Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Arifa Siddiqi

TV Actress

• This yearsteday's child star is daughter of Talat Siddiqi, and sister of Naheed Siddiqi. Talat Siddiqi has her roots in Lahore film industry. Naheed Siddiqi (wife of Zia Moheyuddin) is one of the few classical dancers in Pakistan. • Arifa's acting career started at a very young age from children shows. As a grown up, her roles in the beginning can be attributed as safarishi. But with time, her acting skills improved and now she can be called a mature actor. • Arifa is a multi-media performer and can be seen in TV, film, and in Ads (like eating some brand of basmati Rice). Hmmm... now we know why she has put on weight. • Popular Shows: Fishaar. Pyaas. Sumandar.

Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail
Savera Nadeem

TV Actress

TV Actress Savera Nadeem is a rare combination of sobriety and glamour. From performing a role of a bold girl in Inkaar to de-glamoursied roles in true stories on the October 8 earthquake tragedy, Savera seems the perfect choice. • Savera bagged a PTV award for her groundbreaking performance in drama serial Inkaar. In the past, this award had been associated with big names like Khalida Riyasat, Uzma Gillani and Roohi Bano. Savera started her acting career at quite a young age of 15 from theatre. Her first drama was Kiran which was telecast in 1994-95, and her acting prowess attracted both viewers and producers. No doubt, her looks and style, especially in this drama, were really good. Once stepping into the showbiz world. Savera won the hearts of many by her spontaneous performance. • Why did you want to become an actress? Both of my parents are creative. So creativity is in my genes. • What sort of characters appeal to you most? Honest and brave. • How do you get into the character? I try to be inspired by the character. I observe people and their attitudes. I think that in our daily life we come across thousands of characters and stories. All one needs is good observation to become a good actor. • Is acting an inborn talent or anyone can learn it? All of us can act. But when it comes to outshining others in acting, certain things give you an edge like confidence and a good voice. • Recently you acted in a play based on the October 8 earthquake tragedy. How did you feel about that? It was scary. It subjected me to the extreme pain and anguish of those who underwent that horrible experience. It was really tragic. I think it was a colossal tragedy. • What do you think about the quality of TV dramas going on air these days? I am a sincere person and am committed to my profession. So when I see people who are not devoted enough, I feel hurt and this is also the basic reason for quality deterioration. People don't want to go beyond certain limits when it comes to exploring new avenues and ways of interpreting things. • What was your experience as a director and producer? Well, tough is perhaps not the correct word for it. In Kal, it was sort of juggling with acting, production, direction and management. At times, the script needed a change inviting my immediate attention. I don't remember having a good sleep in those 10 or 15 days of shooting. • Life to you means…? Learning from your past mistakes. • Your phobia? Lizards. • What are the qualities you would like to have in your life partner? He should be honest and strong. Moreover, he should have a good sense of humour. • What are your strong and weak points? I trust easily and sometimes I have to suffer big losses due to this habit. I am an honest person. • Do you enjoy social gatherings? I like to spend time with persons of my liking. I also like to spend time with myself. • In spite of having a good height you didn't go for acting in films? Any specific reason? No good offer came my way. That is the only reason for not doing modelling and films as well. • Which has been the most satisfying role of your career? The role I played in drama serial Inkaar. • Do you feel related to this character? No, it was quite contrary to my nature. • What are your projects in the pipeline? I am busy in Karachi centres. I am doing soaps. I am also producing drama series under my own production house. • One thing you'd like to change about yourself? Habit of putting things off until the last minute. • Are you a fashion freak? To some extent. • Your favourite perfume? Escape. • Your favourite singers? Sting, Hemant Kumar. • If given a chance, what would you like to be reborn as? A fantastic dancer. • A thing you love and hate both? Honesty. • Your only wish? To explore all my potential and to never hurt anyone. • Fame to you means...? Have today, gone tomorrow. • The real you is? The one I show the world, no difference.

deactivated thumbnail
Sahira Kazmi

• Sahira Kazmi joined TV with her husband Rahat Kazmi and did good acting in some plays like "Purchaiyan" and "Teesra Kinara". Then she joined PTV as a director and produced some good musical programs and dramas. Her latest production is the play Tum Sey Kehna Tha casting Marina Khan. • Popular Show: Purchaiyan.
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Honest Vaneeza!

"As far as I am concerned I am a through professional and do my job with honesty. I have no complaints against multinational companies, they have their own system. I have this contract with Al-Karam for five years and molty foam for 3 years and am totally satisfied with their professional attitude. But I have had a very bad experience with Tibet snow. I did a Tv commercial for them and there was no mention of press ad in the contract. But they went on to release press and without my permission. It was a breach of contract but I could not do nothing against them. I think contracts do nothing for models, they are in interst of the agencies. Whereas I strongly recommend that models should put their act together in order to safeguard their artist. Before signing any contract they should consult a lawyer. We have to have a system which can define our rights too."
wini thumbnail
Neha Dhupia Goes To Lollywood.

After the Bollywood debut of Pakistani actress Meera , it is now the turn of Indian actresses to work in Lollywood (Lahore-based) cinema.Neha Dhupia who shot to fame with her bold portrayal of 'Julie' in Bollywood , parallels popularity of Madhuri Dixit among the Pakistani fans. Neha is now ready to sizzle in Lollywood with her dare and bare item number in her first Lollywood venture.

Filmmaker Javed Raza, popularly known as Pakistan's showman, is making Kabhi Pyar Na Karna, which has an item number featuring hot Neha Dhupia. The song was shot in Mumbai. As for her role as an item girl, the actress describes it as situational song integral to the film and she is energetic about her project.

She may be an item girl in Lollywood now, but surveys among Lollywood fans of Pakistan say that they can't wait to see Neha for what she is famous for. Neha is also excited about her upcoming film Siskiyaan in which she plays a journalist.
wini thumbnail
Lollywood actress Meera

Lollywood actress Meera who has starred in Bollywood's 'Nazar' and 'Kasak' is proud of her beauty and youth.

In a recent talk with an Indian daily newspaper, Meera has said she was prettier and younger than Bollywood actresses Rani Mukherjee and Preity Zinta. ' I possess a nicer face and am more photogenic. '

When asked what made her conclude that she could be a Madhuri Dixit of the Indian film industry, Meera reportedly said, "I want to become Madhuri Dixit and I think I have got the right kind of talent for that. I am playing the character of Madhuri Dixit in the Pakistani remake of Devdas. I feel that I can do it successfully."

deactivated thumbnail

The stage is set: Aus vs. NZ; semi-final #1

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Source: PTI
Image Source: AFP

Mohali: Having come close once again to the title that has eluded them so far, world champions Australia go into the Champions Trophy semi-final against New Zealand on Thursday fully aware that any slip-up at this stage could spell doom to their mission.

The Australians are the clear favourites but are in no mood to take their opponents lightly in what promises to be a thrilling contest of skill and nerve.

The Kiwis have a number of all-rounders in their ranks and have the capability to spring a surprise on their day, which is bound to keep Ricky Ponting and his men on their toes right through the floodlit encounter.

The perennial 'underdog' tag has suited the Kiwis who can go out and play their natural game while the pressure will be on their rivals who are expected to win as they are the top ranked team.

Ponting has told his teammates to guard against complacency as a drop in intensity level could prove disastrous.

"We want to win this title, it's the second biggest tournament after the World Cup. It's our goal to win it", Ponting said.

Although most matches in this high-profile event have turned out to be low-scoring affairs, the last Group A tie between India and Australia saw some runs being scored and it remains to be seen whether the script unfolds in a similar way on the morrow.

The batsmen will have to deliver the goods and the return to form of Ponting is a positive sign for the team which had made it to the semi-finals on two earlier ocassions but has never managed to go beyond that stage.
deactivated thumbnail
Strict laws for Cricket World Cup 2007: Trinidad govt

Port of Spain (Trinidad): The Trinidad and Tobago Government is all set to bring a series of legislations to ensure smooth conduct of next year's cricket World Cup.

Come November 1, the House of Representatives will enact a series of laws for peaceful and safe conduct of matches at the Queen's Park Oval. Unruly cricket fans could be fined a maximum of USD 20,000 if they are found to be involved in destructive activities.

The authorities are also going to take a hard look at material being published about the World Cup. However, the special security measures will not hurt Caribbean tourism, according to Trinidad and Tobago's Minister of Tourism Howard Chin Lee.

The Minister told the media at the 29th Caribbean Tourism Conference in the Bahamas that local tourism would not be harmed. The United States and regional governments are putting plans in place "to ensure these measures do not negatively impact on the project tourist arrivals for the World Cup 2007."

Currently a legislation temporarily waives visa, work permit, import and export duties among CARICOM countries until June 30 next year
deactivated thumbnail

'Some want Shoaib, Asif to be let off lightly'

Image Source: AP

Karachi: Barrister Shahid Hamid, who heads the drugs inquiry tribunal probing the positive dope tests of pacers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, has admitted there is a point of view that they should be handed out a punishment that makes them available for next year's World Cup.

Hamid made these comments while responding to queries from a bench of the Supreme Court in Islamabad headed by Chief Justice Chaudhry Iftikhar Ahmed.

Although Hamid appeared before the bench in connection with another case, the Chief Justice and other judges inquired from him about the doping case and expressed disappointment with the performance of Pakistan in the Champions Trophy.

Hamid, a well-known senior barrister, told them there was a view to save the two bowlers for the World Cup but another view was to hand them out strict punishment for bringing shame on the country.

Shoaib and Asif were recalled from the Champions Trophy in India two weeks ago for failing a dope test and testing positive for banned steroid Nandrolone.

The tests were conducted internally by the Pakistan Cricket Board so the punishment for the offence will be decided by the tribunal although international doping regulations warrant a two-year ban for a first violation.

There have also been rumours of the tribunal letting off the two players with a ban of one or two months and a heavy financial fine so that they are available for the World Cup. However, Hamid told the judges that the tribunal would decide on the case in the next two days and the verdict would be based purely on merit.
deactivated thumbnail

"Nehra undid his good work with the ball"

Pakistan levelled the one-day series with a win that, like the Indian win in Karachi, wasn't sure till the last ball was bowled. It is turning out to be a high scoring series and the bowlers of both sides now know the enormity of their tasks. The pitches are real beauties to bat on and once a batsman gets set then it's only his mistake or an overcautious shots that will cost him his wicket.

Inzamam-ul-Haq, the Pakistani captain ensured he batted first on winning the toss and the inclusion of Shahid Afridi gave his team just the kind of player who can get the team off to a start. He took his time to settle down since he was making a comeback to the team but then played his usual brand of shots that make him such a dangerous batsman. Yasir Hamid was more correct and more organised and with Balaji and Zaheer not sticking to one line of attack there were runs to be had off the attack.

India introduced Sehwag to see if slowing the pace down would help but Afridi only increased his tempo of scoring. Yuvraj got him when he went for a cross-batted slog and then got Youhana as well. With Hamid getting into a run-out tangle with his skipper and Younis Khan also not capitalising on the start he had got, it looked as if Pakistan would struggle to get to 300. Nehra had come in to bowl a fine full length and put the brakes on the scoring but Razzaq who should have been sent earlier played a blazing innings to take Pakistan to the total they did. Razaq is another dangerous batsman and Pakistan must utilise him higher up the order especially if he is not going to complete his full quota of overs as a bowler.

This being the home ground for Shoaib Akhtar, the Rawalpindi Express, it was important for him not to lose control as he had in the first one-dayer and with Inzamam cleverly keeping Sami as first change, when the ball was not brand new, the Indian openers were kept in some check. Akhtar produced an express delivery to go through Sehwag's defence and with Laxman being adjudged leg-before to Sami, Tendulkar had to play a major innings to keep India in the hunt.

The little champion did exactly that as he paced his innings to perfection and produced shots all round the wicket too. His partnership with Dravid gave India hope that they would get to their target but Sami bowled an outstanding spell and there were some soft dismissals like Kaif's and Zaheer's, which made the task look enormous. Still it was good to see the fight back by debutant Powar, who also bowled well, and Balaji that took India close to an impossible win. Nehra undid the good work he had done as a bowler by having a wild slog at his first ball when he should have looked to give the strike to Powar.

The two matches have shown that there is very little that separates the teams and as the nervousness and tension of the first matches eases away, the games will continue to be closed contested as most India - Pakistan games are. Both teams have problems with their bowling attack though the Pakistani bowlers are looking better as they relax and more likely to play a role than the Indian bowlers. The Indian fielding is getting better but the throwing-in is not only tardy but also not flat and accurate. If they get it right then they will save themselves about 20 to 30 runs and as we saw here that can be the difference between winning and losing.