Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Lahore: J&S Spring Ball in association with Telenor.

Kami, Sanam and HSY
Natasha Hussain
R-L Abrar, Ali Murtaza, Ali Zafar, Kornelija, Deena Khan, Meena and friends
AD and Nehzat
Amminah, Talal and Ammar
DJ Stephanie from Paris
Guests
Kami, Adnan Malik and Anoushey dancing the night away
Deena Khan and Rabia Jafri of Telenor with friends
Guests from Karachi
Edited by Fiza_87 - 17 years ago
*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Lucy and Shaffu are back!

Lucy and Shaffu are the famous and unforgettable characters from a popular sitcom "Teen Bata Teen" (played by Adeel Hashmi and Faisal Qureshi). These memorable witty personalities are making a comeback in this show which mainly revolves around, well, them!

It is actually a candid camera show with Lucy and Shaffu's real life situations and social linkages as the main essence of the show. The linkages are divided into five parts (mornings, office hours, afternoons, evenings and night time) which will break the monotony as a whole. The set-based situations feature Lucy and his friend Shaffu, with different celebrities and personalities invited in each episode to do a guest appearance. Yet, through the clever script writing, it all comes across as a tightly woven plot.

In addition to the set-based scenes and situations, the producers have thrown in candid camera scenes as well. These candid camera scenes will be interlinked with the storyline in a way that keeps the viewers engrossed, and adds to the comedy as the storyline unfolds. The candid camera scenes have all been shot outdoors with real, unsuspecting people on the roads and only after fooling them do the producers reveal the hidden cameras and let them know that it's a program and their genuine reactions have been caught on tape!

These two characters are still liked and remembered by many fans so it is bound to be an instant hit with the audience. Plus the clever amalgamation of set-based, fictional situations, guest appearances by celebrities, and the interspersed candid camera scenes should make this a very creative venture to watch.

Faisal Qureshi as Shaffu

Adeel Hashmi as Lucy

Edited by Fiza_87 - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

RJ AYESHA ALAM : CITY FM 89'S HIT RJ EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

She rocks!

Ayeshah Alam is no stranger to TV and radio audiences in Pakistan. She is a versatile, dynamic woman with a footprint all over popular media. She's a radio jockey with CityFM89, she's starred in several TV sitcoms and serials, and the famous independent film "Daira" – based on Mohsin Hamid's Moth Smoke – in which she played the female lead as Mumtaz. Ayeshah has also done numerous modeling engagements and is a very familiar face even for those who may have missed her on TV.

In an exclusive Rendezvous with us, Ayeshah talks about how it all started for her, what she's doing now, what she likes and what she doesn't, and more...

1. You've got so many angles to your personality – modeling, acting, show hosting – when and how did it all begin?

Hmm. I think I have always been an actress…that's what my mother used to say anyway! I always knew I wanted to act or be involved with the performing arts at some level. Modeling happened by accident as I had gone to Nabila's for a haircut, she asked me to model in her hair show, I said yes, and the rest as they say is history. I guess as I grew up, I changed, evolved, discovered new things I enjoyed doing, and tried to bring that into my work.

2. Out of all the work you've done, which projects or shows are your personal favorites?

I loved my first show for Nabila as that was a defining moment for me as my first step into the media world. My first play on stage, my first stint in front of the camera, my first time finding my voice on the radio, have all been defining milestones!.

3. What part of your creative career do you enjoy the most?

I guess it's kind of changed through the years. I do enjoy acting but only with a director who actually thinks about his/her character and is willing to work on that with the actor.

4. What are some of the things you are working on these days?

Radio and TV…trying to get a script written…been a challenge I've been trying to overcome for years now.

5. Things have changed a lot in the media world since you started working – how do you feel about it?

Well it hasn't changed enough and it still needs to be treated as a serious profession. But hopefully that will come to as people see this as something serious and not as a photo op.

Ayeshah, in a show with cricketer Waseem Akram

6. What are some of the things you love the most about working in Pakistan, as a woman, in the media business?

I don't think I have ever thought of myself separately as a woman in the media. I just consider myself a media person. I love my work and pushing the boundaries and being a part of changes in attitudes..

7. What would you say to people who don't know Pakistan as well, but define its society as orthodox and oppressive?

I would say they need to visit Pakistan to truly appreciate Pakistan and the rich diversity one finds here. I would tell them to listen to cityfm89 on the web to get a taste of another section of society and look through our glossies instead of only Fox news as their source.

8. If you were made the Minister of Culture – what are some of the things you'd do to promote Pakistan on an international level?

I would immediately ask Hameed Haroon and Hameed Akhund to please join the group and actively pursue ways and means of promoting our artisans and musicians in collaboration with modern day artists and promote them through the media. Awareness of their talent and creating a demand for their art will help feed them and encourage them to stay with the art, which in turn is a great image builder for Pakistan.

9. Some people who know you say that you are one of the most caring people they've ever met – does that help or hurt you as a media professional, especially with all the competition?

They do?? They're lying!! Um… no idea…and to be honest, don't care. I am who I am and how I am, and never really worried about how that would affect my career. I believe in people more than I do in a career…careers have ups and downs, it's the people who see you through!.

10. If you got a chance to live the life of another person who would you choose and why?

I wouldn't choose anyone else. Good grief…my demons are enough to deal with, why would I want to learn to deal with someone else's!!

11. If you were offered a role in a Hollywood production, who would you like to be your co-star(s)?

Yummmy…Johnny Depp because he would be a phenomenal actor to bounce off and Mathew McConaughey because he is just pure delicious; his acting ain't too bad either ;)

12. What about Bollywood – any particular stars you would really like to work with?

Abhishek Bachchan because of the yum factor…Saif same thing…as an actor would love to work with Amitabh or Nana Patekar.

13. What are three things you cannot live without?

Freedom of expression, love, spontaneity.

14. What is the one thing you wish would never exist?

Dishonesty.

15. What kind of people do you like the most?

Honest, down to earth, able to laugh at themselves.

16. What can you absolutely not stand in a person?

Dishonesty and pretentiousness.

17. What kind of movies do you like? Any recent favorites?

'Last king of Scotland' I really enjoyed. I enjoy all kinds...I'm a sap for romances, biographies, historical, political, thrillers, comedies. I guess it would be easier to ask what kind of movies I don't like…I don't like bloody gory movies and have outgrown horror movies.

18. What kind of music do you like the best? Any favorite songs?

You're asking this of someone who has been a Radio Jockey for 3 years (laughs). Hmm…again, love all kinds of music except heavy metal. Anything that grates on the ears, I don't like..

19. Who would you say is your (a) favorite model, (b) favorite TV show host, and (c) favorite actor?

Model would be Christy Turlington…very classy woman. TV show host, I would say Oprah. (Yes, yes…sappy, I know) and actor…that's a tough one as I like many for various reasons. Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks has really evolved as an actor, Brad Pitt despite the pretty boy image is a great actor. And then of course you have your stalwarts like Anthony Hopkins..

20. If you were to take away one thing you've learned from all that you've done so far, how would you describe it for our readers?

At the end of it all it doesn't really matter what you do…it really doesn't…it is the relationships you build!

Ayesha's interview : The saturday Post

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail

"I will never stop anyone from fulfilling his religious duties": Shoaib Malik

At 25, with 18 Test and 137 one-day internationals under his belt, Shoaib Malik is the third youngest captain to lead Pakistan in the team's history. But his selection is not altogether a surprise choice for this sensitive position after the team's controversial stint in the West Indies.

He clearly has a good cricket mind and is very clear on what he wants to do with the team. His biggest asset is that he remains one of Pakistan's most improved players in recent months.

In an interview, Malik spoke of the challenges that lie ahead of him and the tragic death of Bob Woolmer during the World Cup.

Q: Captaining Pakistan has never been an easy job for anyone. Even the most respected and experienced players have faced problems on this front.

A: Captaincy is never easy, no matter which team you lead. You carry the aspirations and hopes of a nation. In addition to this, you have to ensure that not only do you perform individually, but that you get the best out of the other players as well, who are all individuals with different backgrounds and personalities. Cricket, at the end of the day, is all about team work.

I have no grand plans on how I will manage this role. But I have been a regular member of the team for the last five years, and I know every player well. I know each player's likes and dislikes and his professional capabilities. Most importantly, I have always got along well with everyone.

I realize, that as captain, I may, at some stage, have to take some tough decisions. But as long as my conscience is clear and the people and board back me up, I can do it. I am not a weak person and I know that if I keep on performing well, it will become easier for me to get things done my way.

The death of my father last year has also made me a more mature person. With responsibility, one tends to change for the better and have a more positive and mature outlook towards life.

Q: There are a lot of allegations and perhaps misconceptions about the team environment and culture, specifically the talk about Inzamam-ul-Haq making the players ultra-religious and him holding too much power. What is your take on these allegations?

A: As far as religion is concerned, we are all Muslims and we pray five times a day. I will never try to stop anyone from fulfilling his religious duties or beliefs. My main desire is for each player to perform to the best of his capabilities, because that is what he has been selected to do in the national team. Inzamam never forced anyone to say prayers or take part in religious activities; the players who wanted to do it did it as part of their belief. But yes, it is now part of our culture in the team to pray together whenever possible.

After the disappointment of the World Cup, people are trying to find excuses and reasons for the debacle. But people have forgotten that under Inzamam, the team enjoyed a lot of success. If we fared poorly in the World Cup, it was only because we just didn't click and didn't get enough time to regroup. We basically have always been a side that can come back from the dead. But in the World Cup everything happened so quickly that it left everyone shattered. And don't forget, the absence of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif had a big bearing on us. They would have made a big difference to us in both the matches we lost on pitches that assisted the bowlers.

Q: Inzamam says he wants to continue playing Test cricket. As captain, what do you have to say about this?

A: Inzamam is a great player and one of the best batsmen in the world. However, selection of all players will now be gauged on the basis of their form and fitness. But personally, I feel it will be a long time before we can find someone of the calibre of Inzamam.

Q: There is a history of players leading revolts against junior captains. Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram, for example, both faced this situation. Does this bit of history concern you?

A: I really don't know the background of those incidents. But one thing I do know is that there is a lot of unity in this team, and if some senior or junior player has a disagreement with me or with my methods, he can discuss it with me, and we can sort things out. That is the sort of thing that Inzamam and our coach, Bob Woolmer, promoted. So that is not going to change. I always believe that when the lines of communication are open, disagreement and divisive issues do not take permanent root. I am still young, and I will be leaning on the seniors to guide me and back me up.

Q: What are your short- and long-term goals as captain?

A: The board has appointed me till the end of the year, and in this period we have three important assignments. The Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa, the South African Test tour of Pakistan, and then we go to India for a full series in November. My immediate aim is that we do well in these assignments to regain the confidence of the people and put the team back on a winning track. The long-term goal, obviously, is the next World Cup, and I believe we have the talent to create a strong one-day outfit. But I would certainly like to push for more consistency when it comes to the selection of players. We need to find a reliable opening pair immediately.

Q: It is said that you were the blue-eyed boy of Bob Woolmer and he had singled you out as captain material. How much has his death affected you as a person?

A: The entire team is distraught with his death. He was more than our coach. He got along well with everyone and was very friendly and comfortable to work with. When you lose such a person, you feel a big void, and it takes time to fill it. Woolmer helped me and always pushed me to play beyond a point that I never thought I was capable of. I would have loved to work with him as captain. But now we just have to move on, and I am sure we will have a similar relationship with our new coach, whoever he is.

kalli thumbnail
LSA Fashion Nominees 2007!
Date: 2007-06-24

The fashion nominations for the Citigold LUX Style Awards 2007 were announced here on Saturday. The most awaited fashion distinction of the year is finally revealed. The list is not surprising. New talent dominates as is confirmed by the Best Female Model list where the top five are Fayeza Ansari, Mehreen Syed, Neha Ahmed, Sunita Marshal and last year's best model Tooba Siddiqui.

The Male model and Achievement in Fashion Design 10+years list doesn't seems to be undergone much the same as last year with the usual Abdullah Ejaz and Rizwan Beyg nominations. Umar Sayeed is back in contention as is Emaad Irfani for the best male model category. Best Menswear has a new entrant in the shape of HSY, while the most dynamic, unsurprisingly is the Best Emerging Talent category that includes two models (Annie Ali Khan and Nadia Ali), two designers (Maheen Karim and Ismail Farid) and a photographer duo (Maram Abroo). Hair and Makeup is again very predictable with Nabila, Khawar Riaz, Munazza Rizwan, Sabs and Shahzad Raza vying for the top prize while photographers Ather Shahzad, Rizwan Baig of Deevees, exciting new comers Guddu Shani, Khawar Riaz and Shamyl Khuhro all compete for the Best Fashion Photographer segment.

Fashion is what Citigold LUX Style Awards is all about and because of the heavy emphasis on fashion the event is elevated to the status of a style icon. Sweeping gowns and embellished outfits are the order of the day on this, the most glittering red carpet event in the country. Maintaining a fantastic standard, with designers making collections specially designed for the occasion, the LUX Style Award is expected to make each year's showbetter than the last. This year too event director Frieha Altaf and Image consultant Nabila are putting together selections and segments that are expected to wow the exclusive audience that will attend the event and the 30 million viewers on air.

The Design categories are some of the most exciting in this line-up. Maheen's Gulabo, Karma Pink, Samyra Rashid, Sonya Battla and Sublime by Sara Shahid are all in contention for the Pret (ready-to-wear) award. The Couture category award will be a toss up between HSY, Karma, Nomi Ansari, Rouge and Saadia Mirza. The Best Retail Brand, CGLSA's nod to the burgeoning retail category, will be decided amongst aggressive young retailers like ABCD, Crossroads, FNK Asia, Generation and Khaadi.

The Citigold LUX Style Awards 2007 for excellence in cinema, fashion, music and television will be held in Malaysia in July and will be on air on the 24th of August with a simultaneous cast on both PTV and Geo TV

kalli thumbnail
Khuda Ke Liye: Coming Soon
Date: 2007-07-01

The movie revolves around a Pakistani young man (Shaan) who goes to the United States of America for higher education. During his study years, the tragic event of 9/11 takes place where the World Trade Center is turned into dust. In a long array of investigations and arrests, the young man gets arrested by the American authorities; and his younger brother is being motivated by his old friend Shershah Hameed Sheikh on the path of God and to quit all musical activities in favor of the "straight" path. Meanwhile, his uncle (Humayun Kazmi) arrives from UK with his only cousin Mary (Iman Ali) who wanted to marry her non-Muslim boyfriend back in the UK against her family's wishes. He brings her to Pakistan where Shershah tucks them to their village in a tribal area near Afghanistan. There tries to escape but Shershah follows her and brings her back to the village.
The experiences of the young man are shown in this movie. There are plenty of other issues that are highlighted in this film. Iman Ali makes her cinema debut with this film, and enacts the character of a Pakistani-Briton. Austin Sayre also makes her film debut and plays Shaan's wife. The young music prodigy Ahmed Jahanzeb produced the soundtrack for the film. Nice Film
[edit] Synopsis
The film is about the difficult situation in which the Pakistanis in particular and the Muslims in general are caught up since 9/11. There is a war going on between the Fundamentalists and the Liberal Muslims. This situation is creating a drift not only between the Western world and the Muslims, but also within the Muslims. The educated and modern Muslims are in a difficult situation because of their approach towards life and their western attire. They are criticized and harassed by the fundamentalists and on the other hand the Western world sees them as potential suspects of terrorism just because of their Muslim names.
This paradox is resulting in great suffering for a forward looking Muslim.
Above mentioned is the theme of the film "KHUDA KE LIYE" which in English means "IN THE NAME OF GOD".
The interesting thing about the film is how it connects the happenings in the three continents. Unlike the usual Indian and Pakistani films based on romantic saga, dances and songs, this film is based on some very serious issues, raising a lot of controversial questions boggling the Muslim minds these days. It helps the Muslim youth to find a direction— the right direction, which we are all looking forward to.
CREDITS:

Shaan
Fawad khan
Iman Ali
Naseeruddin Shah
Hameed Sheikh
Austin Marie Sayre
Larry Neumann
Rasheed Naz
Naeem Tahir
Seemin Raheel
Humayun kazmi
Najeeb Ullah Anjum
Ayub Khosa
Rufus Graham
Angela Williams
Alex Edwards [[1]] Lead support actor
BackGround Music: Rohail Hayat
VOCALS : AHMAD JAHANZEB,SHUJA HAIDER,FARAH ZALA,AMMAR HASAN KHAWAR JAWAD,FAIZA MUJAHID,SAEEN ZAHOOR,ZARA MADANI
LYRICS : SHOAIB MANSOOR; BULHEY SHAH; FAIZA MUJAHID
Songs COMPOSED BY : AHMAD JAHANZEB,SHUJA HAIDER,LAGAN BAND,KHAWAR JAWAD,JAVED BASHIR
The film is directed by Shoaib Mansoor ,all set to release on july 20th,2007.

kalli thumbnail
Rough cUT - Amir & Hadiqa
Date: 2007-07-01

It could have been anyone's wildest dream project: a nightingale-voiced vocalist from Pakistan teaming up with who is considered to be one of the best guitarists in the region, on a single album. When two exceptionally gifted and well-known individuals work together on a project, expectations tend to run high: the outcome has to be nothing short of pure genius. After all, one plus one equals two, nay in some cases even three, but never zero.

In this case however, it seems as if these two individuals ended up cancelling each other out: the much-awaited Hadiqa Kiani and Aamir Zaki collaborative effort, Rough Cut, is pure genius, but only at putting the listener to sleep. In some cases, forever.

Disappointingly enough, Iss Baar Milo, the song that did end up becoming a massive hit does not make its appearance in the album. Hadiqa has carried the style of singing predominant in Iss Baar Milo, throughout Rough Cut. However, coupled with the change in language and overall content, her style of singing seems highly unsuitable. To top it off, her desi accent manages to creep in here and there in the songs. Altogether her efforts sound extremely amateurish and not something one would expect from someone with more than 10 years of professional singing and extensive exposure to all kinds of music.

It would be unfair to heap the album's lack of impact on Hadiqa alone. With Rough Cut, his first proper recorded piece of work in more than a decade, Aamir Zaki's musical contribution in the album seems minimal, and in some cases, non-existent. This causes one to question why. Is it because he has run out of musical creativity or simply because he is afraid?

When it comes to content, the album deals with a variety of issues ranging from the harsh life in the media, to the monotony that overcomes a person's life to the age-old subject of love and heartbreak. The song, City of Fallen Angels, deals with the violence predominant in Karachi (as the City of Fallen Angels) and it is perhaps the only song in which Aamir Zaki lends his vocals as Mr Undertaker. However, with Hadiqa singing along with him, it becomes difficult to decipher Aamir's voice, since her voice is a little too loud. Thus the only duet in the album ends up as none.

Perhaps another track that needs mention here is Easy Ride. It dominates an unmistakably familiar bass line which die-hard Aamir Zaki fans would recognise since the bass line itself had been released on his website a couple of years ago. One of the better tracks in the album, perhaps also because it doesn't attempt at sounding 'eastern classical rock'. The album, including this song, has an unmistakable early nineties sound to it and might have fared better had it been released when it was initially supposed to.

The flute (courtesy Baqir Abbas) and tabla (Arshad Ali) make their appearance a lot throughout the album. Complete with soft (and safe) guitar strumming and oddly-familiar bass lines, the music in the album ends up in a cacophony of confusion since one cannot tell whether the album is going towards a pop or an eastern pop sound, or is trying to embody an orchestra-oriented sound — a definite confusion of identifies. The album has its share of perks, but they're not strong enough to overshadow what is wrong with it: this collaboration lacks chemistry – at least in English

kalli thumbnail

FAHAD MUSTUFA : REIGNING TV STAR'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

He has arrived!!!

Fortune aids the bold then Fahd Mustufa is definitely a beneficiary. But unlike most wannabees, he has the fortitude to resist the lure of ease and wealth. Fired with enthusiasm and loaded with this endearing quality to make anybody feel like a long lost buddy, he has the ability to take things in his stride once given a chance or on being offered one, and that's certainly a rarity.

There is no such word as compromise in his vocabulary as he believes in quality and doesn't want to be a part of the rat race by luring for the number of rolls under his belt. So to know how his journey has been so far for him in an industry for which his father, and our veteran artiste Salahuddin Tannu, has devoted many precious years of his life, we decided to hold him for a detailed chit chat.

Iqbal Ansari gave him the first break without knowing that he is a star son. He had to sit in a queue waiting for his turn. He, like most of the wannabes, had to appear for an audition and it was only then the debut offer came to his way. "I didn't use my father's name or his contacts to grab my first chance. I just went to Iqbal Ansari ,appeared for an audition, took the script and the next moment I stood right in front of him and started saying my lines," Fahd unfolds the tale of his debut and continues, "working with Iqbal Ansari was not an easy task for me. He literally gave me a real tough time in the serial. I felt as if I was the punching bag of his barbs, insults, witticisms and downright derogation as there was another actor who was not doing a good job but Iqbal sahib was okay with him which really made me feel as if the other actor's share of dejection was coming my way too." But he bore all the blows with indomitable zeal and stoical fortitude and when the serial became a hit, I couldn't stop myself asking Iqbal Bhai that "why was it only me who faced all his anger and rage?" The answer he gave me was something very very big for a newcomer like me," Fahd brims with enthusiasm and continues. He said, "Fahd I was rude to you because I knew you are here to stay, while for the other actor my feelings were not as passionate, as I knew that his heart is not with him and I felt that he is a one time wonder so I didn't say to him anything."

Though the debut experience was tough for Fahd but it really prepared him to get able to fight against overwhelming odds that every newcomer has likely to face. His first serial paved the way for him and serials like "Sheeshay ka mehal", "wajood-e-laraib" and "bhegee pulkain" further honed his latent skills. "In the beginning of my career the people who really came forward and helped me get stable and even compelled others to take me seriously are Maya Khan, Ahsan Talish and Iram Binte Tahir. In fact when you enter to this field you have to encounter numerous challenges at different levels and one of them is when you are not being taken seriously. It really proves an acid test of your patience and the prowess you have to bear rejection and dejection," informs Fahd.

Fahd rates "Sheeshay ka mehal" as the milestone of his career which gave him the boost he really needed to register himself among the masses. It was written by veteran Noor-ul Huda Shah who initially refused to take him in the serial. It was only after the audition that she got a little flexible and acceded to cast him for the role. But she was a little apprehensive in giving him the lines to deliver and in most of the scenes he was there, but without dialogues. So one day Fahd couldn't resist and called her up asking her the reason for being so biased against him. Contrary to his doubts she said that she wanted to see how expressive he could be without lines and appreciated him for doing well.

Today Fahd can be seen playing roles in soaps. But as compared to the soaps which are aired on Star channels, ours do not succeed to register a viewer pull. On being asked Fahd explained, "The kind of concepts we have for the soaps are literally different than what the soaps actually are. They basically refer to day to day life but the approach that we keep in mind while making one is way too different. We normally drag a thirteen episode serial into fifty or a hundred episodes soap in such a way that it loses its substance and impact. Whereas across the border it's so commercial oriented that if you eradicate that from the main story you stand no where. So both the countries are dealing it differently and in both ways they do not qualify to be treated as true soaps."

Fahd believes in the quality and the substance of the roles offered to him. "I believe in performance, these goody goody sitcoms have never been even a target to me and I have never longed to be a part of them. I don't want to put the saddle on the wrong horse in a hurry. Unfortunately, if you appear in such goody goody stuff then nobody takes you seriously, ever. I have been told by some senior to abstain from becoming part of sitcoms in the beginning stage of my career and I feel that it really benefited me. Our masses take those artistes seriously who are really good in performing serious rolls, and today they are treated like institutions," prophesizes Fahd.

It's normally believed that competition is always healthy which plays a significant role in improving quality. But our experience is quite different as with the growing number of channels the quality of drama is following a declining trend. No private production has been able to beat the quality standards that PTV has established. "Not all of the plays of PTV have been that successful," Fahd defends and continues, "but they used to register their impact just because of the fact that PTV has enjoyed a monopolistic status for quite some time. So when you don't have any other thing to watch you have to feast your eyes with what is available. So in those days even an extra working in a play used to be a star as people used to recognize him, but today to make oneself get noticed it is really a matter of inviting all your inputs rightly utilized."So what about our local private channels. Even these are not being watched and the viewership ratio is quite low. Besides, being in competition for so many years, now the quality has not faced a vertical growth. "We stand utterly wide off the mark when it comes to the question of our competition with the satellite channels" Fahd boldly admits, "I feel that we are not even in the competition. The things which we intend to produce today, our neighbor has already made that a decade ago, ------ so what competition are you talking about? I sometimes feel as if in an attempt to copy the satellite channels we have lost not only the meat from the bone but the bone itself. We have a great heritage and I feel if we emphasize on bringing that before viewers by modifying it with the active utilization of present trends of the media, then definitely we can excel. We would have to improve the technical side because with the presently available resources it's as if we intend to dig a well with a needle."

Interview courtesy : social pages

Spot Light Celebrity Snaps

kalli thumbnail
Mustufa Zahid sings in Awarapan!
Date: 2007-07-05

We bring you an exclusive statement written by Pakistani rock sensation, Mustafa Zahid, post the announcement that Mahesh Bhatt's Awarapan will release theatrically in Pakistan, creating a history of sorts.

Previously scheduled to release on July 6, the film, it seems, will now hit screens across Pakistan on July 13, as director Mohit Suri felt that the next week should be used to promote the release aggressively in Pakistan.

The 24-year old Roxen vocalist, Mustafa Zahid, who has rendered the chartbusters To Phir Aao and Tera Mera Rishta in Awarapan, in a statement, said:

"I saw Awarapan on Saturday in Mumbai despite the raging monsoon. Not because I've sung for it, but I honestly believe that it's among the finest movies to come out of Bollywood in recent times. As a citizen of Lahore, I would love to see every Pakistani going out to watch Awarapan in cinemas. I am a Muslim and this movie has portrayed an accurate picture of my community, who believe in one God and also in the fact that if you free someone God comes to you and helps in adversity.

This film is the best answer to give to a section of the Western media who have presented a warped image of the Muslim community. Hats off to the Bhatts, Mohit Suri and the executive producer Sohail Khan who have done a commendable job in getting the film a release in Pakistan, and to Studio 18 for giving Awarapan such a strong overseas release.

We are ready to be the first in Pakistan and I am proud to be a part of Bollywood history in my own little way."

kalli thumbnail
Pakistan fashion week : coming up!
Date: 2007-07-08

London, Paris, New York, Milan and now, it is Lahore." These opening words by Simon P. Lock at the media launch of the Pakistan Fashion Week, not only proclaimed the start of the four-month journey towards Pakistan's first-ever Fashion Week to be held in November, but also marked the beginning of a new epoch in the annals of Pakistan's fashion tradition.

But though the CEO, IMG Fashion and Models Asia Pacific, was listing the world's leading style capitals in his opening remarks to declare how the forthcoming Pakistan Fashion Week could render Lahore to join the ranks of these fashion hubs, his words set the ground for some thinking.

Perhaps, it would be befitting to ask ourselves, at this point, how we plan to attend to the challenge of striking a legitimate balance between the projection of representatively indigenous fashion crafted in the hues of our culture (so that it identifies as Pakistani) and the influence of western styling (on an already westernised fashion industry), the latter inevitably becoming an overt part of an international event being managed by international consultants and targeting an international audience. Stylist Nabila reflects on this concern by asserting, "I will support any cause that puts eastern sensibility into western silhouettes."

The international fashion week circuit is the foundation of global business enterprise for ready-to-wear fashion designers. Twice a year, the world's leading fashion buyers from big departmental stores and fashion boutiques, along with the fashion media, travel the circuit to preview the new collections of the world's leading designers

The media launch of the Pakistan Fashion Week, held in Lahore at the Royal Palm Golf Club last week, was expected to be a bigger affair, in terms of celebrity turn-over, at least, and with a number of Karachiites present among the organisers and guests, I repeatedly came across comments such as one given by Zeenat Saeed of Taneez. "The guest turn-over would have been much higher at an event like this, if held in Karachi." Lahore, it appears, was chosen as the appropriate venue for the mega event more out of reasons of security than any other, though the International Management Group (IMG) chiefs also feel that Lahore holds a kind of mystique for the world audiences that is easier to capitalise on, and therefore, the city will give an advantage to the event.

A number of famous faces from the fashion world made their absence felt at the media launch of the PFW and one of the reasons for their lack of presence could be that most of them are usually vacationing abroad around this time of the year. Among those who graced the Red Carpet at The Dome were HSY, Nabila, Maria B, Frieha Altaf, Aaminah Haq, Vinnie, Ather Shahzad, and film stars Reema and Meera, besides a few others. Some private television channels had set their booths at The Dome, and the fashionistas were asked in turn to give their views on air about the idea of an international fashion week in Pakistan and their expectations from the event.

Speaking to Images, Aaminah Haq said that the PFW would not only revolutionise the Pakistani fashion collection but will also help set standards in related fields of modeling, choreography, make-up artistry, back-stage management and so forth. "Finally, if we want to present the business of our fashion to the world we must focus on prt rather than couture alone," she added.

Fashion weeks the world over, are more about off-the-rack than couture collections, and the PFW pursues to be no different. To be held from November 5 to 8 at the Royal Palm Golf and Country Club, the PFW, co-organised by Geo Television Network, Jang Group and Events Unlimited, with IMG as consultants, will seek to cater to international buyers, global industry players and fashionistas from all over the world. The event will showcase some of the best local designers to international buyers and industry insiders. "We will represent the business of fashion to the world by inviting buyers from across the globe," observed Imran Aslam. "Our focus will be on giving a strong boost to the export of our ready-to-wear items, which will be a challenge, as Pakistan is known mostly for its couture abroad and the potential of R2W export-oriented industry has never been tapped from a platform like the PFW."

The 4-day event will present spring/summer ready-to-wear collections for 2008. PFW would be categorised into collection shows, comprising individual, as well as, group shows, designer suites and exclusive exhibitions at The Source, which will be an industry-based exhibition forum at the PFW. The Source aims at exhibiting the wonders of our accessory designer industry, especially designer jewellery, bags, shoes, lingerie, leather goods, sportswear and textiles. Designer suites will provide exclusive exhibition booths to designers excelling in ready-to-wear collection. Frieha Altaf, who will be doing the choreography and the after-party management of the event, expressed extreme enthusiasm about the fashion week, adding that she was "thrilled to bits, as this type of an event was long overdue."

The international fashion week circuit is the foundation of global business enterprise for ready-to-wear fashion designers. Twice a year, the world's leading fashion buyers from big departmental stores and fashion boutiques, along with the fashion media, travel the circuit to preview the new collections of the world's leading designers.

When asked about the criterion for selection of designers for the PFW, it was learnt that there would be over 30 designers from across the country participating in about 20 shows, while those desirous of participation would have to go through a series of selection assessments for which a selection panel has already been established.

The National Selection Panel comprises stylist Nabila, Muniba Kamal of Instep, Sabene Saigol of Libas International, Tapu Javeri, Shamaeel, Asim Naeem of Pakistan School of Fashion Design (PSFD), Azfar Hassan of Matrix Sourcing and Jodi Pritchard of IMG Fashion. An advisory board has also been made to look into the various affairs of the PFW. Imran Aslam, Simon P. Lock, Maheen Khan, Sehyr Saigol, Sonya Battla, Nabila, Muniba Kamal, Zahir Rahimtoola, Asim Qureshi and Tahseen Shaukat constitute the advisory board of the PFW. In the words of Asim Naeem, a PSFD faculty member, "Finally, fashion is becoming an industry, rather than entertainment, in Pakistan."

While talking to us, IMG chief executive Simon Lock also disclosed that in order to ensure that the eyes of the fashion world are focused on Lahore this November, an exclusive time slot for PFW has been chosen that does not coincide with any fashion weeks anywhere around the world. "PFW will be positioned on the international fashion week circuit following the end of all European shows. Buyers and media will be given enough time following the conclusion of the last European fashion week to be held in Paris in mid-October, so that they can finalise their business before considering travelling to Pakistan."

As an added gesture of reassurance and to give extra mileage to PFW, IMG plans to have a snippet on Pakistani fashion at the Lakme Fashion Week to be organised by IMG in India a month prior to PFW. "The Pakistani segment at Lakme will act as a promo for the November mega event," he observed.

Commenting on the significance of the PFW in terms of the local film industry, Meera said that an overall boost to the fashion industry would help elevate standards in films, as more decent and well-designed costumes will make way onto the silver screen, while Reema revealed that she is already getting the costumes of her underway film designed by HSY, Karma and Nomi Ansari, claiming that she has pioneered the trend of employing designer outfits in films. Reema emphasised the need for improving the quality and designing of costumes and the standard of make-up techniques used in our films.