Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pakeezah thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Typically national flags are reserved for military and highly decorated civilians. Since celebrities tend to have such an emotional space in the minds of Indians, the interpretation of civilians has always been held loosely.

Sidebar: Why are people so offended by discussion of death? My family and some friends have a morbid sense of humor and we often make jokes about dying - either ourselves or others in the circle. It makes death more palatable and less terrifying by being able to joke about it.

-----

I'm puzzled myself at the accusations of 'insensitivity' being made. Some are valid, if invectives are levelled against the deceased but calling out people because they're discussing the tragedy is OTT. Not everyone feels the same kind of emotions. And it is dictatorial to keep forcing ones own opinion on others.
frosty thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: briahna

international?

okay, so maybe priyanka chopra, aishwariya rai, and who knows deepika have a shot at this.
I have a feeling all three khans will also be draped.

I hardly ever comment on members but are you aware of how insensitive all these comments are coming across as? Stop this.

1132300 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zeal17

The Flag Code of India

Every country has a Flag Code. The flag code is a set of rules to be followed in regard to the use of the national flag in various capacities. From hoisting the national flag to draping it over a casket, it contains things to do and things that cannot be done.

According to Section V of the Flag Code of India,

"The Flag shall not be used as a drapery in any form whatsoever except in State/Military/Central Para military Forces funerals herein after provided.

The Flag shall not be used as a drapery in any form whatsoever, including private funerals;

The Flag shall not be draped over the hood, top, sides or back of a vehicle, train or boat.

It is now on the discretion of the state government, which will decide who will be accorded a state funeral, depending on the stature of the deceased. There are no set guidelines.

The government takes into consideration the contribution made by the person to the state in various fields like politics, literature, law, science and cinema.

The chief minister of the concerned state takes a decision after consultations with his senior cabinet colleagues.

Once a decision is taken on the issue, it is conveyed to senior police officials including the deputy commissioner, the police commissioner and the superintendent of police, who have to make all the arrangements for a state funeral.

The sentence in bold font answers your question. She deserved it much more than many of the Corrupt n Criminal Politicians who get the honors. It is also a big contribution to make people smile, forget their worries n touching their hearts even if it is just in the form of 3 hours of entertainment. She did that for her entire lifetime for Cinema ever since she was a child of 4 years n ruled so many industries all over India. A Rare feat. She definitely earned the honors.
Edited by CrystalFatima - 6 years ago
Pappu.Pager thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Typically national flags are reserved for military and highly decorated civilians. Since celebrities tend to have such an emotional space in the minds of Indians, the interpretation of civilians has always been held loosely.

Sidebar: Why are people so offended by discussion of death? My family and some friends have a morbid sense of humor and we often make jokes about dying - either ourselves or others in the circle. It makes death more palatable and less terrifying by being able to joke about it.

Agree with this. Death is inevitable!
briahna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

this...thank you.

Why are people so offended by discussion of death?

this should make interesting topic for discussion

when is the right time to discuss death.
maybe now?

when is the right time to discuss who will get honors , get draped, maybe now?

actually I never thought of which Bollywood star will get this honor.
now it makes me think after seeing this funeral.

personally I think everyone out there should discuss death, funerals, etc with their family members once in a while.
when deaths happen suddenly, you seem lost. it will help if you know how your loved ones wanted their funeral done. ppl should prepare for such days ...it is going to happen to all. one very important fact many forget, cost of funerals these days. you are gone, but you don't wanna leave the burden of the expense on children and familys shoulder. discussing death and funeral is no harm. maybe this the right time?

and discussing who will get the flag honor is no harm either.

Panthera thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
I dont think the tm post was insensitive.
A LOT of the media coverage in india from what I've seen was not only insensitive but positively disgusting.🤢

As for the thousands of fans, call me a cynic but I reckon for every 5 who were there esp today, at least one was there not to pay respects or grieve for sridevi, but to try and catch a glimpse of all the stars coming and going🤢. The more the media whipped up who has come to offer condolences and howbigg the crowds are, the more people turned up and turnedit into a circus. Feel bad for the genuine fans, some of whom it seems came specially from out of state from as far as Tamil Nadu genuinely to pay their respects.
liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I don't know why members are terming this post as insensitive. I don't find anything wrong with it.
I'm sure it did come as a surprise to everyone, including me, that she got state honors. Am not stating it to be right or wrong, but just like the TM, am curious as to the basis upon which civilians are granted state honors.

Also, agree with few here. Why are we so hesitant talking about death? That is an eventuality isn't it? All of us are gonna die someday!

As for the Donald getting state honors 🤢🥱 There's no one who would've deserved it less than the Donald would (atleast in the US)
BebaakBegum thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Coz not all kinds of humor is palatable everywhere. Some people like dead baby jokes and some people despise it but It is always considered insensitive to joke about such things during ongoing distress(related to sth similar).
SRK-BEBO thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I hope TM realizes how insensitive he /she sounds.
SluttySavitri thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Meh. I don't think the OP was being insensitive. Sounded like a genuine question to me. Will other actors and actresses get draped in national flag too? Is this the first time this happened and will it set a precedent?

IMO it should be reserved for the military and military only (and people who sacrificed or dedicated their whole life to the country). If they're starting to give these honours to BW celebs then they should give it to common people too. Doesn't seem right to me but to each his own.
Edited by SluttySavitri - 6 years ago