Fichain #1: Start Date 14 Jun |Completed|

ExoticDisaster thumbnail
Posted: 10 months ago

Creator - ExoticDisaster

“All the best,” She wished him as she adjusted his bow tie. 

“To you too,” He replied, fixing the hair that was falling on her forehead. He put it behind her ears. 

Aryan and Chahat have been best of friends since childhood. From going to school to joining business, they have gone through everything together. And today at the age of 21 and 21, they were going on their first date, together. No, not with each other, with the ones they set up each other with. 

Reaching the restaurant, they split when they saw their dates waiting on distinct tables. 

Every second he sat with her, Aryan felt uneasy. He couldn’t help looking towards his best friend, who was smiling and laughing to every stupid joke her date cracked. How can she enjoy while he was having a hard time here? 

Shaking his head as if clearing his thoughts, he tried concentrating on the girl sitting in front of him. 

After dinner, Aryan excused himself and walked towards the washroom. While washing his hands, when he saw Vikram, Chahat's date. 

“Hey Dude! Thanks a lot for setting me up with her.”

Aryan smiled and couldn’t stop himself asking, “You like her?”

“Of course!” he answered as if Aryan had asked a stupid question. “I am going to screw her tonight for sure!”

Aryan rooted at his spot as he registered what Vikram said. That moron was going to… he needed to stop Chahat from leaving with him! Literally running out, he looked towards the table they were sitting on. They were not there. Shit. 

Completely forgetting that he had to drop his date at her place, he rushed towards the parking area. He sighed a relief seeing Vikram's car still parked. But where were they? Inside the car? 

Aryan slammed open the door of the car and found that Chahat and Vikram were going to kiss. 

“What happened, Aryan?” She asked, mentally hitting him for ruining her almost first kiss. 

"Get out of the car this instance, you both. Vikram, be a nice guy and stay away from her. And Chahat, get your damn hand off him!" Aryan shouted angrily taking both of them aback. They both stepped out of the car, shocked. 

“What’s wrong man?” Vikram asked. 

“Get out of here. I don’t want to see you anywhere near her!”

________

"Chahat..open the goddamn door or I’ll break it," Aryan knocked on Chahat's bedroom door as sat on the bed, angrier as ever. 

"Yeah do it. All you know is how to break. You broke my relationship even before it started," Chahat yelled as Aryan rolled his eyes. 

“First open the door then I’ll tell you why I did that.”

She went to open the door but didn’t look at him, and walk back inside. 

"He told on my face that he was so going screw you tonight,” Aryan said as he followed Chahat inside. “And I don't want you to lose your virginity to such a douchebag like him. He was going to sleep with you," and then leave you – he wanted to say but didn’t. She was already angry. He didn’t want to hurt her more. 

"That clearly means he was attracted towards me. Every girl is crazy for you, Aryan. You are cute guy, rich and charming but me, I am skinny, double battery…" 

"You are beautiful," He said as if stating a fact. 

"Oh yes, I am outrageously ugly!" 

"And I am pregnant, Chahat." He replied making her frown. 

"You know that's scientifically not possible. And why would you say that?" She asked confused. 

"I thought we were stating things that are practically impossible. You being ugly is impossible," He chuckled while she glared at him.

"How many times have I told you not to use your flirty lines with me? That too the ones you google. Next time you do it, I’ll kick your ass." 

“Okay, only if you promise that you’ll never go out with douchebag again.”

“Fine,” she sighed. “But, I hate you, okay?” she said still angry. 

“Okay,” he replied as he kissed her cheek. “Good night, Chahat.”

He left the room and Chahat shook her head on him, smiling when her eyes fell on the photo frame hung on the wall. It was of her and Aryan, captured on their wedding day, 4 years ago. 

Edited by ExoticDisaster - 10 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ExoticDisaster thumbnail

Collations/Claim of next segments

Segment #2 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #3 - LizzieBennet

Segment #4 - DreamOfEndless

Segment#5 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #6 - Loving2Missing2

Segment #7 - ExoticDisaster

Segment #8 - DreamofEndless

Segment #9 - Loving2Missing2

Segment #10 - Satrangi_Curls

Segment #11 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #12 - ExoticDisaster

Segment #13 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #14DreamofEndless

Segment #15 - LizzieBennet

Segment #16 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #17 - DreamOfEndless

Segment #18 - Satrangi_Curls

Segment #19 - oh_nakhewaali

Segment #20 - LizzieBennet

Segment #21 - DreamofEndless

Segment #22 - Satrangi_curls

Segment #23 - oh_nakhrewaali

Segment #24 - Satrangi_Curls

Segment #25 - ExoticDisaster

Segment #26 - LizzieBennet

Segment #27 - Satrangi_Curls

Segment #28 (Last) - ExoticDisaster

Character Sketches

Aryan Sareen: 

21-year-old Business student in college. Is best friends with Chahat Johari, they've been childhood friends and possibly family friends. Is an only child & has lost his mom when he was 9 years old. His marriage was set up with Chahat by mutual agreement between both sets of parents. He comes out as gay before his father when he's 16. His father's reaction is to slap him and a year later fixes his marriage with Chahat as a ‘fix it’ approach to his coming out. They almost go through with the ceremony (they have a wedding pic to prove it), but Chahat's brother, Prateek intervenes in time and they're (& their parents) saved from an illegal marriage.  

His father, Sudhakar Sareen, hasn't spoken to him since but continues to fund his education.

That incident, along with his father's non-acceptance has scarred Aryan and he hasn't come out to anyone. He and Chahat are room-mates while they attend the same college. To keep up pretenses, he agrees to date girls but has a secret Grindr profile. He also harbours a crush on another classmate, Saheel.

Aryan is doing well in school. He is academically good, is the General Secretary (GS), is good-looking & popular with girls, and is also an animal lover (he feeds stray dogs).

His name is linked with Saheel's by someone spray painting on the college cafeteria wall. He punches another guy, Vikram, and is called up to the Dean's office and his father has been contacted. His father yells at him over the phone when he finds out & Aryan says he did it to protect 'his girl' Chahat. 

He has been outed now to the whole college. Rhea seems to hold a grudge against him because he ignored her on their date, & Vikram because he thwarted his efforts to bang Chahat.

Chahat Johari: 

21-year-old, nerdy, virgin (hasn't kissed anyone yet) and is also looking to date. BFFs with Aryan and rooms with him. Seems relieved at the fallout of their wedding and therefore does not have romantic feelings for Aryan. She seems to have low self-esteem about her looks, she wears thick glasses and sits on the front bench because she cannot see the board and therefore has earned the nickname 'nerd' but is also a good student academically. She also harbours a crush on Saheel and wants to date him. She's shocked when Aryan is outed and also hurt he did not confide in her but seems supportive in the aftermath. She's there with him when his father calls and yells at him after the vandalism occurs. She has been trying to set up Aryan with girls - she hooked him up with the most popular girl in school-Rhea and is stunned when she blocks him. 

She asks Aryan to set her up with Saheel but it now remains to be explored what she thinks of Saheel and Aryan's names being linked together. 

Her older brother Prateek is arriving to pick her up from college after the fiasco - she's involved because Aryan & Vikram get into a scuffle because of her (Vikram has been wanting to sleep with Chahat but gets thwarted by Aryan and it's possible he holds a grudge against both of them).

Saheel Anand: Silent and down to earth, Chahat and Aryan both have a crush on him & he returns Aryan's crush. He is ready to accept his liking towards Aryan the instant Aryan is ready to come out. Saheel seems to be a closeted queer. He is uncomfortable when Vikram derides Aryan. Thought Aryan & Chahat were in love until the spray-paint reveal. Despite in love with Aryan, he fears of a heartbreak. 

Edited by ExoticDisaster - 9 months ago
ExoticDisaster thumbnail

Segment #1 - ExoticDisaster

“All the best,” She wished him as she adjusted his bow tie. 

“To you too,” He replied, fixing the hair that was falling on her forehead. He put it behind her ears. 

Aryan and Chahat have been best of friends since childhood. From going to school to joining business, they have gone through everything together. And today at the age of 21 and 21, they were going on their first date, together. No, not with each other, with the ones they set up each other with. 

Reaching the restaurant, they split when they saw their dates waiting on distinct tables. 

Every second he sat with her, Aryan felt uneasy. He couldn’t help looking towards his best friend, who was smiling and laughing to every stupid joke her date cracked. How can she enjoy while he was having a hard time here? 

Shaking his head as if clearing his thoughts, he tried concentrating on the girl sitting in front of him. 

After dinner, Aryan excused himself and walked towards the washroom. While washing his hands, when he saw Vikram, Chahat's date. 

“Hey Dude! Thanks a lot for setting me up with her.”

Aryan smiled and couldn’t stop himself asking, “You like her?”

“Of course!” he answered as if Aryan had asked a stupid question. “I am going to screw her tonight for sure!”

Aryan rooted at his spot as he registered what Vikram said. That moron was going to… he needed to stop Chahat from leaving with him! Literally running out, he looked towards the table they were sitting on. They were not there. Shit. 

Completely forgetting that he had to drop his date at her place, he rushed towards the parking area. He sighed a relief seeing Vikram's car still parked. But where were they? Inside the car? 

Aryan slammed open the door of the car and found that Chahat and Vikram were going to kiss. 

“What happened, Aryan?” She asked, mentally hitting him for ruining her almost first kiss. 

"Get out of the car this instance, you both. Vikram, be a nice guy and stay away from her. And Chahat, get your damn hand off him!" Aryan shouted angrily taking both of them aback. They both stepped out of the car, shocked. 

“What’s wrong man?” Vikram asked. 

“Get out of here. I don’t want to see you anywhere near her!”

________

"Chahat..open the goddamn door or I’ll break it," Aryan knocked on Chahat's bedroom door as sat on the bed, angrier as ever. 

"Yeah do it. All you know is how to break. You broke my relationship even before it started," Chahat yelled as Aryan rolled his eyes.

“First open the door then I’ll tell you why I did that.”

She went to open the door but didn’t look at him, and walk back inside. 

"He told on my face that he was so going screw you tonight,” Aryan said as he followed Chahat inside. “And I don't want you to lose your virginity to such a douchebag like him. He was going to sleep with you," and then leave you – he wanted to say but didn’t. She was already angry. He didn’t want to hurt her more. 

"That clearly means he was attracted towards me. Every girl is crazy for you, Aryan. You are cute guy, rich and charming but me, I am skinny, double battery…" 

"You are beautiful," He said as if stating a fact. 

"Oh yes, I am outrageously ugly!" 

"And I am pregnant, Chahat." He replied making her frown. 

"You know that's scientifically not possible. And why would you say that?" She asked confused. 

"I thought we were stating things that are practically impossible. You being ugly is impossible," He chuckled while she glared at him.

"How many times have I told you not to use your flirty lines with me? That too the ones you google. Next time you do it, I’ll kick your ass." 

“Okay, only if you promise that you’ll never go out with douchebag again.”

“Fine,” she sighed. “But, I hate you, okay?” she said still angry. 

“Okay,” he replied as he kissed her cheek. “Good night, Chahat.”

He left the room and Chahat shook her head on him, smiling when her eyes fell on the photo frame hung on the wall. It was of her and Aryan, captured on their wedding day, 4 years ago. 

Segment #2 - oh_nakhrewaali

*tw: homophobia, violence, abusive language*

"Aryan, I missed the first lecture because of you!" Chahat hit Aryan as she got down from the car.

"I had to feed Devsena. Get off my back!" Aryan answered and followed Chahat.

"Then do it on your own time!"

"I would if you'd just let me adopt her!"

"We have one dog in the house. I can't take care of another," Chahat answered. She started sprinting while Aryan dragged his feet to follow her to the class.

Professor Bansal just rolled her eyes and continued with her lesson as Aryan stepped in. He wanted to flip her off, but his internal scores were in her hands, and being the GS of the college meant he had to behave. He sighed as his eyes wandered across the almost packed class, and he occupied the last seat while Chahat took the first bench.

"Nerd!" Aryan muttered, and he giggled. Aryan looked at Saheel, who was writing whatever Professor Bhansal was dictating.

"Why do you annoy her so much!"

"It's fun bro. Her nose gets red when she is pissed," Aryan answered as he became aware of the distance between them. There was none, and a small pink shade crept up his neck.

He shifted a little away, and Saheel went back to his notes.

Aryan looked away, forcing his body to not look at Saheel. He tried to think of Rhea, his date from the last night, who had blocked him.

Damn! He messed up!

Thankful that his mind was not stuck on Saheel, he checked his phone, and Rhea had still blocked him.

"How was your date?"

"Meh! Vikram was a jerk, so I kind of got overprotective of Chahat and forgot about her."

"And you say you aren't in love with Chahat."

"Of course, I am not!" Aryan answered, and Saheel rolled his eyes.

"And I am in love with KRK!" Saheel answered, and Aryan made a face at him.

"But if I had to, Vicky Kaushal ain't that bad," Saheel said, as an afterthought, and Aryan almost lost his voice.

What if Saheel had to choose? Would he choose Aryan? Or would he have to push his feelings in a ball and throw the ball to the deepest corners of his heart?

"You aren't gay! You can't be! You are just mistaken!" His dad had said five years.

"Dad, please, just listen to me!"

"You will stop with this nonsense. Your marriage was fixed with Chahat before you were born. What do I tell the Joharis? That we have... A gay son?"

"Yes! I am gay, and you have to accept it!"

He never got over how much the slap hurt.

Segment #3 - LizzieBennet

“Remind me why you still have this eyesore in your room?” Aryan grimaced at the pic on Chahat’s wall. 

“To remind me to never make bad choices again!” she quipped, sticking her tongue out at him. Aryan shuddered and raised his hand in a hi-five to Chahat that she returned.

“Dude! What if your brother hadn’t intervened in time? We would be married instead of just rooming together!”

“Yup! And our parents would be in jail!”

“We were minors! What were your parents smoking?” 

“Same thing your dad was!” 

Aryan fell silent, not willing to admit to her that his dad’s decision to get them married was a knee-jerk reaction to his coming out. His dad had thought he would get magically ‘fixed’ after marriage. That disaster had been successfully averted 4 years ago and he and Chahat were now roomies while they went to Business school together. 

After having lost his mom and not having any siblings of his own, his dad had been the person he had trusted most and he had let Aryan down badly. He had lost his nerve then and hadn’t come out to anyone, including Chahat. Despite the fact that she was his best friend in the whole world.  

Aryan ran a tired hand through this hair and turned to his laptop.

“Bansal is worse than Umbridge, man! She’s really got something against me!”

Chahat let out a huff and slammed her text book.

“Stop being dramatic! You’re gonna ace that assignment and you know it! Tell me, how does it feel to be good at everything, dude? GS, academic ace, college heartthrob, feeder of street dogs! Is there anything you can’t do?”

She rolled her eyes, flipping him off and he gave her a wry grin. He loved riling up Chahat, but she couldn't be more wrong.

“Look who’s talking.. Nerd! And some heartthrob! You’re looking at a guy who got blocked by the hottest girl in college!” he said self-mockingly as Chahat’s eyes rounded in disbelief.

“I only sit on the front bench cause I find it hard to read the board from the back and you know it!” she said pointing at her thick frames and then clicked her tongue. 

“Rhea really blocked you? Wow, you must have pissed her off! She’s had her eye on you this whole sem! Sheesh! I set you up on Tindr, get you hooked up with Rhea, and you spend your date gatekeeping me and Vikram! Not done, bro!” 

She shook her head at him in mock disapproval. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were jealous!”

He disguised his guilt with a sniff. “Jealous! Of you and Vikram! Hah! Not likely. I was just looking out for you, didn’t want you to lose your V-card to that scumbag!” 

“You’re not my dad, Aryan! I’ll decide whom to lose my V-card to! Stop blocking me, dude!” 

Aryan grinned. He could tell she wasn’t that annoyed. 

“You can do better than him and you know it!”

She screwed up her nose. 

“I’m jealous though.”  

His brows shot up and disappeared into his hairline.

“This whole semester I’ve been trying to get this guy’s attention, and have probably made a fool of myself before him a dozen times and yet you and he are so comfortable together without even trying!”

Aryan felt his stomach drop. She couldn’t be referring to….

“If only Saheel would look at me!” 

She looked wistful for a moment and then opened her text book with a heavy sigh.

“You… you like Saheel?” Aryan’s voice was choked.

She nodded emphatically. “He’s kind and not a jerk like most other guys in our class. He really listens to you when you talk, you know. You know how sexy that is? And have you seen him play? No wonder he’s been winning all those football games for our college! He even takes the time to coach those street kids on the weekends! Not to mention how good-looking he is!”

Chahat got a dreamy look on her face that made Aryan’s stomach plummet further.

“Now if only you would set me up with him, I’d know you were truly my best friend,” she pouted.

Shit. What was he to do? How was he supposed to set up his best friend with the guy he had a crush on? Did Saheel even like girls? He had never had a serious girlfriend as far as Aryan could tell and he had confessed to liking Vicky Kaushal, but then he had also told Aryan to back off from teasing Chahat. Did he like her then? Or was he just being kind? How could he be sure? And how could he open up to Chahat when he hadn’t even mustered up the courage to tell her about his secret Grindr profile?

He was pondering over the same matter when he walked into college the next day and saw a group of people huddled around the cafeteria entrance. When they spotted him approaching, they began giving him strange, intense looks. Aryan hurriedly looked down. Phew! He had remembered to put on pants. His shirt seemed alright. Was there something stuck on his face? He swiped a hand across his cheeks. Then the crowd parted slowly and his eyes shot wide open in horror as he took in his name spray painted in neon green across the cafeteria wall. But that wasn’t the worst. It was the rest of the message the vicious vandal had scribed..

Segment #4 - DreamOfEndless

TW: swear words, homophobic slur, violence

And suddenly, Aryan couldn’t breathe. As if those cruel sniping words had jumped out of the wall and gripped his throat. He knew he was gay. But never had another insult made him so ashamed of himself.

Last time Aryan felt this way was because of his own dad.

"Dad, please, just listen to me! I can’t marry Chahat. I can’t ruin her life knowing the truth.”

“No, we had promised the Joharis. Besides,” Sudhakar had continued in a cold quite voice, “this is exactly what you need. You are 17. I know what boys your age want.”

Aryan was disgusted. Did his dad take him for some pervert?

“Dad! She is my best friend. She would never be anything more. I have always had crushes on boys.”

“SILENCE!” Sudhakar roared. “Do you hear what you are saying, Aryan? Do you understand what this means? You will be treated like a vermin for the rest of your life. A homo is nothing but a man who would never man up. Either the wedding happens today, or I’ll forget that I have a son.”

The gravity of the words had hit Aryan making him feel the pain of losing a parent all over again. The wedding didn’t happen, and Aryan never saw his father for the last four years. Of course, Sudhakar continued to pay for his only son’s education, but the father-son bond was severed.

“You know, Saheel,” Vikram said loudly while Saheel looked visibly uncomfortable at being addressed, “When Aryan interrupted my date with Chahat, I thought he was jealous of me. But now I know, that he was jealous of Chahat. I mean, who knew, the popular Aryan Sareen was on Grindr!”

Saheel looked more uncomfortable while Vikram snickered. Aryan could bet that Vikram had something to do with the neon green words on the wall, but he couldn't fathom why he was dragging an innocent Saheel into this mess.

Meanwhile, Chahat had reached the cafeteria with her friends after her class. The scene that was unfolding before her clearly shocked her and she jumped to the defence of her best friend.

“Chuck off, Vikram! This is Aryan’s personal matter.”

Aryan became abashed with embarrassment. He had lied to his best friend and she was defending him. Maybe he should have come clean to her. But after how his dad had treated him, how could he trust anyone for that matter?

She continued, “But Vikram, why does it matter to you? Are you interested in him? By the way, how did you know that he has a Grindr profile? Unless you also…”

Saheel looked at Chahat and gulped.

“You switch!” Vikram raised his hand and turned towards Chahat to attack her. His ego had blinded him to the fact that he was about to inflict violence on a girl in public.

The crowd of students in the cafeteria was already recording a video in their phone.

“Not on my watch, you jerk!” said Aryan. 

A blow landed on Vikram’s nose. He stumbled and fell to the ground. Vikram had no right to question Aryan or hurt his friend.

Chahat had tears in her eyes. They were best friends, he was almost going to get married to her and yet he didn’t trust her enough to tell her his truth. She began to slowly walked away but she stopped.

Professor Bansal was there. She had seen Aryan deliver a blow on Vikram's nose. Aryan was totally screwed.

“What is happening here?” Professor Bansal asked. Pin drop silence.

“Who damaged the college property in this way?" she asked again as she showed the cafeteria wall.

No one spoke a word.

“Fine. Don't say anything. Vikram, Aryan and Chahat meet in the dean's office now. I also want to talk to your parents.”

Aryan's dad hadn't seen him for the last four years. What would he tell?

Segment #5 - Oh_nakhrewaali

*tw: swearword*

Chahat was so angry that she was ready to kill. She waited for Professor Bhansal to leave and turned to yell at Vikram, but then she saw Aryan, just staring at the spray-painted word. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth to yell at everyone for staring at Aryan like he was some freak when Saheel spoke.

"Guys, the show is over, move along," He said and slightly nudged at a junior, who looked away.

Saheel looked at Chahat and then at Aryan. She nodded and held her friend's hand. He looked up at her, and Chahat's heart broke. He looked so lost, it was as if some other man was looking at her, not her Aryan.

"We should go. The dean must be expecting us," She whispered, and he nodded. Chahat glared at Vikram before she lead Aryan out of the cafeteria.

"You ok?" Chahat asked as they walked the long corridor, and he shrugged.

"I know you and your dad haven't spoken since..."

"I'll just soldier through, don't worry about it."

She squeezed his shoulder, and the two continued walking. 

"Is it, is it true?" Chahat asked him. She knew it was a horrible time to ask, but she was curious and a little disappointed in him that he didn't trust her.

He nodded.

"I am sorry I didn't tell you."

"Hey, don't worry about it! It kind of stings that you didn't trust me, but coming out is a big deal. It takes a lot of courage."

"It's scary, to be honest," Aryan said. They stopped walking and sneaked into an empty classroom. He sat on the floor, and she leaned on the wall next to him.

"I will kick that bast*rd's ass!" She muttered to herself.

"Then it will be a pancake!' He answered with a small grin on his face. Chahat rolled her eyes. They looked at each other and laughed.

"I wish Dad didn't come. I can't face him. He said the word all those years ago, and I am so scared to face him," Aryan said after a few seconds and covered his face. Chahat sat next to him and hugged him.

He tried in his best friend's arms while she hugged him. When he was tired, he pulled away.

Before she could say anything, her phone pinged. It had been buzzing for a while now, but she had ignored it. Seeing her mom's name as the caller-id, she received it.

"Chahat, baby, are you ok? Your HOD called. She said something about you getting into a fight. She asked us to meet her tomorrow at noon."

"Mom, I am ok, but you'll have to come to college. I'll call you later."

"Ok, bye, love you." Kavya Johari disconnected the call when Aryan's phone rang.

"It's my dad," Aryan said, and passed her his phone. Chahat held his hands as he took a few deep breaths and answered the call.

He was going to hear his father's voice for the first time in four years.

Segment #6 - Loving2Missing2

TW: violence, slang, suicide

"Put it on speaker. " Chahat whispered as she pressed the hand she held with care. More than the air entering his lungs, her touch gave him the courage.

“What is this that I am hearing from your dean?.... You got into a fight with another man? Are you man enough to do that? …. You are a VERMIN!” Sudhakar's crescendo reached an angry octave on the last word.

Aryan’s eyes shimmered with tears of hurt and disappointment…. A castaway feeling that crept like a snake and subjugated his entire being! Chahat sensed his depression and wrapped her arm around him like a warm shelter giving him strength to respond.

“Please come tomorrow at noon to college.”

“First answer me, why you got into a fight?” Sudhakar kept roaring in his usual style.

“I was protecting my girl!”

Sudhakar was taken aback by the steely quiet in Aryan’s voice. First time in his life, he was at a loss of words.

Sahil stood at the classroom door, his eyes red with anger, his fists curled in retaliation.

“Your girl, huh? SHE is your girl?” The fist connected with Aryan’s cheek with the force of a hidden storm.

Blood in his mouth, Aryan stared aghast at Sahil. Something had happened to his heart. He could see it in the red of Sahil’s eyes. His bench partner through the schoolyear whom Aryan loved secretly; but was always left wondering.

Sahil had felt lava being poured on his skin when he had read the vicious writing on the wall…

Aryan Koochikoo Sahil. Lemme bareback, baby!

He had always wondered why flexed muscles of Vicky Koushal made his blood rush. He had known he liked sitting next to Aryan, not in pure honest-to-God friendship. In all these years, he had not been able to put a finger on these sudden flashes. And then, he wondered why he wanted to touch Chahat, feel her velvety skin under his body. He longed to take her double-battery out and kiss her eyes.

He had not been able to fathom the pleasure he felt at the instantaneous fantasy that the bareback stuff had evoked in his mind. He had gulped it down when Chahat had challenged Vikram hoping she didn’t notice his pleasure. After Professor Bansal had left, he had used his long-practised control and managed the scene. But, seeing his name flash in neon had felt like becoming naked in public.

“Then, why is my name tagged with you?” Sahil was ready to hit the next blow but Chahat fell between the two men attempting to hold back Sahil. He stopped just short of hitting her face and curbed his anger realising she was almost hugging him.

“It’s not his fault, Sahil!” She urged passionately trying to stop the man towering above her. Oh! He was so manly! His muscles, toned by the sports practice, were now flexed showing their strength. Suddenly, she felt weak in her legs.

Out of their own volition, Sahil’s arms went around Chahat holding her frame in his caring embrace.“Are you okay?” He was genuinely concerned.

Chahat nodded silently as she wondered whether this was the right moment to tell him that she loved him. But she couldn’t risk shocking him and losing that great feel of his hug.

Aryan watched stricken…… his heart plummeting…..the one name he had posted on Grindr with true love…….Sahil!.......Hugging his best friend with so much love, so much tenderness?....... What was he supposed to feel now? Happy for both his great friends or sad for himself?

Saahil felt pressure building behind his sternum looking at Aryan. Could he ever tell him that he had felt angry when Aryan called Chahat his girl….. Because he had secretly wanted Aryan for himself….. And that’s why he had been crosschecking whether Aryan loved Chahat.

In her office, Professor Bansal was staring at the picture in her table drawer. Sheila, her first love! The love she had lost long ago when Sheila committed suicide upon family’s finding out about their relation. In an attempt to forget her loss, Meera Bansal had thrown herself into her studies and thereafter her academic career. Over the years, she knew she felt different when she patted the backs of female students or they came and hugged her to say a thank you or a goodbye. However, since Chahat had joined; the memories of Sheila had come rushing back because Chahat was an exact replica. Every time, Chahat sat on the front bench, she had wondered whether Chahat was Sheila reborn. But Chahat was always seen with Aryan, the two tugging around like best buddies and also known to be roomies.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Vikram had given her a golden chance. He had connected Aryan with Sahil to her surprise. The way Chahat stood up trying to defend him had actually given Aryan away. Wisely, Bansal had called Vikram, Aryan and Chahatto Dean’s office excluding Sahil. She wasn’t sure whether Sahil would be willing to share his room with Aryan; but about Aryan she was very sure. A shrewd move would free Chahat and of course, she would give her lofty offer to accommodate Chahat in her room for Chahat’s own protection.

The meeting with Dean was due in five minutes.  As a respected professor, she held all the cards now!  

Segment #7 - Exotic Disaster

Chahat tossed and turned on the bed. She might have stood strong in front of the whole school in support of Aryan but deep down, she was sad. She was cool with Aryan being gay, but she didn’t like the way she found out about it. She would have been so much happier if he, himself would have told her. Now she understood why was he forced to marry her at such a young age. His father knew. That’s why he forced him. 

The day’s event kept revolving in her mind. She was worried about how their other friends and the students of the school were going to behave with Aryan. It had not been a nice day, the worse was when Saheel hit Aryan. 

Saheel. The sadness in his eyes, the concern in his voice flashed in front of her eyes. Chahat might be crushing over him for months now, but she never thought that someone other than her brother Prateek and best friend Aryan would genuinely care for her. She loved her mother but she could never forgive her for trying to marry her off when she was underage. And with Saheel, she had started to see a future. 

_____

Aryan hit the punching bag with all his force. He had never been so angry before, not even when he father disregarded him and tried to forcefully marry him off with Chahat. But today, he felt hurt, felt disheartened, felt humiliating. To add to his woes, Saheel hit him because that ba*ta*d Vikram dragged his name into all this. 

He used to cherish the smallest moments with Saheel. They sat together, ate together, got punished together. And today seeing him so angry, his heart ached. Aryan started punching the bag harder remembering how Saheel had pulled Chahat into in arms and showed concern for her while he was nose was bleeding. Was this going to be a heartbreak for him? Or with Saheel, he could see a future? 

______

Saheel buried his head inside the book but he didn’t read a word. Whenever he saw the letter 'A', his thoughts turned towards Aryan. He regretted hitting Aryan today. He knew Aryan and Chahat were best friends. He knew they lived in the same house, but still he felt jealous. Since the time he had known about attraction and feelings, he had felt it towards guys. No-towards Aryan. 

Aryan listened to him even if he was blabbering nonsense, he laughed with him at his stupid jokes. His smile always took Saheel's breath away. He had liked him since the day they met. But he wasn’t sure how he would react to it. And seeing his comfort level with Chahat, he always thought that they were in love. So he had decided to bury his feelings and tried Grindr only to get the biggest shock of his life – Aryan. He had a dp where his back was facing the camera. But Saheel had recognised him. But he was more shocked when he saw the writing on the wall at school. He was terrified but if once Aryan had said he didn’t mind his name tagged with him, he was ready to confess his liking towards him. But he didn’t do that. He told his dad that Chahat was his girl. And Saheel couldn’t handle his temper. 

But wrote all on the wall and tried to humiliate Aryan? He was determined to find him, no matter with Aryan he had a future or not. 

____

Meera was having a migraine. The day had taken a toll on her, even though she wasn't a part of the whole drama. She knew how he must be feeling, coming out is not easy and outed by someone was worse. No one can ever imagine how that felt. But atleast Aryan was lucky to have Chahat, she was a nice girl so Meera decided looked out for her. Meera had been judgemental about Aryan, she had been dismissive of him and thought that he wasn’t a good influence on the girl. And after past day’s fight, there wasn’t any doubt, they were good for each other.

What Meera Bansal felt for Chahat was surely not love, but she really cared for her a lot. 

Chahat was staring at her book, not reading a word,  when her phone rang.  She picked it seeing her brother's name as the called I’D.

"Pack your bags, I am coming to pick you," Prateek said and disconnected before she could answer. 

Segment #8 - DreamOfEndless

Aryan was strolling on the terrace of his college hostel after dinner. Usually he spent a part of this time with his books. But too much had happened, he just wanted to be alone for sometime and process his feelings. Prateek, Chahat’s brother, had picked her up after the guardians met with the dean. Aryan was happy that Chahat was home and safe. Vikram got suspended for a week for trying to attack Chahat and for bullying Aryan, the students had probably shown the dean the recorded video. Aryan got campus community services for a week as his punishment for punching Vikram.

The most surprising part was that the dean got furious when Aryan’s father revealed about trying to get Chahat married with Aryan. Aryan never thought that dean was such a progressive man, who understood gay rights better than his own dad. His father saw his face after four years and still didn’t talk to him.

Aryan missed Chahat. His BFF was now a day scholar, they won’t be roomies anymore. But the real reason he was strolling on the deserted terrace was because of the guy they both had crush on — Saheel. How would he face him the next day?

He put on a song on his phone and continued to stroll in the cool night breeze.

Tu Mera Koi Na Hoke Bhi Kuch Lage

Tu Mera Koi Na Hoke Bhi Kuch Lage

Kiya Re Jo Bhi Tune Kaise Kiya Re

Jiya Ko Mere Bandh Aise Liya Re

There were soft footsteps behind Aryan, and when he turned to see who it was, blood rushed to his cheeks and he stood there like a deer caught in headlights. It was Saheel. Aryan fumbled with the buttons in his phone and switched off the song. Saheel’s face was unreadable.

“Missing Chahat?” he asked.

Aryan didn’t answer. He didn’t want him to think that the song was for Chahat because the song wasn’t for her.

“I came to say sorry for hitting you yesterday,” Saheel continued.

Aryan became sad at the mention of the fight, how Saheel had pulled Chahat into his arms in front of him. Did Saheel feel nothing for Aryan?

“But I am not sorry for hitting you. You totally deserved it. And FYI, I had been on phone talking to my dad after four years. You had just barged in and interrupted our conversation,” he said.

Aryan hadn’t spoken to his dad for four years, and he couldn’t rebuild their connection because he had lost his temper. Saheel never felt guiltier. What other hurt was Aryan hiding under his confident and popular personality?

“I… I am sorry, Aryan. I didn’t know how much yesterday’s events affected you. Maybe I was only thinking about myself. I am really sorry.”

Aryan’s heart melted at Saheel’s apology. He said, “Apology accepted, I don’t like holding grudges.”

“If it makes you feel any better," said Saheel, "I got punished for my actions. I went and confessed to the dean. He assigned me campus community services for a week as my punishment.”

What!!?? So, Aryan got one week of spending time with Saheel as his punishment.

“I have them too,” said Aryan, keeping any trace of excitement in his voice at bay.

Saheel looked up at Aryan, all the air had left his lungs. He was going to reply that’s great, but who replies that’s great for a punishment. It wasn’t like they were getting an award. Instead, like an idiot who didn’t know how to speak in full sentences, he only said, “Oh!” and he left Aryan on the terrace.

Aryan was very confused by Saheel's reaction. Maybe he didn’t want to spend time with Aryan. Or maybe he was also affected. Oh God, this was so confusing!

____

Meanwhile, Chahat was sleeping peacefully in her home after being pampered by her family with a nice dinner. She shifted in her sleep when her phone pinged with a message – I am watching you. You’ll have to pay.

Chahat was deep in her sleep unknown to the approaching storm. What will she do when she sees the message?

Segment#9 by Loving2Missing2

TW: Sensuality, Lesbian Love, abuse word

Meera lay in her lonely bed clutching the pic of her lost love tightly to her chest. Her tears had dried long back as images of the past moved in front of her eyes like a film. As an aftermath of reliving the painful past, her usual migraine had set in.

-------------------- 

Overwhelmed by her passion for Chahat, she had already planned every step for the dean meeting. The dean being progressive would take every step to avoid LGBT activists’ scandals. Rather, to display all-inclusivity from the university end, allowing Aryan to choose his new room partner. Vikram would be suspended owing to his vandalising act. Chahat could shift with Meera in her quarters till such time that any girl room was available for occupying. She would agree that she was very much inconvenienced to take a partner in her room but she was doing all this in the better interest of the University.

Meera was quite satisfied with her own plan and fantasies rushed back to her lonely heart….. Chahat in her nightgown with low neckline alluring Meera with her beautiful cleavage…… Chahat in the shower…. her marble pristine body…. Water droplets slipping down her velvety skin like pearls sliding over velvet…… Meera crossed her legs in the chair and pressed her thighs together revelling in the tightness of her core.

As she unfolded her legs and was getting up, the drawer fell out dropping the frame of Sheila to ground and shattering it completely. Meera watched flabbergasted as she was just unable to save anything. Hurriedly she picked up the bare pic of Sheila dusting off some remnant glass. Sheila’s soulful eyes held their silent complaint….. Meera clutched it to her heart and burst into tears…..the past unfolding in her mind to uncover hidden pains.

-------------------- 

Jeevan sebhari teri aankhein, Majboor kare jeene ke liye, jeene ke liye…….

The lyrics of the old song resonated in the air…… Today there was quite a hustle-bustle in the Bansal family house…. This happy bubble arose once every year in Raghu and Janaki Bansal’s otherwise content tranquil life ….. Today, their granddaughter Minnie was arriving to spend her summer vacation…. She was Meera for the rest of the world, but for her grandparents, she had always been their cutie-pie Minnie.

“What are you meddling here in the kitchen?” Janaki was vexed as Raghu put his hand under the sink tap where she was washing the veggies for salad.

“Just a minute, Jaan ….. I only need some water for this vase.” Raghu spoke in a quelling tone.

He had always called his wife of fifty-one years Jaan, short of her actual name, as an endearment. Steering through all the ups and downs of his eighty years of life, the endearment had gained truth as she was now truly his life.

“Why Vase?”

“I have got some beautiful red roses from the garden. I’ll put them in this vase in Minnie’s room.”

Raghu and Janaki lived in the lower part of the house and the upper floor bedrooms were used by children whenever they arrived.

“Oh! You’re going to climb the stairs all by yourself with that slipped disk back of yours? ..... I don’t want my Minnie arriving here to rush you to the hospital. I’ll put the vase in Minnie’s room.”

“And with your debilitated eyesight, as if I’ll allow you to climb the stairs by yourself?” Raghu jeered.

Janaki smiled looking into the eyes of her husband. Yes! The two had to live for each other now. She knew her husband’s love would never allow her to climb alone but she was no lesser. Quietly, she held his hand as both slowly climbed the stairs to Minnie’s room.

Minnie had stood outside hearing her grandparents frolicking banter. She had arrived just a while before; this time first accompanied by Sheila.

After enjoying a happy chat and delicious dinner, Meera and Sheila now stood on their balcony while the oldies retired to bed.

“I want you to be really sure, Sheila. I genuinely love you but we shall continue only if you feel the same way. I don’t want to force myself on you, darling!”

“Oh no! You’re never forcing me ….. It’s just that I’m scared our families won’t accept our love.” Sheila hurried to clear any misunderstanding.

Meera cupped her shoulders lovingly. “Families always oppose all kinds of love….. why do you think Laila-Majanu, Heer-Ranjha happened? ..... Don’t worry, Sheila. The creator has made us for each other and there’s nothing wrong because even Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu unified as Hari-Har. So don’t ever feel any guilt in your heart.”

Willingly Sheila hugged Meera tightly almost crushing her, all abashment having flown away. Meera caressed Sheila’s thick hair lovingly. Lips were silent, but bodies spoke of complete devotion.

“I’ll protect you, Sheila. My graduation is just done. My GRE scores have come excellent. I will soon fly to some US university. Your graduation will start now. By the time you graduate, I will have settled properly. You can join me there and we will be safe to live happily ever after.”

Sheila couldn’t express in words how secure she felt with Meera. Meera cupped her cheeks lovingly, such love in her eyes ….. the kind of love having complete range, depth, veracity….. Sheila found Meera’s eyes deep like the ocean. The cognac of her eyes reflected her soul. Meera was the Ocean and Sheila herself the shore perhaps…. Their ebb and flow…..Both wanting to be breached completely.

“Come, let’s dance.” Meera invited her inside holding her hand and put on the music……

Ohhhhh…….My love……. My Darling

Ihunger…… hunger…… for your touch

A long,lonely time
And time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
Godspeed your love to me

The beautiful music of Unchained Melody by Righteous Brothers trilled in as the two loving souls danced….. just holding each other…. Sharing love!

Meera found Sheila beautiful in every inch ….. She longed to drink up the inebriation of her beauty…..  to bring music in every pore of hers… ...desire lain bright and refulgent in two hearts.

Meera kissed Sheila’s forehead marking her as a life partner…… a promise of lifelong love…… Sheila felt the gratification of a married woman’s sindoor……

On the ground floor lying awake in her bed, Janaki was enjoying the music, too. She smiled as she sensed the girls dancing…. adolescence lingering in youth….  ‘The girls are growing.’ She thought to herself.

Meera watched Sheila….. a pulse throbbed at the base of her throat…. slowly Meera’s lips grazed against Sheila’s neck...seeking her permission….. Sheila’s body quivered with desire…. An overwhelming need propelled her……

Sensing Sheila’s need, Meera realised it was time. She spread the petals of roses from the vase on the bed wanting to give Sheila a memorable experience to remember all her life .. She changed the song and walked with Sheila to the bed…..

In lamhonke daaman mein paakeezah se rishte hain.........

Koi Kalama Muhobbat ka doharate Farishtey hain 

Not a single word was uttered….. guiltless vast passion reigned and music flew fromtheir bodies….. Their eyes spoke, their bodies sang, their hands screamed!

A timeless night tiptoed softly in the room to witness the moment of pulchritude!

Naani heard the change of song…… a tumult of unease crept into her mind….. I am worrying unnecessarily…. Girls are just enjoying good music that’s all….. She told herself….. But sleep evaded her.

---------------

Lying in her bed Meera Bansal remembered every detail of her past…… The rose petals crushed on the bed had given away the girls, but the grandparents had progressively supported the girls…..Raghu and Janki had explained to the two girls that pairing was always for a lifetime whether between Raghu-Janki or between Meera-Sheila. The parents had taken a promise of lifelong fidelity from both the girls ……. Few months later, just one small slip had happened and Sheila’s mother had found out…..  A commotion had resulted driving Sheila to leave the world permanently.

The peon had knocked on her door to remind her of the dean meeting but Meera had no interest now, so she excused herself pleading migraine. The dean could decide what to do. Any support Chahat needed, Meera would surely give, but Chahat could never become her love because her one and only love for life had to be Sheila and only Sheila. 

As she gulped some medication, she also swallowed all her desires, her longings…. Her pain! My parents kept my name perfectly, she thought. If that Meera had drunk poison for her love; living every day without her only love was nothing but poison for this Meera.

-------------------------- 

Aryan could not put a finger on what exactly went on in Saheel’s mind. There hadn’t been any need to come out in the open but Saheel out of his strong sense of righteousness had confessed to the dean about his own violence.  And then going further, he apologised for hitting Aryan too.  Perhaps it was this innate nature of Saheel that he was the choice of relation for Aryan. Despite all the confusion, there was a soft but resolved smile on Aryan’s face. Now both had community service for a week starting tomorrow. Would the stars above give them a chance to meet?

Saheel walked silently his eyes buried in the ground. The news about the incident in the cafeteria had spread like wildfire. He was conscious of disdainful looks and scornful gossip of everybody around him as he followed his own way. Perhaps the public would enjoy making further jokes but the Dean and Professor Bansal had already sternly intervened and everybody was wary of the consequences. Whatever happens, I need to do as much damage control as possible. I will stand strong with Aryan……. And of course, Chahat, too!

Before going to bed, Aryan walked to the common men’s room on his floor but in the doorway itself, boys inside screeched and reviled to ban him from entering. Aryan went in search of an empty toilet on another floor. This would remain a problem for a very long time now.

His father had already outcast him and broken all relations. It had taken sheer strong will and confidence to establish himself as the eligible heartthrob of the college but some wrong turn of events and everything was lost. Chahat had not known his truth all these years yet she had supported and befriended him in all these years. Now her brother had arrived and taken her away. Aryan didn’t believe that running away was a solution to any problem, but he knew Chahat had not been able to speak against her brother after the scandal. What was going to happen to Chahat’s finishing the course now? She was his soulmate and bestfriend all these years, he would stand by her always!

Chahat wokeup early morning and first checked her phone. There was a message notification.She wondered whether Saheel or Aryan had messaged her. She clicked on themessage and was left aghast. This baxtxxd Vikram! The first thought in Chahat’smind was to punch him right in his nose. But the number wasn’t Vikram’s. She cross-checkedagain with the number she had taken on the day of her date with Vikram. Thenwho could it be?

Chahatwas a smart, today’s woman and she would not get thwarted by any blackmailer. She dialled that same number again and heard a recorded message in a female voice.

You think you smart? I will kill you!

The phone dropped from Chahat’s trembling hand. Who was this? A female wanting to kill her? Why? Who? She checked that message again.... Someone was watching her... Where? Make her pay? What did this person have in mind?

Just then Prateek came to her room, “Hey princess! Did you sleep well? Mom is calling us for breakfast.”

Chahat could not decide whether she should inform Prateek of the threat she had just received. He was headstrong and would act in a manner that the problem would worsen further. Perhaps, Aryan! He had always protected her. And Saheel had been nice to her, too. Perhaps, it was them together as a triad, Chahat-Saheel-Aryan, against this unknown person.

Chahat followed her brother to the kitchen. “I will return to the University.” She declared with gravity.

“No! You are not safe there! You stay here.” Prateek banged his fist on the table.

Kavya stood helpless looking at her two children. Both were right. Chahat could not miss her classes but Kavya was not sure anymore after the disclosure of Aryan’s truth and then the violence that had followed.

---------------- 

Devsena finished her feed and looked up at her master with jet black soulful eyes. As a routine, Aryan fed her every morning and then cuddled her giving love. But today, her master was oblivious to her. Aryan’s wistful eyes were glued to the other side of the road ….. Saheel was teaching street kids football in the park……Somehow Saheel sensed someone’s eyes on his back and turned….and then stood transfixed. There was a question in Aryan’s eyes. Could he reciprocate to Aryan when he was not sure of his answer himself. What would he say?

Segment #10 - Satrangi_Curls

Saheel looked at Aryan from across the street and smiled. He went straight to the library, he knew what he had to find. 

Aryan came into the library, looking for Saheel. He found Saheel in a lonesome corner. Reading poetry. 

"What are you doing here?" Aryan asked. 

"Checking what bareback meant." Saheel replied non-chalantly. 

Aryan wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or he was being serious. "So, what did you find?" Aryan decided to play along.

Saheel's face was very red in response. He hadn't thought this through. Reading poetry should've been his answer. But only if he knew what it truly meant. Maybe it was worth a try. Saheel took a deep breath. "I- uh, I was reading poetry."

Aryan looked at him, his eyes twinkled. "Would you like to teach me some?"

"Merlin?" Saheel managed to ask. 

"Merthur, All the way!" Aryan's face lit up.  He loved the show. It was- it was his gay awakening. Not that he needed a show to tell him that but it made him feel seen

"That show is my favourite because it taught me about magic." Saheel confided. He wasn't sure where he found the courage from but he did it, anyway. 

"So, uh, if you don't mind me asking." Aryan sat beside Saheel. "Does your door swing the other way?"

"No." Aryan's face fell at the answer. "It is more like a... Pivot door. Goes in all directions." 

"Oh!" That's all Aryan could say. So his competition was the rest of the world? C'est plus difficile

"And yours?" Saheel knew the answer but wanted a confirmation.

"It goes the same direction." Aryan smiled a little. 

"You mean in One Direction?"

"Yeah! But pots and pans never broke my bones." 

The duo laughed. It feels good to find another member of your community after feeling lonely amongst the crowd for your entire life. 

_-_

After the class, Prof. Bansal called Chahat, Aryan and Saheel in her cabin.

"I've had some students come to me with a request. Would you like to join them?" 

"What request?" Saheel asked. 

"Until a few years ago, we had an active queer collective in the college. Due to the pandemic, it's activities haven't taken place and some pressure from local politicians has made the group dormant. I've gotten requests to revive it. I am also looking forward to some allies joining in." Prof. Bansal looked at her students. 

"We will let you know in a while." Aryan answered. The trio left her cabin. 

"What do you think?" Saheel asked as the trio sat on the terrace, sipping iced coffee. 

"I'm cool with whatever you decide. I know unity is strength, especially to fight bullies and homophobes." Chahat declared. 

Aryan nodded. More competition within the college itself? I really hope Saheel doesn't end up liking someone else.

Segment #11 - oh_nakhrewaali

Chahat almost shrieked in shock as she saw Aryan on her bed, scrolling through his phone.

"What the! What are you doing here?"

"Kavu Aunty let me in." He shrugged and slept on his back. Chahat snuggled next to him and he ran his fingers through her hair. It was something that they both came up with. He called her his therapy pet and she called him her personal head massager.

"Are you ok?" She asked after a long silence. He nodded.

"I have been better." It wasn't a lie. Chahat turned to look at him.

"Promise me, we won't keep secrets from each other."

"I promise..." He smiled, "to not keep the promise." She kicked him and he winced.

"Jerkface!" He laughed as she sat straight.

"Do you have any secrets?" He asked and turned to look at her, his eyes filled with curiosity.  She started at her for a few seconds.

"I keep the photo in our room, even though I know you hate it, to myself that in a parallel world, we would be married." She sighed and looked at her hands.

"Why?"

"Why did you agree to marry me?" She asked instead. He raised his eyebrow at the change in subject and she egged him on.

"Because it was Maa's final wish. I mean, she and Kavu Aunty promised each other our marriage when they were heavily pregnant and then she passed on. Dad used ghat to manipulate him. He just wanted to "fix" me, but he gaslighted me into thinking that I was doing what she would have wanted. But now I realize I would never know what she would have wanted, I never knew her." He threw his head on the bed.

"Now you, " He said as she leaned in to hold him.

"I used to have this huge crush on you. When were sixteen, you used to talk to other girls and it would piss me off, I thought the wedding of remind you that we were meant to be. I guess I was way off, wasn't I?" She laughed.

"It is stupid, I know!"

"It is! What are you, a vamp from some Indian TV show?" He laughed. She started at him in anger but then joined in.

"It's a shame that he is gay. No one makes her happy like him." Kavya said to her eldest as she gave him the laundry basket and walked back to the kitchen. Prateek looked at the two friends through the peek of the door and left.

"When were you going to tell me that Rhea threatened to kill you?" Aryan asked when they finally stopped laughing.

Segment #12 - ExoticDisaster

“When were you going to tell me that Rhea threatened to kill you?" Aryan asked when they finally stopped laughing.

“How did you know?” Chahat asked sitting on the bed. 

Aryan also sat and looked at her waiting for her to answer first. 

“You were already going through a lot, Aryan. I didn’t want to add to your woes. And I think I am strong enough to fight my own battles.”

“Of course you can,” Aryan said as if stating a fact. “What I am saying is, she is furious because of me. It didn’t occur to me that I had to drop her after the date. I was extremely worried for you.”

“I set her up with you,” Chahat sighed. “At first she was angry because she felt insulted when you didn’t turn up. She thought I knew you had feelings for me still I set you guys together. And when you were outed… the whole college looked at her sympathetically, feeling sorry for her.”

“Why?” Aryan asked stupid. 

Chahat looked at him for few seconds until Aryan realised. 

“Oh, and that made her more furious.” He said. “But still, she should be angry with me. Why did she threaten you?”

“Because she thinks that I knew you were gay, still I set her up with you.”

Aryan just nodded, trying to look for a away to sort this issue out. 

“Okay, your turn,” Chahat said as she folded her legs together on bed. 

“What turn?”

“How did you know that Rhea was sending me death threats, Aryan?” 

“Does it matters?” Aryan asked back. 

“Yes!” she replied when he phone started beeping of an alarm. 

Study! Economics test tomorrow! 

Her alarm note read. 

“Aryan!” Chahat exclaimed. “We have an Economics test tomorrow and I haven’t read a word yet!”

“Not me either,” He said calmly. “Lets study together.” 

“Cool!” 

Chahat started gathering her books and notes and Aryan mentally thanked her cell phone that beeped on the correct time. 

_____

Saheel's fingers worked on the keyboard effortlessly but his mind was somewhere else. His lips carved a content smile as he thought about him. For a long time now, only Aryan was the reason behind his smile. His eyes softened with emotions and he reminisced the recent events. He was thrilled after the little encounters he had had with Aryan. Once at the terrace and then at the road. His feelings for Aryan were getting strong day by day. He realised that he was falling for him. But he was afraid of his love getting jinx, once again. 

_____

Chahat turned the page and looked at Aryan. He was staring at his phone, with a content smile on his face. That smile, that’s the exact smile that comes on her face when she thinks of Saheel. Does that mean that Aryan is looking at his crush? And he didn’t tell her about it? Is he concealing yet another secret? 

Frowning, she snatched away his phone while Aryan looked at her in horror. 

Segment #13 by oh_nakhrewaali

"Chahat, baby, dinner's ready." Kavya knocked on the door and Chahat replied to her mother. Aryan took the chance to get the phone from her.

"Come on! Tell me who it is!"

"It's no one! Honest! I know you want to play Seema Taparia right now, but seriously, stop smelling romance when it's not there!" He shook his head and got out of the room as fast as could. He bid goodbye to Chahat's family and went back to his house.

Hiding from Chahat gnawed at his conscience, but he knew that Chahat's heart would break when she would find out the truth, and he didn't even know what Saheel felt about him or Chahat.

_________

Chahat was on her phone in the Girl's Common room when Rhea sat opposite her.

"Hi."

"Are you here to kill me?" She asked sarcastically.

"I came here for that. I am so sorry. I was so upset that I thought you were prank me and I decided to prank you, give you a taste of your medicine, but I realized it's not cool."

"And illegal."

"Yeah, that too." Rhea looked down ashamed of herself.

"It's ok. Actually,  it's not, but too much is going on right now in my life for me to cry wolf about your prank," Chahat shrugged.

"As long as it's in good humour, right?" Rhea said, laughing it off, but shut up when Chahat raised her eyebrow, annoyed.

"Sorry."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Yes. My friend Gautam kind of likes Aryan, and he had tried to warn me that Aryan might be gay. He is my school friend, and I was thinking, we should set them up. People are being weird about Saheel and Aryan, so maybe this could help. The College Student Council is also being homophobic right now, and though Aryan put them in their place in the last meeting, it's not long before they do something else. If it wasn't for the football coach, Saheel would have lost his captainship."

"Those..." Chahat clenched angrily at her mobile.

Rhea looked at her, hopefully. She sighed and nodded.

"Cool, there is a, I'll see at IPK, the club, at say 8?"

Chahat nodded.

"Will you be calling anyone else?"

"I asked the Council members, most of them are busy, Saheel said that he'll see if he can drop by."

Chahat ducked her head and hoped Rhea would miss her face turning pink with blush.

Segment #14 - DreamOfEndless

The music in the club was really groovy. Chahat was enjoying dancing on the dance floor. If anyone from the uni saw Chahat now, they wouldn’t dare to call her a ‘nerd’. She was like a carefree bird. A part of her happiness was brought by the music – the DJ of the club seemed to have a great taste. And the rest of her happiness was because of seeing Aryan happy. He had been through a lot in the past few days, he deserved to be happy.

As she watched Aryan and Gautam groove to the music, she hoped her plans to set the duo up worked. Riya was also dancing with the trio, but soon her phone pinged and she left to meet her boyfriend in another corner of the club.

If only Saheel would drop in too. Chahat sighed. She had taken extra care to put on her make-up and get ready in hopes that Saheel would notice her. She had also put on her favourite white dress. But there was no sight of Saheel.

Chahat decided to distract herself with a drink. Besides, she did not want to be a third-wheel between Aryan and Gautam.

“Where are you going? Do you have a secret boyfriend too?” Aryan joked.

“That should be my question after you were hiding your phone.”

Aryan blushed and Chahat took a pity on him.

“I am just going to get myself a drink. You guys carry on,” she said.

“Wait,” Aryan stopped her. “I’ll also go, I want a drink too.”

Aryan was still concerned about the threat message that Chahat had got.

“No, you don’t. I know why you are doing this. I can take care of myself. Stop acting like Prateek and go enjoy your date.”

Gautam, who was dancing within an earshot, caught the word ‘date’ and turned pink,.

“It’s not a date,” Aryan squinted his eyes.

“Whatever let’s you sleep at night,” Chahat teased him.

Maybe it was her imagination that the music around her faltered for a second as she left the dance floor and went towards the bar.

Gautam was a nice guy. It was easy to talk to him and Aryan was aware that he had a crush on him. But Aryan’s heart only had Saheel, he didn’t think he and Gautam could be anything more than friends. He missed Saheel. Saheel made everything so much fun, even the punishments. Aryan had secretly hoped, this evening they could turn into something more. But there was no sign of him.

Gautam, who was oblivious to Aryan’s train of thoughts, grooved with the rhythm. He looked very happy, and in that moment Aryan realised that he should not keep Gautam in the dark about how he really felt.

When Saheel walked into the club, he immediately regretted coming. Riya’s friend, Gautam was dancing with Aryan and Aryan was giving him a lost look. He was about to turn back but Chahat stopped him.

“Wow, what a pleasant surprise!” Chahat exclaimed.

Chahat looked extra pretty today. He hoped some deserving boy noticed her and asked her out.

“Come join us on the dance floor,” Chahat said and pulled Saheel with her.

Aryan, who was dancing with Gautam, looked dazed when he saw Saheel. Then one look at Chahat’s happy face and his heart sank to the pit of his stomach.

Aryan simply nodded at him. Saheel looked at Aryan and took Chahat’s hand for dance. The music turned into slow romantic numbers.

“For all the pretty girls on the dance floor. Especially a girl in white,” The DJ said on mike. There was a scream of excitement in response.

Saheel indicated towards Chahat’s white dress, she dismissed him.

Somewhere in the middle of the dance, their partners got exchanged and Aryan was dancing with Saheel, Gautam with Chahat.

The chemistry between the two boys was palpable. With the beats of the song, their hearts beated and their breaths threatened to invade into each other’s space. Looking at the duo, Chahat finally understood what Aryan was hiding in his phone. She ran out of the dance floor. This time the music faltered and changed noticeably.

Segment # 15 by LizzieBennet

Chahat rushed out the door of the huge auditorium and into the long corridor leading out to the main exit. She looked this way & that, her mind reeling with mixed emotions. Shock, hurt, confusion, and most of all ...betrayal. 

Aryan was her best friend. She had shared all her deepest, most intimate secrets with him. She had been hurt when he hadn't come out to her, but had understood this wasn't about her, & had immediately jumped to support him through the backlash. But now? After she had bared her heart to him about Saheel, he had omitted to tell her that he too had a crush on him! He hadn't trusted her with his heart when she had opened up hers to him! 

She hadn't missed the way Saheel had been looking at Aryan either. A heaviness settled in the region of her heart and travelled through her slim body. She let out a small shiver and then felt the prickling of tears threatening to erupt and flow. She fiercely brushed them away, allowing anger to overtake her heartbreak, and pulled out her phone.

"Bhai? Will you come and get me?" 

She tried to steel her voice, but it must have broken because her astute brother caught on at once.

"Kiddo? Where are you? Are you okay?"

She nodded and then said aloud, this time not bothering to hide her emotions. "Please come and get me."

"Just stay put. Don't move. I'll be there in 20."

Chahat wrapped her arms around herself tight as she stepped into the cool night, shuddering as she felt the breeze brush against her. She walked away towards the parking lot, deciding to wait for Prateek there. She had no desire to meet or speak to anyone, least of all Aryan.

~~~ **** ~~~ 

"I'm sorry, I have to go." 

Aryan had not missed the stricken look on Chahat's face as she had rushed out. He had to find her. Explain. Make it okay with his best friend.

"Wait, Aryan," Saheel said urgently but Aryan was already making his way out of the auditorium. He was striding along the corridor towards the exit when Saheel caught up with him, panting.

"What's wrong? Did I do something? Are you upset at me?"

Aryan stopped and met his eyes, shaking his head slowly. 

"This isn't about you. I mean, it is, but it isn't really. I have to find Chahat."

He paced up as Saheel tried to keep up.

"I can tell something's wrong. Tell me. Maybe I can help."

They were outside now, and Aryan was scanning all directions for any sign of Chahat. He saw none. He swore under his breath and rushed towards the empty grounds trying to get a better look. Then he whipped out his phone and called her number. No response. The courtyard was dark and deserted. 

"Aryan. Please. Talk to me."

Aryan sighed and ran a heavy hand across his head, mussing up his wavy dark hair.

"It's Chahat. I should have told her. It's my fault."

Saheel stepped closer, his brow lifted in inquiry as Aryan looked into the other boy's deep brown eyes.

"She told me she liked you, but I didn't say it to her."

"Say what to her, Aryan?" 

Saheel's voice had dropped into a whisper. He was really close now, only a thin sliver of space separating them. Aryan felt a sudden tingle starting at his toes and travelling up his tall frame.

"That ..that..I..like you," he blurted out in confusion, then silently berated himself for being such an awkward fool.

He would totally not blame Saheel for thinking he was an idiot. An idiot in love.

Instead, he saw a slow smile stretch across Saheel's handsome face.

"You like me?" The smile was now a wide grin. A shit-eating grin.

Aryan was silent, his eyes darting everywhere around Saheel but not daring to look at him.

Saheel only hesitated for a beat, and then he was in Aryan's personal space, his hand framing his jaw, his lips hovering over his, their breaths mingling as they both breathed hard at the contact. And then their lips met.

~~~ *** ~~~~

"Dude, go after her," said Zaheed, adjusting a couple of buttons on his mixer & moving away to look at the earnest boy standing before him. 

"You asked me to play all those songs for her, and now she's clearly upset. Go check on her, dude! This is your chance to tell her how you feel!"

Then he turned helplessly to the younger boy beside him, gesticulating frantically. The younger boy let out a derisive snort.

"Nick can hear. He only cannot speak." 

Zaheed cringed at his own thoughtlessness & mentally checked himself from ever making the same mistake again. Nick was a student in college but his younger brother, Joe tagged along whenever he could to help Nick when he needed it. The two of them had become somewhat of a permanent fixture. An odd, unlikely pairing. But then who was he to term them odd? For Nicholas D'Silva the rest of them were probably odd, jabbering away, talking over one another, creating a ceaseless, incessant, cacophonous din without ever pausing to listen. All Nick did was listen. And when he spoke with his hands, he was as eloquent as any of them could be with words.

The tall, dark-haired, dark-eyed boy shook his head at Zaheed in response. Then turned to his brother, lifting up his hands and moving his fingers rapidly back & forth. 

Zaheed was bewildered but the younger boy seemed to understand perfectly, then turned to Zaheed to translate.  

"Nick says there's no point in him going after Chahat. What would he say to her to comfort her? She wouldn't understand."  

Although Joe was much younger at 16 years old, he stood steadfast like a rock beside his older brother. And he was just as fiercely protective. If anyone came after Nick, they would have to contend with Joe.

A sudden twinge of sadness crept into the younger boy's face, which was replaced by quick anger and he gestured rapidly to Nick.

No. You should. Go after her. Talk to her. I'll help.

Joe, you don't get it. I saw Aryan and Saheel go after her. They'll find her. I just want her to be okay, and I think she will be.

Joe shook his head stubbornly.

You are an ass. If only you would take a chance!

I'm scared, Joe. I don't want her pushing me away outright. But but...

A sudden gleam entered Nick's eyes. He turned to Zaheed looking at him pointedly.

But he could. He could be my proxy. 

Segment #16 by oh_nakhrewaali

Chahat was bored out of her mind, the cab driver was a very talkative person. Usually, she would drown him out as she did with Aryan and his blabbering during their drives to college, but the driver wanted her opinion on which movie was better, Bajirao Mastaani or Padmavat, and she was so close to jumping out of the car. To add to her annoyance, the second passenger of the shared cab seemed to take his own sweet time.

"Chahat, we need to talk."

Chahat ignored the message from Aryan. She was very pissed at him. He was supposed to be her best buddy, but he had set her up to walk down a path of rejection and heartbreak. He had broken her trust and had not trusted her to be strong enough to atleast accept the truth.

Nick got into the shared cab and looked up to see Chahat looking at him. He smiled meekly, though he was surprised and happy to share a cab with her. Then, he realized that except for writing, they had no means to talk and the thought disheartened him.

"Sir, do you like Padmavat better or Bajirao Mastani?" The driver asked and Chahat sighed in relief. Maybe this latecomer can deal with him, but the guy just shrugged and signed that he couldn't speak. The driver looked at him through the rearview mirror in confusion.

"He can't speak..." Chahat translated. Nick looked at her in surprise.

Do you understand ASL?

I have a deaf cousin.

"What is he saying?" The driver asked, feeling left out of the conversation. Nick looked at her, hoping she'd be honest. The fact that they could communicate made him so happy, it was like the universe was giving him signs.

"He is saying nothing can beat Jodha Akbar's beauty." She answered and looked at Nick. They laughed.

"Are you two friends? Your drop location is the SP Business School"

"Oh no, we are meeting for the first time."

Hopefully not last. 

She raised her eyebrow.

You are one of the very few people who can understand me, that's rare.

She smiled, not sure what to say.

Nick was surprised. He wasn't usually this direct. He could actually hide his feelings a little better than others, and yet, understand others' emotions better, but it seemed like he didn't have much control right now over his own thoughts. Maybe it was a good thing.

I am Chahat Johari. TY.

Nick D'silva. MBA.

You are my senior!

We were in the photography club when I was in TY, that is, last year.

Chahat looked at him in surprise. She just couldn't place him.

I don't remember you, I am so sorry.

That's ok. I am usually not the kind people forget, but I guess you are different.

Or maybe forgetful.

Let's just say, a little bit of both.

Chahat smiled. The man was actually funny. The car drive to college was a little more comfortable than before.

Segment #17 by DreamOfEndless

Nick nodded at Chahat and walked towards his building  Chahat smiled back and walked towards a different building where her classes were held. Halfway through the corridor, she found Aryan standing outside a classroom and waving at her. Chahat ignored him and kept walking.

Aryan, who was desperate to mend their friendship, hurried to catch up with her.

“Chahat, please! At least let me explain. I didn’t want to hurt your feelings,” he said.

“Well, you did exactly that. Aryan, I can't believe you hid it from me!“ Chahat's voice was filled with anger and hurt. Other students nearby perked up at Chahat’s words and Aryan took her aside to talk to her in private.

"Chahat, I'm so sorry. I didn't want to lose our friendship. It’s not everyday that you learn that your best friend had a crush on you and then you realize that at present, we crush on the same guy. I was scared that one of our hearts would break.”

Chahat looked at Aryan as if he was the stupidest man on this planet. Days ago, when Aryan was outed at the cafeteria, Chahat accepted him, stood up for him, she supported him throughout the whole time. How could he think he would lose her friendship?

"Lose me?” she said, “Aryan, you should have known better. I would never judge you or abandon you. All I wanted was for you to trust me. But you… I am really disappointed in you.”

"Chahat, I'm sorry. I messed up. I want us to go back to how things were,” Aryan pleaded. Chahat was the only person, except his dad, that he considered his family. They literally grew up together.

Chahat looked at Aryan. She could see he was truly sorry.

“Aryan, I understand your point of view. But I need time. This hurts, and I can't just forget about it.”

She turned away and then stopped, “If Saheel likes you back, give him a chance. He is a nice guy… Don’t be like a daily soap heroine and sacrifice your love for me.”

Aryan stood there, thinking, how lucky he was to have a best friend like Chahat.

Nick did not have many friends in college. Most people talked to him just to borrow his notes. He was a good listener — he didn’t have the option to speak, so he listened — and his notes were always up to date. 

After his classes or in between the breaks, he often went to the music room to play the grand piano kept over there. He had learned to play the piano when he was a kid. This was the only way he could ‘talk’ to the world.

He never stopped playing the piano. In fact, he kept getting better at it, and his piano playing skills became one of the reasons behind his admission in a good college like SP Business school for his MBA.

Today Nick was not only lost in the music notes, he was also lost in her thoughts. Chahat. When she left the dance floor in tears the other day, he became sad too. He thought the songs he chose for her upset her. But today, he not only got to share a ride with her, she even laughed at his jokes.

How he wished she would sit in front of her and he would 'talk' to her playing piano for hours.

Nick was drowned in his thoughts, playing, when there a movement just outside the door.

Segment #18 by Satrangi_Curls

The entire college was assembled in the ceremony hall. 

"Good Morning, dear students and faculty members. Today, we have gathered here for an orientation session on 'How to be a respectful Human Being and a good Ally to your fellow Queer Students'. The recent event in the College has saddened me to a great extent. I believed that our students were best of the lot and knew how be decent human beings. But, you proved me wrong. So here's a guide for you people and if I see any more of such incidents, you shall be rusticated, no questions asked." Dean, Prof. Varsha Purohit was loud and clear in her message. 

There was a dead silence in the gathering. 

"The Supreme Court of India decriminalised Section 377 five years ago and we are the generation of future leaders. How can you even think of mocking someone just because they like someone else? Our college has a zero tolerance policy against Sexual Harrasment and against ragging and some of you had the audacity to openly flaunt all the rules..." The Dean continued.

"Welcome to the orientation session. I shall present a brief history and explain key terms to you." Prof. Bansal began her presentation.

"Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation, are both spectrums, there is no one size fits all approach."

"Asexual is an umbrella term which refers to people who experience no sexual attraction; it also includes people who are demisexual, meaning a person who does experience some sexual attraction, but only in certain situations, for example, after they have formed a strong emotional or romantic connection with a partner." Prof. Bansal explained. 

"I present a formal invitation all the queer students and allies to join The Queer Collective of our College and give your time and efforts to make this a safe space for everyone, without any judgement."

Chahat was keenly listening to the presentation and occasionally taking notes. Asexual. She had heard the term before but didn't quite understand the meaning. But now it was crystal clear. The incident of the previous evening made sense to her.

She had heard someone play piano beautifully and dropped in to compliment the musician. She saw Nick completely engrossed in the tune. She stood in a corner, silently appreciating his talent.

Nick felt her presence and turned around. She walked up to him. 

It was enchanting. She signed. 

Thank you very much. Nick couldn't believe she was really here. He had thought of this moment multiple times. Do you want me to play something specific?

Chahat nodded. A Thousand Miles. 

Nick was a beautiful man. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw him play her requested tune. The music felt like a soothing balm after Aryan's betrayal. 

What if we kissed? Nick's brain and heart said in a sync. He looked at Chahat, his heart was racing. 

Segment #19 by oh_nakhrewaali

Chahat's mobile rang breaking the moment. It was Rhea who texted her about Aryan getting into a fight in the Boys' Common Room. She ran to the common room and watched from outside as Saheel held Aryan protecting him from some junior.

"What happened?" She asked Rhea.

"Ronit asked him to suck d*ck and he replied that's what your dad said to me last night. Ronit lost it." She said while laughing her head off.

"It's not funny!" Chahat rebuked her, but even she was proud of her best friend for not taking it lying down.

"I know, but you should have seen the way Ronit jumped across the room to hit him. It was funny." Rhea was laughing but Chahat pulled her away. She saw Aryan look at him and looked away.

A few minutes later, Aryan was staring at Chahat, kneeling, opposite his chin on her bench.

"What do you want?"

"Just talk to me, will you?"

"No!" She said firmly. Aryan's shoulders slumped.

"Did he hit you too hard?"

"Ronit? That 45-kilogram baby has nothing on me." Chahat ducked her head to hide her laugh at his comment.

"Chahat, I understand if you are upset and if you need time and you can take all the time you need, but I miss you, bestie!" He said. She looked at him and nodded.

"Me too, but things are a little weird right now. Sorry. Don't let these jackasses get to you, ok?" He nodded and walked to his usual seat.

"How is she?" Saheel asked him.

"She needs time. She'll come around." He said.

"Aww, look at them getting all cosy!" A classmate commented and Aryan looked at him for a few seconds, contemplating what to do. Saheel shook his head and signed him to calm down. He nodded back at him and smiled.

Meanwhile, Chahat found Nick on her Instagram suggested followers and after letting her finger hover on the "Request" button for a few long seconds, she hit the button.

Segment # 20 by LizzieBennet

Chahat was making her way to her Accounting class when she was accosted by Aryan.

"Hey, you really okay with this? Me and Saheel? Cos if you're not..." he left off and Chahat rolled her eyes at him. 

"Of course I'm okay. How can you even think I wouldn't be, Aryan?"

He gave her a sheepish look. 

"I'm not proud of how I've handled this whole thing.”

“I get it. You weren’t sure.” She shrugged. She was done being miffed with her best friend.

“I really do miss hanging out with you, Cee. Any chance of you moving back with me?"

"With a big brother who thinks he's Papa Wolf reborn, not anytime soon," she sighed when they were diverted by a loud commotion. 

It was the elderly janitor, Deenanath yelling at a student outside the music room. Chahat's heart sank. It was Nick.

She made her way to the scene, muttering a quick excuse to Aryan who went off to class promising to catch up later. 

Nick looked lost. And frustrated.  

"What's going on?" asked Chahat aloud.

Deenanath replied angrily in Hindi, "I'm telling him he can't go in but he just won't listen. I'm cleaning in here!"

Chahat turned questioningly to Nick. 

I'm auditioning for Symphony in 30 minutes. I need my flute. Joe has exams so couldn't come. And Deenanath can't read, he signed helplessly holding up the piece of paper with his neat Hindi script.

Symphony was SP college's annual Music festival and was very popular among students in their city.  

Wow, you play the flute too?

Figured I'd put my mouth to some use, Nick smiled self-deprecatingly and Chahat felt a jolt in her mid-section.

It's a very nice mouth, I could think of several uses for it, she thought and then caught herself as she felt a flood of pink on her cheeks. Whoa! Where had that come from? Especially after that awkward encounter with Nick earlier? It was still confusing and she had a lot to unpack. But first things first.

She explained the situation quickly to Deenanath who moved aside to let Nick in.

Thank you! Meet later? he signed as he rushed in. Chahat nodded feeling an inexplicable bubble of joy.

~~~*** ~~~

She was in the library, all her classes done for the day when her Insta app popped up a DM notification.

Hey, I'm in the courtyard by the cafeteria if you're free.

She smiled, closed up her books and hurried to find Nick.

Audition went okay? 

Yeah, got selected. 

He gave her a self-effacing grin that had her melting.

Hooray. Congratulations. I'll be in the front row cheering like crazy.

He smiled, then his smile faded.

I'm sorry about the other day. I shouldn't have.... I guess I crossed a line.

It's okay.

There was an awkward pause.

I like you, Chahat. I have for a while since we met in that photography class. I noticed you all the time. But I don't want you thinking I'm some creepy stalker. 

Chahat was stunned. She had never had a boy say he liked her. She had no idea how to react.

I like you too, she signed without thinking, & then all of a sudden realized it was true.

Nick's jaw hardened in response. 

You don't have to say that. Don't you feel sorry for me! I can take rejection. I'm not some fragile China doll.

No, Nick. I really do like you. I followed you on Insta. I don't follow anyone I don't like.

He smiled at her feeble attempt at levity.

Then I have to ask, what happened back in the music room? I thought there was a spark between us. Or did I just imagine that?

Nnnnoo..., you didn't. I..I just ...lost my nerve, that's all.

He nodded.

Ok, just so you know, I don't often feel this way with girls. You're the first one I've really wanted to kiss.

Oh my. What was she supposed to say now? She was a complete novice at this. 

And also I'm not saying this to burden you with it. It's not your problem. 

He turned to leave when she called out aloud, "Wait, please!"

Then she signed rapidly.

I don't know what came over me. One minute I thought I was ready and the next minute I just ...couldn't.  

His brow scrunched up in deep thought.

Are you into girls?

No! I mean, I've only ever had crushes on guys. And I definitely like you. I mean..you're... you're very attractive and nice and umm yeah..but ...but... she fumbled. Shit. She was screwing this up badly.

But he merely grinned.

You're just not into kissing then?

She could only gape at him.  

It's fine. I wasn't into it much either. I've done it only a couple of times and found it quite unpleasant. Except with you... I have a feeling it won't be. For me at least.

His dark eyes bore into hers intensely and she felt an unexpected tingle go through her.

But hey, no pressure, he signed. Feel free to tell me to take a hike.

Chahat smiled, the tightness in her chest suddenly easing. She felt almost giddy with relief.

Take a hike, Nick. With me.

Segment #21 by DreamOfEndless

On a balmy evening, the gentle breeze caressed the hostel terrace, where Saheel and Aryan found themselves seeking refuge from the academic demands of college life. The terrace, adorned with potted plants and fairy lights, offered a peaceful retreat where they could immerse themselves in their shared world.

Saheel playfully draped his arm around Aryan's shoulder, drawing him closer as they settled on a comfortable cushioned seat. Aryan leaned into the warmth of Saheel's embrace, his heart fluttering with affection.

"Look at the stars, Aryan," Saheel whispered, his voice carrying a hint of wonder. "Do you ever feel like they're watching over us, witnessing our love?”

Aryan gazed up at the twinkling sky, a smile gracing his lips. "I do, Saheel. It's as if they're painting our love story in constellations, reminding us of the beauty we share.”

They sat in silence for a while, their fingers delicately intertwined, as the stars serenaded them with their soft glow. The tranquility of the moment was interrupted by a sudden burst of laughter from a nearby room, followed by the sound of music streaming through an open window.

Saheel's eyes sparkled mischievously as he looked at Aryan. "I think someone is having a spontaneous dance party. Care to join me?”

Aryan's face lit up, his eyes alight with excitement. "Why not? Let's have our own impromptu dance-off!”

They rose from their seats, Saheel twirling Aryan playfully, their laughter mingling with the tunes floating through the air. Their dance, a whimsical combination of grace and silliness, mesmerised the few onlookers who happened to witness their uninhibited joy.

As the music faded, they collapsed onto the cushioned seat, their breaths heavy with laughter. Saheel wrapped his arms around Aryan, pulling him close.

"I love these moments with you, Saheel," Aryan whispered, his voice filled with tenderness.

Saheel pressed a gentle kiss to Aryan's forehead. "It's in these moments that I'm reminded of the magic we share, Aryan. Our love knows no boundaries, and together, we can create our own little paradise.”

With the night sky as their witness, Saheel and Aryan leaned into each other, their hearts intertwined in a bond of love and trust. On that terrace, amidst the twinkling stars and their own laughter, they found solace and joy, building a love story that would continue to unfold, one precious moment at a time.

Segment #22

"No. Some of these are dramatised but most of it is authentic."

"Ma'am, is every woman really a lesbian at heart?"

"I mean-" Rhea chimed in. "Have you seen women? Why not?"

"Damn, Ri!" Chahat chuckled. 

"This idea is quite problematic-" Prof. Bansal began. "But funny, nonetheless." 

"It is interesting how even after all these years, with whatever progress the society, the laws have made, we still haven't been able to remove the prejudices inherent in people." Aryan said. 

"And even though, love is love, and all humans were created equal, they alway see and treat us as someone less than human." Saheel added. 

Zaheed stood up. "As an ally, I would like to know how we could help."

"Firstly, don't be a silent spectator when you see a queer person being bullied." Gautam continued. "Educate yourself and help in raising awareness as well." 

Prof. Bansal looked at the healthy discussion her students were having, a satisfactory smile crept up her lips. 

Segment #23

Saheel looked up to see Aryan chewing on his pen, his attention on the book. The birds were chirping and the evening sun was slowly making its way back in the clouds. He was never assigned a roomate even though his room was for two people. It was nice having someone in the room, that someone being Aryan.

If someone had told him about two months ago, during the start of their semester that he'd be dating Aryan, Saheel would have laughed in their face and direct their attention to Aryan flirting with some girl. He could never really pin point when he started developing feelings for Aryan, but seeing him with girls used to break his heart. He had downloaded Grindr just in hopes of finding someone who could help him move on, but to date, he didn't know how Vikram got hold of his phone and of Aryan's profile.

"You look cute when you smile, Saheel."

"Yeah, umm... Thanks," 14-year-old Saheel smiled at a classmate and sat next to his best friend.

"Dude, she was flirting with you." Faruq nudged him.

"I got that!" Saheel shook his head, his attention suddenly more on the chapter about Colonialism in their history textbook.

"Then why didn't you do anything? You should have asked her out. We could go on a double date."

"I...am not interested." He answered, avoiding Faruq's eyes. Faruq shrugged and took the textbook for himself. 

Was he so good at lying to Faruq that Faruq didn't catch on to the biggest truth he had been hiding from him?

Aryan looked up and raised his eyebrow. Saheel shook his head.

"Who is Faruq?" Aryan asked and he looked at him, shocked.

"What? Who?"

"You follow him on Instagram, he even tagged you in a few pictures." 

"Nobody, just an old classmate." Saheel shrugged.

"Is there an ex I should be worried about?" Aryan asked as he sat on his bed.

"You should worry about this assignment, it's so boring!" Saheel dropped his head on table, hoping Aryan would drop the topic.

"Also, stop stalking me on Instagram!"

Faruq's lips against his own in the locker room, his eyes looking down into his eyes and their heart beating in sync, Saheel never forgot that feeling, when though over seven years had passed.

Segment #24

Saheel came out after a refreshing shower. Aryan was buried in his books when he looked up as the door opened. 

The scars on on Saheel's body reminded him of his own. The dark memories of the moments when he felt unwanted and unloved flooded his mind. 

Saheel put on a Tee and sat across Aryan. "Why so sad?" Saheel attempted a Joker voice.

"Your scars-"

"Stop looking."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

After an understanding silence, Saheel spoke. "There was a time when I didn't feel myself. My younger self did things I'm not particularly proud of but we survived and now, I wish to thrive. I'm done being on the edge and staying on survival mode at all times."

"Been there, done that." Aryan chuckled. "Funny, how we're so okay with this trauma."

"What trauma? It's the part of The Gay Package, the life-time subscription."

"When did you sign-up?"

"While watching Pirates of The Caribbean." Saheel laughed "You?"

"Same. I mean if Jack Sparrow and Will Turner's sword fight didn't turn you on, what are you doing with your subscription?"

"Just activating the Gay Panik mode." 

"Were you bullied too much by you schoolmates?" Aryan asked. 

"I don't know how they figured things out before I did but yes. I changed three schools in two years when I was 15. My parents couldn't see their child come home beaten black and blue everyday."

"They had some nerve." 

"Nevermind them. I've left it all behind, long back." Saheel relaxed on the chair. "Therapy helped me get through." 

"I feel like I should go for it too."

"Sure."

-*-

Nick was busy practicing for the upcoming event. Chahat was around, listening to the music and reading a novel. 

"Did you like today's extempore?" Nick signed after his practice.

"It was interesting but yesterday was better." 

"So, there's some tunes you enjoy more than others?"

"Yes. But you were enjoying yourself thoroughly." 

"Music is my first love." Nick smiled. "Reading is yours."

"No, it is-" Chahat stopped as she saw Saheel and Aryan. They seemed happy together but were too busy to notice anyone around them. Chahat smiled, her best friend was happy after a long time. Her heart was filled with warmth of joy.

Nick nudged her. "You okay?"

Chahat nodded. They shared a cup of coffee and some more sweet nothings. 

Edited by ExoticDisaster - 9 months ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

It's an excellent start, Shri. It had all the necessary elements for crafting a chain story. The content is engaging, the flow of imagination is excellent, and the greatest part is the closing line, which is the traditional last line for every chain story and provides ample opportunity for the next writer to continue the story. 

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

*tw: homophobia, violence, abusive language*

# segment 2

"Aryan, I missed the first lecture because of you!" Chahat hit Aryan as she got down from the car.

"I had to feed Devsena. Get off my back!" Aryan answered and followed Chahat.

"Then do it on your own time!"

"I would if you'd just let me adopt her!"

"We have one dog in the house. I can't take care of another," Chahat answered. She started sprinting while Aryan dragged his feet to follow her to the class.

Professor Bansal just rolled her eyes and continued with her lesson as Aryan stepped in. He wanted to flip her off, but his internal scores were in her hands, and being the GS of the college meant he had to behave. He sighed as his eyes wandered across the almost packed class, and he occupied the last seat while Chahat took the first bench.

"Nerd!" Aryan muttered, and he giggled. Aryan looked at Saheel, who was writing whatever Professor Bhansal was dictating.

"Why do you annoy her so much!"

"It's fun bro. Her nose gets red when she is pissed," Aryan answered as he became aware of the distance between them. There was none, and a small pink shade crept up his neck.

He shifted a little away, and Saheel went back to his notes.

Aryan looked away, forcing his body to not look at Saheel. He tried to think of Rhea, his date from the last night, who had blocked him.

Damn! He messed up!

Thankful that his mind was not stuck on Saheel, he checked his phone, and Rhea had still blocked him.

"How was your date?"

"Meh! Vikram was a jerk, so I kind of got overprotective of Chahat and forgot about her."

"And you say you aren't in love with Chahat."

"Of course, I am not!" Aryan answered, and Saheel rolled his eyes.

"And I am in love with KRK!" Saheel answered, and Aryan made a face at him.

"But if I had to, Vicky Kaushal ain't that bad," Saheel said, as an afterthought, and Aryan almost lost his voice.

What if Saheel had to choose? Would he choose Aryan? Or would he have to push his feelings in a ball and throw the ball to the deepest corners of his heart?

"You aren't gay! You can't be! You are just mistaken!" His dad had said five years.

"Dad, please, just listen to me!"

"You will stop with this nonsense. Your marriage was fixed with Chahat before you were born. What do I tell the Joharis? That we have... A gay son?"

"Yes! I am gay, and you have to accept it!"

He never got over how much the slap hurt.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 10 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Dialogue Dynamos

Aiyyosmiley44 Tum dono ne twist pe twist likha hai, now I'm scared to claim Segment #3! 

Shiri, why can't I tag you? 🤔

ExoticDisaster thumbnail

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Aiyyosmiley44 Tum dono ne twist pe twist likha hai, now I'm scared to claim Segment #3! 

Shiri, why can't I tag you? 🤔

Because UN changed 🤣

You'll be able to tag only if you claim segment #3 😈

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Dialogue Dynamos

Originally posted by: ExoticDisaster

Because UN changed 🤣

You'll be able to tag only if you claim segment #3 😈

Your UN change was happening at the same time I was tryna tag you! Surreal, bro! 😲

Chalo, let me claim Segment # 3 then. 😔 (pata nahi kya likhungi)

Btw, ye Aryan aur Chahat are OCs or from some show? 

Ditto for Saheel, Shibz?

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Your UN change was happening at the same time I was tryna tag you! Surreal, bro! 😲

Chalo, let me claim Segment # 3 then. 😔 (pata nahi kya likhungi)

Btw, ye Aryan aur Chahat are OCs or from some show? 

Ditto for Saheel, Shibz?

All OCs, again nahi bhi toh Sahil is, for sure😆

ExoticDisaster thumbnail

Shibzzzzzz!! I love the twist!! 

Thanks for making it even more interesting ❤

Just don't make me love Saheel more than Aryan 😅🥲

Loved it ❤️