I work very hard for the money I’ve made’ says Karan Johar

av131 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 days ago

Director and producer Karan Johar, in a recent interview, spoke about the criticism often faced by affluent people of showing off their wealth. He said while it is also the Instagram generation which means everything they do and buy get documented publicly, he is not going to apologise for spending the wealth he has worked hard to achieve.

Speaking with Faye D’Souza on her show ‘The Faye D’Souza Show’, who asked him about the Hermès Birkin he was snapped carrying and eventually making to the headlines. Karan Johar was spotted carrying the much-coveted H Togo Hac Casaque Birkin bag, which is priced at around Rs 27 lakh. The journalist asked him about exorbitant buys, which are often criticised as a show of wealth.

Johar, known for delivering multiple blockbusters including Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001), My Name is Khan (2010), Student of the Year (2012), said he has worked rather hard to achieve his wealth and he will not apologise for spending it.

“I work very hard, there are times when I work 18 hours a day. I work through every weekend, national holidays, everyday. I work 16-20 hours on a daily basis, I sleep only five hours. I work very hard for the money I have made, I am never going to apologise for that,” he said in the interview.

According to the 2024 Hurun India Rich List, Karan Johar's net worth is Rs 1,400 crore.

“And I believe joy is very critical. I don’t want to sit and apologise for the money on things that give me joy. I am a bit of a crazy retail-mad person. I love shopping, it is therapeutic for me.I don’t want to admit otherwise, and I want to tell you the truth. I do like the Birkin bag I bought, and it is going to be my daughter’s. It is an heirloom piece. I look at it as an investment. But if you ask if I want a blingy watch, no I don’t like it. I don’t like cars, I like clothes, I am stupid perhaps, I am silly. I should be saving that money for my children perhaps but I know they will achieve their own dreams, like I achieved my own dreams. And I am going to do what makes me happy today. I am going to make sure my children are educated, I am going to make sure my mother is always protected and well taken care of but this gives me happiness, why should I deny it?” said Karan Johar.

He said he does not like the sensibility of hoarding, to only save the money. Johar said he has the usual savings, property investments, fixed deposits to protect the interest of his children. “But why am I sitting and apologising for the wealth that I have earned because of my own hard work. I worked very hard to achieve that wealth,” he said, agreeing that this is the Instagram generation and people are going to watch. “There is also fame attached to it, so what do I do? I can’t help it,” he said.

Karan Johar acknowledged that he did not particularly enjoy his CEO calling him and asking if he did spend the exorbitant amount on the Birkin bag. “Did I have a big party for my 50th? I did. Will I have a big wedding for my children? I will. Because I love it. I love it all and would not change that,” he said.

Speaking about his childhood, Johar said that his father, Yash Johar, gave a series of flops after delivering a hit with Dostana in 1980. As financiers used to put money in the films, they had to return the money with interest. As such if the film failed, the losses were grave too. Johar said they had to sell off properties and jewellery to sometimes recover from the losses or pay the financiers back.

The director said that they were not a wealthy family but his father treated him like a “prince” and he was in the habit of spending more than his means.

“Fortunately for me, and this is just coincidence, my first, second and third films did really well, and then my father passed away. So a lot of the money that we made at Dharma was made when I started directing,” he said.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

As long as he pays a l l the people who work for Dharma and his productions a fair wage, he can by whatever he wants. He certainly isn't the only one who works hard...

However, I've another thought when someone shows off very much overexpensive things...it's - to me - like a "looking, I've (still) the money to buy this"...

Edited by Clochette - 7 days ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Clochette

As long as he pays a l l the people who work for Dharma and his productions a fair wage, he can by whatever he wants. He certainly isn't the only one who works hard...

However, I've another thought when someone shows off very much overexpensive things...it's - to me - like a "looking, I've (still) the money to buy this"...

Online, I've read that Dharma is a much nicer place to work at than YRF.

However, I find it interesting that KJO admits that most of Dharma was built up by the money from his first three movies (KKHH, K3G, and KHNH). I wonder if that's him inadvertently admitting that his films since then, specifically the non-SRK ones, have not come anywhere close to the same level of commercial appeal.

I was shocked to see how low Rocky aur Rani opened over in the Jigra thread.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5361751?pn=2

forza thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 days ago

Karan become rich with KKHH, K3g, KHNH & KANK

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Tabhi bawaseer ho gaya hai

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Toh dard nahi hota hard-earned money undeserving logo pe kharch karte hue?

Like the dozen no good nepos you are launching: Shanaya, Chanaya, Monaya, Binayasmiley39

Edited by Daebak - 6 days ago
Clochette thumbnail

I don't know about YRF, but Karan is someone who smiles at you first but then might ignore you all the next times... as I already stated: he has changed a lot throughout the years...

Edited by Clochette - 6 days ago
Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

kKHH, K3G and KHNH given him name and recognition and those are the movies he criticizes the most. He should think before he give interviews. He should stand tall when talking about those movies. His downfall was when he ditched Srk or when his friendship got weakened with Srk. KwK also has no life anymore.

Sad to hear his production company is going bankruptcy, tells he makes very poor financial decisions. And launching star kids who has no talent.

.Sunrise. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

He gave a attbb movie at the age of 24 with his first movie . He gave songs , scenes which became pop culture . And now he doesn't value that work and makes fun of it

He was good but he lost vision as srk said at a recent event , focus on your work rather than other things

Clochette thumbnail

He openly said it at the IIFA press-conference, right?

The way Karan has 'diversified' made more damage than profit, imo.