Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 8 years ago
Spotlight
This year's Best Picture Academy Award winner is finally on Netflix. Spotlight is about the Boston Globe's Spotlight team's investigation of the sexual abuse scandal, and the subsequent cover-up, in the Roman Catholic Church. After seeing it, I can see why it won..not only is it socially important story, it is also a very well made film.

The best part of this film is that it doesn't sensationalize the scandal and the cover-up by the Church. Instead it just lays the facts bare for all to see...and it is the facts themselves that horrify. Close to 90 priests in Boston sexually abused young children..robbing them of their faith and identity. They picked young boys because they were less likely to say anything because of shame. At the end, we see a list of places where this happened...and it truly is heartbreaking to see just how far in the world and the US it happened.

It is absolutely terrible and depressing that the Law covered it up ...moving priests from parish to parish, settling cases rather than actually punishing the priests...allowing widespread sexual abuse to continue. In one of the most powerful scenes of the film, Mark Ruffalo's Mike Rezendes, while arguing with his boss Robby about going to press or not, says that they covered it up...they knew about it and didn't do anything...and it could have happened to anyone. Truly, to see wrong and then to turn a blind eye to it is the biggest failure.

The film wins at the story/screenplay level. It also doesn't try to make heroes or glorify the leads. They are who they are...investigative journalists doing their job...it is about their power as journalists to uncover wrongdoings and exposing them. It is because of its subtlety that this film is so powerful..and it is aided by a wonderful cast. The acting is fantastic. Specifically, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, and my favorite Michael Keaton really do justice to their parts.

4/5
Edited by turqoisedress - 8 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
Zootopia:

A very sweetly made film with such a powerful message about secularism and moving away from narrow minded prejudices. The bunny was super cute and her friendship with the fox was refreshingly shown without a cliched romantic angle. A film made with a lot of imagination and heart. Loved it!

4/5
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Spotlight
Well Turquoisedress echoed a lot of my thoughts two posts above. A very well made movie. Its on Netflix so watch it.

What I love is the understated acting in this film. These are all ordinary journalists doing their job. Barring a few emotional scenes there is no unnecessary drama. I love it when films have down to earth characters and portrayals.
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Watched Bajirao Mastani . Ranveer Singh was the only good thing from the movie otherwise it's the most overrated movie of 2015
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Ki & Ka
For me, this is the best film of the year so far! Fresh story concept and everything just clicked and worked!

The story and content is the biggest plus point of the movie, but at the same time the casting was PERFECT! I cant imagine anyone else doing these roles except Kareena and Arjun!

I am not a fan of either of them, but I can surely say they both have given one of their strongest and best performances! Absolutely mind-blown!

I like that the movie was not over-dramatic or too in your face. Exceptionally made!

10/10 for this one!
870349 thumbnail
I just saw Zootopia

A warm and fuzzy family movie . I loved it so much . I really loved that mayor Lion he was the most unique . But the sloths were funniest 😆

Theres never not a good time for your fox taser 😆😆

A 8 on 10 for me 😛
Edited by Maroon5.0 - 8 years ago
Amrita thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: AdaPadaKaunPada

Udta Punjab - Worth all the hype it had created. A really well crafted film from Abhishek Chaubey and his team.The best thing about the film is it's non preachy narrative-you see the film as a 'film', not a PSA.(Which is commendable since Bollywood goes overboard while dabbling into such topics.) The characters and their relationship with drugs stands out the most for me in the film, how Sudeep Sharma and Abhishek Chaubey has interwoven these four completely different characters and made them completely seamless with the storyline.Loved Alia's character the most out of the four-there was something to this nameless character which was with me even after the film ended.No wonder Alia got the best reviews for her acting,she was beyond brilliant.I also loved how her character has been given the least amount of dialogues,her silence adds so much to the state of her character.Rest of the cast was fine as well, I don't know why everyone was calling Kareena the weakest link; I think this was one of those few films where she was really subtle in her acting and did what her character demanded.(Thank god for that,otherwise we are so used to those heavy duty activist type characters in Bollywood films.)

My favourite scene in the film is that small kiss that Tommy and Alia's character shares after which she says 'yeh chod ke sab kuch kiya' (something on those lines).Alia stole that whole scene from Shahid.The only two things that bothered me in an otherwise brilliant film are the opening sequence and the ending sequence.I found the Chitta Ve sequence quite forced,patchy and unnecessarily stylized. Would have rather preferred them throwing the drugs and Alia's character receiving it without any interruption.The ending sequence too was a major bummer.Why did they give closure to Alia's character? It could have been so beautiful seeing her character remain nameless and unidentified throughout the film,that's the state of the immigrants working all over the country at the moment.I personally feel that shot of Sartaj and his brother sitting opposite to each other and the credits rolling with the brother's crying would have been a beautiful end! They diluted whatever they had built up throughout the film with the ending sequence after the main credits.
Irrespective of that, a wonderfully made film! 4/5

Also,this year Bollywood is having such superbly edited films-Neerja,Waiting,Udta Punjab.Hope this continues till the end of the year.

Great Review⭐️
loved the movie..
for me everyone played their role very well.Great movie
Big applause👏 to the whole crew related with this movie⭐️
Edited by .Amrita - 8 years ago
1019702 thumbnail
Raman Raghav 2.0 :

Trust Kashyap to come up with such Twisted Movie ...reminded me Kashyap of DevD , Gulaal , Ugly .
An Interesting Thriller based on the Personalities /Ego's of Raman and Raghav.
The concept of dividing movie in Chapters like a Book was Facinating ..
The Locked Man , The Sister ...The Son were Best one's esp The Sister.

Nawaaz gets a very well scripted character and he plays it Effortlessly ..
The dialogues of Raman are very Interesting , witty revealing his Character and that twisted Brain of his.
Vicky gets a kinda dual character ...He played it Brilliantly , bt Raghav's sudden breakdown were confusing .
Raghav has a supressed Ramn hidden in him , wants to come out but Raghav keeps holding him back , it does come out at times though .
May be there was a Moot Point in Raghav's sudden breakdown which I failed to Notice.🤔
I expected a Ego Battle / check and mate chase between Raman and Raghv but there was nothing as such ,It was mostly Raman and Raghav's life Parallel wwith Twisted Narration.
The only time they meet was in teh Last Chapter "The Soulmates" and how aptly titled..😆

Raman's Interrogation Scenes..in the First and Last Chapters were super Interesting..and What Dialogues...haha

The supporting actors were Brillaint too esp Amruta Subhash who plays Raman's sister.

Nawaaz totally owns the Movie , Wished they had sketched Raghav with some more detailing ...
Movie is mostly a Two Twisted yet Similar Brain PLay.

Edited by RollingStones - 8 years ago
998331 thumbnail
Sultan
Typical Sallu movie. Don't fall for critics' vadde vadde baatein.. woh kya my eyes got moist and blah blah.
Good thing about the move background music and its pace. No dragging of scenes.
Now I know why Kangu and Deepu didn't do this movie.
707763 thumbnail

Originally posted by: dahee

Sultan

Typical Sallu movie. Don't fall for critics' vadde vadde baatein.. woh kya my eyes got moist and blah blah.
Good thing about the move background music and its pace. No dragging of scenes.
Now I know why Kangu and Deepu didn't do this movie.

i can't imagine deepika and kangana as Wrestlers . I'm sure they couldn't either 😆😆😆