priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Posted: 8 years ago
where can i watch fever or budhia singh they are not releasing in my cinema
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
A Walk in the Woods
Bill Bryson is one of my favorite travel authors. His books are funny and poignant. Every word inspires adventure. I am often struck with wanderlust whenever I finish his works. He has a warm, welcoming style of writing that endears to everyone.

Sadly the movie fails to capture the charm and humor of the book. Even the stellar cast of Robert Redford and Nick Nolte fail to bring the essence of the book to life. A decent movie on its own. Mildly entertaining. But a poor film in comparison to the book.
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Aisha

Watched it again after a long time and I never get bored with this one. Wish Bollywood make more chick flicks like these. Sonam and Abhay make a cute couple. Clearly one of my fav movies!

That song; Sham... such a lovely song
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Sairat

When your entire review doesn't post 😔

I finally watched this movie..my first Marathi movie with subtitles. I must say the hype isn't unfounded. I think this was the first love story in years in which I actually managed to care about the leads & what will happen to them...and for the director to accomplish that despite the language barrier is amazing! It's NOT easy to surpass language barriers and get your audience to be emotionally invested in your story...especially for 3 hours in today's time. For that he is ably supported by a wonderful cast & screenplay...more on that in a bit.

The story is predictable and we have seen it a zillion times before..BUT, it is still fresh and thoroughly engaging. In fact, this movie is a great example of how you can take a very been there done that story and STILL make it a great wholesome experience with the treatment because ultimately that's all people want in a film anyways. We don't actually need unique films and premises all the time. BW should take note.

The first hour is breezy as it establishes the love story...Archie is the gutsy upper caste girl with a lot of chutzpah and Parshya the shy lower-caste guy...Archie and Parshya have a lot of honesty, innocence, rawness, and immense charm like all famous love stories..that you really can't help but be taken in. It gets gritty after they are discovered decide to elope..here the director very realistically shows the difficulties and challenges their love faces and how they overcome that.

The climax is really shocking and haunting...even more because the director builds a false sense of calm right before it. I really wish we had a different climax as it would be more uplifting but I think the director wanted to make a very strong point about the futility of honor killing.

The film is a little long at 3 hours. It could have definitely been shorter...still it is engaging enough for the duration of the film.

The acting is fabulous here...once you get past the weirdness of the fact that the heroine Rinku is 14-15. She has immense screen presence and does a fabulous job with a complex character at such a young age...getting nuances and vulnerabilities that some of the 20+ old actresses in BW wouldn't get. The guy Akash is also quite good. He is the foil here..and makes Parshya endearing. They are ably supported by a supporting cast. Their friends are wonderful.

Ajay Atul clearly reserve their best for Marathi films 😆 All the songs here are awesome..and Zingat especially make you want to get up and dance..their music is also shot beautifully and used well in the film.

BW really needs to get its act together...despite all their resources they have majorly forgotten the basic concepts.

4/5
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
You know Sairat is special when they talk about it even after 3 months!
Even non Marathi peeps!
Yad lagala yad lagala ga
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: turqoisedress

Sairat The climax is really shocking and haunting...even more because the director builds a false sense of calm right before it. I really wish we had a different climax as it would be more uplifting but I think the director wanted to make a very strong point about the futility of honor killing.

And that decision was quite relevant to the times we are living right now,y'know with whatever is happening in India right now.Like you said,the honesty of the characters is what I LOVED about the film,something that BW films fail very often.That insecurity and slap by Parshya,Archie having second thoughts about leading her life there in that slum after eloping,her asking for mineral water at the Dosa stall,Parshya getting suspicious seeing Archie with her boss in the theatre;these little bits add so much to the film and brings out plain simple misogyny that's present in the daily life of India.I thought the director hit the bulls eye while portraying Archie and Parshya the way real teenagers are in the country.

The only thing that I did not like was Archie staying silent after the slap by Parshya.The way her character was established from the beginning ,by the time the slap sequence came, I was expecting Archie to hit back Parshya and not stay silent (like the slap scene between Bhumi and Ayushman in Dum Lagake Haisha).Somehow that was the only part where I felt the director made Archie a little submissive.

Originally posted by: NutellaToast

You know Sairat is special when they talk about it even after 3 months!

Even non Marathi peeps!
Yad lagala yad lagala ga

100 days at the theatres and still running!! Century!🥳
Edited by AdaPadaKaunPada - 8 years ago
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I was expecting Archie to hit back Parshya and not stay silent (like the slap scene between Bhumi and Ayushman in Dum Lagake Haisha).Somehow that was the only part where I felt the director made Archie a little submissive

I agree. She just stood there crying on the road
Edited by NutellaToast - 8 years ago
the_notebook thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
The Notebook
Tears and goosebumps omggg this is the most romantic thing ever!!! <3
Lovely, lovely, such a passionate movie.
Rachel McAdams is an absolutely amazing actress, so wonderful. Love her so much.
Ryan was great as well!!!
they both had electrifying chemistry!

5/5 TOO BEAUTIFUL ❤️
Edited by -cuteee.tigress - 8 years ago
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Gour Hari Dastaan- Interesting subject with an honest intention but half baked.Konkona Sen is wasted.

Requiem for a Dream- Like Mary Poppins says, s u p e r c a l i f r a g i l i s t i c e x p i a l i d o c i o u s ! ❤️ If Udta Punjab is the beta, this is the baap. Still don't get why didn't I watch this earlier.
Edited by AdaPadaKaunPada - 8 years ago
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: AdaPadaKaunPada

And that decision was quite relevant to the times we are living right now,y'know with whatever is happening in India right now.Like you said,the honesty of the characters is what I LOVED about the film,something that BW films fail very often.That insecurity and slap by Parshya,Archie having second thoughts about leading her life there in that slum after eloping,her asking for mineral water at the Dosa stall,Parshya getting suspicious seeing Archie with her boss in the theatre;these little bits add so much to the film and brings out plain simple misogyny that's present in the daily life of India.I thought the director hit the bulls eye while portraying Archie and Parshya the way real teenagers are in the country.

The only thing that I did not like was Archie staying silent after the slap by Parshya.The way her character was established from the beginning ,by the time the slap sequence came, I was expecting Archie to hit back Parshya and not stay silent (like the slap scene between Bhumi and Ayushman in Dum Lagake Haisha).Somehow that was the only part where I felt the director made Archie a little submissive.

*SPOILERS*

Very true...I think that's why this movie made perhaps the most significant point on honor killing in a long time...and it was mainly because of when and how it happened years after they ran away and had gotten past the hardships they faced initially to establish good life together with their son. The shot of their son walking away in his parent's blood..horrifying. It really makes you think...what kind of future are we giving to the coming generations..full of hatred and prejudice? It's like...why now..even after so many years? What did her family accomplish by killing them? Absolutely nothing.

Yes loved the honesty and authenticity of the film! The characters were so real and relatable too..the juxtaposition between the ideal and real world was also shown well..so innocently these two plan out their life together...with the big house, gardens...he'll work, she'll cook...but real life is not that ideal. Archie second guessing herself ..spending the money for vegetables on the poster of the life she had imagined for them..such nice little touches...where she says she wants to be with him but she also misses her family. Falling in love or eloping is the easy part. ... and that's beautifully shown here. Their fights aren't random and melodramatic either, but real and expected. I loved the scene where Archie sees the beggar couple and decides to come back after their fight. Rinku did really well there..yes I agree that given how strong she was she probably would have slapped him back but she did let him know it was not ok by walking out on him.

I loved the bits initially where their love story is established...where she's staring at him in class and he's begging her to stop and then he leaves class because he's embarrassed. 😆 The whole love letter is adorable too...the way they confess their love...the way his friends dance when she calls. 😆

About BW failing...you know like I said..BW despite all its resources has forgotten the simplicity which had made their films so likable. With the extra resources, their creativity has disappeared. They want to follow the same template...ek Baadshah ka gaana, thoda action, thode curtains, thoda VFX, 2-3 kisses...bas khatam. They are too busy focusing on the packaging that they have forgotten the very basics...I think Sairat's success shows that people just want wholesome entertainment at the end of the day...characters, stories, and milieu that they can connect to..don't need fancy stuff...and making films majority of the audience can connect to is what they're really struggling with.