Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Avan, Aval, Adhu-16

To see dozens of women in colorful clothes bent over plucking weeds from the fields was a sight that never tired her and no matter how many times she had seen it through her own eyes and captured those beautiful rustic moments through her lens.

Gayatri shook her head slowly and then turned and looked at Ganesan, ' Young man, you are just out of your teenage years and have only now stepped into the morning of your twenties while I am in the twilight of my 40s. There is a huge gulf of time and experience that separates us and our understanding of life. So, even if I did try explaining my situation to you, you would not be able to grasp the nuances and subtle differences that separate and define all our lives.'

She smiled sadly, ' maybe someday when I happen to pass this place once more, we will sit and chat more on why people are the way they are and why they do what they do? '

Pointing to the field where the women were singing, ' Answer my question, please. Why are they singing about Dharma and why involve your master in it?'

Ganesan looked at her, ' okay, will do but for me to do so, you will have to answer a simple question first and which is, do you believe in God?'

' Do I believe in God?'

' Yes. That was my question and so rather than dilly dally and buy time by repeating the same, take your time and try answering it honestly and not just to placate me and to get me talking.'

' I have been accused of a few things in my life but have never been accused of being dishonest. In fact, many of my friends and colleagues beg me to be a bit dishonest with my views and opinions for I am famous for calling a spade a spade and being brutally and offensively honest.'

' So, answer my simple question. Do you believe in God?'

' Ganesan, of course, I believe in God. Although, I confess that I have turned my back on God many a time in my life, and in fact it has been ages since I have been to a temple or prayed to God.'

' Ma'am, all of us at some point do get angry with God for he does tests our faith very often and pushes us to our limits.'

' Sorry Ganesan, my relationship with God is purely for him to watch over my mother who is all alone and on her own. I did pray for my father many years ago but it never bore fruit and he passed on and then I passed out of my house and my old life and have been wandering the Earth for many years now.'

' I am sorry to hear about your father, ma'am. But, how is your mother doing, is she well and healthy?'

' She is well and the fact is that she is healthier than me.'

Ganesan looked at her and then turned away to hide his face lest it revealed his soul and Gayatri seeing this, said, ' I have nothing to hide, so you can ask me whatever it is you want to ask, freely and without any fear of what response it will evoke in me.'

' I am just a bit confused ma'am. You just said that you are in the twilight of your forties and that should put you somewhere between 42 and 47 years of age which then means that your mother must be in her late 60s. How can she be healthier than you and how is she managing on her own at this old age?'

Gayatri smiled, ' more questions from you. But I will answer them only when the time is right and that might be now or many years later from now. But first, answer my question as to why your Master sir, Mr. Ravi is being praised in the songs that those women are singing.'

Ganesan smiled happily and his face radiated a serenity that belied his tender years and he whispered two words that would stay with Gayatri for a long, long time.

' Gravity, love.'

' what? what do you mean, gravity and love, Ganesan? What do they have to do with Mr.Ravi and him being sung by those women in the fields?'

' Ma'am, please don't think I am being impertinent and offensive when I ask you what you know about Gravity.'

Gayatri brushed his request aside and dived into their verbal joust, ' I won't think that of you young man. But, let me think before I answer for I know yours was a trick question.'

She thought hard for a few moments and then pointed to the sun, ' We and our Planet Earth are held in the sun's gravity and we spin in an orbit around it and have been doing that for many billion years.'

' Correct. I and all the people of this village are bound in the same way to Master sir although we prefer to call that love instead of Gravity even when both mean the same in the end.'

Gayatri was left feeling stunned and felt a wave of melancholy sweep over her soul and her thoughts and she mumbled, ' that is profound and very deep and I am sorry to say that I am overwhelmed by the choice of your words, young man.'

' No ma'am. That is exactly how we feel about our master sir. He is our star and the sun around who all our lives rotate and without whom, most of us will be lost and spinning in confusion.'

They heard a car stop near them and both turned and saw Ravi get down from it along with the family that had just honored him in the fields.

Ravi Kumar stepped forward and greeted her and then introduced her to the family and asked, ' ma'am, how are you doing?

' I am doing great Mr. Ravi and thank you for inviting me to have breakfast in your house.'

' I was not aware of that. Must be my mother's doing. So, you will have to thank her for the invitation.'

Ravi then turned to the family and said, ' Please carry on for Ganesan is here and I will go home in the auto with him and our guest.'

The man whose name was Thenappan greeted Gayatri, ' madam, please do visit our house and let us serve you while you are here.'

Gayatri thanked them and watched as they took leave of Ravi Kumar and then both of them got into the auto-rickshaw and headed to the house.

Ravi looked at Gayatri, ' I hope the room was comfortable and you slept well.'

She nodded with a smile, ' yes. It was a pretty decent room. I had my doubts but it turned out okay.'

light_dark thumbnail

Vaanathai Pola 304

When their former Security chief and consultant, retired Assistant Commissioner Samabshivam had suddenly succumbed to a cardiac arrest, he had left behind a huge vacuum that he and their management of Global hospitals had feared could never be filled. But, a few weeks before his untimely death, Mr. Sadashivam himself had spoken highly about ASP Jayaprakash who had come to see his old colleague and senior and had impressed Subash Rao on their very first meeting itself.

Subash Rao had sat watching ASP Jayaprakash and had thought, ' if only all our police officers followed this man's code towards life and duty. Jayaprakash was a quiet man and a man of very few words and yet every word he spoke made sense and to even those who did not understand it the first time out. He was a man of integrity and who had a spotless record during service and had won many medals and awards for his duty towards the state and country and society.

He had been honored many a time by the Lions club, Rotary club and had even won the prestigious Presidents award for excellence in the line of duty.

Yet, Dr.Subash Rao, Managing director of Global hospitals saw the same man, much older than Raman bow to his waist and say, ' Master, I see you and greet you.'

If that was not astonishing enough, Jayaprakash then stood erect bringing his feet together while his right arm executed a perfect salute.

He then saw Raman bend his head and say, ' Otagai ni rei' and then both men shook hands and hugged each other.

Unable to contain his curiosity and excitement, he asked Jayaprakash, ' Jp, who is this young man really and why are you bowing to him? You are a retired senior police officer. So, why are you saluting this young man who has been sent to help us when we might need a host of high-profile advocates to get us out of this mess.

Jayaprakash turned to his boss and MD of Global hospitals, ' sir, You have met Raman in his capacity as a lawyer but he is much more than that and probably more than even what I am aware of for I am not in the loop anymore since my retirement.'

Raman smiled and his eyes twinkled, ' sir, you are lying for it is obvious that you have met my sensei DGP Devarajan who has let you in on what I am doing right now .'

Subash Rao, who had looked a nervous wreck a few minutes earlier began to breathe more calmly and then asked Jayaprakash, ' JP, who is Raman, and what does he really do?

' Sir, Raman is an officer working with Raw as a legal consultant and who also just happens to report directly to the Prime Minister himself.'

He looked at his boss, ' sir, do you remember those two bomb blasts in the general hospital and in the commissioner's office and the man who saved many lives on both occasions. This is that man, that hero who took down the people behind those crimes and who were also behind the  assassination of Vijay Bhaskar, the only son of Minister Durai Pandi Arumugam and also of Miss Poornima, the only daughter of Brigadier Sooryanarayanan in Delhi.'

Jayaprakash threw a proud arm around Raman and declared to Subash Rao, ' Imagine the Prime minister personally coming to visit you while you are in the army hospital and awarding you the Param Vir chakra and then spending more than an hour having breakfast with you and your family. Well, this is that same, Raman.'

Looking at Raman, Jp continued, ' I saluted him for two reasons, One, because he is not just an advocate but also a Major in the army which makes him a higher ranking officer than me and the other because of his gallantry and service to the nation and its people and all the sacrifices he has made and is still making.'

He looked at Managing director Subash Rao, ' boss, if he has been sent here, then it means we are saved and there is nothing to worry about anymore.'

Jannal Oram 400

What we see on television is not the complete truth? What we read in newspapers is never the whole truth? What we see with our own eyes is never ever the truth? What appears before us, is the truth, and truth, is what we make of it in our own mind's and that mind is another rather sticky subject altogether.

They had seen Modi roaring in pure Hindi and sometimes quoting in chaste and pure Sanskrit and some of them in the room thought of him as a fanatic, a Hindu fundamentalist, and a dictator.

But, none could say that the man had no charisma for it flowed like the deep sea and filled the room and filled their beings.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted all of them with folded hands and addressed them ' I am very sorry for this rude interruption of what seems to be a sacred family moment. But, I was pressed for time and I had to meet Mr.Raman and thank him in person  for his services before I left for Delhi.'

Raman who had been sitting on the bed slowly got to his feet and saluted his new boss, the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, who himself quickly covered the distance and went into the center of the circle where Raman was and both shook hands warmly.

The door opened and two army men carrying small trays entered and stood on either side of Prime Minister Modi who reached to his right and picked up a small medallion with a purple ribbon and pinned it to Raman's heavily bandaged chest

Prime Minister Modi looked at the medallion on the bandages ' A fitting place for a fitting decoration. It is no wonder that both your seniors here have been filling my ears with your praises.'

Raman did not know what he did or why he did for he did it unconsciously. He bent and touched the feet of Narendra Modi who blessed him and then looking into Raman's eyes ' we just go back Ram Janmabhoomi and we now have a Raman to go with it. How fitting?'

' Sir, if you don't mind, will you join us for breakfast, please?'

Hearing this bold but sweet request, Prime Minister Narendra Modi turned to see Kamakshi holding a plate of Rava Kesari and replied ' Thank you Ji. I caught the smells of all this delicious food as I entered and went mad with hunger and just as I was thinking that I might have to go back without sampling all this awesome looking food, here you are with a plate full of my favorite dish.'

He took the plate offered by Jeeva's mother Kamakshi and placed a spoon full of sweet Kesari into his mouth and went still in shock as if he had been suddenly electrified by an open wire and quickly ate a few more spoonfuls and looked at Kamakshi ' behenji, what is this? Please, don't ever call it Rava Kesari for that will be an insult. This is nectar, ambrosia from the heavens and maybe this is what the Devas and Asuras were churning the  oceans for.'

Kamakshi blushed like a teenage girl and Raman said ' Sir, that Nectar is just the tip of the ice-berg for our lady who also happens to be both my mother and mother-in-law has many other nectars up her sleeve.'

Prime Minister Narendra Modi spent nearly 25 minutes with them and then he slowly stood up and looked at all of them and said ' I am inviting all of you to my place for lunch and I would be honored if all of you accept my request and grace me with your presence.'

Raman looked at him ' sir, you but have to order and we will be there and it will be a great honor for all of us.'

Prime Minister Narendra Modi held Raman's hands ' beta, the honor will be mine. All of you look at me as the Prime Minister when in fact I am just your servant and I am here to serve all of you.'

Folding his hands ' we will talk more, soon and often, Ram. But, now rest, heal, and recover completely and then come and join us for this great nation needs souls, and leaders like you. Not just to protect and defend but also lead us into a better and greater future.'

Raman saluted his boss, the Prime Minister of India, and said ' I will sir and that is a promise.'

They all stood still and pinched themselves to see if it was all real or a dream and if they had just spent so much quality time with their nation's leader.

Raman looked at Jeeva ' did you feel the fire burning in him?' and Jeeva nodded ' yes baby. But, his eyes were the ones that were really captivating.'

Slowly, all of them gathered around Raman and touched the rather dull-looking medal with its vague purple colors and Shaktivel wondered ' what is this medal and what does it, stand for?'

General V.K.Singh, Additional secretary, office of joint operation, RAW glanced with a smile at Brigadier   Sooryanarayanan who answered Raman's father's question ' That, people is the Param Vir Chakra, India's highest military decoration, awarded for distinguished acts of valor during wartime. Param Vir Chakra translates as the "Wheel of the Ultimate Brave", and the award is granted for "most conspicuous bravery in the presence of the enemy".

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4919631?pn=102&pc=151910462&pr=1

light_dark thumbnail

Combo packs

Maybe, you think like me. Maybe not. But, does it matter whether we think the same way, remember the same things. Surely not and even Mother Nature will agree to that. Mother nature, satish ( Oh F..k. not again).

I am sorry but yes, I am back with my twisted thoughts and skewed take on life and our lives.

Come on, give me a bit of room, leeway to say my piece.

Look out at life spread before you and ask, ' Why so much variety? Why sexes even, meaning male and female for reproduction when life was sailing smoothly splitting itself into two and that two into another two and so and so forth? Why then did Nature decide to create Adam and Eve and the need for sex and reproduction and then again, give a different DNA count for each and every one of us. A sheer waste of energy and resources but it did and has done and is still doing following some strange gameplan and blueprint.

Now with that said, you must be clear that Mother nature is the one who is really twisted and I who I am writing this am just her creation.

Coming back to what was lodged in my brain, in my soul like a barb, a tumor causing pain for the past few days.

There are certain scenes from films that are seared, scarred, branded on my thought process and the lines from those scenes are very precious to me and I sometimes try saying them when I am on my own and in my own world.

' yenna, en manasu en kaiyula ille. ( Because my heart is not with me). Mouna Raagam. 1986

' Naalu peru saapdrathukku, oruthar kashta padruthila thappila. ( one person suffering is okay if it means it will put food on the table for many).Nayagan. 1987

yenna, en uyira vida nee thaan enakku mukkiyam. ( You are more important to me than my own life). Idhayathai Thirudathe 1989

Last week, I was done with the first scene and was informed by the director that my next scene was only after lunch. I came back to my room and thought I would finish the book that I have been wanting to finish for a couple of weeks now.

But, soon lost interest in it and so condemned myself with browsing the trolls and memes about me on YOUTUBE for my role in Baakiyalakshmi.

Some vile, some poisonous although some were pretty hilarious.

My fingers sensing my thoughts typed Geetanjali in the search box and I began to watch the film and lost myself in it and yes, it's music.

Idhayathai Thirudathe is the dubbed version of Geetanjali which released in Telugu first. I have seen both versions and I like the original better. Ditto with Saagara sangamam aka Salangai oli, Indrudu chandrudu aka indran chandran, Shiva aka udhayam.

I am sorry but I have to confess that Ilayaraja's music is just out of the world and I really wish Mani sir and Isaignani get back together and create new and more magic.

Rahman is good but...................... I like Ilayaraja better.

Mani and ilayaraja combo will be like masala and dosai, idli and sambhar, thayir and vadai, hot rice with fish curry, cake with ice cream or a big bowl of payasam after a full course meal.

Aiyo. Aiyo. Time is just whizzing by and it might be too late now. But, we can dream, one can dream and hope right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHNs-5_I03Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A14HlgS8gpo

light_dark thumbnail

Vaanathai Pola 305

While Raman was renewing his friendship with Jayaprakash in the cabin of Dr. Subash Rao, Managing director of Global hospitals, Kavita was just finishing up treating Appu, Pappu,  and Meena to an overdose of icecreams and not very far away from where he was right at that moment. Radhu along with his aide, Old man, was busy gathering as much information as possible about the missing Brigadier Prakash Malhotra whose name, the peon Shekar had revealed before being killed by the Old man.

About this time, in Greamways road, in the house of Minister Durai Pandi Arumugam, his wife Sharadha Arumugam looked at him worriedly, ' It really does not matter which religion or which caste Mr.Radha Krishnan belongs to for the only thing that matters is that our only remaining child is in love with him and wants to marry him.'

Durai Pandi closed his eyes for he did not want to show his anger, frustration that he felt at his wife on hearing her declaration about the situation between Kavita and Radhu, but failed in his attempt for his wife was a grandmaster at reading his cues, subtle changes in moods and expressions. After all, they had been married for more than 35 years, shared the same bed and so obviously was tuned to his radio frequencies and so was in tune to all his stations of thought.

It was a very rare thing for her to use his name and if she did then it meant she was deadly serious and also meant business.

' Durai, I repeat, our daughter's welfare and future are more important than our standing in the party and society. So, don't put any stumbling blocks in her way for that will upset me and it will break my heart.'

Durai Pandi Arumugam looked at her and probably looked at her the very same way Julius Ceasar looked at Brutus after being stabbed by him and only whispered in sadness, ' Et Tu, Brute? ( 'You too, Brutus)' and sank to his knees in death.

' Sharadha' he called her in a sad voice and she knew immediately that he was really hurt, saddened by her words, and all she could do was look at him pathetically and say in her defense, ' I want Kavita to be happy.'

Durai Pandi looked at her, ' and I don't want her to be happy. Is that what you think of me after all these years of being with me?'

Unable to control his anger and disappointment, he looked at her with a harsh expression, ' Vijay or Kavita? who did you love more?'

Sharadha Arumugam froze hearing this question and whimpered, ' what is wrong with you? Of course, I loved them both equally and always treated them the same way and without any partiality.'

She wiped her eyes that were welling up with hot tears and repeated her question, ' how dare you ask me that and why now at this moment?'

Durai Pandi Arumugam looked at her and turned away and whispered, ' forget it. I was just being spiteful and petty.'

Sharadha Arumugam shook her head vehemently, ' no, I know you very well and that you never do or say anything without meaning or purpose. So, please, tell me why prompted you to ask me that question?'

Durai Pandi turned and faced her and stared at her for a long moment and said, ' when we were told about the killing of our son Vijay, what did you feel, Sharadha?'

' What, what kind of question is this? I felt like I was dying and that it was the end of the world.'

More tears began to flow down her cheeks and furiously wiping them, she asked, ' why now, why this strange and creepy question?'

Durai Pandi Arumugam smiled sadly, ' when we heard that our child was killed, you said you felt like dying but I did. My heart stopped beating and I died but for some unknown reason I was sent back.'

Sharadha Arumugam stared at him unable to make sense of his words and her husband Durai Pandi continued, ' you only felt like dying while I actually died and am still dying and yet you accuse me of being a bad father and not loving my daughter enough.'

He flung the newspaper that was on his lap to the corner of the hall and roared, ' you are a woman and will always think like a woman. But, there is a whole world outside this house and your kitchen that is far dangerous than you can ever imagine or conceive in your wildest nightmares.'

He glared at her in anger, ' Our child brings in a man who can kill another human with a single kick and put many others in the hospital where they might remain for a few months, and then again there is a chance that they will never be normal again.'

Sharadha's eyes opened wide in shock and only then she began to realize that she might have erred and spoke too soon and out of turn and tried to placate her husband.

Durai Pandi did not need any placating for he had calmed himself and looked at her accusingly, ' All you mothers and that too all over the world think that only you know what is best for your child but don't stop to think for one second about the father who is in the picture and right next to you both. What about his opinion and what about what he thinks and feels?'

Sharadha realizing that she had over-reacted decided that the best thing was to remain silent.

' Sharadha, I have invited Commissioner Vishwanathan to learn more about our future son-in-law Mr.Radha Krishnan and not because he called his mother " Ammi"  in Urdu. It does not matter if he is Muslim, Christian, or some alien. All that matters to me is the welfare and safety of my only child. I have to see to it for I know I won't be around much longer with this broken heart.'

Sharadha could not take it any longer and she jumped to her feet and went and hugged her husband who looked at her angrily and accusingly like a child would do and said, ' Et Tu, Sharadha?'

For more details about this chapter, please visit these given pages and read chapters 282 and 283 for clarification.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4919631?pn=177&pc=155481871&pr=1

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4919631?pn=178&pc=155545105&pr=1

light_dark thumbnail

Vaanathai Pola 306

The black Toyota corolla of Commissioner Vishwanathan pulled into the compound of Tamil Nadu Finance Minister, Thiru Durai Pandi Arumugam's house, and both Commissioner Vishwanathan and Deputy Commissioner Ilavarasan got out of the vehicle and looked at each other and after nodding, walked into the house where they were being expected.

Commissioner Vishwanathan whispered, ' A word of caution, Ila. Mr.Arumugam is genuinely a good man and I have known him for nearly 25 years now and I have not heard one bad thing about him. So, tread with respect and treat him gently and remember the tragedy that they suffered that is still a raw and gaping wound in their souls.'

DC Ilavarasan shrugged casually, ' my lips are zipped and sealed for this is your show and I am just a passenger in this meeting. I hear you but if the Minister asks me for an opinion, I will be forced to give it. Think about that, Vishy.'

The entire police team that was assigned with the security and protection of the house rushed to meet both their senior officers and saluted them and greeted them with great enthusiasm.

Then, the duty Inspector showed them in and presented them to Durai Pandi and his wife Sharadha Arumugam.

Durai Pandi gestured them both to sit down in the chairs that were placed not too far from them and Sharadha Arumugam stood up and asked them what they would like to have.

Both the officers chose coffee and she left them but not before throwing a knowing look at her husband and a look that was not missed by both the IPS officers.

Commissioner Vishwanathan politely enquired as to how Durai Pandi was doing and how well he was recovering from his heart attack and the minister answered him politely.

Then he looked at DC Ilavarasan and said, ' I remember you from your first posting in Madurai as an Assistant Commissioner for prisons and all the hell and headaches that you created for me and the chief minister back in 1992.'

DC Ilavarasan smiled politely, ' I was just doing the right thing, sir. But, all credit to you for even remembering me and that incident.'

Durai Pandi smiled, ' Only my heart suffered but not my brain that is still ticking and doing well for the time being.'

He looked at both of them and apologized for summoning them while they were on duty and glanced at the kitchen and said, ' This concerns my daughter, so I am forced to make both of you wait until my wife joins us for then there will be no need for an inquisition and interrogation of me at her hands.'

Sharadha Arumugam walked in with a tray and placing it on the table in front of the guests, sat down in the chair next to her husband and both proceeded to stare at the police officers.

Both looked at each other and thought the exact thoughts, ' I would rather take on a gang of criminals than sit and be stared at in this way.'

Just when Commissioner Vishwanathan was weighing his thoughts and words, his colleague broke the ice and picking up the cup of coffee looked directly at Minister Durai Pandi, and said, ' Sir, you said this meeting concerns your daughter. So.....'

Durai Pandi nodded, ' Thank you for broaching the subject for I was really in two minds about this whole meeting and also confiding about our family situation.'

Struggling with his emotions, he lowered his head and mumbled, ' I am a minister and I know what powers I have at my disposal but I have never misused them and I don't plan to begin now, even though it concerns my daughter.'

Commissioner Vishwanathan smiled politely and looked at Minister Durai Pandi, ' sir, I am trying hard to recollect the last time that you asked me for a favor and only one situation comes to mind and that was concerning the privacy of your son's funeral. You have never, ever used the police department for any personal work and importantly have never used police power against any of your enemies even when we were willing to do that for you.'

Sharadha Arumugam looked at the commissioner, ' Sir, my husband is too good and decent a man to ask for help. So, please, allow me to do that.'

Durai Pandi placed a hand on hers and she looked at him and he shook his head and began to speak.

' Commissioner sir, I am talking to you as a father and parent of a daughter who has just been told by her of her intentions to get married.'

He looked at them and smiled in a way that would have made a barren, cloudless sky cry tears of rain and said, ' Any father would have been overjoyed on hearing his child speak about her marriage but not this father for the man she wants to get married to is none other than the eye in the current storm, Mr.Radha Krishnan.'

Commissioner Vishwanathan absorbed the news and taking a deep breath slowly looked at DC Ilavarasan who had nothing to offer but the raise of his right eyebrow and a nod of his head.

Sharadha Arumugam noticing this looked at her husband who too had noticed the subtle exchange of thoughts and he asked, ' So, you are aware of the situation between Kavita and Mr.Radha Krishnan?'

light_dark thumbnail

Avan, Aval, Adhu-17

I do not trust people who don't love themselves and yet tell me, 'I love you.' There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt. Maya Angelou

Gayatri looked at Ravi and enquired in a casual tone, ' Please forgive me for prying but you left in a hurry last night. I hope things are okay and under control.'

Ravi laughed and answered ' Control, ma'am. The only control one can ever hope to have is of one's own self, emotions and actions. Everything else and everyone else is their own masters and should exercise their own will and control.'

Gayatri thought to herself, ' The years just fall away when he laughs so openly and without any guile' and gently pushing away her thoughts about the man, looked at him in a curious way and asked, ' But, you have this whole village under your control and even away from this Utopian land that you have created here, your very name spells respect and fear. So, why the strange answer, Ravi sir?'

Ganesan stepped on the brakes and brought the autorickshaw to a screeching halt and turned to face both Ravi and Gayatri eagerly and with anticipation filling his eyes.

Ravi looked at him, ' Brahma alone knows the reason for stopping the auto but I would also like to be involved in his knowledge if that is possible.'

Ganesan smiled, ' Master sir, You were about to answer a serious question that ma'am had just asked and I felt that the irritating noise of the Rickshaw's exhaust would make it hard for me to hear your answer.'

Gayatri tapped Ganesan's head and said, ' serious question. I am sorry to disappoint you Brahma but it was just a request for a simple explanation for Master sir's answer.'

' Sorry to disappoint you ma'am and please don't think of me as being arrogant and impertinent when I say that I know my sir very well and nothing is .....' and hurriedly and worriedly glanced at Ravi who sighed and said, ' you might as well finish what you were saying. Please go ahead for I trust you and your opinions about me.'

He looked at Gayatri for a moment that felt like a year to her and asked in a strange voice, ' Ma'am, what did you mean that my name spells fear even away from here?'

Ravi turned his face and stared at Ganesan who unable to take the withering and questioning look, went back to his driving position leaving Gayatri to wonder what was going on between the Master and his ward.

Gayatri decided to intercede and told Ravi that she would answer his question after he had answered hers that had come first.

' Okay, now both of you owe me answers and I will not take no for an answer', and  saying this she pulled Ganesan by his arm and said, ' finish what you were going to say' and getting no response from him looked at Ravi, ' Okay, this snail has withdrawn into its shell, so that leaves you and your explanation.'

She looked at him with twinkling eyes, ' or is the big snail too going to retreat?'

' No ma'am, nothing to retreat from for I was just about to share my opinion about the control we have in our lives and the control people should have over their enthusiasms, emotions, and last but not least, their opinions.'

Gayatri realizing that Ravi was gently rebuking Ganesan but at the same time teaching him decided that it was prudent to stay away from their dynamics and instead looked at him questioningly, ' Control, you were about to say something.'

' Ma'am, in my opinion, the word control can be used and practiced for one's own purpose and cannot be extended to others be it family or the outside world.'

Gayatri smiled and nodded, ' I get the gist of it but please Mr.Ravi, I humbly request you to complete what you are saying.'

Ravi smiled shyly, ' It is a very simple concept ma'am. Self-control is something every person should have and practice but with understanding and realization of it. I can control myself, my thoughts, speech, and actions but the moment my control begins to extend and pervade over others it loses its sanctity and becomes domination and manipulation and transforms into power.'

He looked at her and then he cleared his throat and Gayatri saw Ganesan's head automatically swivel like an owl to face his master but his eyes seemed to be glued to the floor of the Rickshaw.

Ravi got down and Gayatri too got down and came and stood next to him and he continued, ' Power is bad ma'am and it corrupts and rusts a man and his soul. You are mistaken if you think that the people of this small town are under my control for they are not. They are bound to me like I am bound to them through something very tender but powerful and that thing is called...'

Gayatri looked at Ravi and whispered, ' Love. Am I right, Master sir?'

' Yes, ma'am. Only through love can anything good and pure be done. Power and control I agree do yield results but they vary and are very different in nature.'

He looked into the distance and said in a sad voice, ' Love can conquer all and everything. Even the worst pain and sorrow is made bearable with love.'

Edited by radhu_kavita - 3 years ago
light_dark thumbnail

*William Shakespeare came to get vaccinated.*

*Nurse: Which arm?* 

*Shakespeare:* _*As you like it.*_

*Nurse: Was that painful?* 

*Shakespeare:* _*Much ado about nothing.*_ 

*Nurse: You will have to have a second jab.* 

*Shakespeare:* _*Measure for measure?*_ 

*Nurse: So what do you think of the govt handling of Covid?*

*Shakespeare:* _*Comedy of Errors.*_

Nurse : this Covid vaccine will save your life 

Shakespeare : To be , or not to be. That is the question.

light_dark thumbnail

Vaanathai Pola 307

' So, you are aware of the situation between Kavita and Mr.Radha Krishnan?' Minister Durai Pandi Arumugam asked, his lips asked but his eyes asked more, several more questions, and all of them were aimed at Commissioner Vishwanathan's soul.

Commissioner Vishwanathan was an honest man and one who took great pride in his honesty and that reflected in the way he worked as an IPS officer. But, he too was a man, a parent, a friend and so there had been a few times when he had lied and knowingly and willingly so.

He heard the question and yet took his time to answer for the person, the people who sat before him waiting for his reply were not just friends but well-wishers and to whom he owed a lot and then again they belonged to the ruling party and that carried its own burden and obligations.

' Commissioner sir' Sharadha Arumugam called him and Vishwanathan looked up and said, ' ma'am' and she smiled and spoke from her heart, clearly and frankly.

' This is the same house that you have come so often to visit us and we are the same people who you and your family have known for more than 25 years. Our daughter Kavita is the same child that you often say is like your own child. So, answer the question as if you would if someone asked you about your daughter.

Durai Pandi Arumugam went one step further than his wife and said, ' I am really sorry for putting you in a spot. Please, forgive this old man and his wife for crossing the line that separates friendship and duty.'

He smiled and waving his hand, ' It is okay. You don't have to answer my question and forget that I even asked you that.'

Leaning back into the sofa that he was sitting on, he enquired about the Commissioner's family and how his son and daughter were doing.

Deputy Commissioner Ilavarasan stared at his friend and colleague from the IPS Academy and sat quietly pondering as to why Vishy was not forthcoming with the information that the minister and his wife were asking for but since he was a subordinate he sat unable to say anything.

Commissioner Vishwanathan leaned forward and just from that simple movement it was obvious that his mind had been made up and that he was going to in fact going to answer the question about Kavita and Radha Krishnan.

' Sir, ma'am, I know what I am going to tell you will be a bit weird but it is the truth and a highly embarrassing one at that.

Both Durai Pandi and Sharadha looked at each other worriedly and waited for what the Commissioner was going to say and he said it.

' As of this moment, the police department has no clue as to who Mr.Radha Krishnan is but for the one fact that he has been active only for the past two weeks and we only have a little knowledge about his activities from those two weeks.'

light_dark thumbnail

Homeland

I am buying a flat. We are in the market for a new house. They just moved into a new apartment.

You mean, home, right. Hello, Naa solrathu, kekutha.

She is a house-wife. You mean, not home-wife.

( Similarly, when we die, they say " Body eppo edukkuraanga and not satisha eppo edukkuraanga) WTF. WHY IS THAT?

Home is where the heart is and I am the owner of many homes and happily, luckily, many have also built their homes in my heart and soul.

Welcome to homeland. Naa solrathu, Puriyutha.

House. Concrete structure. Cement, bricks, metal rods for bones, paint for make-up, windows for sight and sight aduchufying and ventilation, pipes for plumbing like veins and arteries.

Aiyo, saniyan, korangu ( yeah, it is me) again going up the tree and asking us to climb up with it. 7 1/2 start.

Hey, iru, what are you talking about, House or human body.

For want of a better word, love, I use the word love and do so, freely, without inhibition letting, hoping my eyes and their lights translate the real meaning.

House, home. where are they both at?

In words, in messages, in e-mails, in sharing even if it is done via a mobile phone.

It takes energy to make an audio and video call. That energy if real and pure comes from the soul and that will do.

Time is precious even if it is wasted. But, as long as it is not wasted by others and only by you and yourself.

So, even a WhatsApp message sent by someone I care about takes on a homely feeling.

Home is a feeling, a utopian residence that resides, floats, flies unfettered by the bonds of cement and metal and other earthly objects.

When I feel home-sick, I call, chat, see, and share, and I am cured and I am much better.

The English word “home” is from the Old English word ham (not the pig) which actually refers to a village or estate where many “souls” are gathered. It implies there’s a physical dwelling involved, but the main idea is that it’s a gathering of people. One dictionary I came across online had an interpretation of the modern definition of home that I really like. It states that home is “the abiding place of the affections.” To me, that sums it up like nothing else. It’s not a building or a room, but a place where your love dwells.

The Latin root word for home is actually the same word we use for a human being, persons, and people. At its very core home is where not just your heart is, but the hearts of those you love and trust. This is why most of our homes are adorned with photos on the wall. It’s a custom that dates back a thousand years and has to do with the fact that people hung portraits on the wall to show visitors who their ancestors and loved ones were that once lived in that home. Today, we continue this tradition but more so to show the hearts and faces of the people that are welcome in our homes.

Holy crap, I only have photos of Gods hanging in my house, I mean in the hall.

Pogattum vidu. God only created us so rightfully he and she are our ancestors.