Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
I am a Malayalee but brought up in Maharashtra .. i can speak Malayalam , but unfortunately cant read or write in my mother tongue .. Malayalee by blood but Marathi Manus by character .. 

I have never been able to understand even a single Malayalam song till date .. the lyrics & words used are so high-funda & complicated - almost Shakespeare-ish  that  i wonder if it is Malayalam at all .. Spoken Malayalam is entirely different from what i hear in the songs .. i wonder why that is .. 
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: nasco

My pleasure ðŸ˜Š Listen to them and please share your thoughts ðŸ˜Š

yup, will surely do so :)

And, will ask you meanings incase I don't find online lyrics translation :p

Originally posted by: _Lord.of.Light_

I am a Malayalee but brought up in Maharashtra .. i can speak Malayalam , but unfortunately cant read or write in my mother tongue .. Malayalee by blood but Marathi Manus by character .. 

I have never been able to understand even a single Malayalam song till date .. the lyrics & words used are so high-funda & complicated - almost Shakespeare-ish  that  i wonder if it is Malayalam at all .. Spoken Malayalam is entirely different from what i hear in the songs .. i wonder why that is .. 

Oh, didn't know that... but, Lord, in all the few Malayalam songs I've listened to, all their meanings are sooo good. I love how they're so indirect even in romantic songs, with all the poetical references to nature, and inclusive of all emotions ðŸ˜ƒ ..it's different from what we usually listen to na :) ..also, maybe it's a nice way to 'preserve' and propogate 'old'(or should i say non-colloquial?) malayalam, IDK tho :p  .

I think it's the same with telugu, I never understand telugu song lyrics word for word, however get the general meaning, I have to ask my parents for meanings. However, a new trend has begun in telugu songs where the lyricists are being little liberal by adding simple telugu words, english words, or even the urdu slang we use here :-)

Do you like any Malayalam songs? feel free to suggest! :)
Also, as a South Indian, I always found Malayalam to be very difficult language... I can understand tamil, Kannada to an extent, but Malayalam... it cannot be decoded! 😆 ..it's so different for some reason and always makes me very curious - one of my irregular hobbies is to watch Asianet :p
Do you Malayalees understand telugu?
^^ Yes , I too feel Malayalam is a tough language .. and yes , also 'preserved' ...
I dont understand the songs , how do I suggest anything ? .. although , i liked 'ente kitabile penne' meaning "the girl in my book " (the guy keeps the girl's pic in his book ) - the title of the song is something different but the quoted words are the ones which i understood better .. 😆  .. the movie is based on a real life story .. my mom heard of this story while she was growing up - it is a tragic romance between star crossed lovers - a girl from my caste ( Hindu - Thiyya ) falling in love with a Muslim guy , both of them plan to elope & settle abroad but meet an unfortunate ending .. 

This song is relatively easier to understand due to all the Hindi/Urdu words thrown in between .. i can almost make out the meaning of the entire song .. 

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graP-a1MxN4[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by _Lord.of.Light_ - 7 years ago
I dont  understand Telugu/ Kannada .. Tamil is easier to understand , it is similar to Malayalam ..

I am fluent in  Marathi though .. ðŸ˜ƒ
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
BMing this page for suggestions.
I do understand Malayalam mostly by fluke😆 when it is spoken in person  but movie wala and songs wala is difficult to follow

Since you asked for suggestions ,check out

Paathirayo pakalai from Bachelor party
Kaatu mooliyo from Om Shanthi Oshana

@Lord --- Interesting.. will listen to that song in some time.. thankyou! :)
 ..do you watch Malayalam movies? They look so realistic, I have got to watch a few :) 

Oh wow, did you take up Marathi as second language in school or is just the influence of growing up surrounded by Marathi-speakers? 

Originally posted by: NautankiSaali

BMing this page for suggestions.

I do understand Malayalam mostly by fluke😆 when it is spoken in person  but movie wala and songs wala is difficult to follow

Since you asked for suggestions ,check out

Paathirayo pakalai from Bachelor party
Kaatu mooliyo from Om Shanthi Oshana

Hi NS ðŸ˜ƒ ..thanks, will listen in some time :) ...what about telugu? Unaka telugu theriyuma? unnaka telugu understand? ðŸ˜›

I think my friend asked me to watch Om Shanti Oshana.. 
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 7 years ago
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Enaku Telugu theriyathu. ðŸ˜†
Also I have difficulty with Kannada despite my mom was one. Never bothered to learn ...Had I learnt Kannada ,Telugu would have been easier I think.Cause my mom seems to understand Telugu to some extent.

Do check it, nice romcom .If not for anything else, for the fellow in my  DP.😳