🎶 🎤Music Corner Antakshari🎤🎶 T#1 *Updated P-1*

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Posted: 10 days ago

Baithe baithe kya karein…. Karna hai kucch kaam

This is a common refrain most of us from Indian origin are familiar with

whether it's after having spent all of the hot summer day playing with the neighbourhood kids, but not ready to go home yet,

or at a work event when everyone just wants to let their hair down and show off their cool, non-professional side, 

or when you’re out on a picnic with friends or family and the bus/car ride is taking far too long and you're short of other ideas to quell the boredom, 

or even if you’re just sitting around in a party with strangers and looking for the perfect ice-breaker.

The solution is a popular and well-loved one… the game of musical connections where each song starts with the end syllable of the previous song…

We, at Music Corner, decided that we would have our own Antakshari thread but with a slight twist to make things more interesting.

Excited?

Read on for the Rules.

clipart2425555.png

The Rules are simple: One person starts off with a song and the next person continues the game usually with the last letter (syllable) of the previous song. 

Buuuttt in this version we have a few twists.

(inspiration drawn from KJasoosChulbulP's Connextune idea)

Each participant decides what the cue/ prompt will be for the next person.

The cue can be anything related to the song itself like the lyrics, the mood, the setting, the idea etc. Please note you cannot have cues such sing another song by Kishore Kumar or sing a song composed by R.D. Burman as cues.

Some examples:

# The last syllable (regular antakshari)

For eg. If you sang ‘Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi’ your cue will be regular antakshari meaning the next person will start their song with the syllable "ee" for huyi

# A specific word from the mukhda or an unspecified one where you can simply ask them to pick any word and sing a song beginning with that word. You can also pick two or more words. 

For eg. If you sang ‘Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi’ your cue can be that the next song should contain the words ‘Raat’ and ‘khwab’, and then next person would have to sing a song such as ‘Phir wohi raat hai, phir wohi raat hai khwab ki’. 

If you specify that the song needs to start with Raat, then they can sing ‘Raat ke humsafar’ or ‘Raat baaki, baat baaki’.

# The starting or ending letter of any word in your song. 

For eg: If you sang ‘Raat Kali ek Khwab mein aayi aur gale ka haar huyi’ you can give a cue for the next song to start with ‘Kh’ for Khwab, or ‘g’ for gale, or ‘r’ for haar ending.

A synonym for one of the words in your song

For eg. Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi, and your cue is: Synonym of ‘khwab’, then the next person would have to pick a song with the word ‘Sapna’ or ‘sapne’ or even ‘dream’.

# An antonym for one of the words in your song

Eg: For Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi, your cue can be: sing a song starting with the opposite of ‘Raat’ which is ‘Din’, so the next person will need to sing a song starting with ‘Din’.

In short, the cues can be ever-evolving and left to you, but please bear in mind that they need to have some connection with your song. 

When you post a song, record it in your voice on Vocaroo and post the link. 

We won’t accept YT or audio links of the original songs or just posting the lyrics.

We want you to sing the song. 

This is not a singing contest and no one is going to judge you on how well you did or didn’t sing a song. 

It’s Antakshari, people! Everybody HAS to sing! Non-negotiable!

The song you record can be as short as you like but it needs to cover at least the mukhda (the opening stanza), you can’t just sing the first line and leave it there. You are welcome to sing the whole song or include an antara (middle stanzas) but mukhda is the bare minimum.

When you post your song, please include at least the title of the song and the movie it comes from (if applicable). For people who are not familiar with the song, this will be helpful.

Your post should look like this:

How you're linking to the previous cue (you can quote the Cue part of the previous participant's post)

Your song title: Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi - Buddha Mil Gaya

Vocaroo link to the song in your voice

Cue for the next person: A song starting with a word opposite of the word ‘Raat’ 

**You can tag any or all of the participants to take up your cue, but please note that whoever is available and whoever claims it first will get a chance to sing.

clipart2425555.png

Are you allowing only Bollywood/ Hindi Film songs?

You are welcome to sing Hindi pop songs (mention the song and the singer), but yes, we will keep this limited to Hindi unless the cue specifically tells you to sing a song in English or any other language. Though cues like these are okay once in a while, we don’t want the thread to turn into something all of us aren’t familiar with, so for the most part we will stick to Hindi songs.

Can anyone jump in and sing at any time? Do I have to queue up? 

Whoever wants to participate can sign up on the thread, and we’ll keep a list of participants on Page 1. Anyone in the list can participate at any time. If you're available to take up the next cue, quote the post and reply with 'taking' or 'I'm taking this' or 'I got this one' or something similar so that no one else takes it. Then when your song is ready to post, edit your post and replace with your song link and your cue. It goes without saying that you cannot reply to your own cue i.e once you have sung a song and given a cue, you have to wait for at least one other person to take up your cue and sing before you can claim a cue again. All participants, please check the thread to ensure no one has claimed a cue first before claiming it to avoid confusion. Whoever 'claims' (quotes) the cue first will get the first chance to sing. I'll keep the list on Page # 1 updated as often as I can along with the cue added & the post link to the songs, so that they're available for quick reference.

What if I'm not available to take my turn? What if I don't know / am unable to think of a song based on the cue given to me? 

If you have claimed a cue and find that you are unable to find a quiet space to record or you realize you don't know of a song that fits the cue, you’re welcome to ‘pass’ your turn by saying so on the thread. Once you claim a cue we will wait for an hour for you to post, if you have not posted, then the cue becomes available for whoever wants to take it up.

Is this game based on points? Will there be a winner?  

Absolutely not! This game is for fun and to blow off some stress. Not to give you more stress! So no winners/ losers. You can pass as many times as you want to, and the thread/ game will keep going as long as there are people willing to play.

Can I repeat a song that's already been sung by someone else or me?  

No. Try not to repeat songs. We’ll maintain a list of all the songs that have been covered so far on Page # 1 of the thread. If the cue is such that absolutely no other song can be thought of, we’ll give a chance for a different cue.

Can I repeat cues? Can I give more than one cue?  

Cues can be repeated as often as you like, but try to keep it to only one cue and don’t give a choice to the next person. 

For eg. If you say, start with the ending of the letter ‘Raat’, then the person has to start their song with ‘t’. 

Can my cue be related to the artists that composed/ performed the song?

No. For now, we are keeping the cues limited to only the lyrics, the mood, the genre, and perhaps the setting of the song to keep it open and not restrictive for people who may/ may not be familiar with a particular generation/ era of Bollywood music.

For eg. After Raat kali ek khwab mein aayi, you can give a cue like ... a song about waking up or sleeping (subah ko jab hum neend se jage) which relates to the mood/ setting of the song, other than just making a connection to the lyrics. 

When does the game start?  

I'll wait until at least 5 people have signed up, then I'll post the first song and the cue and we'll go from there!

If there are any more Qs &/or suggestions, feel free to shoot them at us on the thread. 

Or if you find any loopholes in the rules, let us know and we'll fix them. 

Otherwise, go ahead and sign up!

Hum ek geet ga chuke hain, ab teri hai baari,

Jo tu na gaa paaya toh……

Kuch nahi hoga.. smiley36

Kisi aur participant ki aayegi baari! 

gifs and animation created &/or sourced from: 

Lordicon, clipartmax, texstudio & cooltext

Edited by LizzieBennet - 6 days ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Participants List

LizzieBennet

Grey_licious

Charu21 

NathuPaapi 

Surabhi01

Exoticdisaster 

Spideyweb  

Flauntpessimism 

Life_is_dutiful

Tapdance

Quantum-dot 

Sarki

awida

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 days ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Songs List

(cues are in brackets)

1. Mohe Panghat pe Nandlal (Cue: P)

2. Patthar ke sanam (Cue: S)

3. Saagar kinare (Cue: K)

4. Kya hua tera vaada   (Cue: H)

5. Kal ho na ho (Cue: Zindagi)

6. Ae zindagi dheere se chal (Cue: Opp of dheere)

7. Jaati hoon main jaldi hai kya (Cue: 'Pyaar')

8.  Pyar hume kis mod pe le aaya  (Cue: Mod)

9. Ye Bambai sheher haadson ka sheher hai (Cue: Start with the name of a city)

10. Bambai se gayi Poona (Cue:  'Raahi')  

11. Jeevan ke safar mein raahi (Cue: K) 

12. Kora Kaagaz tha ye maan mera (Cue: Darpan)

13. Tora man darpan kehlaye (Mann)

14. Mera mann kehne laga (B)

15. Baahon mein chale aao (Parda)

16. Parda hai parda (Start with Naam)

17. Naam ghum jayega (Pehchaan)

18. Tumse achha kaun hai (Sanam)

19. Chura liya hai tumne (O)

20. O Sajna (Ghata)

21. Kali ghata chayi, prem rut aayi (Start with 'Prem')

22. Prem mere aankhon mein hai (Aankh)

23. Deewana hai dekho (Deewana)

24. Aisi deewangi (Yaar)

25. Arre yaar meri (Chunariya or synonym)

26. Laaga chunri mein daag (Ghar)

27. Ghar more pardesiya (A)

28. Aaja Sanam (Aasmaan)

29. Ye haseen vaadiyaan (Saajna)

30. Suno sajna papihe ne (Pukaar)

31. Pukaarta chala hoon main (Zulf)

32. O haseena zulfonwaali (Dhoondh)

33. Do deewane sheher mein (Ek)

34. Ek ajnabee haseena se (I)

35. Iss rang badalti duniya mein (Start with 'Duniya')

36. Duniya haseenon ka mela (Aashiqui)

37. Dil tera aashiq (Na)

38. Na jiya lage na (Jiya)

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 hours ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Vocaroo Tutorial

1. Before you start, ensure you have a working microphone on your device (desktop/ laptop/phone/ tablet)

2. Go to Vocaroo.com on your laptop/desktop or phone/ other device. 

You can use headphones to block out ambient sound but it's not required.

3. Click on the Red mic button and begin singing.

IMG_2745.jpeg

4. You can take pauses by pressing on the pause button while singing. When done, click the Red Square button to stop recording. 

IMG_2746.jpeg

This page will show up.

IMG_2747.jpeg

5. Click on the Play button to listen to the recording. If you're dissatisfied and want to re-record you can click the Red Redo button and start over.

If the recording is satisfactory, click Save and Share.

6. This screen pops up. (Check next post for the image, since I’ve exceeded post limit of 3 images )

Copy the link that shows up and paste it in your post. That's it. If you want to save your recording you can download it to your device.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 10 days ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Image for Point 6 

(imgur isn’t working for me,  so this is a temp fix will update it later in the Tutorial post) 

IMG_2748.jpeg

Edited by LizzieBennet - 10 days ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Tagging some more peeps, join the Antakshari fun! smiley41

Grey-licious thumbnail

Devotional Deewane

Sign me up Riii smiley31

And yes no repeats please or it will lose the essence of antankshari

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

More tags. Wanna play Antakshari?

Viswasruti thumbnail

Vying for Vintage

Great initiative Lizzie. Inviting members to participate...

Charu21 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 6

Oh waah! Yes for sure. smiley14

Please sign me up Rii.