Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
I watched many movies..
Love Comes Softly -- I will give it a 5/5 . Very SIMPLE, "soft", beautiful story.. I like what the lead talks about God.. perhaps, I've never heard that all my life.

Northanger Abbey -- This also 4/5 . Another simple, cute movie! :)

Roman Holiday -- 4/5 . Now I understand why Audrey Hepburn is so great, brilliant acting, cute comedy! I didn't expect the movie to be so good especially since it is an old one! :D ..I am in love with her acting.

To The Wonder -- 4/5 . Excellent direction, never seen direction like that before, I watched it because it was Terence Malick's, one that Harshvardhan Kapoor was so much praising in his interviews. It's just his direction, way one can tell so much, and let you sink into the movie and just be there with the characters... without all the noisy dialogues and "acting". Watching this movie made me realise how empty the dialogues we say to each other are, because, a lot happens mostly in silences and not in the clamour of exchanging words/dialogues.. And, that was so finely captured and shown by the director... what a director, I am in love with him ❤️ :) wonder how he directed this.

Badlands -- 5/5. Love the movie.. liked everything about it - direction, the naturalness of the dialogues, or scenes..once again, the direction.

FeminEra thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
watched bhaagi & dishoom on tv
baaghi - W*F was that
liked cham cham song & action scenes were good 1.5/5
dishoom - one time watch
i liked john more than vd
jackie was there for just 2 songs lol
2/5
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Amanda Knox
Unlike 'Making a murderer' Netflix tried to keep a balanced perspective by showing all sides - press, prosecution, investigation and Amanda. I appreciate that.

The documentary opens with a monologue by Amanda that serves as a wonderful hook and then proceeds over the timeline of events. Not edge of the seat riveting, but intriguing.

I ended up feeling a lot more sympathy for Amanda. Whether she is guilty or not the investigation was highly sexist. s**t shaming is used as proof of guilt rather than evidence.

Personally, I always believed her to be innocent. She could still be guilty; however, the poor investigation focused on wild theories rather than proof is what got her free.
1017676 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Amanda Knox

Unlike 'Making a murderer' Netflix tried to keep a balanced perspective by showing all sides - press, prosecution, investigation and Amanda. I appreciate that.

The documentary opens with a monologue by Amanda that serves as a wonderful hook and then proceeds over the timeline of events. Not edge of the seat riveting, but intriguing.

I ended up feeling a lot more sympathy for Amanda. Whether she is guilty or not the investigation was highly sexist. s**t shaming is used as proof of guilt rather than evidence.

Personally, I always believed her to be innocent. She could still be guilty; however, the poor investigation focused on wild theories rather than proof is what got her free.

Having followed the case very closely,I thought ,Amanda was the culprit all along.I thought American Media was downplaying her crime but this documentary completely changed my perspective.
She seems to be suffering from some disease(mild symptoms of Aspergers)
The cold emotion less face made me suspect.
Sherlock holmes wannabe pissed me off big time.

What I didn't like was the over the top Cinematography especially the ending.

I thought 'Making a murderer" was better and it put things very unbiased.
This documentary actually enraged me 😡😡😡.
Had Steven not try to sue the state he would have been a free man. Such Morally corrupt assholes.
Zootopia
Adorable family fun. I like how they tackled mature topics like prejudice and discrimination through a fun family movie.
Watched a few this week.. love them all..

~ Days of Heaven ...loved everything about this movie - the story, the actors, the direction but most importantly, the visuals.. just marvelous. And, the narration by the sister, something was very charming about it - her voice, her diction, her way of talking about everything in a matter of fact way..

~ The Virgin Suicides ...it's the kind of movie that gives a hangover for sure.. because of the mysterious suicides by the mysterious sisters.. IDK I felt as if something was taken away from me after watching it..

~ Lost in Translation ...one of the cutest movies ever! :) ..

~ Le Petit Soldat ...finally watched this movie. Now I understand why Jean-Luc Godard is the inspiration behind biggest directors today.. Whatever I say will be less for this... because, it covers a wide range of issues through excellent direction.. Starting from the questions about various political ideologies during Algerian war to the personal ideals, it has everything. And, the realism in everything - in acting, in the dialogues, outlook on love, self, the inner thoughts(narration) - wow, only makes me wonder if the quality of cinema has only degraded since 1960s? Little things were spoken of in the exchange of dialogues - various subjects like music, paintings, love, acting as a profession.. God, there is so much in this movie.. the acting is so real.

~ A Bout de Souffle ...another Godard movie. Less serious, but similarly realistic and not political. Loved everything - acting directing just everything.. Nothing to say.
..the dialogues are GOLD, in both the movies..

~ Persona ...I cannot believe that this movie was made in 1966. Another great director,(Ingmar Bergman) perhaps greatest of all times.. the movie in the beginning untill the introduction of the nurse is spooky... and has it's weird, strange and kinda scary moments throughout. This movie shows, in my understanding - the person and the persona of one individual. The persona(actress) does not speak/react is symbolic of how we manage to wear a mask that "everything is okay" (moreso in case the individual is really an actress) and the person(nurse) shows the inner self of the same individual - how she has some regrets, how her ideas on various concepts in life differ vastly from how she has acted in reality and her emotional self and so on.. Apart from this depiction of person/persona through the actress/nurse... the human nature is beautifully depicted - the things doctor says to the actress, how the person(nurse) changes so much after reading letters..and her emotional volatility following that is just... I was reminded of Dostoyevsky.

I could say much, there is so much truth and so much to interpret in every scene of this movie that I'd end up writing a novel.. Afterall, a photo is truth and cinema is truth 24 times per second. And that, very much applies to this particular movie. This movie is a masterpiece.

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 7 years ago
Hotel Transylvania
Fun time pass. Denisovich was adorable.
The Seventh Seal - I throughly loved it.. some of the dialogues were really great, makes you stop and think.. deals with God, death, life, loved the Squire.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Some quick reviews of movies I saw recently.

Happy Bhaag Jayegi: A fun film with an entertaining first half and a dragged second half where the director loses the plot. Abhay and Piyush Mishra are good. Diana looked gorgeous and Ali Fazal was ok. Jimmy was repetitive. 2.5/5

Akira: A good film but marred by patchy editing. At times the film moves really fast and at times its very slow. What I liked about the film was that every character had a role to play. The heroine wasnt be all and end all. Sonakshi was decent. Anurag Kashyap was good and so was Konkona. 3/5

Rustom: It was better than what I expected after poor reviews. Certainly not a A Wednesday, Special 26 or Baby since the basic story and ending is well known. But still a decent one time watch. The story is inspired by the Nanavati case but many fictious events were added to make it more cinema audience friendly. Akki carried the movie and Ileana supported him well. The supporting actors like Kumud Mishra, Anang Desai, Pawan Malhotra were good. Esha Gupta didnt have much to do. Ileana looked gorgeous. I hope she gets more films after this.
I will give it a 3/5.

MohenjoDaro: It started off well with good visuals and and new world being created of MohenjoDaro times. But the film totally deteriorates once the enire oppopressive rich vs oppressed poor kicks in. Then the whole story is very much like a 70s films where we used to have wealthy mill maaliks harassing poor mazdoors and one of the rich girls falling for a dashing mazdoor who leads the rebellion. The fight sequences were laughable. And the entire flood sequence was silly. Wish the director had spent some time on setting up an interesting story in Mohenjodaro times. The film had so much potential as we have seen with so many books set in ancient times being successful. A 2/5 from my side for the effort made in creating a Mohenjodaro world.

T3en: Very slow and predictable. Even the acting was very monotonous. Cant believe the combination of Sujoy+Big B+Vidya+Nawaz came up with something so mediocre. 1/5 from my end.
Edited by MrsKhan - 7 years ago
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
The Imitation Game

Saw this on Netflix a while ago. This is a lovely historical biography of Alan Turing, basically the father of compsci. It's specifically about his years as a cryptanalyst decoding German messages for the British during WWII. It's a pretty fast-paced thriller held up by great performances. Benedict is awesome as Turing. Keira Knightly is great too as is the rest of the supporting cast. I dunno exactly how historically accurate the movie is, but it is definitely one of the better and more interesting historical biopics.

4/5

Sicario

Honestly I really don't enjoy drug war movies and this one isn't much different. It's about the escalating drug war on the US-Mexico border. Found it boring...the cinematography though, STUNNING!

2/5 (for cinematography)

Dishoom

This movie is as silly as expected...the plot is wafer thin and very 'Bollywoodish'...you can't use your brain because then it's just a bunch of W*F moments 😆 This is one of those where you just gotta go with the flow...Still the movie isn't that bad because it doesn't take itself seriously so you don't have to either. Decent time pass on TV. John is terrible and Jackie has no role except looking hot for 20mins. Akshaye Khanna is wasted. Varun, though, is rather sincere and charming in his part...he does have a knack for this. I don't think I would have finished even 10 mins of this movie if it wasn't for him tbh. I did find the Muskaan gag genuinely funny. I wish Saqeeb got more movies.

2.5/5