Love, Actually- Asfi-Zubi

SanFrangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Here is my attempt to heal us from the sadness of Episode 27. Hope this is cathartic.
Am so not a writer, and definitely not a fiction writer, so please excuse all my mistakes and liberties I have taken with the characters.

The moment she said " What love? Every momentary infatuation or attraction is not enough to lead to a marriage." was the only moment Dr. Asfandyar remembered of the entire day. The rest was a blur, a lightless fog in which he felt he was immobilized. He watched himself as if from a distance, working as an automaton, examining the gunshot victim, a young girl, he recognized from some earlier interaction in this hospital. As he looked at her pale bloodless face, the blood soaked clothes and her rapidly receding pulse, his training took over. He gave rapid instructions, tried to staunch the bleeding , with the nurses checking on her vital stats every minute. The operation theatre staff arrived to take her away and Dr Asfandyar stepped away to go prepare for the surgery. As he went, he barely registered the presence of the girl who had been standing at the far end of the room, watching him as he had fought hard to stop the bleeding Khajista from dying right there.

Zubiya's eyes were bright with unshed tears, as she watched the one and the only person in this world to whom she belonged, whose heart she had deliberately broken into a thousand pieces with a cruelty she could not fathom. In his cold brusqueness, she heard clearly his cry for help, his cry for her, the sound of a shattered heart. Not a pretty sound. She felt as if Khajista may have taken the bullet but it was she herself who was bleeding from some unseen wound near her heart.

Waves of remorse, and self hatred washed over her as he walked away never having even registered her presence. Dear God, what did I do? To the only man I had ever loved ? The person who was the center of this universe for me? The only person with whom she felt so right ? She knew this was a pain that would last her a lifetime but she was no stranger to pain.

For a split second she wanted to rush to him, just go and hold him to herself, just brave his anger, his coldness, his pain, just let him empty out the agony he must be undergoing. Just as her mother used to when she used to fly into a tantrum as a child, how she would hold her protesting arms and flailing body, clasping her baby to herself, absorbing her temper, as slowly her anger ebbed away and she peacefully snuggled into her mother's lap. Ammi, she whispered, Ammi. She felt as if her mother was next to her, and she wanted that welcoming clasp, the hug which took away all her troubles. Ammi, I have failed him, Ammi, she whispered. But I wont fail you again. There is that one thing I owe to you. Khajista's life will not be sacrificed. Somehow from somewhere deep within herself, she summoned up her strength and dragged herself off to find Khajista's mother in law and Rustom. For her mother's sake.

Later she sat with Khajista's mother in law and Rustom, as they waited near the OT. Zubiya, lost in her thoughts, waiting, waiting. She knew this was the last thing she had to do before she could leave this place forever. She glanced around at the familiar waiting area, the cold steel chairs, the distant trees and the cloud covered peaks visible through the windows. She closed her eyes and could almost breathe the cold crisp air, hear the noisy mountain river, feel the grass under her feet. And then, unbidden, came to her mind the image of two strong hands around her own as they held her and guided her and brought her to safe ground across a rickety old bridge over a gurgling river that sunny afternoon.

Hurriedly, she opened her eyes as the OT opened and Dr Shehroze, Dr Shahzad and Dr Asfandyar came out and Khajista's mother in law and Rustom rushed to them. She remained standing where she was, listening to them impassively as they said they had completed the surgery but nothing definite could be said for the next 48 hours as Kahjista was too critical and had lost a lot of blood. She was to remain in ICU. Zubiya stood while Dr Sheroze kindly explained everything to them and also included her in his glance because he knew how attached Zubiya had been to this young girl. The three surgeons then strode off together, but she could feel only one of them walking away from her, very far away.

to be continued...

Edited by SanFrangirl - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bookworm123 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
My dear friend, this is so well written!
You have described Zubia's emotional state so well, very touching. Hope there is more! Waiting for it..
Doc.love thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Beautiful!!! Extremely well written... πŸ‘πŸ‘ Please continue soon...😊
Push-pull thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Thanks for penning thisπŸ‘.. Giving a beautiful and in-depth voice to Zubia.. We all know how much involved and deep is Asfi's feelings Zubia.. But she might not have realized it herself unless she sees through him to know her impact on him.. The sincerity in him to really love her for what she is as a whole is what could make her see him in proper light to trust him with her feelings..
ShellJA thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Omg..that was amazing and so so well written. It's like you got inside Zobia's to,extract her pain.
Please write more.
fanraya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
So beautiful,loved the way you have conveyed Zubia's thoughts,it made me emotional, lovely write up, I am hoping that you are going to continue,waiting for the next one...
SanFrangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

That evening , Dr Asfandyar arrived home later than usual. His parents had already learnt of the gun shot case from Gaiti and were waiting up for him worriedly He told them the details and tried to make light of the situation. But this family was no stranger to a situation where a seemingly unrelated case had already cost a son's life and his father asked him to be careful while his mother was sick with worry.

As he tried to force himself to smile and calm them down, Gaiti Bhabhi said. "Isn't this the same girl who Zubiya visits in the village? I have heard Zubi talk of her often and be always concerned for her safety. Her obsession with Khajista reminds me of Daniyal's concern for Noorie. I hope Zubiya is fine.

Usman added: And safe?

Oh Zubiya, don't you see what you did to us ? Don't you see how these three are going to suffer through this pain as well. Outwardly, he smiled and tried to help them feel better. Then excusing himself he walked off to his room with three pair of concerned eyes following him.

As he tiredly collapsed, alone for the first time since the morning, he allowed himself to remember what she had said, how she had stared unmovedly, as if casually discussing the weather, that she did not love him and that there was no future to his love.

He dreamt that he was wandering in a dense grey cloud, his hands desperately trying to find something, someone in the gloom to grasp and pull him out. He woke up with a start, with the name he had made his own since the last few months, on his lips. Zubi, he whispered, startled to find his pillow wet.

Asfi felt irritated with himself and tried to summon the last image he had of her so he could get his feeling of cold searing anger back. Only to find hundreds of other moments flip past his eyes, Zubiya looking at him quizzically as he examined a patient; Zubiya, stealing a glance at him when she thought he wasn't looking; wide-eyed, listening to him scold her, Zubiya's eyes, concerned and insistent that rainy night; her eyes, full of a nameless complaint that afternoon with Faryal; her eyes, sad and scared after the patient's death, asking for comfort and strength; her inability to look away as he sat bandaging her wound that day; her eyes soft with unspoken love the afternoon of Saim's birthday. Oh hundreds of those beautiful moments he had been filing away each day to take out and examine every night. Those eyes were what made him fall in love with her and they spoke to him a lot more than she had ever said in words to him. Those eyes had been his friend for months, as he tried to understand this soft-spoken, quiet and reserved girl because they told him what sometimes she didn't herself know yet. As the image of meeting her at the roadside floated before his eyes and he remembered how defensive and resistant she was and yet when he had made her look at him, he had seen her panic, her sadness and complete longing for him. Don't believe me, her eyes had said, don't let me push you away, don't let me run away.

He sat up with a jerk, because those were the same expressions he had seen yesterday the last time he looked at her. Even while she had said those terribly hurtful words which had burnt down his world, her eyes had been full of understanding, they were saying to him, hush... it will hurt for some time, but I will watch out for you...don't forgive me because I wont forgive myself. They were saying as they had done that afternoon, please don't believe my words, please catch me before I fall into the dark again.

As Asfandyar now thought about the entire incident which he had not cared to think of so far, snippets of things that did not fit with what she had spoken flitted through his mind.. Her discomfort in talking to him, her insistence on standing as if she did not trust she would collapse and her insistence that she had to speak to him then and there, her reluctance to tell him the reason, her categorical denial.. main shaadi karna hi nahi chahti..na aapse, na kisi aur se, na aaj aur na kal. " What was behind this statement? Why ring me up in the dead of the night, sick with worry about me? What had made her strike out like a scared, cornered child? Was it only an intention to hurt? Or was it an intention to make me go away?

He remembered his undergrad lecture on the adrenal system of the human body, that in the face of danger the human mind thinks only of two reactions, fight or flight. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, he considered what this was? It was flight. She was fleeing. From what? What danger?

Asfandyar considered whether she knew he remembered the Rameez incident. He had purposely not brought up the incident yet to her, because he felt kind of ashamed of his harsh words to that young girl. In fact he wished she did not remember it because it did not exactly cover him with glory. He had been wondering if that incident had scarred her for life. But now he understood, she WAS scarred by that incident and maybe something bigger.

And as Dr Asfi, now got up from the bed, he felt his misery falling away, because though he did not know why, yet, he did know that he had been subject to an elaborate charade. His years of study of human behaviour and illness sprang to the fore and he examined the incident and her part in it with a kind of detached intellectual curiosity he reserved for his medical cases. Every effect has a direct plausible cause, even if temporarily hidden. And even if Dr Zubiya thought infatuation and temporary attraction could satisfy him as a cause for her rejection, she had not accounted for the million other effects which all had one cause, that she loved him.

It was almost morning, but now he felt a sense of purpose. He needed to go to her, observe her and find out for himself why she had done what she did. He did not know yet what would happen but he would not let her throw it all away without any reason.

He got up, purposefully got dressed and left a note on the table for his mother, citing a medical emergency.

As he drove in the crisp morning air, a thought flashed through his mind and he spoke it out, "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference, and by God, you were not indifferent to me yesterday, or ever. You are running away from commitment, in fact even when we were telling each other with unspoken words how we felt, you already were planning this escape. That is why you were quiet whenever I spoke of the future, because there was no future you could see. You had no intention to ever marry me. But in your grand plan you did not consider one factor, that I don't intend to let you put your stupid plan into action because I consider you worth fighting for. So Dr Zubiya Khalil, I will fight for you, even if I have to fight you. The only question now is will you fight for me? For us? Will you consider me worth fighting for?

...To be continued.

Edited by SanFrangirl - 6 years ago
coolove thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
That was beautiful
Please write more
AnayaZ thumbnail
This is sooo sooo sooo good. You have a way with words. I want to read it all in one go. Give us more soon please.
~sweet Ash~ thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Omg! This is perfect! Please continue soon!!