Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Viswasruti thumbnail

Dance Divas

Posted: 2 months ago

Originally posted by: nutmeg7

It is a very beautiful song. smiley27

Yes. Rain has a mystic quality. Listen to this, it is one of the best rain songs, with deep meaning! A lyrical tribute.

Film: Sharmilee

Lyricist is Neeraj,

Composed by S.D.Burman,

Singer is Lata Mangeshkar and

Actors are Rakhi & Shashi Kapoor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJbdzBEp0NY

Edited by Viswasruti - 2 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

Originally posted by: SmittenKitt3n

Hi Lizzie, thanks for the tag, interesting thread!

Not sure if anyone here has seen the movie, 99 Songs, by AR Rahman. He composed the music too. There's one song that really stood out to me and gave me chills when it played towards the end of the movie.

Sharing it here cuz I don't think the album got the recognition it deserved — just look at the low view count on YT and the lack of discussion on this forum. For what it's worth, the male lead won the award for best male debut that year.

Thanks for sharing, Smitten. I had never heard of this movie or the song before. Used to be an avid follower of ARR and his soundtracks up until the mid 2000s, gave up after Slumdog and his resultant downfall (strictly Imo). This one is quite haunting.
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

Originally posted by: Loving2Missing2

Wow Lizzie, Beautiful thought in creating this topic.

Sharing one of my favourite ones here, the Carpenters' Song: Yesterday Once More

The lyrics stay true through the time change and hit your heart bringing a soft smile on your lips. Such simple words, a very simple thought but so very true for every being.

And then this beautiful picturised rendition has come which fits so perfectly for Audrey and the immortal beauty of scenes in Roman Holiday...... Every time one watches, it's genuinely yesterday once more.

This was one of my go-tos. A song about nostalgia that brings nostalgia! smiley42 Sigh!

every shala la la, every woah oh oh... still shines..

When they get to the part

Where he's breakin' her heart

It can really make me cry

Just like before

It's yesterday once more.

And the Roman Holiday VM with this song hits very different. Thanks for sharing.

PS: I love that movie and Audrey and Gregory are a dream together! smiley42

nutmeg7 thumbnail

Since it is raining, I suddenly thought of this song:

Song: Boondon Se Baatein

Lyricist: Mehboob

Singer: Sujata Trivedi

Movie: Thakshak (1999)

Director and Producer: Govind Nihalani

Starcast: Ajay Devgan, Rahul Bose, Tabu, Amrish Puri, Govind Namdeo, Anupam Shyam, Vineet Kumar

Probably ya'll know this but still...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZI5nAzLlc

Liz, I accidentally clicked submit before tagging you. Hope you enjoy this song
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

Liz, I accidentally clicked submit before tagging you. Hope you enjoy this song

Thanks, Nutty! Yep, this was from ARR's golden era and I like this song so much more than Rang de which is the more popular one from this album. Thank you for sharing! smiley31

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Kishore Kumar & Lata Mangeshkar - Kafila (1952) - 'lehron se poochh lo'

Music: Husnlal Bhagatram

Lyrics: Vrajendra Gaur

See these lyrics and listen to that silky voice of Lata... and the expressive Kishor kumar's singing style. Such a tender, lovely song! The lilt in Lata's voice, and also the most beautiful lyrics! I heard it for the first time just now! Sharing it with all of you!

Lahro se puchh lo, lahro se puchh lo

This one is a real find! Kishore Kumar sounds so different here. A rare treasure indeed!
Viswasruti thumbnail

Dance Divas

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

This one is a real find! Kishore Kumar sounds so different here. A rare treasure indeed!

Since last evening, I have been listening to this song on loop.

This was truly a treasure because of the lyrics, melody, and expressive voices.

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

There have been a lot of Rafi sound alikes but Sanjeev Ramabhadran is one that caught my attention many years ago when I first heard him on Sa Re Ga Ma hosted by Sonu Nigam. He blew me away with his performance of Yehi Armaan lekar from Shabab. It's not just that he sounds so much like Rafi that when you hear from another room you'll wonder if it's the original playing. There are many artists that do - or at least try to. The thing about Sanjeev is that he captures the soul of Rafi's singing and that's what sets him apart (imho).

Not so long ago, he came out with this amazing Rafi tribute on his 40th death anniversary on his YT channel: 40 Years, 40 songs, 40 days - each day dedicated to one Music Director that Rafi worked with.

I'd highly recommend listening to this entire series. He covers not just the popular songs (he does very few of these actually) but focuses more on the rare Rafi tracks, some of which I heard for the first time and have since fallen in love with them and the originals have made it to my personal playlist. And it's just his voice and the harmonium for accompaniment. Sooo good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-SOSDiVZQA&list=PLFuRqpJzXLeNsV3KW68l8yERRwynaJ9Gh&index=40

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 months ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Dance Divas

Here is another hidden gem...

We've heard him many times, and it's still amazing to hear Manna De perform such exquisite renditions of great Raga-based songs. In this song, Lata Ji really excelled. Just pay attention to her intricate and lovely taans and harkats at the end. She is truly a melody queen. Singing on that high note at the end was really challenging, but she executed it flawlessly.

Song : udja bhanwar maya kamal ka..

Rag - Darbari Kanada..

Movie : Rani Rupmati ,1957,

Singers: Manna Dey and Lata Mageshkar,

Lyricist: Bharat Vyas

,Music composed : S.N.Tripathi,

Director : S.N.Tripathi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woNxEX0Ht00

Amru4krish thumbnail

Fusionistas

Originally posted by: Padmajaan

And also the original meaningful take on the classic carnatic music composition Krishna ni begane baro (Krishna please come quickly) by Colonial Cousins

https://youtu.be/CJvK0dox0_M?si=P-gT2HbF7OTw_xwj

This is one of my.most favourite.....