Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: AllThatCritique

Coming from Shabana Azmi this tweet could have several colors but the tweet itself is not wrong and shouldnt be taken as inflammatory or offensive in any way. And the fact that one cant say the same about vile practices is Islam is only proof of that Hinduism still hasn't reached that level of religious intolerance that all these other religions show. People in a rational and ideal world should be able to discuss the many wrongdoings and vile practices by Mohammad himself without getting gunned down like in Paris or blowed up or being called Islamophobic.

I think we as a religion and culture take names of goddesses too seriously and actually have none of that concern for girls themselves. Navratri or Durga puja would be the perfect opportunity to remind the so called devout that its time to respect real women and not women made out of mud and clay. So I find the names used appropriate.

Thank you. This is what bothers me about people who claim to be defenders of Hinduism. Shouldn't they be taking pride in the fact that Hinduism allows people freedom of expression, freedom to dissent? If you want to appreciate Hinduism, read the scriptures. Learn the wisdom of the vedas. That is true respect. Not getting into a "who is more intolerant" contest.
1140587 thumbnail

Originally posted by: simim

Your explanation is totally incorrect. If she had said No Lakshmi would hoard wealth, no Durga would endanger tigers no kali would kill people and so on then your no Mohammed would marry Ayesha would make some sense. Her tweet is in no way derogatory to any Hindu goddesses. What it's saying is that while a goddess is worshipped ordinary women are being given a raw deal.
Now if she were to say this on Eid unfortunately she would not be able to name any goddesses but I would still like to see her say that on this Eid I pray to Allah that no Ayesha is forced into a Burqua, no Fatima is forced to undergo FGM, and so on. While it's not a perfect parallel it brings out the troublesome issues.
So onto your post...once again the parallel you draw is not the right one

Unfortunately you are wrong, child brides under sharia law is permissible, and is allowed in many countries where sharia is implemented. So my argument still stands, it's an issue that affects girls, their lives are destroyed, unless you think child brides are a non-issue.
1140587 thumbnail

Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

Thank you. This is what bothers me about people who claim to be defenders of Hinduism. Shouldn't they be taking pride in the fact that Hinduism allows people freedom of expression, freedom to dissent? If you want to appreciate Hinduism, read the scriptures. Learn the wisdom of the vedas. That is true respect. Not getting into a "who is more intolerant" contest.

And it's with the same freedom of expression that people are criticising her, rightly so, FoE is not a one way street, if you put something out there, expect people to respond, if you don't like their response, and don't have the courage to handle criticism, then don't say anything in the first place, but don't cry "intolerance" because people exercised their FoE to criticise you, criticism is better than being killed or imprisoned for your views.
simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Heisenberg17_

Unfortunately you are wrong, child brides under sharia law is permissible, and is allowed in many countries where sharia is implemented. So my argument still stands, it's an issue that affects girls, their lives are destroyed, unless you think child brides are a non-issue.

Child brides is an issue everywhere not just where sharia law exists. However, thats not my point. My point is that your analogy makes sense only if Shabana had co-related the issues with characteristics of Gods like you have. For eg, if she had said that on this Janmashtami lets make sure that Bigamy is banned or something like that.
That was my point. The tweet is in no way disrespecting any Hindu God or Goddess.

However, the point to be made is that it would be nice if she uses all religious events to further the cause of downtrodden and not just Hindu festivals.

Also speaks volumes of the mindsets of ppl who dig up old tweets add an Allah and Inshallah and publish it. The intent is very clear here.
monu_tan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The fact that the tweet uses all Hindu goddesses names is too glaring to ignore.
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail

And it's with the same freedom of expression that people are criticising her, rightly so, FoE is not a one way street, if you put something out there, expect people to respond, if you don't like their response, and don't have the courage to handle criticism, then don't say anything in the first place, but don't cry "intolerance" because people exercised their FoE to criticise you, criticism is better than being killed or imprisoned for your views.

I am a little confused. I never said people shouldn't criticise Azmi. I was commenting on the logic behind the "Muslims would react this way if we said something about their Gods, therefore Hindus must too. Why? Why should I ape a different religion?
And I am all for FOE. You have the right to criticise Azmi and co and I have the right to criticise people who dig up old tweets and add an "allah to it to inflame tensions. I don't like being manipulated and lied to.
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 5 years ago
1140587 thumbnail

Originally posted by: simim

Child brides is an issue everywhere not just where sharia law exists. However, thats not my point. My point is that your analogy makes sense only if Shabana had co-related the issues with characteristics of Gods like you have. For eg, if she had said that on this Janmashtami lets make sure that Bigamy is banned or something like that.
That was my point. The tweet is in no way disrespecting any Hindu God or Goddess.

However, the point to be made is that it would be nice if she uses all religious events to further the cause of downtrodden and not just Hindu festivals.

Also speaks volumes of the mindsets of ppl who dig up old tweets add an Allah and Inshallah and publish it. The intent is very clear here.

Let me reiterate my point, Shabana highlighting social issues, using names of Hindu Goddesses, during a Hindu festival, is a bit like me highlighting social issues, like child marriages, using names of Aisha and Muhammad, during a Muslim festival... it is a cheapshot, would be considered communal and inflammatory, let's not kid ourselves.

1140587 thumbnail

Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

I am a little confused. I never said people shouldn't criticise Azmi. I was commenting on the logic behind the "Muslims would react this way if we said something about their Gods, therefore Hindus must too. Why? Why should I ape a different religion?
And I am all for FOE. You have the right to criticise Azmi and co and I have the right to criticise people who dig up old tweets and add an "allah to it to inflame tensions. I don't like being manipulated and lied to.

Who said anything about Hindus should react the way Muslims do? if religious sentiments are hurt, then people are going to voice their opinion. Shabana is receiving flak for her communal comments, and rightly so.
566912 thumbnail

All these people who have no issue with Shabana's tweet had major problems with Sonu Nigam's tweet. 😆😆 (even though he was inclusive of all religions)

P.S. -- I did not find Sonu's tweet wrong at the same time, Shabana's tweet isn't wrong. Just she and her supporters are hypocrites of highest order.
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail

Who said anything about Hindus should react the way Muslims do? if religious sentiments are hurt, then people are going to voice their opinion. Shabana is receiving flak for her communal comments, and rightly so.

Your point would be valid if Azmi had said this recently and people were just reacting out of anger or hurt sentiments. But you are glossing over the fact that this was a tweet from 2017 and that it was modified and had a "pray to allah tacked on. Why? If you are acting in good faith, why would you do something so dishonest and devious? These tactics are underhanded and vile. Please tell me why this is ok.

And @NimbuMirchi, I never had an issue with Sony Nigam, nor am I an ardent Azmi supporter. In fact I have never defended her before. But dishonesty is dishonesty.
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 5 years ago