Why Shilpa Shetty faced Racism?

BhataktiJawani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 1 months ago

She was a pretty big name in BW. She should not have done this show & listen to these B grade wannabes imo. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_FIkb5ScUDE&pp=ygUUYmlnIGJyb3RoZXIgNSB3aW5uZXI%3D

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SavitaBarbie thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Jade Goody and the other two girls did say racist things about Shilpa but Shilpa was pretty obnoxious from the start. From talking about all the 'servants' she had back in India to comparing herself to Angelina Jolie. When you are with a bunch of people you're supposed to read the room before saying anything. This goes for any situation but more so when you're representing your country somewhere else. The last straw was Shilpa flushing a bowl of chicken curry down the toilet ( bones and all) and clogging it. Jade was racist,technically, but most of the backlash she got was from people who looked down on her as a crass working class woman with a history of shoplifting or whatever .

BhataktiJawani thumbnail

Originally posted by: SavitaBarbie

Jade Goody and the other two girls did say racist things about Shilpa but Shilpa was pretty obnoxious from the start. From talking about all the 'servants' she had back in India to comparing herself to Angelina Jolie. When you are with a bunch of people you're supposed to read the room before saying anything. This goes for any situation but more so when you're representing your country somewhere else. The last straw was Shilpa flushing a bowl of chicken curry down the toilet ( bones and all) and clogging it. Jade was racist,technically, but most of the backlash she got was from people who looked down on her as a crass working class woman with a history of shoplifting or whatever .

Did Shilpa acted mighty in the show? Catch me up on this coz i have not seen it. Just saw this clip because of the famous racism controversy.
angelic2005 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
It’s funny cause she wasn’t that famous before going into the show, India knows her and NRI’s who watch Bollywood movies know her. She tooted her trumpet too much. I can’t remember much it was so long ago. I was embarrassed that she was the Indian representation.
SavitaBarbie thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BhataktiJawani

Did Shilpa acted mighty in the show? Catch me up on this coz i have not seen it. Just saw this clip because of the famous racism controversy.

Well she wasn't terrible . She was polite for the most part. But also condescending and boastful. No self awareness. The servants thing was brought up during the first couple of days when everyone was getting to know each other. Shilpa said she couldn't fix herself a meal because she had servants at home to do that. The listeners assumed she was some HUGE star in India and wanted to know more. SS said the home was multistoreyed and the servants used one whole floor or something. You don't have to be woke to know it's tacky to say such things . Not all the way intentional , partly the fault of her team who should have prepped her better. She managed to annoy others right away. ( Afterwards Jade's mother was like " Oh India ! Don't you guys live in shacks ? LOL. Probably on purpose )

Jade was no saint but with her it was more of a temperament issue than racism or any ism. I'm sure she has said worse things about other white people. The other two were quite b1tchy. An argument broke out between SS and Jade after the chicken in the toilet issue and Shilpa had to rub it in once more. " Mujhe Kahan pata tha, I have SERVANTS to do these things at home !! ". Then the racist things were said. Shilpa said in the confession room that they picked on her for speaking with an accent. She didn't forget to add she spoke better English than them So there was a bit of a back and forth with the nastiness.

What was annoying is how they played up the dignified Indian woman vs foul mouthed white trash angle. Shilpa did have some nice moments. She bonded well with MJ's brother and this Ian guy. And she seemed to genuinely enjoy tasks putting the hostility aside which was sweet I guess.

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

The last straw was Shilpa flushing a bowl of chicken curry down the toilet ( bones and all)

Why the hell did she do that? Akal bhi uske "servants" ke pas hi hai lagta hai

Edited by Daebak - 1 months ago
BhataktiJawani thumbnail

Well she wasn't terrible . She was polite for the most part. But also condescending and boastful. No self awareness. The servants thing was brought up during the first couple of days when everyone was getting to know each other. Shilpa said she couldn't fix herself a meal because she had servants at home to do that. The listeners assumed she was some HUGE star in India and wanted to know more. SS said the home was multistoreyed and the servants used one whole floor or something. You don't have to be woke to know it's tacky to say such things . Not all the way intentional , partly the fault of her team who should have prepped her better. She managed to annoy others right away. ( Afterwards Jade's mother was like " Oh India ! Don't you guys live in shacks ? LOL. Probably on purpose )

Jade was no saint but with her it was more of a temperament issue than racism or any ism. I'm sure she has said worse things about other white people. The other two were quite b1tchy. An argument broke out between SS and Jade after the chicken in the toilet issue and Shilpa had to rub it in once more. " Mujhe Kahan pata tha, I have SERVANTS to do these things at home !! ". Then the racist things were said. Shilpa said in the confession room that they picked on her for speaking with an accent. She didn't forget to add she spoke better English than them So there was a bit of a back and forth with the nastiness.

What was annoying is how they played up the dignified Indian woman vs foul mouthed white trash angle. Shilpa did have some nice moments. She bonded well with MJ's brother and this Ian guy. And she seemed to genuinely enjoy tasks putting the hostility aside which was sweet I guess.

WOW i didn’t knew any of this. I thought they didn’t liked her because of her Indian nationality and less knowledge of English. Can you tell me in which epi she was boasting about servants living on one floor and stuff. I really wanna see that to judge the whole situation better. Also in which epi she flushed chicken curry in toilet?

BhataktiJawani thumbnail

Originally posted by: angelic2005

It’s funny cause she wasn’t that famous before going into the show, India knows her and NRI’s who watch Bollywood movies know her. She tooted her trumpet too much. I can’t remember much it was so long ago. I was embarrassed that she was the Indian representation.

Dhadkan was a huge hit. I am pretty sure she has always been famous in India

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BhataktiJawani

Dhadkan was a huge hit. I am pretty sure she has always been famous in India

I agree. Maybe she was never the #1 heroine but when all other 90s actresses had more or less faded away, she was still relevant by the mid-late 2000s, along with Urmila. Dhadkan was a huge hit and she had Baazigar as her debut film which she will always be associated with for her iconic death scene that is still remembered to this day. Chura Ke Dil Mera is one of the most popular 90s songs and she had scored two recent Filmfare nominations before Big Brother so it's not like she was some random starlet from India.

I do remember reading that after the racism incident, she got a lot of sympathy and praise from the British media for holding her head up high and not stooping to the level of the guttersnipes. So she came out of it more or less the victor.

KhaqONeal thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

The last straw was Shilpa flushing a bowl of chicken curry down the toilet ( bones and all) and clogging it.

why would anyone feel the need to do this? Like why couldn't she just bin it in the kitchen? or use the food waste disposer..