Bias against Shilpa Shetty

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 months ago

There is a real bias against star Shilpa Shetty. Anytime threads of hers are created here, some users complain that her name is circulating too much for their taste.

The latest insult is that the Indian Police Force thread doesn't even feature her name in the title. Why is such a great star like Shilpa being erased like this? She is the female lead and deserves as much respect as Rohit Shetty and Sid if not more. She's certainly a better actor and bigger star.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Hey... looks like some comments against Shilpa have bothered you. Don't mind them. It´s not worth it.

I personally like to watch Shilpa on screen.

She worked all the major stars in the 90s and was quite a popular face in the 2000s. Her best work is Baazigar, Dhadkan and Life In A Metro.

I thought post her Big Brother win in 2007 and that song in Dostana in 2008smiley4 (where she looked super hot), she would start her second innings and finally utilize her looks and talent. Sadly she started focusing on IPL and reality shows smiley24. Sadly, that´s how the GenZ generation remember her.

Her "comebacks" haven´t worked so far also (Hungama 2, Nikamma). I liked Sukhee though... and I hope the sequel does happen smiley20

Shilpa is not a strong actor, but she is one of those few 90s actresses who have maintained themselves very well (thanks to her fitness and yoga routine.smiley32) I am surprised that she isn't paired opposite stars like Akshay, considering they reconciled years ago and they make a terrific pair onscreen.

Looks like, she is not valued by the industry as an actor because she is not from a film lineage. Her public image also tainted due to Raj Kundra.

Baazigar completed 30 years this year, there should've been a collab or some kind of celebration, with SRK but they did nothing. I bet she is on par with Deepika in terms on looks even at this age.

Sukhee and Indian Police Force are finally the steps in right direction. Hope she gets her due, but maybe is its too late? I hope not.

Edited by diasingh2 - 9 months ago
CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

There is no bias. She never could reach the level of her peers when she was active. Then she got busy with reality shows judging and yoga stuff. And then Raj Kundra really pulled down whatever little image she had left with his shenanigans

Ab jaakar she is doing something moderately substantial. It will take some special role to get noticed by audience for her comeback roles because she was not exactly a 'star' and had average talent.

Sukhee was very run of the mill. Nothing like Bobby Deol in Asharam which made him standout and have people take notice

sulu82 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: diasingh2

Hey... looks like some comments against Shilpa have bothered you. Don't mind them. It´s not worth it.

She worked all the major stars in the 90s and was quite a popular face in the 2000s. Her best work is Baazigar, Dhadkan and Life In A Metro.

I thought post her Big Brother win in 2007 and that song in Dostana in 2008smiley4 (where she looked super hot), she would start her second innings and finally utilize her looks and talent. Sadly she started focusing on IPL and reality shows smiley24. Sadly, that´s how the GenZ generation remember her.

Her "comebacks" haven´t worked so far also (Hungama 2, Nikamma). I liked Sukhee though... and I hope the sequel does happen smiley20

Shilpa is not a strong actor, but she is one of those few 90s actresses who have maintained themselves very well (thanks to her fitness and yoga routine.smiley32) I am surprised that she isn't paired opposite stars like Akshay, considering they reconciled years ago and they make a terrific pair onscreen.

Looks like, she is not valued by the industry as an actor because she is not from a film lineage. Her public image also tainted due to Raj Kundra.

Baazigar completed 30 years this year, there should've been a collab or some kind of celebration, with SRK but they did nothing. I bet she is on par with Deepika in terms on looks even at this age.

Sukhee and Indian Police Force are finally the steps in right direction. Hope she gets her due, but maybe is its too late? I hope not.

Bold. How about Phir Milenge? it is also her best work.

Raijeera thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Millenium Squad

She is fine.

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

There is a real bias against star Shilpa Shetty. Anytime threads of hers are created here, some users complain that her name is circulating too much for their taste.

The latest insult is that the Indian Police Force thread doesn't even feature her name in the title. Why is such a great star like Shilpa being erased like this? She is the female lead and deserves as much respect as Rohit Shetty and Sid if not more. She's certainly a better actor and bigger star.

I'm glad at least one fan of Shilpa's exists. It's because she's caught up in crimes reserved for men, so any fans she had are only for her exercise ventures. She's kind of like Chrissy Teigan?

She suffered the Rashmika Mandanna curse of being very annoying to audiences despite her emoting/dancing being pretty good! In the 90s she never really made a huge lasting impact. Sukhee itself was not awful compared to other male stars and their comebacks.

Shilpa has done some decent tamil work too, you should watch some of that. Life in a Metro level acting.

Shilpa had the curse of an awful mother who made her go into every career possible to make it, and she was also heavily cheated by Akshay. Her personality and career never recovered so she keeps kissing @ss to the rich socialities of Bollywood (Sunita Kapoor, Farah and all) - impressively made a great fitness comeback before her husband lost it all.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: diasingh2

Thank you for the kind words. I just found it shocking that her presence is being so steadily erased and in multiple pages of that thread, nobody had said even one word about it.

I've always liked her too. Has Shilpa ever worked with Aamir Khan? I can't think of any movie they did together but you're right that she worked with just about every other major star. I think what hurt Shilpa is that her first quality role was Dhadkan, and she only started getting better roles after that. But the problem was that a new generation of actresses had already debuted by then whereas Shilpa was still viewed as a contemporary of actresses who were already retired/retiring like Karishma, Kajol, Raveena, etc.

I agree with you on the three movies you listed although I would also add Rishtey (even though it's a supporting role) and Phir Milenge. She's much better than she's given credit for. Maybe she's not the greatest actress in the world but the acting she does seems effortless. As you said, a great deal of that is how well she's maintained herself. At the Archies premiere, most of her contemporaries were there and they all look visibly aged whereas Shilpa was only in tight jeans and a crop top with a visible midriff and she's looking superb. Like she came straight out of Shut Up & Bounce.

I'm guessing she wasn't able to snag quality roles post-Dostana. Item songs rarely help an actress make a comeback for leading roles in films. I think Big Brother and the controversy over it (plus the Richard Gere kiss controversy) actually ended up hurting her in the long run in terms of being a film actress because she had already entered the zone of reality TV show actress by then.

The Sukhee sequel has been confirmed by Netflix so the first one must have been deemed successful enough. I never watched Nikamma but the reviews were so bad that I thought I would be better off avoiding it.

Akshay working with Raveena again makes me hope he'll work with Shilpa once more too. I used to like Akshay a lot in the 90s/2000s but his last decade or so I have not cared for his star image and personal views. Working with actresses literally young enough to be his daughter hasn't warmed him to me either so I'm glad he's open now to working with his classic actresses.

Most actresses who do not come from film families end up struggling after their prime years. And the ones who want to remain relevant marry other actors or into film families specifically to remain relevant. I agree her choice of husband did not help. It also didn't help that Shamita Shetty's career never took off despite a knockout debut in Mohabbatein.

I agree that Shilpa and Deepika actually look more or less the same in terms of age. I would love to see her and SRK reunite onscreen since their only work together was Bazigaar where she's the side heroine and killed off. They looked good together in OSO's Deewangi Deewangi. I'd rather see Shahrukh work with age appropriate actresses that he's never worked with before or rarely worked with (Shilpa, Urmila, Mahima, Amisha, etc.) than using new younger actresses.

I don't know if she'll ever be a box office star again but like other 90s actresses, it seems like OTT will be her new home and so far at least Sukhee has put her on the map for that.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: VimalPanMasala

I'm glad at least one fan of Shilpa's exists. It's because she's caught up in crimes reserved for men, so any fans she had are only for her exercise ventures. She's kind of like Chrissy Teigan?

She suffered the Rashmika Mandanna curse of being very annoying to audiences despite her emoting/dancing being pretty good! In the 90s she never really made a huge lasting impact. Sukhee itself was not awful compared to other male stars and their comebacks.

Shilpa has done some decent tamil work too, you should watch some of that. Life in a Metro level acting.

Shilpa had the curse of an awful mother who made her go into every career possible to make it, and she was also heavily cheated by Akshay. Her personality and career never recovered so she keeps kissing @ss to the rich socialities of Bollywood (Sunita Kapoor, Farah and all) - impressively made a great fitness comeback before her husband lost it all.

Chrissy Teigen was never an actress though and she's mostly just known for being married to John Legend and being annoying on social media. She had to literally disappear from social media because she was exposed for bullying others.

She's closer in terms to Jane Fonda as being a successful actress who branched off into exercise except Shilpa was never as big as Jane Fonda.

Sukhee reminded me a lot of English Vinglish. Not as good maybe but not that far below it it.

I've never seen her Tamil movies but I enjoyed her in Life in a Metro so I'll have to check those out.

I didn't know she had more or less a stage mom. I know about Akshay though and he seemed pretty horrible to all the actresses he was linked to in the 90s (plus past 90s). I think there were rumors that he was even linked to Rekha, even while he was allegedly with Raveena. Raveena denied this, casting the blame on Rekha saying she was out to get Akshay but he wouldn't even look in her direction, but Raveena would be a biased source here.

diasingh2 thumbnail

In an ideal world, Dhadkan would have promoted her to the big leagues.... like Rangeela did to Urmila's career or what Raja Hindustani did to Karisma's career. But it didn't happen because of her luck multiple other factors.

2000 was a big year with so many new faces debuting, and actresses like Rani,Preeti, Aish started rising upward. Like you said, since Shilpa had already been working for 7-8 years by then, the industry and the audience just expected her to pack her bags and leave like other heroines.

But kudos to her that she stayed, transformed herself physically and kept working. I remember she started to look vastly different from her 90s-self in the 2000s, and she has managed to look the same since then (and she looks even better now). I still think 2007-2008 was a perfect time for her to reinvent herself, as the industry was entering a new phase and she had the benefit of her killer looks + Big Brother popularity over her 90s contemporaries. She could have milked all that into getting good projects and keeping her relevant.

But she decided to focus on being a fitness icon, judging/hosting reality shows, IPL..and eventually got married to Raj Kundra. Her marriage with Kundra was never hyped (unlike every other wedding today). And her association to Kundra has rather harmed her image. I guess having a popular/successful or insider husband would have helped her. If you think about it, Shilpa has had a longer career than Anushka Sharma, but Anushka being married to Virat will always be a bigger name than Shilpa. And anushka will always. considered "relevant". That Richard Gere controversy also made her more of a meme than a victim, since every crass comedy show at that time made fun of that incident rather than sympathizing with her situation.

Shamita also never got her due, despite being a YRF debut. But she had no strong backing. YRF is not like Dharma in that sense. They give you good debut, but after that you are on your own.

Coming back to Shilpa's work, the 3 films that I have mentioned are his most popular work, but she has worked in numerous other good and bad projects. Yes, Shilpa has not worked with Aamir. But you would be surprised to know that Shamita was offered Lagaan but she turned it down for Mohabatein

As far as the future is concerned, Apart from Sukhee and Indian Police Force, I sincerely hope Shikpa reprises her role in Apne 2. It would be a mistake to not work with the Deols at this point, considering they reinvented and made such a strong comeback in 2023. I wonder if Katrina would return for Apne 2. Btw Akshay might be returning with Raveena, but looks like he will have Disha Patani as his love interest.smiley39I would rather watch Akshay, Salman, Ajay etc. with actresses like Raveena and Shilpa... than these new girls.

Edited by diasingh2 - 9 months ago
diasingh2 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sulu82

Bold. How about Phir Milenge? it is also her best work.

I haven't watched it but planning to watch it now.