Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

982283 thumbnail
Posted: 3 months ago

Originally posted by: Terenaina

Which reminds me, I need to re-watch socha na tha lol I like simple movies.

Enjoy ! Again even that is more about Abhay Doel's character. I forgot the name. And his confusion between love and infatuation. But Ayesha Takia's character was more developed then some of Imtiaz's current female protagonist.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Blueeeee

To this I say what I said to a dear friend while discussing a recent crush :

"Yahan zinda rehne ki mental energy nahi milti, admiyon par kya hi waste karna."

The idea of real manic pixies existing or being one (men really just do not understand that women's kindness is not a free pass to expect free therapy from us) in this dystopian world is too tiring lol

Well said! It is just men taking advantage women's kindness.

DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

I agree to this post. All the movies mentioned here seemed like that to me.

Rockstar was a lame movie.

Jab harry met sejal went over my head.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

I agree to this post. All the movies mentioned here seemed like that to me.

Rockstar was a lame movie.

Jab harry met sejal went over my head.

Thank you for the validation! So glad you agreed. smiley41 In order to grow as a filmmaker he will have to learn to understand the female perspective better and not just write characters through the male gaze. Or else I feel he will be stagnant at the level he is at.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 3 months ago
DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

Ya JWM was his only movie i liked. It had balance of both. I think the movie got so much popularity mainly because of Geet. A bubbly girl like Geet being so heart broken and Aditya trying to cheer her up was a good story.

Edited by DivineAngel - 3 months ago
982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

Ya JWM was his only movie i liked. It had balance of both. I think the movie got so much popularity mainly because of Geet. A bubbly girl like Geet being so heart broken and Aditya trying to cheer her up was a good story.

Me too ! Socha Na Tha was also ok. Again it was still a story mostly about a dude caught between two women.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I completely agree!!!

He needs to do a more nuanced and balanced representation of female characters that would enrich his narratives, offering a fuller exploration of their inner lives and personal journeys.

I always felt Deepika's charachter in Tamasha was just as interesting as Ved, but it was left under-utilized.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I completely agree!!!

He needs to do a more nuanced and balanced representation of female characters that would enrich his narratives, offering a fuller exploration of their inner lives and personal journeys.

I always felt Deepika's charachter in Tamasha was just as interesting as Ved, but it was left under-utilized.

Thank you love! So nice to talk to you again! smiley31

Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

I dont want to single out Imtiaz when all of them are the same. You need to see a female oriented movie if you dont want to see a manic pixie dream girl in bolly at least.

Having said that, Socha Na Tha is his best work though. Post JWM he declined.

Edited by Novarieaa - 3 months ago
Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

This might be my bias, but I think women who still face a lot more challenges in society then men what make for a much better story if they were given such a poignant and layered representation. Imagine if a woman who also faces the challenged of a patriarchal society had to rediscover her creative side when she had been forced into 9-5 job due to societal norms.

I disagree a tiny bit. Please forgive me for going on a tangent here lol. Yes, patriarchy is something from which we all suffer, but it is not the only oppressive superstructure. Caste, class, race, sexuality, gender, religion, disabilty— all decide our position within a system, say, patriarchy.

In India, Dalit feminism has differed from Sávarna feminism on so many issues and theories.

In the west, race and class are other important markers. Taylor Swift clearly has more privilege and power in society than a Black man due to his race. And that Black man might have more power and privilege over a Black woman in his community. It is then double marginalisation for the Black women due to both racism and misognoir.

There is no universal female experience and/or sisterhood. I mean, there have always been Názi women who also wanted marginalised folks dead in every iteration of that ideology despite being treated as nothing more than a child-producing machine by that system themselves.

So yeah, I feel a bit iffy about universal womanhood wale notions tbh. That said, I DO AGREE, Ved's story on anyone other than a rich, cishet guy would have been so CATHARTIC, good lord.

Deepika would have ate that role, too, with her own struggles with depression in mind.