Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

Indians work all over the world and don't have to lie about their identity...Priyanka, Irfan, AB Sr and so many others do not have to lie about their Indian roots/Nationality....but sadly in India people often have to change their names, roots etc to be accepted...its sad and its true....the sense of entitlement that we have as a nation is nauseating.....we can go all over the work to world and we will gloat about our own....but damn let one outsider come to BW...and all hell will break loose...Katrina is not responsible for where she was born, how she was raised...who her parents are..she is responsible for only her decisions she made as an adult....so what if she changed her last name to be accepted...so did Dilip Kumar and many others...shaming a person for her past...shaming her family...shaming her relationships...I have seen it all on SM...🤔

Yet she kept winning. Reached the zenith of Bollywood stardom despite no acting talent, language skills nor training. Became a successful businesswoman.

And now hopefully a blessed grihastha jeevan as well. Touch wood. 🤞❤️

cts22 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Everyone has a past, and from all Katrina has lied about her age and her parenthood, maybe something very complicated or not fitting into so called society standard.

She has become extremely successful without knowing hindi or even acting. Though her recent films , she was okay.

She has also become an extremely successful business woman.

Just hope she stops going under the knife so much

Mahisa_22 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Indians work all over the world and don't have to lie about their identity...Priyanka, Irfan, AB Sr and so many others do not have to lie about their Indian roots/Nationality....but sadly in India people often have to change their names, roots etc to be accepted...its sad and its true....the sense of entitlement that we have as a nation is nauseating.....we can go all over the work to world and we will gloat about our own....but damn let one outsider come to BW...and all hell will break loose...Katrina is not responsible for where she was born, how she was raised...who her parents are..she is responsible for only her decisions she made as an adult....so what if she changed her last name to be accepted...so did Dilip Kumar and many others...shaming a person for her past...shaming her family...shaming her relationships...I have seen it all on SM...🤔😳

Changing your last name to be accepted is okay, but pretending to be from another race is not. It's cultural appropriation and brownfishing. Pretending to be black or brown when you're actually white, is all kinds of inappropriate. 😳

Edited by Mahisa_22 - 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

Changing your last name to be accepted is okay, but pretending to be from another race is not. It's cultural appropriation and brownfishing. Pretending to be black or brown when you're actually white, is all kinds of inappropriate. 😳

lying about anything is inappropriate.....whether it is age, name, religion or race...how can one be more acceptable than others....what gives us the right to approve one and not the other?? How is pretending to be a Hindu to be accepted in a Hindu majority country acceptable but to lie about the race is not?? why is women lying about their age is acceptable but race is not?? People lie about these things because of the disapproval they would get if they spoke the truth...let us analyze ourselves as a society and see why anyone would need to hide these things in the first place...why is being old or a Muslim or being white a crime that people are forced to lie about these things...

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

Cultural appropriation meaning: “the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.”

Can you please explain to me what cultural appropriation did Katrina do by trying to be one amongst the Indians?

Edited by catchmeifucan - 2 years ago

Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

Cultural appropriation meaning: “the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.”

Can you please explain to me what cultural appropriation did Katrina do by trying to be one amongst the Indians?

I remember Selena Gomez...I think it was Selena Gomez....wore a bindi for some award function....and there was an uproar about cultural appropriation......while Indians are following all sorts of Western culture...unless one is disrespecting the culture...I don't see a problem...

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I remember Selena Gomez...I think it was Selena Gomez....wore a bindi for some award function....and there was an uproar about cultural appropriation......while Indians are following all sorts of Western culture...unless one is disrespecting the culture...I don't see a problem...

Tell me about it. And some of them don’t even look good in those western clothes and appropriating the western culture.😂 I don’t see any western people accusing us of cultural appropriation.

Exactly, unless someone is mocking , misusing or disrespecting the culture , where is the problem?

1194442 thumbnail

If I had a dollar every time a certain someone cried about Katrina's "shadiness," I would have been a multi millionaire by now.

And if I was a moderator, I would also pin up a thread up there named "Fifty Shades of Katrina" where they can copy paste all the conspiracy theories they can find on google and dump them .... and soothe themselves. 😆

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

Exactly, unless someone is mocking , misusing or disrespecting the culture , where is the problem?

It's not that simple. This won't affect Indians in India but appropriation is something that bothers NRIs and all minorities in general.

For those of us who grew up in Western countries, we've seen the racist attitudes - we've experienced our mothers being made fun of for wearing saris, we've lived through gangs like the Dot Busters who used to target people who wore bindis with violence, we've seen Hindu gods being mocked, etc.

Then suddenly that same thing is picked up by a white person and suddenly it's loved because it's the white person doing it. They often profit off it (like Gwen Stefani who made wearing bindis her thing) or fashion houses which started selling dresses made out of sari fabric or purses with Hindu god's photos printed on them. Meanwhile, the actual Indian people who live out their own traditions are mocked, laughed at, have racist comments made about them, etc.

This is the same reason why the black community gets so angry about it also. When they have dreadlocks, it's called dirty or too ethnic or sneered at in job interviews. When a white girl does it, it's that cool thing she did on vacation. Or when black women had big butts and big lips because of their genes, it was ugly. But when white girls adopted it with plastic procedures, it's hot and sexy.

Aspects of minorities are stolen from them and the same things that were used to put them down are taken by white people and suddenly become cool.

A white girl pretending to be Indian and profiting off desi culture's obsession with white skin and Eurocentric features is suspect, especially when a majority of Indians cannot fit those beauty standards by virtue of their race. I can't really blame Katrina for her hustle but it's not as innocuous as it seems either.

1123225 thumbnail

Originally posted by: hotchoco

It's not that simple. This won't affect Indians in India but appropriation is something that bothers NRIs and all minorities in general.

For those of us who grew up in Western countries, we've seen the racist attitudes - we've experienced our mothers being made fun of for wearing saris, we've lived through gangs like the Dot Busters who used to target people who wore bindis with violence, we've seen Hindu gods being mocked, etc.

Then suddenly that same thing is picked up by a white person and suddenly it's loved because it's the white person doing it. They often profit off it (like Gwen Stefani who made wearing bindis her thing) or fashion houses which started selling dresses made out of sari fabric or purses with Hindu god's photos printed on them. Meanwhile, the actual Indian people who live out their own traditions are mocked, laughed at, have racist comments made about them, etc.

This is the same reason why the black community gets so angry about it also. When they have dreadlocks, it's called dirty or too ethnic or sneered at in job interviews. When a white girl does it, it's that cool thing she did on vacation. Or when black women had big butts and big lips because of their genes, it was ugly. But when white girls adopted it with plastic procedures, it's hot and sexy.

Aspects of minorities are stolen from them and the same things that were used to put them down are taken by white people and suddenly become cool.

A white girl pretending to be Indian and profiting off desi culture's obsession with white skin and Eurocentric features is suspect, especially when a majority of Indians cannot fit those beauty standards by virtue of their race. I can't really blame Katrina for her hustle but it's not as innocuous as it seems either.

As an NRI myself, I gotta say NRIs have an identity problem, not an appropriation problem.

Yeah, racism is a thing. But things have changed massively in the last 40 plus years since Indians started migrating in great numbers. One of the reasons why the change happened is that other races learned about and accepted different cultures.

It happened with the Irish. It happened with Italians. Slower, but it's happening with East and South Asians. Yeah, the pace is different prob because of skin color and greater differences in culture. But why would you go to a place as a migrant and expect everyone to be instantly accepting of all differences? There will always be a spectrum of reactions. That is just human nature. Those migrating best be prepared to fight it.

The other thing is the lack of effort to fit in. Even 10 years ago, I've seen and heard many Indian uncles and aunties who go on and on and on about Western culture and forbid (unsuccessfully) their kids from socially mingling.

This creates an identity crisis in kids' minds. Indians growing up in India don't have that problem because they know who they are and where they belong. Thanks to the bigotry from both sides, ABCDs end up imagining themselves as a special group which is neither Western nor quite Indian. So when westerners adopt the clothes, music, food, etc, even without disrespect, the reaction is, "hey, don't steal our identity from us." In other words, American desis are more possessive of identity because they feel they don't have one.

Sometimes, I also wonder if the objectors realize that when 1-plus billion Indians are quite happy to share their culture, what right do the NRIs--who voluntarily left the country for whatever reasons--have to impose their views on the people who stayed? EDITED TO ADD: There was a Pretentious Movie Review of DDLJ where Kanan and Biswa asked the same thing. Why go on about India when you left the place for money?

One more thing. What is called cultural appropriation used to be called melting pot not too long ago. Keeping cultures side by side and suspicious of each other has another name for it. Divide and rule. The Brits tried it with massive success. Not sure if I want that happening in the U.S.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago