Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 7 years ago
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
I've been meaning to write this for a while and finally got around to it.

I neither hated nor loved this movie. It was interesting enough...a decent one time watch... not a KJo movie I will return to many times a la KKHH/K3G but definitely not a KJo movie I hate like KANK.

It was an anti-KKHH in many ways...where KKHH innocently taught us that friendship is love, ADHM is about how friendship is greater than romantic love..I guess I can see KJo's evolution as a person in this..in KKHH, he was this young, innocent, and ideal person ...and in ADHM, a much older man who has seen heartbreak and loneliness.

I liked the second half much more, minus the cancer track (that was a lame way to get them reconnected again). First half was ok...Karan has done much much better with the easy-breezy vibe before..plus, I felt Anu and RK were overacting to the max in the first half. They all got better in the second half or right before the second half when the conflict actually starts.

My problem is I could understand all the characters, their motivations, and reactions but somewhere I just didn't love them or truly care for them...if that makes any sense? I felt bad for Ayan and Alizeh but their heartbreak didn't break my heart...like Anjali's heartbreak in KKHH is actually heartbreaking.. I didn't cry in a KJo film and KJo is a master at that! I just felt like something was missing..
Aish was better in the movie than the promos made it seem..she lent a dignity and maturity to the movie in her very short role. Lisa's cameo was funny. Didn't care for Fawad in the 2 scenes he had though it's obvious a lot of his scenes were cut. But I hated SRK's cameo...yikes! so much overacting. If KJo is going to let SRK act like that then I'd rather not see any of their collaborations again. Anushka and Ranbir were overall good, especially in the second half when they truly brought their A-game but IMHO, not best performance of the year types plus very been there done that for them ... I do think KJo gave them both interesting arcs though..I always think it's not easy to play characters that the audience doesn't like. But like I said, something was missing overall.

2.5/5
Edited by turqoisedress - 7 years ago
pieryrose thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
I watched two movies in one day. 😆

1. Ae Dil Hai mushkil

I cant exactly say i loved the movie, or hated the movie. It was an okay film, and i am sure i am never going to re-watch this again. Good for one time watch. It really dd not feel like THE KJO movies we have seen in the past. Something felt a miss, and i truly did not get much involved in the characters unlike KJO's past movies. That connection was missing somewhere along the way.

First half is full of overacting, but some parts were really nice. Second half went back and forth and whoever decided to reunite them through cancer, got the worst possible idea ever. It was lame, and it DID NOT FIT perfectly in tone with the movie, IMO. This is why it lacked in emotions department for me. I cry so much when it comes to KJO movies, bur i did not shed one tear for this movie. Disappointing in the story and the writing.

All actors did a great job. Ranbir cries so adorably, and glad to see anuskha , and aishwariya is gorgeous. I just could not take my eyes off her. Fawad was okay, but he was hot, but due to his scenes cut, i could not connect to his character much. SRK overacted and it made me cringe so hard.

I liked some of the dialouges, and it was touching. The songs were so damn good, but my favorite is Channa Mereya. THE BESTEST SONG OF THIS YEAR. The songs and the actors saved the movie for me.

Ratings : 2.5/5

2.Dangal

Great movie with superb cast. The story, the direction, the writing, the narration was great, and i can easliy say, i watched one of the bestest movies of this year , without a doubt.

First half was so good, and i loved the young actress who played the teen Geeta's part. Second half was a bit drag, but it was engaging enough. The bouts in the commonwealth games, the last 3 bouts played out, was , as if i was watching a real match. I could not take my eyes off for a second. It was thrilling, entertaining, and it just made me feel so connected,d like i was siting in the audience and cheering for her to win. The older Geeta's role was played out so perfectly. The actress should deserve an award.

All i can say is that, despite the father forcing the girls to do wrestling, i was proud of him,that he proved that he did not do a mistake in forcing his dream upon them. They realized, whatever he did for them, was all for their benefit and for their future. I cried when she won gold.

Rating 4/5 ( MUST WATCH)
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Suicide Squad
Underwhelming. It did not have the pace, narrative and engagement that superhero/fantasy films have. This was a wasted opportunity. Jared Leto's Joker was overdone and unnecessary. The only Saving Grace was Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Secret Life of Pets

Cute. The story was not what I expected. It is nothing to special, but it is entertaining. A middle of the road time pass family film.

Kapoor and Sons

Charming. A well done dysfunctional family film of Indian cinema. The narrative dragged at times, but the story and characters held your interest. I wish the storylines of cheating and homosexuality were better executed. Although better than most Indian films, they were still half baked.

Dangal

Exhilarating. Aamir Khan does it again. Dangal is an, exciting, riveting, feminist sports film. The first half is breezy entertaining and flies by quickly. The second half falters a little with some excess in dramatic flair. It also drags a bit. It still holds its own with some of the most well executed sports scenes in Indian cinema. There is realism, authenticity and they truly grip you.

Aamir Khan has received a lot of accolades, but the girls in the film are amazing. They really hold their own on screen against a heavyweight like Aamir Khan. You can see that all four girls have put tremendous effort, especially in the fight scenes.

Millie Bobby Brown, Fatima Sana Shaikh and Sanya Malhotra have taken risks to cut of their long locks for roles - and the risks have reaped great returns.
the_notebook thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Gone Girl
Can't explain how much I love this movie! ❤️

Amazing Amy and her husband both were bad people and deserved each other, that's what I got from the movie. It's such a thrilling movie and the 'cool girl' portion is the BEST!!!

5/5 <3 I wish it has a sequel. It would rock.
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Watched a few in the past couple of weeks..
Last King of Scotland --

If you are easily carried away by what you watch, there's two scenes in this movie you have to skip - better don't watch it altogether.. cried a lot, I still cannot get over it, you don't want that scene inside your head.

Anyway, Forest Whitaker was simply magnificent in this role. So was McAvoy. This is a real story based on a book(well, partly real i guess) about mentally unstable Uganadan President(dictator) and his friendship with a Scottish physician. It starts from the portrayal of his win in elections, his political image, his character behind the scenes. The innocence of Ugandans is touching.. how easily the people put their faith and are soo happy just to see President's car go past them..

Bande a part --

A Jean Luc Godard movie - that should say it all! :) Loved it - the dialogues, the actors, the plot and the direction! It's about the friends who plan to commit robbery.. One of them, Odile tells Franz of the money in her aunt's house, he brings in Arthur and both the boys keep trying to seduce her, coax her into helping them commit it, while she only gets more and more reluctant about it.. Youth and their mindless actions despite their ability to think and reflect is perfectly shown :p I found it to be much simple compared to ones i previously watched..

Wild Strawberries --

Ingmar Bergman movie.. LOVED it.
Story of an old man who is (or he thinks is) getting closer to death.. He is a cold/grumpy old man, wakes up to a dream in which he sees himself in a coffin, which shows he feels he is getting old and closer to death... it's his big day too - he was going to recieve his doctorate. So he sets off on a journey with his daughter-in-law to meet his mother before going to the uni.. and in this journey he meets several characters, he himself has dreams through out the journey... to put it simply, he is reflecting on his life, having gotten so old.. he feels he was a man who didn't 'love' anyone in his life - neglected people.. you actually start feeling sorry for the poor man, because he regrets his 'coldness' but, he still cherishes the memories, he isn't cold then is he? .. he's my favorite character, one feels like you get to know him personally at the end of the movie! :)
It's a beautiful movie.. so much in this movie I cannot express, it is thought-provoking, explores relationships, and most importantly, explores the 'self' ...and again, intelligent dialogues, beautiful actors, and beautiful direction...

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

How could I forget, watched Snowden too!

First things first, JGL is simply GOOD. Very good.
Secondly, I liked it... although I will not go on to comment on whether or not his actions are completely justified.. I think that is what is the goodness in this movie, although the ending seems to suggest otherwise.

The way the story builds is nicely shown, it isn't messed up - we clearly get to see the change in Snowden's beliefs/ideas/principles since his training for the Special Forces up til the point where drone crashes into their party, and also, after he is charged with espionage and so on.

But what I liked is, they showed his paranoia surrounding surveillance too :-) ..his paranoia that he might be under surveillance and that, it would be used against him, as it has been with a Pakistani incumbent. That is actually very important in the whole movie - imo. All in all, nice movie. The ending could've been better or more "balanced", imo.. but was good anyway..

I watched 'Her' too.. But only watched half of it..then got bored lol, I did fall asleep multiple times during the movie 😆 ..i have to complete it sometime though. So far I've watched, it's interesting because it is set in the future and the imagined world is.. amusing - visually, but also makes one feel sad about it because it paints a gloomy picture of human relationships and loneliness. Jaoquin Phoenix's job itself, although may look cute but it's so much indicating at the loneliness in people.. Scarlett Johannson's voice was perfectly used for the movie :p ..loneliness is reinforced everywhere, heavily blankets the movie, atleast so far as I've watched.
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
dangal
great story to teel, and well made but very long n need not put too much detail in every frigging bout of wrstling

aamir is fab but last 20 mins it was cdi throwback:P

girls were fab

they deserve all debut awards esp fatima> patani
NeutralBitiya thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Mr. Nobody

If you have been always fascinated about Life do watch the movie.
saymaF29 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NeutralBitiya

Mr. Nobody

If you have been always fascinated about Life do watch the movie.

It's a beautiful film. I loved it. Jared Leto is a stunning actor
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Dangal

**** Might contain spoilers ****

1st half was really good but second half seemed a bit long - had a bit of dramatisation /masala addition via coach and locking mahavir in the room was too much ( want to know if it really happened with real mahavir or is it just the movie ) , how they portrayed australian wrestler as some villain etc etc ..too many things reminded me of CDI including final match with australia .