Manisha Koirala - why does she

1142978 thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Not get the respect she deserves? I remember some years ago when she was going through her divorce and also battling her illness - cancer I believe it was, she was dumped by the entire film fraternity they all pretend like she didnt exist.
Though she was such a great and revered actress and beauty in her youth.
What happened? Why was she never able to get into a camp like others, even folks like Madhuri who are her senior in terms of career was able to get into the camps of K.Jo and Co. and she also married a very non filmi NRI similar to Sona Mona but Sona at least was born in a strong Bollyweird family- so any time in the future when she is fed up with roaming the hipster streets of Notting Hill and doing her weekly shopping and laundry by herself she will have no problem mingling right back into the weird clique of Bollyweird courtesy of having been born to Arjun and Anil Kapoor.

Though we are seeing her now in Sanju and even Lust Stories I feel she does not get the due she deserves.

Talking about Lust Stories I am watching that right now and oh wow.
👏
Edited by Sheila_jawaan - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1140816 thumbnail
She was a chain smoker n drunkard. She became overweight and also her films started flopping. I dont think she got success other than Mani Ratnam films. Also, she had lot of attitude problem due to her Royal/Political family in Nepal. Am sure she got lot of support in private but not in Public as she was hardly in India. She was settled in Nepal.

Edited by BlackPanther7 - 6 years ago
Ranjali thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
https://youtu.be/3nsPcBJAdxI
This is her Tedx video. After watching this I began liking her as a person too.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
She was in the Mani Ratnam camp for some time. It was how she got most of her acclaim. Though she is very talented and gave good performances with many other directors. I am so glad to have her back on screen. Similarly Tabu got a lot of acclaim through Vishal Bhardwaj/Gulzaar Saab. Even though a lot her performances in other films were very acclaimed. But yes Manisha never went as far as she should have in terms of both box office success or critical acclaim. She struggled for work after movies like "Dil Se." Many say she was just perhaps too talented for Bollywood.
MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
She had alchohol issues and temper issues. Many film makers who worked with her during her prime never worked with her again coz she was said to be very difficult to work with. Her relationship with Nana also spoiled many things for her in the industry coz nana had issues with almost everyone. SLB went on record and said that making khamoshi was terrifying experience for him and that Salman's presence actually helped him get through it all. Imagine if Salman was the most easy to work with person on a set then the rest of the actors might be a nightmare.! She came from an influential family who held power in Nepal through majority of her peak so her behavior reflected that.
She is a changed person now post her cancer survival I really hope she gets to turn a new page n does good work coz the lady is talented.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Manisha struggled with personal demons and alcoholism that kept her from getting the credit she deserved. Nevertheless, she was one of the most talented stars of the nineties giving us some great performances. It is refreshing to see her back and hope we see more.
But isn't it interesting - when Manisha struggled with alcohol and other issues the film fraternity abandoned her till she could sort herself out. They decided her temper and persona were too much to deal with. No one thought to help her through her difficulty. But look at all the male actors who thrive despite drugs, alcohol, womanizing, and abuse. Look at all the support they get when they deal with demons.
MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Manisha struggled with personal demons and alcoholism that kept her from getting the credit she deserved. Nevertheless, she was one of the most talented stars of the nineties giving us some great performances. It is refreshing to see her back and hope we see more.

But isn't it interesting - when Manisha struggled with alcohol and other issues the film fraternity abandoned her till she could sort herself out. They decided her temper and persona were too much to deal with. No one thought to help her through her difficulty. But look at all the male actors who thrive despite drugs, alcohol, womanizing, and abuse. Look at all the support they get when they deal with demons.

Misogyny but apparently she had no friends in the industry n also family issues which kinda turned her into a loner. I am glad she atleast did not end up being alienated like Parveen was and is able to make a comeback now with grit n zeal.
1140816 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Yeah, since u say she had temper problem, wat if they wanted to help her n she abused them back? She is not a kid in any case. Her family is very powerful in Nepal.

And people shud read about Paranoid Schizophrenia before talking about Parveen. Try helping one person dealing with it in your life and u will know how difficult it is. Ignorant people keep coming up with conspiracy theories. If anything, it is only her family who shud be blamed for not only abandoning her but also fighting over her property after her death.
791198 thumbnail
Manisha is not a victim. Why are we making her one? She made her share of mistakes-anger issues, failed relationships, alcoholism. Then, she even went through cancer and a divorce but she recovered through it all and is back to work. I see her as a resilient woman not a victim.
1140816 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Goldendew-

Misogyny but apparently she had no friends in the industry n also family issues which kinda turned her into a loner. I am glad she atleast did not end up being alienated like Parveen was and is able to make a comeback now with grit n zeal.

Another ignorant comment. Even Sanjay Dutt says when he was in Jail, nobody helped him. Even Madhuri dumped him. Even his drug addict problem was solved only by his father. So, at the end of the day, only ur kith and kin will help you. Film Industry is only a working place after all. How many of you go out of the way to help your colleagues with their personal problems in your office? If people do, it is only if they share a very close bond with that person. Else, most mind their own business. How many are going out of the way to help Irrfan Khan? So, stop using Misogyny crap with no head or tail.

And again am telling that Parveen was clinically diagnosed by Paranoid Schizophrenia. It is even mentioned by High court. There is no way she cud hv worked back with all her medications. Even today, there is no cure for mental health issues. U can only control it, not cure it completely and it is a life long medication process. And things were far worse back then.