The Ramayana: A Never-Ending Labyrinth(UPDATED:PG-2)

coveredinmist thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Preface: Does it really end?

"...leaving Rama's ring behind in the realms of Vasuki, Hanuman rose back up through the crack, despondent and hesitant because he knew what awaited him.
He rose up to find Ayodhya desolate without its Lord once again."

One of the many reasons why most people are unaware of the Ramayana's seventh chapter, Uttara-Kanda, is because it is rarely read out in public. Superstitions, once again. It is believed that doing so would anger the Goddess of the Earth, leading to highly destructive earthquakes.

The sixth chapter, Yuddha-Kanda, ends with Rama and Sita being coronated as the King and Queen of Ayodhya. They resolve the disputes between Kaikeyi, Bharata and Dasharatha (he came down to Earth in order to convince Rama to take back his unblemished wife) and then they live happily ever after.

The seventh chapter takes on a different turn of events. Suspicion is aroused when Sita draws an image of Ravana under her bed, on the behest of her maids. The people of Ayodhya start whispering when they find out that Agni is actually an uncle of Sita. Then, the real drama starts when everybody discovers that Sita is pregnant.

"Hmm, she spent 13 years and 2 months in the forest with her husband when the both of them had reached the prime of their youths. This girl didn't conceive then. Now, when she has spent 10 months in the kingdom of the virile Ravana, suddenly she has become pregnant. Something to think of, isn't it?"

At first it was a whisper. Then it was a wave. Then it was a flood. Rama couldn't ignore it anymore. His wife may be pure in body, mind and heart. But in reputation? That stain could not be removed.

He had no other option but to abandon her.
Although his heart kept on screaming at him to not do it, he went ahead and did it.

Not that Rama was a cruel and suspicious husband, although he is portrayed in that way in some animated movies and mythological books. He trusted his wife completely. It was due to her that he had earned the title of "Maryada Purshottam". They had managed to start afresh and leave the bitterness of their separation behind.
But, all things have to end.

The exile of 14 years had to end. The life and sins of Ravana had to end. Joy with Sita had to end. The suspicion regarding Sita's sexual purity had to end. The doubts on Luva-Kusha's legitimacy had to end.

"...Hanuman followed Rama's footsteps up to the mouth of Sarayu. He learned how his Lord had walked into the river, never to rise again, chanting the name of his beloved all the while."

(I give all of you full liberty to use expletives and profanities, since I will be doing the same. No offense intended)

Edited by coveredinmist - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1087354 thumbnail
This is a great topic to write about. I have researched about the Ramayan, only then I know about the Uttara Kand. Otherwise, I would have stayed ignorant! Please update soon!
Milaksh thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This is unique and intriguing...
continue soon...

I was unaware things like :

Suspicion is aroused when Sita draws an image of Ravana under her bed, on the behest of her maids. The people of Ayodhya start whispering when they find out that Agni is actually an uncle of Sita.

I would love read these from the source(s), if you have any please do share.
SriMaatangi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I have read most of the versions of Ramayana. Waiting to see which ones you will expand on 😳
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Interesting read!!
Do mention the sources too😉
Edited by -Mano- - 8 years ago
moviefan-pooja thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This is very interesting... do continue... and please do mention the sources
coveredinmist thumbnail
Contents
Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

"Hmm, she spent 13 years and 2 months in the forest with her husband when the both of them had reached the prime of their youths. This girl didn't conceive then. Now, when she has spent 10 months in the kingdom of the virile Ravana, suddenly she has become pregnant. Something to think of, isn't it?

How hypocrite ayodha is? Knowing that kaikeyi tells ram and Sita to follow sanyas dharm they spread such kind of things.
Great post dear
coveredinmist thumbnail
Was infidelity the real issue?
We all talk of Rama abandoning his pregnant wife. We all wonder, "Why the forest? Why not Mithila?".

Most people assume that Rama didn't send her to Mithila because her parents would be insulted. We all know that the people of Mithila would have accepted Sita without doubt, since she was their savior. Her miraculous birth had ended a drought of 12 years.

So, none of this seems to fit in.

If you take some of the other versions of the Ramayana into account, everything will make sense to you.

When Rama broke down during Sita's fire-trial (yes, he did cry), everybody was quite shocked to see Mandodari in a trance-like state (Rama was the only one who didn't look up). She was crying endlessly, which was quite appalling, given that Sita had caused her dear husband's death. They also noticed that Mandodari was crying even more than she had cried at the time of Ravana's death.

" I had lost all of my children in this war. Sita was the only one who was alive, and now even she is dead!"

Naturally, everybody was puzzled. Why was Mandodari addressing Sita as her child? After being questioned by Sugriva, she revealed the truth about her daughter.

" Many, many years ago, my Lord had sired a daughter through me. Later, it was predicted that she would cause his death, so my Lord decided to kill her. He ordered his soldiers to dump her in the sea, but he didn't know that I had called a sorcerer to mislead them. I saw to it that she was safe. Varuna handed her over to Bhoomi. When I heard that Sita had been born out of the Earth, I realized that she was none other than my own daughter."

Some time later, Sita came out. She never got to know that Mandodari was her mother, though.

Everybody else had gotten to know that Sita was Ravana's daughter.

When the people of Ayodhya got to know of Sita's pregnancy, they were quite disgusted.

"That girl is not worthy of our King! She, for sure, is bearing the child of her father! That barefaced woman! "

So, she had been accused of being an incestophile, not an adulterer.

So, let's send her to Mithila, shall we?

(This is based on the events highlighted in the Adbhuta Ramayana)

Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I don't agree that Mahalakshmi was born out of mandodari womb. She was jaganmata born without a mother. Her journey was that from earth to earth.
Anyways thks for sharing