Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

965319 thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Zootopia
Slightly facile-it is a kid's movie,nevertheless intelligent and well-crafted movie.
Edited by mai1moono - 7 years ago
Remus.Lupin4 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
ADHM - I'm so f**king mad at KJO. You know, unrequited love, the bestest feeling in the world, he wants to browbeat and punch it down the audience's throat πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜† It is not shown through actions, but constant dialogues on the supreme power of unrequited love. Everything has to be spelled out and reiterated.

Spoiler: Ayan tells Alizeh on the day of her wedding that he loves her (she has figured it out by then) and demands that why can't she love him, then much later in a post dinner scene he rants/demands that she love him again, then much much later when she has stage 4 cancer (he is supportive to her) but one day they are sitting together he again demands that she love him (mentions DJ Ali) and gets angry/upset that she won't love him. What is the power of unrequited love in ADHM? Childish tantrums, emotional blackmail, demanding love and trying to make the front person feel guilty? I could understand Ayan's frustration at times, because it was natural he would resent her for not loving him back, but I found his timing quite off when it came to his childish demands. Mostly I hated how it took 2 hours and 30 minutes for a thickheaded childish brat to finally accept friendship and not demand love πŸ₯±

The casting was perfect. I feel bad for the cast Ranbir, Anushka, Fawad, Aishwarya they didn't deserve this script! Bad writing and direction. There was so much potential with the cast, but the script is an absolute mess and the actors try very hard in their roles, if this movie sustains it is because of the cast. And if it flops, then full credit goes to Kjo for writing this shitty movie in 10 days and directing it so poorly 🀒🀒 The last 30 minutes in particular were major W*F!

I really wanted to watch Anushka and Fawad together. For two people in love I found their scenes so shallow and not properly developed. In the end I couldn't root for any of the couples, nor connect with any character and I was glad the snooze fest was over!

1/5
1 for the cast

Edited by Remus.Lupin4 - 7 years ago
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil- Bullshit. Survived the film only because of Anushka Sharma.
1/5
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Fashionista Circle

ADHM -
totally bogus movie..,First half is filled with rehash of iconic dialogues from the 80s..first time it was amusing, but it just goes on and on and on..and it stopped being even remotely funny..how can someone fill an hour time of a movie basis 80s ke dialogues? It anyway really seemed like people were just mouthing it...no proper build up to Ayan- Alizeh friendship, Im not even sure if I connect to characters like these who are party hopping, instant hook up break up generation, who have everything at their beck and call..and then crib and cry over a glorified heart break..really?πŸ€“

how long did these two know each other for anyway? a few days, weeks or max a few months? and love ho gaya Ayan ko?? Alizeh was just a toy he wanted, or it seemed to me?

Ali-Alizeh angle was even more random..editing or not, it just did not have sir pair or meat to it.

second half was atleast somewhat bearable before the cancer track began. RK Aish had uhmazing chemistry, and Aish literally lit up the screen, for whatever timeframe she appeared in. Funny but I wish they were the central couple, where two heartbroken people finally find solace in each other.

But nope, it had go back to getting ruined. Mahn I cannot understand the praises RK is garnering for this role..he was just plain annoying for me to watch. Maybe it was his character that was thankless and quite frankly ridiculous, even then RK just bored me.

Anushka thankfully looks her stunning self again and was the best performer for me

Aish is a goddess and delivered what was expected from her.

Fawad has an arresting screen presence everytime he appears, but duh he had literally NOTHING to do in the movie.

SRK is stuck in his Don mode of dialogue delivery, what in the world is wrong with his VOICE?

Great music is wasted on this rubbish..All in all sir dard inducing fare and avoid it while you can...

1.5/5
AreYaar thumbnail
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil:

*possible spoilers*

Gone are the days when films were almost uncomplicated in nature, despite all the true blue melodrama that is staple in desi lives and desi films. Today's films and many of the characters in them are somewhat as messed up as life itself.

ADHM in many ways is the anti-KKHH. To me, KKHH evokes nostalgia of simpler times, simpler cinema where there were happy, pretty songs in movies, epic dialogues, and a grand happy ending at the end of it all. KKHH had immature people growing up by the end of the movie too yet somehow their lives sorted out in the grand tradition of happy endings. KKHH said that Love is Friendship...ADHM says that Friendship itself is greater than Love...so there's some food for thought there...I found this movie to be an interesting insight into the evolution of KJo cinema...which whether you love it or hate it has left a significant mark on Indian pop culture.

I went into the film with low expectations and the first 20 minutes were very forced in my opinion...somewhat stilted situations and stilted lines in trying to establish Ayan-Alizeh's friendship and connection over their filmyness...I was ready to write off the film and was left wondering a bit that the KJo who usually thrives on comedic filmy situations in his films came up with underwhelming stuff this time. In their first introduction bits, Ayan comes across as a clueless, clingy guy and Alizeh almost annoyingly judgmental, bossy, and know-it-all types.

It is credit to the film then that characters who evoked these feelings in me to begin with evolve over the course of the film and you get a sense of understanding them with all their flaws. Their equation, their chemistry, their bond grows in the film over time till by the end of it you start to see why it is a bond so deep, so beyond labels.

This is not to say that the film isn't without it's cliches, cop-outs in the writing/characterizations but somehow by the end of it all, this messy potpourri of relationships strikes a chord, gives you food for thought.

Despite his many cheesy tendencies, KJo manages to have a somewhat uncanny ability to portray some nuances and imperfections in relationships...that is a touch uniquely his...I was struck by this thought while watching the film since there are elements of Rockstar deja vu in it which IMO KJo handled much better than the crap mess Imtiaz made of that storyline. Because it is interesting that it is the same actor in both films...RK...and the way KJo has managed to portray his love for Alizeh is head and shoulders above whatever mess Imtiaz was trying to show in Rockstar.

I found this film to be an interesting take on love especially from Alizeh's viewpoint with regards to Ayan...there are plenty of stories about one-sided love or unrequited love or ofcourse the happily ever after forever kind of love in bollywood...but the attempt made in this film to deal with a love like Alizeh's for Ayan was what gave it a lot of weight I felt. Those are some of the best moments in the film...when she feels the strength of Ayan's love for her and there is a pain, a helplessness in her eyes but she cannot give him what he seeks...that there is both regret there yet a desperation to hold on to him as much as she can made it interesting to me. Because in a typical story, if it is one-sided, people either sacrifice or move on, or magically fall in love later on...but here's a girl who badly wants him in her life no matter how complicated it is...that push and pull b/w them was interesting to me.

My favorite scene in the film is the fireplace scene...for that scene alone, the film is worth a watch...such a frank conversation on friendship, attraction, bonds that don't always need names...my fav. portion of that scene is when Ayan says that he saved his "eccentricity" all his life because he knew someday he would find someone who would be his kindered spirit...that in this scene you can see the shifts happening in their relationship, both of them sensing it, trying to find their own roundabout ways of tackling it...something heartbreakingly beautiful to watch about it...I think I appreciated the directness yet poignance of that scene... a lot being said yet so much to read b/w the lines.

It goes without saying that RK and Anushkak were fantastic in the film...for neither of their roles were easy...Ayan's role especially is a very tough one since KJo was hardly subtle about projecting himself into that role...but RK has delivered it with aplomb...a special note must be made of all those moments when you can see him gradually falling for Alizeh and the softness shining in his eyes is so visible even as their masti continues...that over time, that evolves into pain just adds another layer to it all...Ayan is a mess in many ways...childish, unreasonable, even desperate and petty at times yet somehow you feel for him...and a lot that is credit to RK's performance. It took some time for Alizeh to grow on me but again, as I mentioned earlier it's the very reason that these characters grew on me that I think shows the substance to the film...this paradox of a girl who was both so confident yet so weak when it came to her vulnerabilities...who's essentially the embodiment of SRK's epic line in the film about people needing words to hide their fears...Alizeh's brash tomboyishness ofcourse came naturally to Anushka but it is in the poignant moments where Alizeh's internal struggles with her fallacies are visible that she really shines and owns this character.

Aishwarya's track was surprisingly well handled in the film too since I had a feeling that KJo would go all KANK on that one and oversimplify...but he surprisingly managed to handle it well and Ash acted quite well IMO...gave a beautiful dignity and vulnerability to her character.

Things I didn't like:...the trying too hard comedy in the beginning, and the cancer track.

But I loved the last scene in the ambulance...something touching and disarming about it and RK and Anushka very believably sell a friendship that deep and beautiful especially in that scene...a relationship that rises above romantic love.

It's a film with some food for thought in it...perhaps because unfinished business, unfinished relationships without any easy answers are liable to inspire discussion more than a straightforward happy love story. This film doesn't leave you with a soaring feeling at the end of it but it manages to touch your heart.

3/5

P.S. I still almost yearn for the simplicity of a straight forward well done love story...seems a rare breed in bollywood these daysπŸ˜†
Her-mion-e thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Watched ADM today in noon show. The show was housefull but the movie was absolutely disappointing. Total waste of money and time. I understand this is a KJo movie and should not expect any high funda logic and its okay to have plethora of songs and dance. But I was not expecting a half baked mishmash of his own movies and Rockstar, Love aj kal, fault in our star etc etc etc...The way everything was happening in disco I guess it would be better if the name of the movie was Ae dil hain disco
Coming to performances, Ranbir was gem. I loved how he lip synced the songs and conveyed the emotion. But is there anything new in the script to push the actor in him?? Is there anything we haven't seen already? No..These roles should be bayen haat ka khel for Ranbir given how many times he enacted in a similar roles..So I wish Ranbir chooses something worth his talent going forward..

Anushka is cliched OTT in 1st half but good in emotional scenes..Ash is tolerable and looked brilliant except one scene with SRK..Her make up was soo loud actually it aged her unnecessarily. And why did she accepted that role?? It has got nothing path breaking to offer... As talking about SRK yes audience cheered loudest for him but what was that? What was the need for Alia? πŸ˜• Btw Fawad has great presence and looked awesome in a very short role..

Finally two hoots for KJo..I know he doesn't come up with cinematic gem but his movies used to be endearing in some way..K3G, KKHH got amazing comedy. They were tear jerker but I used to feel for it. ADHM is weakest from KJos stable and I couldn't connect to either Alizeh or Aayan..KJo should revisit his old movies or may be he should see his protege's movies like YJHD or K&S to get back his mojo..Old wines are sometime better in old bottle. This rehashed version looked same but lacks soul...

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Ae Dil Hain Mushkil

ADHM is a movie that had potential. The concept is appealing. Life is complicated. Relationships are complicated. Exploring these complicated relationships make great narrative. Not all stories end happily ever after. And Karan Johar does deserve credit for trying to go off the beaten path. His execution sadly though is botched up. A tighter script, a shorter narrative and the elimination of the melodrama would have served this film well.

The net result of ADHM is the tale of a whiny, entitled man child who never grows up or learns from his mistakes. In Great Expectations or the Great Gatsby, the one-sided unrequited romances of the lead characters are passionate and heartbreaking. While they invoke sympathy, they also emphasize the obsessive and unhealthy nature of it. ADHM tries to glorify this unrequited romance. There is a certain beauty in pining over unrequited love. But to let unrequited love define the entirety of your life is pathetic.

Pretty in Pink's charm lies in Duckie regretfully accepting the fact that his best friend doesn't love him back. Casablanca's Rick lets go off the love of his life knowing that they will "always have Paris". In Object of my affection, Nina accepts that while she has a great chemistry and intimacy with George, he is gay and their relationship will never be what she desires. Unfortunately, ADHM's Ayan never learns to let go. He repeats the same mistakes over and over again. Despite Alizeh constantly reminding him that her feelings for him are neither sexual nor romantic, but that of a deep friendship - he never accepts it. Even at the very end, Ayan has not accepted things the way they are. He is still trying to create space and justification for his feelings, completely disregarding what Alizeh desires. It is one thing to want more in a relationship. It is disrespectful to keep demanding it when turned down several times.

Ranbir as always delivers a fantastic performance, but I fear he has been typecast into the man-child trying to figure the meaning of life. His character was too monochromatic. Fawad Khan was wasted on a role anyone could have done. Ash looked stunning and her chemistry was sizzling. The sensuality was very tastefully executed. The role was small and didn't demand much from her.

The show stealer was definitely Anushka. She really brought Alizeh to life. Everything flowed smoothly with her, the humor, the drama, the chemistry. Her character was the only one that was not monochromatic, but actually developed and grew through the course of the movie.

To me some scenes really stood out. I liked the scene where Alizeh makes fun of how Ayan kisses and makes out. It is refreshing to see a desi female be sexually assertive. Otherwise desi women are conditioned to suppress their opinion. As someone who lives in a place with brutal winter, I thoroughly enjoyed the part where they recreated Chandni in the snow.

PS: Did anyone else have Alizee's "Moi Lolita" play in their head whenever someone said Alizeh's name?

965319 thumbnail
Helpess--Hwa-Cha(Korean)

Intriguing and rather chilling mystery movie about the perils of modern living as we end up living in our own isolated bubbles.

Brilliant performance by the lead actress and she leaves you with mixed feelings about her character.
The lead actor was very OTT though and the only emotion he arouses is irritation.

Not as brilliant or weird as some of the other Korean movies that I've seen but definitely worth a watch.
965319 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kiran_10

Movie Review : " Ae Dil Hai Mushkeel "

I just finished watching the Movie " Ae Dil Hai Mushkeel " and here are my V E R Y own views and opinions,..

1. Anushka is an ugly, unpleasant main actress, and her facial expression of " diveliya face" ( Castor oil drunken face, - making the Lips like an Ekadashi Chand, facing downward ) at every 3 sec, is just so much plain disgusting and annoying. I hate and dislike any of her facial expressions and act. Whoever made her actress would be shoo'n down.
  2. Ranbeer can not speak any dialects clearly ( Pronunciation is damn bad ) and half of his dialects are uttered in an unclear way.
  3. Movie's first 45 minutes are complete story-less baqwaas-rubbish-crap and very very hard to tolerate and bear, ( anushka in touching sex scenes seems quite displeasing and yuckie ) that even after 50+ initial minutes movie still just does not get into the story,... no wonder most audience left the theater in interval ( as per news )
  4. Aishwarya's entry is after the interval and thereafter only, movie gets a very little bit into the story, somewhere.
  5. Aishwarya as a MILF has fed some light intimate sex scenes of breath and fake mouth sharing with Ranbeer, and if you have no interest in that arena, then perhaps there so absolutely nothing in the movie for you, to watch.
  6. SRK in a guest appearance looks real old, hopeless and a fever-suffered Budhdha and quite displeasing and ignorable and so with the aalia bhatt ( as D J ) for 2 min. of guest appearance.
  7. Fawad khan and other Pakistani khan has almost no such peculiarity in them that can appeal / impel us to bring such extra-ordinary artists from Pakistan from any corner of viewing, as they are ignorable and can act hardly so so, and I found hardly any noticeable thing in both Pakistani actors. Fawad as special appearance was quite useless and any god damn ordinary one, could had filled him, as an alternate.
  8. If you had seen the recent Ranbeer kapoor's movie "Tamasha",... And in the end , his emotional expressions ( with all weirdo kind of dialects, tears, laugh and all mix together ) are very hard to understand, about what kind of feelings either he or the director wants to portray to the audience, ... and exactly in a similar fashion in this movie,... KJo repeats same garbage,..
Director has absolute no idea, what kind of emotional sense he is portraying by certain dense emotional scenes and sequences,... imo, actor and him both have failed terribly ,... that perhaps only director knows,...what he is trying to portray,...

9. Only after the interval, the movie gets into a very little bit of story like, after Ash's entry and still the emotional sequences are not that powerful with any strong dialects or any so much holding ones, and Director has tried to repeat the same story of Tamasha, where Ranbeer's such emotional scenes-sequences / weirdo laugh-anger-cry acts were not properly understood by the audience,... and same here,...

10. Movie lacks any good humming songs, strong dialects, ( comedy or fights which is none, anyway ) also end is not that good or any much holding one,...
Movie Tamasha was of the same kind, and if it was a total flop n' failure ( as we know ) , than I would say, it was at least slightly better than this ultimate crap, as DEEPs presentation was lot better than duck faced Anushka, with her ugly expressions every second.

11. Movie has somewhat tried to copy Rockstar and Tamasha's style, story and rhythm somewhere and movie lacks in all regards terribly.

12. Kjo had tried to make this movie somewhat like, KHNH, KKHH and KANK, and adding the essence of Rockstar and Tamasha also to a bit extent somewhere and ultimately, this crap is presented now in front of you.

13. Audience keenly wishes in the end that.,... Now director had that phrase of " Ranbeer's desire of " saath mein sona with Anushka " ,.. of both " Gunjeris" ( Balds ) and that's how the movie will end, ( showing two lashes/corpse in a single coffin ) creating, a more feeling-ful emotional end,.. but again, the director also disappoints there, and delivers a quite rubbish and unattaching end with no impact.

I had rather ranked the movie with 1.5 out of 5.0... and with this also end of Aishwarya's career, as she has delivered none in last 3-5 movies but the Flop and Failure.

Verdict: Avoid and feel no regrets. 1.5 / 5.0

@@@

Have'nt seen the movie but this reviewπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
870349 thumbnail
You know what show I am enjoying these days is Lucifer 😳