Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Prizi thumbnail

India

Posted: 7 months ago

Shamar Joseph picked a seven-fer to derail the Aussies Down Under and here in India, it's debutant Tom Hartley who spun a web around the Indians to finish with a seven-fer. An incredible come-from-behind win for England. Their spinners were completely outbowled by their counterparts in the first innings. And despite picking three frontline spinners, it was Joe Root who was the most effective bowler. Almost every Indian batsman perished while trying to score a boundary and the hosts still managed to take a lead of 190. India were in the driver's seat. That's when usually most visiting teams capitulate. England/Bazball didn't. Their openers batted positively like the first innings but they were reduced to 163/5 (effectively minus 27 for five). A day three finish was very much on the cards at that stage. Once again, England/Bazball didn't give up. Ollie Pope, England's vice-captain, swept and reverse-swept to unsettle the Indian spinners. He was dropped twice after getting to his hundred and he made the Indians pay. He had his share of luck but England's No. 3 batted bravely throughout his innings. Stitched three crucial partnerships with Foakes, Rehan Ahmed and Hartley to take England into the lead, give them a glimmer of hope and then eventually a match-winning score.

Prizi thumbnail

India

Pope wasn't done! After making a marvellous 196, he put on the helmet again to play a role as a close-in fielder. Took two sharp catches in the same over off Hartley's bowling to remove Jaiswal and Gill. Rohit became the debutant's third victim and India were in a spot of bother. Rahul and Axar brought some calmness as they went to tea without further setbacks. But things escalated quickly in the final session with the home team losing four wickets in an hour. The England spinners were consistent with their line and length, exerted pressure and the Indians found it too hot to handle. Axar fell in the first over after tea, Rahul got out playing casually against Root, Stokes's brilliance resulted in Jadeja's downfall and Leach had Shreyas caught at slip. India were down and out at 119/7.

Prizi thumbnail

India

Bharat and Ashwin forged a fifty partnership but Hartley bowled a beauty to castle Bharat. Stokes claimed the extra half an hour. Ashwin fell playing a wild stroke immediately. Siraj and Bumrah brought the target below 30 but the Indian No. 11 perished to Hartley in the final over of the day. India dominated the first two days but England turned it around in spectacular style to win this Hyderabad Test with a day to go.

Prizi thumbnail

India

Tom Hartley: It's unbelievable, will not sink in for a while to be honest. I don't think there was a lot of help, I had to keep a cool head. It was a tough one (on the first innings bowling effort), it didn't spin as much as I thought, and I had a chat with Stokes, McCullum and the team management. The dressing room has great vibes, it's a fantastic dressing room, one of the best. It's just the Stokes way, just bowl into the surface and we came out on top today. Getting a few runs always helps (on his second innings batting effort), it also helped me get to know about the pitch a lot more. Just unbelievable to be honest. I didn't have to bowl as fast as I thought (in the first innings), watching Ash and Jadeja, we knew we could take some time - change the length and the trajectory when we bowled for the second time.

Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

India

Hard to pinpoint?????????????????

Brohit c'mon

Prizi thumbnail

India

7/62 by Tom Hartley is the best figures for an England spinner on Test debut in the post-war era (since 1945) and nine wickets by him in a match is the joint-most since Robert Berry's 9/116 vs West Indies in Manchester in 1950

Prizi thumbnail

India

No wickets for England seamers in a Test in post war era (since 1945)

vs Ind Kanpur 1952

vs Aus Manchester 1956

vs SL Pallekele 2018

vs Ind Hyderabad 2024

* where they have taken all 20 opposition wkts

Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

India

The crowd is actually great. They deserved a home team win.

Prizi thumbnail

India

Narrowest Test defeats for India by runs

12 vs Pak Chennai 1999

16 vs Aus Brisbane 1977

16 vs Pak Bengaluru 1987

28 vs Eng Hyderabad 2024

31 vs Eng Birmingham 2018

Prizi thumbnail

India