Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 7 years ago
MS Dhoni

I love love love Dhoni...he's one of my favorite...but this movie left me craving for a LOT more. There were some really nice scenes here in the first half. The whole bit with Dhoni doing the TC job and practicing cricket...that was super touching..how he feels like he's not going anywhere nothing is working..everyone goes through that. The movie did capture Dhoni's mysterious spirit. But that's it...there's no new genuine behind-the-scenes insight into who Dhoni is. A completely missed opportunity.

The movie is basically an album with snippets of Dhoni's life. There isn't a proper behind the build-up of how things happen...we just jump a few years into some other big match. There's no FLOW.. Like I would have loved to see a proper scene of how Dhoni felt making it to the Indian National Team, walking into the dressing room, coming from where he did...and then becoming a captain...meeting Sachin from being that young boy who begged his mom to buy Sachin's poster..or being in the same team as Yuvraj whose confidence and swag defeated his team in the basketball court (mad fun scene seeing a young Yuvi/Dhoni playing against each other)...the movie just hints at the helplessness Mahi felt seeing Yuvi and Kaif,who were his age, making great strides in the team whereas he was still struggling to make it. But these scenes are just dropped...we just jump to oh he's in the team..oh he's captain (HOW DID HE GET THERE??)...oh he wants changes... Oh he wins 2007WC. Ok. It becomes hard to properly root or feel for anything when it becomes like that. The movie does a lot of telling but very little showing. The girls add nothing. They really should have been kept out because all they did was drag the movie on. Bad screenplay, badly edited, and badly directed. Neerja Pandey was totally the wrong person to make this. I'm really upset with him.

That being said, in the first half there really are multiple super touching scenes. ...hard work begets success and the movie does a good job of that...Mahi was always destined for greatness and the movie does show that but from an outside point of view more.. The scene in which his friends drive him to Kolkata all night and he misses the flight for the match by 30 mins and he just goes off to the side to cry was lovely. The movie is essentially a thank you to everyone who went out of their way to help Mahi succeed and reach where he is...the coaches, the friends, the employers...family, etc. I'd call this movie more of a documentary of his life rather than a true biography/biopic, which is fine -- but it skipped over a lot of important scenes in giving importance to the 2 romances.

Sushant really did a super commendable job as Mahi. It's difficult because Mahi is such an enigma...but he got Mahi right from the walk and talk..and everything! Definitely one of the best performances of the year and I don't think anyone else could have done it -- that's the biggest compliment I can give him. But alas, he was let down by the director putting in such a shoddy effort.

2/5
Edited by turqoisedress - 7 years ago
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
DANGAL- FATHIMA SANA SHEIKH- WOW! Everyone has already said how good the movie and the acting is and my opinion is the same but I have to single out Fathima for the intensity with which she enacted the role of Geeta. Despite the difference in their physical attributes, not even for once did I think I am seeing an actor and not Geeta Phogat onscreen. One of the best debut performances after a long time in Bollywood. I had some issues with the second half but on the whole,a really good film.

3.5/5

Also,Neerja should be published as a 'Director's guide on how to stay true to facts and still make a good biopic.' Don't get the khujli Bollywood directors have in changing facts to add dramatic element to Indian biopics. 😕

Edited by Dhaa-Ki-Tiki - 7 years ago
Chudailpaapi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Pan's Labyrinth - Love this movie. Guillermo del Toro is easily one of my favorite director. I had watched Crimson Peak on big screen at midnight. That was some experience.

Come September - Oh Rock Hudson. I can see this man in anything.

Dangal - Nice movie. Can see why it has good WOM...

HIDEnSEEK06 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
DANGAL:

It's brilliant. Aamir was excellent. I thought that Geeta Bobita will overshadow Mahaveer. But i was wrong. Mahaveer was the key to success to Geeta Bobita. Kudos to Aamir for portraying Mahaveer Phogat this much flawlessly. 👏
Spoilers:
When Phogat was locked in the room and the National anthem started..the expressions Aamir gave was too good
Kudos to both the girls too! I loved Geeta's cute smile😳
Sakshi too preformed well her role. I loved her dialogue delivery...especially how she said "Geetta Bobitta" and then "itna jaldi vulegi kee"😆
Geeta Bobita's that cousin performed well too. I was laughing at his small antics😆
And how can I forget the DDLJ..my fan girl moment! 😆
Palat! Palat! ☺️
Last not the least...this movie is far better than Sultan. Sultan is an entertaining movie...but this is an inspiring movie...not anywhere close to that.

Another thing i wanna say...it's very good movie...but not better than LAGAAN at all...nor anyhow close to CHAK DE INDIA.

Overall ratings: 4.5/5
Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: angrybread

Dangal

**** Might contain spoilers ****

1st half was really good but second half seemed a bit long - had a bit of dramatisation /masala addition via coach and locking mahavir in the room was too much ( want to know if it really happened with real mahavir or is it just the movie ) , how they portrayed australian wrestler as some villain etc etc ..too many things reminded me of CDI including final match with australia .

All dramatisation. The then-national coach is trying to sue the Dangal creators for making him a villain. Doubt he will win becoz movie started with All Characters are Fictional. Poor him. for the country he will be a villain which is really bad.
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -Arsal-

True. It is devastating and a difficult viewing; but it stays with you for a long time. Haneke is a master storyteller.

His next movie is supposed to come out next year titled Happy End, set against the the backdrop of European refugee crises. One of my most anticipated movies of 2017.

The movie should be titled 'Murder' instead of Amour which means Love I think
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: UntamableSpirit

Home Alone 1 & 2 --- these movies never get old around cozy & bright *Christmas tree* --- !!!!

Must watch -- but then who hasn't seen 'em --- *😛*

Agree Must watch esp around Xmas season ⭐️

Here Maccauley Culkin spoofs Home Alone series.. it's a 5 min bit, it's funny, dark and offensive then again I thought even the original Home Alone was a little too violent and offensive for a kids movie, maybe I am easily offended 😊

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7-wAy_8ss[/YOUTUBE]
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
La La Land

*SPOILERS*

What a beautiful beautiful movie! So heartbreaking yet so positive and hopeful...So fantasy-like and yet SO real and charming ❤️❤️

The movie is basically the director's love letter to musicals, to jazz, to the visual aspect of filmmaking...all dying. It's shot so beautifully.. the color palette, the cinematography...(oof some scenes in this movie are so breathtakingly beautiful!). There hasn't been a representation as good as this about the high that art can give you...the opening credit sequence is something! The scene where Sebastian explains to Mia why jazz is so great, bench scene, scene at the planetarium, and the ending...could hear many in the theater crying and sighing at how bittersweet it was ❤️

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have fantastic chemistry...always have. I loved them in 'Crazy Stupid Love' but here it's literally bursting through each scene. I've rarely seen this kind of chemistry between actors. But there's more to the movie than just their chemistry...Ryan plays Sebastian, a jazz musician, who wants to open up his own jazz club and Emma is Mia, an aspiring actress..together they battle through the age old conundrum of that once-in-a-lifetime passionate love vs their professional ambitions. That ending sequence where Sebastian dreams of how their life could have been is just brilliant...even in that fantasy world, they just can't have everything together, but apart they could achieve all their dreams..that doesn't mean that happiness eludes them. That last look they give each other to tell each other that they're ok and happy. ❤️

Emma is great...her big beautiful blue eyes portray so much .. the pits and highs of her chosen career path...Ryan is absolutely charming! They're not the best dancers or singers but their sincerity is charming and enough.

It's ironic, though not surprising, that BW is known for the song and dance routines intertwined with immense love and fantastic chemistry, but HW has put a better version of it than BW has in years. That's because of the level of creativity, novelty, writing, and story-telling is just outstanding here. I haven't seen any of director Damien Chazelle's work before, but I'll definitely be catching up on it and keeping an eye out for him because he's definitely going to be someone to watch out for. Special mention to choreographer Mandy Moore... some beautiful routines here!

Watch!
briahna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
loved loved la la land!
👍🏼
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: turqoisedress

La La Land

*SPOILERS*

What a beautiful beautiful movie! So heartbreaking yet so positive and hopeful...So fantasy-like and yet SO real and charming ❤️❤️

The movie is basically the director's love letter to musicals, to jazz, to the visual aspect of filmmaking...all dying. It's shot so beautifully.. the color palette, the cinematography...(oof some scenes in this movie are so breathtakingly beautiful!). There hasn't been a representation as good as this about the high that art can give you...the opening credit sequence is something! The scene where Sebastian explains to Mia why jazz is so great, bench scene, scene at the planetarium, and the ending...could hear many in the theater crying and sighing at how bittersweet it was ❤️

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have fantastic chemistry...always have. I loved them in 'Crazy Stupid Love' but here it's literally bursting through each scene. I've rarely seen this kind of chemistry between actors. But there's more to the movie than just their chemistry...Ryan plays Sebastian, a jazz musician, who wants to open up his own jazz club and Emma is Mia, an aspiring actress..together they battle through the age old conundrum of that once-in-a-lifetime passionate love vs their professional ambitions. That ending sequence where Sebastian dreams of how their life could have been is just brilliant...even in that fantasy world, they just can't have everything together, but apart they could achieve all their dreams..that doesn't mean that happiness eludes them. That last look they give each other to tell each other that they're ok and happy. ❤️

Emma is great...her big beautiful blue eyes portray so much .. the pits and highs of her chosen career path...Ryan is absolutely charming! They're not the best dancers or singers but their sincerity is charming and enough.

It's ironic, though not surprising, that BW is known for the song and dance routines intertwined with immense love and fantastic chemistry, but HW has put a better version of it than BW has in years. That's because of the level of creativity, novelty, writing, and story-telling is just outstanding here. I haven't seen any of director Damien Chazelle's work before, but I'll definitely be catching up on it and keeping an eye out for him because he's definitely going to be someone to watch out for. Special mention to choreographer Mandy Moore... some beautiful routines here!

Watch!

WATCH WHIPLASH.
NOW!

-Crazy Chazelle Fan 😆