Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 months ago

Originally posted by: Haila_tu

If anyone knows such manic pixie dream girls in real life, please give them my number.

What needs to be fixed??

We have manic pixie dream boys too in our movies.....but those movies get tons of accolades and are known as female centric movies.

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

From what I have read on Reddit is his wife was a huge guiding force in terms of giving him ideas. How ironic? smiley36 Again that might be wrong.

Reddit is also becoming a troll website fast......koi kuchh bhi bolta hai wahan per....smiley36

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

We have manic pixie dream boys too in our movies.....but those movies get tons of accolades and are known as female centric movies.

Examples please ?

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Terenaina

I have not seen ALL of imtiaz movies. I saw socha na tha where the leads ayesha and abhay refuse arrange marriage with each other but end up falling in love which was cute and weird lol but loved their cute love story. second movie I watched of imtiaz was jab we met where the whole movie focused on kareena's character, even shahid said in an interview the name of the movie was kareena's character but Shahid told imtiaz to change the name of the movie. Last movie I watched of imtiaz was LAK with dp and saif, I liked their pairing. But the rest of movies of imtiaz, I have not seen at all. Cocktail was written by Imtiaz and he gave the BEST and strongest role to deepika's character which was veronica. At least Imtiaz makes sure female leads have roles unlike some directors where the female leads is just there for song and dance.

Cocktail was problematic in so many other ways. Clearly whoever wrote that had no understanding of the female perspective either.

I do think a large part of Geet's popularity also came from Kareena's endearing performance. It is not like Imtiaz has been able to extract a good performance from everyone he has worked with. Cough.. Sara in LAK2 or Nargis in Rockstar.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 3 months ago
Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Cocktail was problematic in so many other ways. Clearly whoever wrote that had no understanding of the female perspective either.

cocktail represented reality of some women who go through such experience which is sad. diana cheated, some women cheat and some women like veronica is still stuck on ex which is toxic but we have to address these issues, I loved the movie. Imtiaz writes better for women than zoya and other directors. He is much better than siddharth anand who only showcase women but they never have a storyline, only the men leads have storyline in Sid's movies. I have seen so many movies where the actress lead is just there for songs and dance, literally have no storyline.

I like to see women with storylines. I don't care if it is a good girl role like piku or a toxic woman like veronica in cocktail or a negative character like tabu in andhadhun, I like seeing different roles played by women.

Edited by Terenaina - 3 months ago
Terenaina thumbnail

I do think a large part of Geet's popularity also came from Kareena's endearing performance. It is not like Imtiaz has been able to extract a good performance from everyone he has worked with. Cough.. Sara in LAK2 or Nargis in Rockstar.

both shahid and kareena was amazing in the movie. shahid looked cute and innocent in the movie like he always looked in his early days. Original lead actress suppose to be preity, I think even preity would've been perfect for the role, she has a bubbly personality just like the character in the movie. Preity refused the movie, I wonder if she regrets it since movie became a hit. I love the songs of the movie. The way imtiaz directed was very simple.
982283 thumbnail

cocktail represented reality of some women who go through such experience which is sad. diana cheated, some women cheat and some women like veronica is still stuck on ex which is toxic but we have to address these issues, I loved the movie. Imtiaz writes better for women than zoya and other directors. He is much better than siddharth anand who only showcase women but they never have a storyline, only the men leads have storyline in Sid's movies. I have seen so many movies where the actress lead is just there for songs and dance, literally have no storyline.

I like to see women with storylines. I don't care if it is a good girl role like piku or a toxic woman like veronica in cocktail or a negative character like tabu in andhadhun, I like seeing different roles played by women.

Cocktail was one the most problematic films created in history. The parallel female lead breaks the girl code and backstabs her best friend. We are made to think we are suppose to feel bad for her because she is an abla nari? The other female lead is a "bad girl" because she drinks, has hook-ups & wears short dresses. And we are supposed to feel nothing for her when she gets cheated on & her bff gets into a relationship with her boyfriend when she was the very one who helped her bff from a crisis. The overall message is you only get the guy when you do pooja, cry frequently, is a virgin, wear long dresses & "patao" the guy's mother. And the guy can cheat on, hook up with & stay in the house of his girlfriend but will marry the "good girl" as the girlfriend is not "wife material". And the parallel FL is only moral when she reunites her ex-boyfriend & bff.

If they wanted to show the reality and not endorse regressive thinking then Gautam and Meera should not have had a happy ending. The fact that Veronica gets them together at the end just conveys as if we are suppose to believe Veronica was wrong for having an issues with both her boyfriend and best friend cheating her and she has finally come to her senses. They showed that the reality of what happens to many girls is perfectly OK and we should accept it.

In all his other movies you have not seen the only role woman have is to help the male lead evolve and change for the better in some way. They are depicted as the servants of men as men have always wanted them to be. For many centuries men have forced women to live like that. And now that some change has occured people like Imtiaz is taking us backwards with his potrayal of women in movies.

No way do I agree Imtiaz is better at writing female characters the Zoya. Although Katrina's role in ZNMD is also that of a MPDG. Even if there are people who depict women worse like Sandeep Vangha that is not an argument. That is simply what aboutism which is a logical fallacy. Two wrongs have never made a right and they never will.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 3 months ago
982283 thumbnail

both shahid and kareena was amazing in the movie. shahid looked cute and innocent in the movie like he always looked in his early days. Original lead actress suppose to be preity, I think even preity would've been perfect for the role, she has a bubbly personality just like the character in the movie. Preity refused the movie, I wonder if she regrets it since movie became a hit. I love the songs of the movie. The way imtiaz directed was very simple.

That is subjective. But I do not think anyone could have done justice to Geet the way Kareena did. Imtiaz got really lucky there. Picture some of his more recent heroines like Nargis or Sara in that role.

Terenaina thumbnail

Which reminds me, I need to re-watch socha na tha lol I like simple movies.