Imtiaz Ali and the manic pixie dream girl

982283 thumbnail
Posted: 3 months ago

To those who do not understand what manic pixie dream girl is... Film critic Nathan Rabin coined the term in his original review of Elizabethtown, writing that the MPDG “exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures.”

A manic pixie dream girl is the embodiment of a certain male fantasy: a charming woman who “isn’t like other girls” and has no desires of her own. While she may possess personality traits or a backstory that suggests a fully fleshed-out character, the story gives her little to no space to develop, learn, or advance her interests. She does not seem to have any interest in life besides to fix a damaged man. This type of woman normally exist in the fantasy of many men therefore of written by male storytellers. This just highlights the tendency of men to believe that everything revolves around them, or more importantly, the lives of women revolve around them and that women are incomplete without the presence of men in their lives.

To understand why this type of portrayal would not interest women or even offend them one just has to look into the past. How hard have women fought to have their voice? To have their own identity? They had to fight for the right to vote. Once upon a time, no woman could dream of being accepted into law schools or any postgraduate institution. Very few women had their careers. They were not able to apply for a credit card that was not in their husband’s name. They could not own property that was not in their husband’s name. They would probably get mocked for life if they ever aspired to hold any political or leadership position. Why did women fight so hard for these rights? Because no woman just wants to have a life that revolves solely around a man.

The manic pixie dream girl, even if shown as an independent working woman, has no other purpose in these male-oriented narratives other than to help the male evolve. She goes through no internal journey, growth, evolution, or transformation of her own. Once again she is not even shown to have any other aspirations or interests in life other than to help the male evolve. Her only importance in the narrative is how she aids in the male character’s journey of evolution. A very backward portrayal and perception of women. In the story everything revolves around the male protagonist, including the female character ..

Most of Imtiaz's Ali heroines have been Manic Pixie Dream Girls

Tamasha

The most important function that Deepika Padukone’s character has is to help Ranbir Kapoor realize that he’s ‘special’ and inspire him to get out of his dead-end corporate job. It’s important to note that, we are never told anything about the woman’s professional life or career (Deepika is supposed to be a successful career woman but what she actually does for a living is never mentioned), but the respective hero’s professional struggle forms the focus.

Rockstar

Nargis in Rockstar was an underdeveloped character compared to Ranbir. We never know her family, or her past. Again her job in the film was to come into his life and make him experience pain so that he can become successful in his career and evolve.

Chamkila

Again many people complained about why did the filmmakers not get Amarjot rights. Her contribution to the success of the musical jodi was never really explored. Nor was her mental process of accepting being someone's second wife. It was completely Chamkila's story that was depicted and his love for music. Amarjot just came along to help him become more successful.

Jab Harry Met Sejal

Sejal is unavailable to Harry. It was through his unfulfilled physical desire for her he found his own emotional core. There is literally a line in the show where he says, "Mujhe sirf tum bacha sakti ho."

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 3 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Well...I agree with Rockstar...have not yet watched Chamkila.

I disagree a bit with Tamasha but very much with JHMS.

In JHMS there is a mutual helping...both characters evolve, help each other to mature, make decisions that the other rerspects...the leaning is even more towards Sejal getting an own agenda than catering to Harry's well-being....it's - for most parts of the movie - Harry who caters to Sejal's well-being.

Interesting topic, dear smiley1

Edited by Clochette - 3 months ago
SavitaBarbie thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Geet from Jab We Met was just manic.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Well...I agree with Rockstar...have not yet watched Chamkila.

I disagree a bit with Tamasha but very much with JHMS.

In JHMS there is a mutual helping...both characters evolve, help each other to mature, make decisions that the other rerspects...the leaning is even more towards Sejal getting an own agenda than catering to Harry's well-being....it's - for most parts of the movie - Harry who caters to Sejal's well-being.

Interesting topic, dear smiley1

IMO Sejal spent her time, trying to become worthy for Harry and the need for male validation of her worth. I know you are a huge Shahrukh fan. But thank you for appreciating my topic anyway.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: SavitaBarbie

Geet from Jab We Met was just manic.

I skipped Jab we met. Although it did start off as the same story. A bubbly lively girl cheering up a depressed man and helping him evolve. But they did a lot to focus on Geet's emotions, heartbreak, and her conflicted feelings for both Ayushuman and Aditya. She was probably the most well-developed female lead Imtiaz has ever had.

Clochette thumbnail

Actually, she tried to become 'worthy' for her fiancé and her dad...it was Harry who helped her feeling worthy to face them (the search for the ring as a pretexte to avoid returning home)...and so she did (without a Harry who himself didn't feel 'worthy' being even there) ...her decision for her future life depended on her changed feeling for her own worth.

Nevertheless she came to the wedding place in the hope that Harry would follow the invitation.

In India many didn't understand Harry's way to sleep with Sejal without making love...the movie was ridiculed.

Harry's character was written by Imtiaz... ShahRukh enacted him...although, I'm sure that Imtiaz would have written the character in another way for Ranbir.

Maybe - seemingly - Sejal started as a "manic pixie dream girl" but that quickly changed when still being in Amsterdam.

Haila_tu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

If anyone knows such manic pixie dream girls in real life, please give them my number.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Actually, she tried to become 'worthy' for her fiancé and her dad...it was Harry who helped her feeling worthy to face them (the search for the ring as a pretexte to avoid returning home)...and so she did (without a Harry who himself didn't feel 'worthy' being even there) ...her decision for her future life depended on her changed feeling for her own worth.

Nevertheless she came to the wedding place in the hope that Harry would follow the invitation.

In India many didn't understand Harry's way to sleep with Sejal without making love...the movie was ridiculed.

Harry's character was written by Imtiaz... ShahRukh enacted him...although, I'm sure that Imtiaz would have written the character in another way for Ranbir.

Maybe - seemingly - Sejal started as a "manic pixie dream girl" but that quickly changed when still being in Amsterdam.

Many have felt Sejal by far the worst female character written by Imtiaz. I now feel that crown has been taken by Amarjot. But you are welcome to have a different opinion. Agree to disagree!

https://www.idiva.com/entertainment/bollywood/why-sejal-is-a-terrible-female-character/18022847

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Haila_tu

If anyone knows such manic pixie dream girls in real life, please give them my number.

As I stated earlier, they only exist in male fantasies. Where everything revolves around the man, include women and their purpose. No woman in real life would want to lead a life like that. Even his men are subtly misogynistic.

I sometimes wonder if the crux of most of his stories is inspired by his own life. I have heard his wife was responsible for a lot of the great ideas at the start of his professional journey. Psychiatry says the story a person is most likely to repeat is their own story.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 3 months ago
Clochette thumbnail

Of course we can agree to disagree. Still there is the fact that the movie had a remarkable succes in Western countries in comparison to India.

Didn't you notice that Harry put his own feelings aside to make Sejal a stronger character??? And although he was a womanizer and avoided commitment, he didn't flirt with Sejal as he very well sensed that she wasn't comfortable at all about herself.