Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 months ago

Avan, Aval Adhu 435

“Some things in life are too complicated to explain in any language.” Haruki Murakami

The hum of the air humidifiers filled the lull that fell between them. She looked into his open, honest, and soft eyes and wondered to herself, ' Nothing has changed from then. His eyes have remained the same as I last saw them bent over my face that lay in his lap.'

Using his right index finger to brush away the few strands of hair that had fallen on her face, he kissed her eyes and asked, ' Madam, have you lost something?'

' Lost and found. Lost and gained ' Madhu declared philosophically and sighing looked at Ravi, ' Why is this life so damn hard to live, Jaanu? Why cannot we have everything and live happily ever after? Why is there so much drama in all our lives?'

From the way his eyelids dropped like iron shutters on his eyes, his soul windows, Madhu knew that she had made a mistake by venting out her angst, and then like shutters being pulled up with difficulty, she saw him struggle to lift his lids over his sight and then she saw his lips spread in a wry smile.

' Master, pain in your eyes along with a painful smile don't do justice to my Jaanu ' and used her fingers to caress his lips.

' Madhu, I remember you talking about your Grandpa who you and everyone else addressed as " Dada" and I still remember all the stories he told you and which you told me.'

He saw her eyes darken in gloom and glisten in tears and heard her say sadly, ' He did not last long. He passed away a few months after my arrival here in Kumarapalayam.'

Ravi hugged her gently and in his arms, she felt safe and secure. He held her head against his chest and caressed her tenderly, ' I too have thought long and hard about life and why it is so complicated.'

Raising her head she looked at him and asked, ' and..'

Ravi smiled and kissed her forehead, ' The answer lies in the origin of life on this planet and other worlds all around the universe.'

' Jaanu, Earth and this life on it is confusing enough. So, I will stick to us and our world.'

' Smart lady and a smart answer.'

' What is so smart about limiting myself and sticking to basics and what I know for sure, Jaanu?'

' I used the word smart in comparison and reference to great minds that are working on solving the mysteries of how this universe formed and how big it is and what make it tick.'

She blinked and said, ' Baby, you lost me there although knowing you, I am sure that you are just circling the pond before diving in. So, stop circling and tell me what you make out of life and why it is damn complicated.'

' Sure, Madhu' and raising his hands, ' but promise me that you will not beat me up if my thoughts end up boring you or worse, end up filling you with more questions than answers.'

Throwing her hands around his slim waist, ' There I have you locked and trapped. Now out with your answers.'

' Madhu, have you ever wondered as to what must have happened on this planet billions of years ago?'

She looked at him with sad eyes and said, ' Baby, look at us or just look at my life and all that has happened in 25 years. Now ask me that question about earth and billions of years ago.'

Pointing to all the books, ' I stopped reading a long time ago.'

' I don't believe that. Not you ' Ravi exclaimed loudly and Madhu with a twinkle in her eyes, ' I meant reading books about general stuff and subjects that concern science and history.'

He looked at her curiously, ' So, you were reading after all?'

' Yes, after I joined my late husband's company, I did my Bsc Commerce through correspondence and also my MBA and...'

She paused and looked at him, ' All that for later. Now tell me what you were about to tell before I interrupted you.'

' Nothing much to tell. Just a notion, a thought about how all this started and why it started at all.'

' What are you talking about, Ravi?'

' Life, Madhu. The origins of life and who we are and why we are the way we are right now.'

Her brows furrowed in question and in doubt and seeing them Ravi smiled, ' I began with your " Dada " and I am going back and back to his origins.'

' Hold on master. Just hold on for a second now. Our family history stops somewhere with my grandfather's grandfather and after that, there is Zero knowledge about my ancestry.'

Ravi nodded, ' Same here, baby. It is the same with us and most of us. But, if  we go back and back our human ancestry comes to a fork, a bend where we homo-sapiens split off from another primitive species of us early humans and if we go further back we come to our ancestors, the Chimps, and Gorillas.'

Stepping back and raising his right index finger, ' But what before that and what billions of years before that?'

' What about that, Jaanu?'

' If we go back to the beginning we end up with single-cell organisms and further back we come to a single cell. I literally mean that. One cell that began all this.'

' I am sorry, Ravi. But where are you going with all this?'

' To the point when the single cell split itself up, divided itself and kept doing that until it came to the point when it evolved into a multicellular being.'

' Okay. I get that. So?'

' Good. The question is why did the single cell feel the need to divide itself.'

light_dark thumbnail
light_dark thumbnail

Avan, Aval Adhu 436

He looked at her and she looked at him and time looked at both of them.

' Madhu, when we trace back all life on this planet, and by that I mean what was, what is, and what will ever be, we come to that single cell that somehow decided that it would be a chemical compound no more and decided to think for itself.'

' Think, as in consciousness. like us humans?'

' No, I mean life and genetic material. DNA and RNA.'

He smiled shyly and the boy, the teenager she had once known revealed himself and she whispered, ' Jaanu, there is only you and me here. So...'

He smiled and nodding his head slowly stepped back and waved his hands in the direction of all the bookshelves, ' There is so much knowledge here in just this room. Enough knowledge to make a person qualify as the most intelligent human on this planet and yet...'

' Yet..' she asked and he answered, ' Not one of them has a definite answer as to how life began on this planet. All of them are mere hypotheses and conjecture and would not stand up as proof even in our lower courts.'

She saw his eyes quickly dart around and then saw him pick out a large book and caught a glimpse of the title " A brief history of Time" and looked at Ravi who patted the book and said, ' Stephen Hawking wrote this as his body was slowly sinking into a mire of disease and he would soon be confined to a wheelchair.'

' Ravi, Jaanu ' she said his name endearingly and he looked at her, ' Just like that question as to why a single cell decided to divide itself and start off on this journey of evolution, everything about our lives are mere assumptions and conjecture. We think we are in charge of our lives but we are not. Are we..?

Her eyes went big and wide as she began to understand what he was getting to and what he had been alluding to and she looked at him with fear in her heart.

' When and why this Universe began and why life began on this tiny speck of a planet are all fundamental questions that we have no answers to and that brings us to your question as to why there is so much pain, sorrow, and chaos in all our lives?' Ravi said in an ominous tone and then that softened and he said, ' I don't have the answers to them and I don't have the answers to what tomorrow will bring but I have an answer for you that I hope will suffice for now.'

She blinked rapidly and saw him throw a glance at the window outside and the world outside and heard him say, ' There is one thing, just one thing I am sure of right now and which I have been sure of from the time I saw you.'

Turning to face her, ' I love you and I will love you, cherish you, and protect you until life flows in me. That is my solemn oath to you.'

Seeing her eyes fill with tears, he shook his head, ' We come to go someone said and even though it is profound in its meaning, what is even more profound and is largely ignored is what we do in between the coming and going of life and death.'

He smiled and the power of it filled her heart with light and burnt away the vestiges of lingering fear of the past and the present and his words filled her with hope.

' I know why I am here, Madhu. I am here to take care of you when you need me to take care of you. I am here to give you my arms and my shoulders for you to lean on and rest when you need them and to hold you and tell you that it is going to be okay.'

Planting a soft kiss on her forehead, ' It does not really matter if we get married tomorrow or the day after that or years after that. What matters to me is your happiness and well-being and for that, I am willing to do anything and also give up everything.'

She hugged him fiercely and said, ' Thank you, Jaanu. Thank you. I am ready now and I want us to get married tomorrow.'

She looked up into his eyes and asked, ' Will you marry me and make me all yours now?'

light_dark thumbnail

Sheela donated Rs.5000 to PM/ CM Relief Fund... 

On the other hand, Pandu bought a whisky bottle worth Rs 5000... 

The question is, _who contributed more..._

01. On the Rs 5000 that Sheila donated, she got a 30% tax rebate. Therefore, she actually landed up earning back Rs 1500. In other words, _by donating Rs 5000, she made a net contribution of just Rs 3500..._

02. On Alcohol, the total taxes (excise and GST) added up to approx. 72% of the MRP. So, _when Pandu paid Rs 5000, Rs 3600 went to the state exchequer...!_

_*...And he got the pleasure of enjoying 12.5 pegs of Whisky...!!!*_

🍷🍻🍷

Therefore, not only did Pandu contribute more, he created jobs at the Distillery, their suppliers of labels, bottles, caps, machinery etc., and jobs at the Marketing Company, jobs at the Wine Shop, and moreover, he was in High Spirits, doing so...! 

On the other side... 

Sheila doesn't  even know where her money went...!!!

Think of it...! 

Next time, when you Buy a Bottle of Whisky, ‘YOU’ Serve your Nation...!!!

Be a Responsible Citizen. Have a lovely Monsoon and also be in High Spirits...!!!

🍻😇🤩

light_dark thumbnail
light_dark thumbnail

For language aficionados here are some intelligent puns..creating some good fun..in the bargain!!!

1. My best mates and I played a game of hide and seek. It went on for hours... Well, good friends are hard to find.

2.  You’re not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example.

3. I broke my finger last week.On the other hand, I’m okay.

4. Someone stole my Microsoft Office and they’re gonna pay.

You have my Word.

5.  Don't spell part backwards.

It's a trap.

6.  And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”

But John came fifth, and he got hell.

7. What is the best thing about living in Switzerland? 

Well, the flag is a big plus.

8. Did you hear about the guy who got hit in the head with a can of soda? He was lucky it was a soft drink.

9. How did I escape Iraq? 

Iran.

10. To the mathematician who thought of the idea of zero. Thanks for nothing!

11. Son: "Dad, can you tell me what a solar eclipse is?"

Dad: "No sun."

12  My math teacher called me average. 

How mean!

13 Clinic Receptionist: “Doctor, there's a patient on line that says he's become invisible". 

Doctor: “Well, tell him I can't see him right now." 😁

Leprechaun thumbnail

From & To Sathish #6

Continue here ^^