Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 days ago

I love it when people who haven't read Ramayana/Mahabharata turn experts by watching TV serials, or worse, memes.

Valmiki Ramayana ends with Ram and Sita's return to Ayodhya.

e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

Ram-Sita's story is initially a beautiful love story until Ram abondons Sita.  At least Ram killed demon Ravan to save Sita. They should show it as a love story. Unlike "bharat ki beti ko bachana hai" like in adipurushsmiley29

I have heard in some places they worship that monster Ravansmiley11 don't know how that is possible. 

That part was pure fiction. Valmiki Ramayan ends at Ram and Sita’s reunion and all of them returning to Ayodhya and crowning ceremony of Ram and Sita. 

Edited by e1t53e - 9 days ago

Originally posted by: RamAayeHain

He's right, Ramayan is story of Ram that's why it's Ramayan 

If you want to show something else from somebody's pov just say it that we've taken inspiration from Ramayan but its not true Ramayan 

Ramayan is not mythology for us, its history and history ko manipulate karke dikhana is not a best practice 🤷, radha krishna is prime example of that 😅

I won't mind watching siya maa perspective, urmila maa perspective, lakshman ji perspective but then just don't call it Ramayan because then it'll become their story and would be somewhat fictional as authentic book wo plots mentioned nahi honge.

This...smiley27...Ramayan is the epic story of Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram...smiley27..and that is how it should be told because that is the way it has been written.......Telling a story from someone else's perspective won't be the actual Ramayan but the author's perspective.....no harm in that too....but like you said.....they can give it a different name...

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

Sita is equally important as Ram in Ramayana. Without Sita there is no Ram. 

Yes.....like Ramayan plays it out.....but remember we know Ramayan as it was wriiten by Rishi Valmiki......a version from the point of Sita ji....would involve the author's own imagination....and so it should be made with a different name......Our rich mythology is not up for distortion.....all the spin offs should have different name.

RamAayeHain thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

This...smiley27...Ramayan is the epic story of Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram...smiley27..and that is how it should be told because that is the way it has been written.......Telling a story from someone else's perspective won't be the actual Ramayan but the author's perspective.....no harm in that too....but like you said.....they can give it a different name...

Yup exactly 👍

SavitaBarbie thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

I love it when people who haven't read Ramayana/Mahabharata turn experts by watching TV serials, or worse, memes.

Valmiki Ramayana ends with Ram and Sita's return to Ayodhya.

Wonder who these people are 😆. I don't know about the others you have in mind ;I can speak for myself-I'm no expert but I have read the Ramayana. I don't remember watching memes or tiktoks on the subject. Yes ,the Valmiki Ramayana ends with the pattabhisheka and it's assumed that the Uttarakanda and Balakanda were not written by him,that they were later added on.  But the stories from both are very much part of the cultural imagination of our society.  Like the childhood of Rama, or the problematic bits about Sita or the birth of Luv and Kush.  They're mentioned in the Bhagavata as well and in texts like the Padma Purana and even the Ramcharitmanas.  While as believers we need to make sure that our scriptures aren't 'distorted' we also have to accept that the Ramayana is not just a religious text but also a part of our literature and folklore.  There's a lot of social commentary based on it .  So its tricky to gatekeep and  say " but this is not a part of Valmiki's Ramayana so it's a non issue " because as long as mainstream Hindu society doesn't denounce the Uttarakanda as inauthentic it would be a cop out to not address the contradictory messages .  We need to have different but meaningful narratives of the same story to make sense of the dharma that's the focal theme.  And Ramananda Sagar's Ramayana was not exactly an exercise in theology where he interpreted Valmiki's Ramayana frame by frame.  

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: SavitaBarbie

Wonder who these people are 😆. I don't know about the others you have in mind ;I can speak for myself-I'm no expert but I have read the Ramayana. I don't remember watching memes or tiktoks on the subject. Yes ,the Valmiki Ramayana ends with the pattabhisheka and it's assumed that the Uttarakanda and Balakanda were not written by him,that they were later added on.  But the stories from both are very much part of the cultural imagination of our society.  Like the childhood of Rama, or the problematic bits about Sita or the birth of Luv and Kush.  They're mentioned in the Bhagavata as well and in texts like the Padma Purana and even the Ramcharitmanas.  While as believers we need to make sure that our scriptures aren't 'distorted' we also have to accept that the Ramayana is not just a religious text but also a part of our literature and folklore.  There's a lot of social commentary based on it .  So its tricky to gatekeep and  say " but this is not a part of Valmiki's Ramayana so it's a non issue " because as long as mainstream Hindu society doesn't denounce the Uttarakanda as inauthentic it would be a cop out to not address the contradictory messages .  We need to have different but meaningful narratives of the same story to make sense of the dharma that's the focal theme.  And Ramananda Sagar's Ramayana was not exactly an exercise in theology where he interpreted Valmiki's Ramayana frame by frame.  

It was a general statement after having observed many debates and discussions over the years.

You do have a point. Ramayana and Mahabharata are an integral part of the Indian culture with different regions having different folklores to narrate. During my study of MBH I found multiple regional version of the same folklore which obviously had no footing in the texts (from KMG, BORI, Gita Press) that are deemed authentic and quoted often. But that didn't stop the folks from believing in those and having a pretty strong opinion.

Talking about the social commentaries, certain incidents from both epics elicit very strong and polarizing reactions and very often the negativity seeps into the society. So, the mainstream Hindu society does need to come out and disown what's not a part of those epics. Or, in the future the TV serial nonsense will also be deemed a part of the epics. We are already having a tough time debunking that suta putra and andhe ka putra andha BS. 🫥

Lastly, it's not that I have an issue with all the folklores. I just seek consistency.

Edited by Wistfulness - 9 days ago