an incredulous look. Before she can respond, the judge enters. They all rise in respect.

On being seated, the judge reviews the document on his table. “Advocate Sharma, are you sure about this? I have the final results & copy of the car inspection. I’m not sure if you know what you’re about to do. Do you really want to withdraw the case? This could be in your favour?”

On his announcement, the defence side is shocked. Armaan looks towards Abhira unable to decipher this new googly by her.

“Your honour, you’re reading correctly. I have spoken with my client & we agree to withdraw the case. However, we do have a proposal for settlement & will want the opposite party to agree on it as an important clause for going ahead with the settlement. I have submitted my clauses for the settlement too. If they agree with them, we are okay with moving ahead with the settlement.”

To say that the Goenkas are shocked would be an understatement. They don’t know if they should breathe or hiss. Swarna whispers to Ruhi, “I don’t trust Abhira, the clause will be a trap.” Ruhi counters, “But I trust Armaan, he will not let any harm come to me”. She says this while throwing subtle looks at Abhira, who seems unbothered.

“Okay if you say so, Advocate Poddar you can come ahead & view this offer of settlement drafted by Advocate Sharma.”

Armaan comes closer to the judge and takes the document. He reads through it & glances back at Abhira in surprise. He reads once again. The Judge states to Armaan, “Advocate Poddar, I have read the car inspection reports & also viewed the settlement clauses. If I was in your place I would grab this offering with both hands. It's a win-win situation from where I see it”. Armaan agrees to it, “We are okay with the settlement clauses My Lord”.

“Alright the case is null & void, we stop the proceedings”.

The Goenka clan rushes to Armaan. Ruhi “What are the clauses Armaan. Please let me know. I’m sure Abhira has figured out a way to put me down, she is removing her bhadaas in a new way now”.

Both Armaan & Abhira are flabbergasted by her unwarranted accusations. Kaki comes forward “zeher uglne se pehle sun toh lo kya hai in me, shayad tumhara fayda hi ho. Waise bhi jaise tumhare tarike or soch hai, mujhe lagta hai tumhe inki zarrorat hai. Mujhe ab samjh aa raha hai Abhira ne ye faisla kyun liya.”

“Dekhiye Bhenji, aap had paar kar rah hai…” However, before Manish with his words can dig another bigger hole for his bacchi, Armaan reads the clauses out loud.

“The clauses for settlement are that Ruhi pays for the medical cost, rehab fees, and transportation safely back to Mussoorie for Kaka. His injuries & all treatments related to it needs to be monetarily compensated, which they’ve estimated to 2 lakh rupees…..”

Swarna interjects “And what is that other clause” with a sneer & snarl in her voice.

Abhira continues, “Our 2 clauses are:

• One, along with monetary compensation, Ruhi comes forward & asks for forgiveness from Kaka - Kaki promising she will never drive rashly & be a responsible driver to carry out regular checks for her car.

• Second & most important, Ruhi will have to agree to go to City Hospital & work closely with the social worker there, twice a week for half a day, 3 months in a row. She will work with helping aid & rehabilitation reach the accident victims. And this needs to be recorded by the social worker there.”

Manish gratefully responds “Beta we agree on this. Thank you so much. Ruhi jao sorry bolo”. “Abhira beta I’m sorry too” He comes closer to embrace her.

Abhira steps back “Uncle, that’s fine. Let’s stick to the settlement clauses. I’m still on the opposing side & I have learnt not to mix emotions & work. So let’s maintain that.”

Armaan watches her with admiration.

Ruhi is pleading for forgiveness with tears in her eyes, saying she didn’t do anything intentionally & is sorry they had to bear the consequences.

Kaki responds “Dhyaan rakhna wapas aisa na ho” She turns towards Abhira and, “Abhira beta aaj tumhari Mumma ko tum pe faqaar hoga. Tum bilkul unki tarah ho. Tum ne ye dekha ki humein nyay mile, or doshi ko bhi paschatap karne ka zariya mile. Jete raho Beti”.

“Kaki apne ye kaha mujhe bahut accha laga. Chailye mein apko apke lodge chod deti hu”. Armaan watches them go with Pride in his eyes for his wife. She came through as always. She shines through even the darkest times.

“Armaan thank you… ” Ruhi starts. But before she can continue, Armaan cuts her off “Not me, you should be thanking Abhira. And a sorry too. We all need to apologise to her” He says this while glancing obliquely towards Manish. “Abhira didn’t remove any anger or bhadaas on you. She took some time to view this case for what it is & what to do to balance it out. She shocked me too with her clarity for justice, in the truest form.”

“That’s why I love Abhira so much. She is a gem. Whenever I think I can’t love her enough, she surprises me by showing that there is more to her that I keep falling in love with.”

“Ruhi this clause gives you a chance to repent & you get to pay your penance for this accident. You’re lucky you are getting this opportunity, many don’t get a second chance. Some keep asking for it & aren’t blessed. While some ask for it & don’t have the patience to be granted a second chance, and some when they’re close to being given it they self botch it up. I hope you are getting the intensity of what I’m trying to convey. Abhira has once again shown her magnanimity & still cares for all parties involved. I hope you move on with peace now.”

Armaan moves away from the courtroom, searching for his Khusbhoo, his Zindagi, his Chutku wifey. Pride in her success of truly winning her 1st case, not necessarily in a court of law but amazingly & consciously in the court of humanity.

—-------------------------------------- **************** —------------------------------------

Phew! Done.

sinak thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Awesome. Loved it. This is what they should have shown in the serial.

Pinecone thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Really well written!

The tweaks you have added make this plot so much better.

Please write more!

Sajini235 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
This is fantastic. I wish show also went like this. Fandom has better writers than rishta writers.
mistofshadows thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Team Critics

This is such a brilliant take and I wish they had done something like this.

In a minute Abhira proved her worth, Ruhi's problematic approach & won everything!

Have read your posts in X many times.

Good to see you penning this beauty!!

- Mist

8Lucky88 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Outstanding 👏

Enjoyed reading your version

Please do write more on abhimaan- your version of current track - dadisa accident and everyone blaming abhimaan

Onir_noir thumbnail
Thanks! Glad you liked my version & my added tweaks.
Onir_noir thumbnail

Originally posted by: mistofshadows

This is such a brilliant take and I wish they had done something like this.

In a minute Abhira proved her worth, Ruhi's problematic approach & won everything!

Have read your posts in X many times.

Good to see you penning this beauty!!

- Mist

Thanks for the kind words Mist! I had to pen this down as the episode version was a complete letdown.

I needed a worthy win for Abhira & At least for once wanted Ruhi to face some consequence.

Oh yes! I have seen your likes on my posts. Thanks for appreciating smiley27