Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 months ago

Originally posted by: diasingh2

I haven't watched it but planning to watch it now.

It's quite groundbreaking because it was the first Bollywood depiction of AIDS if I remember correctly. And keep in mind that even Hollywood had only done so about a decade ago with Philadelphia in 1993 so Bollywood was not that far behind.

It was also Shilpa's only Filmfare nomination for Best Actress.

Edited by RaniPreityAish - 9 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: diasingh2

In an ideal world, Dhadkan would have promoted her to the big leagues.... like Rangeela did to Urmila's career or what Raja Hindustani did to Karisma's career.

But it didn't happen, because 2000 was a big year... so many new faces debuted, and actresses like Rani,Preeti, Aish started rising upward... And like you said, since Shilpa had already been working for 7-8 years by then..... the industry and the audience just expected her to pack-off her bags and bags in leave like other heroines.

But kudos to her that she stayed, transformed herself physically and kept working. I remember she started to look vastly different from her 90s-self in the 2000s ...and she has managed to look the same since then and even better.

I still think 2007-2008 was a perfect time for her to reinvent herself, as the industry was entering a new phase and she had the benefit of her killer looks + Big Brother popularity over her 90s contemporaries. She could have milked all that into getting good projects and keeping her relevant,

But she decided to focus on being a fitness icon, judging/hosting reality shows, IPL..and eventually got married to Raj Kundra. That Richard Gere controversy also made her more of a meme than a victim, considering every crass comedy show at that time made fun of that incident.

Shamita also never got her due, despite being a YRF debut. But she had no strong backing. YRF is not like Dharma in that sense. They give you good debut, but after that you are on your own.

Coming back to Shilpa's work, the 3 films that I have mentioned are his most popular work, but she has worked in numerous other good and bad projects.

Yes, Shilpa has not worked with Aamir. But you would be surprised to know that Shamita was offered Lagaan but she turned it down for Mohabatein

I haven't watched Phir Milenge, but I am thinking of watching it cause I have been hearing a lot about the film recently.

If you think about, Shilpa has had a longer career than Anushka Sharma, but Anushka being married to Virat will always be considered "relevant". I guess having a popular/successful husband helps too.

Shilpa's marriage with Kundra was never hyped unlike every other wedding today, and her association to Kundra has rather harmed her image.

As far as the future is concerned, Apart from Sukhee and Indian Police Force, I sincerely hope Shikpa reprises her role in Apne 2.

It would be a mistake to not work with the Deols at this point, considering they reinvented and made such a strong comeback in 2023. I wonder if Katrina would return for Apne 2.

Btw Akshay might be returning with Raveena, but looks he will have Disha Patani as his love interest.smiley39

I think some people said that Dhadkan's problem was that it took so many years to make that by the time it was released, it was a bit outdated. It would have done even better had it come out before like right after Raja Hindustani. I agree that it should have launched her the way Rangeela and RH did and to an extent it did, but it was a little too late.

Yup, exactly. Shilpa was unfortunately grouped with the earlier actresses so she got waived aside. Notice how an actress with film family connections like Kareena never has to worry about this. Even though she also debuted in the 2000s, she was still grouped with later debuts like Priyanka, Katrina, Deepika, etc. No outsider would get that opportunity.

People give Shilpa a lot of flack for her cosmetic surgeries and self-improvement, but why does it bother them so much? It's not hurting anyone and she's committed no crime. I see lots of hateful remarks about her nose especially.

I think if Shilpa had the family connections like Kareena, she could likely have reinvented herself on screen and proven herself to be a contemporary of the new actresses. The lack of industry support is what hurt her. She's mentioned that she never felt much support from the film industry and I've only ever seen the non-nepo actresses claim this whether it was Urmila or Amisha.

My guess is she went the TV and fitness route because she wasn't getting the desirable and coveted film roles. If her 90s contemporaries had already faded away by the early 2000s and early 2000s actresses like Rani and Preity were fading away by the late 2000s, then there was no way Shilpa was going to be able to remain either.

I've heard people in the industry say Dharma is the better production company to work with than YRF. Not just for actors but even for people behind the scenes, that Dharma goes out of its way to take care of everyone and make you feel you are needed. YRF really does seem to drop the ball outside of debuts. None of the 6 debuts in Mohabbatein made it big.

I had no idea Shamity was offered Lagaan. Interesting because Rani said she was also offered it but had to refuse because of dates. Seems like many actresses were offered Lagaan then.

Anushka I feel has lost relevance though. If she's mentioned in media now, it's only because of Virat Kohli and cricket. As an actress, she's never mentioned at all anymore outside of her relationship with her husband. I liked her so I think it's sad she's more or less retired but perhaps she'll return one day.

Yeah Kundra was a mistake for Shilpa for sure.

Let's hope that Apne 2 doesn't forget Shilpa. I know it's common for sequels with big heroes to ignore the heroines come sequel time like they're interchangeable.

The Deols' return reminds me of Bhaiji Superhit which was a huge flop a few years back. I wonder if that film came out now, would it do much better? Would audiences flock to see Sunny and Amisha reunite onscreen in completely different roles after Gadar 2? Would interest in 90s/2000s actresses returning to the screen hype up Preity's comeback? The movie wasn't very good imo but it would likely have been a success if it released today.

Oh yuck. Akshay has just wasted my goodwill for him. I should have known he hasn't changed.

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Chrissy Teigen was never an actress though and she's mostly just known for being married to John Legend and being annoying on social media. She had to literally disappear from social media because she was exposed for bullying others.

She's closer in terms to Jane Fonda as being a successful actress who branched off into exercise except Shilpa was never as big as Jane Fonda.

Sukhee reminded me a lot of English Vinglish. Not as good maybe but not that far below it it.

I've never seen her Tamil movies but I enjoyed her in Life in a Metro so I'll have to check those out.

I didn't know she had more or less a stage mom. I know about Akshay though and he seemed pretty horrible to all the actresses he was linked to in the 90s (plus past 90s). I think there were rumors that he was even linked to Rekha, even while he was allegedly with Raveena. Raveena denied this, casting the blame on Rekha saying she was out to get Akshay but he wouldn't even look in her direction, but Raveena would be a biased source here.

Her mom forced her to get into the 'couch' business for movies w/o hiring a personal secretary, or what was the term for a PR team back then, so people openly treated her like trash. Her mom not only is a stage mom but is probably one of the worst in Bollywood history.

The Chrissy comparison was mainly due to her being popular but annoying online for a short while. Obviously movie-wise there is no comparison, but Shilpa is more known for her reality TV stunt amongst the younger generations.

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Hmm smiley22smiley36

Word Count: 1

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: VimalPanMasala

Her mom forced her to get into the 'couch' business for movies w/o hiring a personal secretary, or what was the term for a PR team back then, so people openly treated her like trash. Her mom not only is a stage mom but is probably one of the worst in Bollywood history.

The Chrissy comparison was mainly due to her being popular but annoying online for a short while. Obviously movie-wise there is no comparison, but Shilpa is more known for her reality TV stunt amongst the younger generations.

Oh how horrible. I know all the film industries tend to be filled with stage moms but Shilpa's sounds especially awful to actually sell her out for roles. The ironic thing is that I've heard many other actresses have done the exact same things except they did so openly and without coercion from their mothers (like Subhash Ghai's heroines).

Yeah, it's a pity that for this new generation that Shilpa is only known for TV. But then again, this new generation is more familiar with Janhvi and now Khushi than they are with Sridevi.

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Comedy Crew

I checked Shilpa 's filmography found out that baazigar and main Khiladi tu anari were her only hit movies in 90s so she did better in 2000s?

MrChatVsNorway thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

I hv always liked her

Also, credit has to be given to her for that body and keeping herself relevant despite not being a top tier 90’s actress .. I mean Manisha, Raveena , Karishma etc got to do better films yet she has more social media clout and following than them combined

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I think some people said that Dhadkan's problem was that it took so many years to make that by the time it was released, it was a bit outdated. It would have done even better had it come out before like right after Raja Hindustani. I agree that it should have launched her the way Rangeela and RH did and to an extent it did, but it was a little too late.

Yup, exactly. Shilpa was unfortunately grouped with the earlier actresses so she got waived aside. Notice how an actress with film family connections like Kareena never has to worry about this. Even though she also debuted in the 2000s, she was still grouped with later debuts like Priyanka, Katrina, Deepika, etc. No outsider would get that opportunity.

People give Shilpa a lot of flack for her cosmetic surgeries and self-improvement, but why does it bother them so much? It's not hurting anyone and she's committed no crime. I see lots of hateful remarks about her nose especially.

I think if Shilpa had the family connections like Kareena, she could likely have reinvented herself on screen and proven herself to be a contemporary of the new actresses. The lack of industry support is what hurt her. She's mentioned that she never felt much support from the film industry and I've only ever seen the non-nepo actresses claim this whether it was Urmila or Amisha.

My guess is she went the TV and fitness route because she wasn't getting the desirable and coveted film roles. If her 90s contemporaries had already faded away by the early 2000s and early 2000s actresses like Rani and Preity were fading away by the late 2000s, then there was no way Shilpa was going to be able to remain either.

I've heard people in the industry say Dharma is the better production company to work with than YRF. Not just for actors but even for people behind the scenes, that Dharma goes out of its way to take care of everyone and make you feel you are needed. YRF really does seem to drop the ball outside of debuts. None of the 6 debuts in Mohabbatein made it big.

I had no idea Shamity was offered Lagaan. Interesting because Rani said she was also offered it but had to refuse because of dates. Seems like many actresses were offered Lagaan then.

Anushka I feel has lost relevance though. If she's mentioned in media now, it's only because of Virat Kohli and cricket. As an actress, she's never mentioned at all anymore outside of her relationship with her husband. I liked her so I think it's sad she's more or less retired but perhaps she'll return one day.

Yeah Kundra was a mistake for Shilpa for sure.

Let's hope that Apne 2 doesn't forget Shilpa. I know it's common for sequels with big heroes to ignore the heroines come sequel time like they're interchangeable.

The Deols' return reminds me of Bhaiji Superhit which was a huge flop a few years back. I wonder if that film came out now, would it do much better? Would audiences flock to see Sunny and Amisha reunite onscreen in completely different roles after Gadar 2? Would interest in 90s/2000s actresses returning to the screen hype up Preity's comeback? The movie wasn't very good imo but it would likely have been a success if it released today.

Oh yuck. Akshay has just wasted my goodwill for him. I should have known he hasn't changed.

The reason Shilpa gets flack from the audience despite being so fit at this age because people are sexist. Trust me, no surgeries can give you the stamina, the figure and the overall grace that Shilpa has today .... without any hardwork on fitness and diet. If Shilpa was a man, then you would have never heard the end of it from the audience because men are applauded and defended even for doing the bare minimum.

And god forbid, if Shilpa's surgeries did not work well, then people would have called her names. And if she did not do any surgeries, then people would have grilled for her having "bad features". Whether you do it right, do it wrong....or not do it....you are damned either way. That is the curse of being a woman in film Industry, and in India in general. Had Shilpa been in Hollywood, she would have achieved far more than what she achieved here, precisely based on her looks only.

And yes, if she had been from the film industry, she would have managed to survive for a long time like Kareena.

In a way she did have a long career. For a 1993 debutante, she was still doing lead roles as late as 2007, and she always had 1 good film every 2-3 years in her 14-15 years of career. She unfortunately never reached a "peak" because of tough competition.

And even post that, she never went into oblivion ... thanks to her successful stint on TV. But the thing is that she is overexposed on TV now, so her comebacks also not look like comebacks to the new generation, because they see her practically every few months on some TV show.

Regarding Apne 2, I last heard that Shilpa had date issues with Apne 2 and therefore could not shoot, but since the film is delayed and still in production.... I hope the heroines are retained in the film.

Bhaiyaji Superhit was a messy film, and did not have the nostalgia factor that Gadar 2 had or Apne 2 has. So, not sure if it would have worked well in 2023, but Apne 2 (if done right) definitely has high chances.

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Between Aish and Shilpa, who do you think is a bigger global star? I think it's Shilpa. She won the Big brother, did Dhadkan and is more fit today than Aish ever was in her career.

rvarier thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

True story. Salman was said to have been desperate to sleep with Shilpa, hence he would get her signed for many of his movies though most of them flopped. Then Akshay slept with her promising marriage and the boasted about it Salman was pissed as she never slept with him. Someone who is close to Salman told me this. Shilpa never slept around it was a rumour. She slept with people only with an eye to marrriage