Women in pakistani dramas

Carpe_diem thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
I've watched indian shows all my life. I started watching pakistani dramas around two years back. I've watched about 18-20 dramas till date.
What draws me towards pakistani dramas is the short duration of the shows. The dramas are content driven and there is a huge variety to choose from. I've watched shows with bold content like mora piya where rape and child from rape were dealt with great maturity. I've also watched light hearted shows like aunn zara and akbari azgari.
With the positives, there are a few negatives too. My major grouse is with the way women are shown. I've never seen women working before or after marriage in the dramas. Even in dramas where everybody is well off and they own companies and stuff, the women remain at home. The only career driven characters that I've seen were Kashaf from zindagi gulzar hai and zara from daam.
Why do they sit at home after finishing their graduation or post graduation?
Only women outside pakistan are shown to be working like zinia in malaal. My reason for not liking humsafar was that khirad had to go and ask her husband for money as she didn't have a job or proper education. In most shows women are shown in college and that's about it.

Indian shows have a lot of flaws but a lot of them show independent women who work and own companies. I've seen a variety of professions on indian shows like a doctor, CEO, business women, architect etc.

Working women also face a lot issues at home. Working women are also harassed by their mother-in-laws. They need not sit at home to be harassed. Pakistani dramas project reality so it would be really good to see shows where they show women working and handling their house as well. And by working I definitely don't mean petty jobs like being a secretary or something. They should be shown doing full fledged jobs. Hope we see more such shows.