Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Delhi, India: Lyla and Zulfiqar Gardezi hosted a dinner for the diplomat community in Delhi and for actress Sonya Jahan.

Sonya Jahan with host Lyla Gardezi
Shameen (Bangladesh DCM wife), Atul keshap (US Embassy-political counsellor), John Wecals (Canadian Embassy)
Host Zulfiqar Gardezi with Samee Saleem (DCM-Egyptian Embassy), Atul, Li Yia(3rd Sec. Chinese Embassy), Phin Goodwin of BBC.
Zulfiwar, M.Ozgin Arman(DCM, Turkish Embassy), Afrasiab (DHC, Pakistan High Commission)
Martin Vickerman (2nd Secty, British High Commission) and Sonya Jahan(model/actress)
Samee Saleem, Pran Nevil (India International Center), Zulfiwar Rehman (DHC, Bangladesh High Commission)
Phillip Reeves (Political Counsellor,British High Commission), Ozgin Arman
Sum Weidong (Political Counsellor Chinese Embassy) and Mr.Shirvanna
Michele Wecels (CanadianEmbassy) and Pran
Allison Giles British High Comission,Michele Canadian High Commission, fareeda, Zahra and lyla
Zahra,Fareeda, Lyla, Sonya, Allison, Asiya
Ajay (NDTV) and Mohammad Iqbal, (Defence Attache Pakistan High Commission)

Edited by Fiza_87 - 17 years ago
*Fiza* thumbnail
Sajid and Zeeshan

There are many unusual things about this duo to whom we are introducing you this week. Sajid and Zeeshan are one of the few, if not the only, purely English music bands in Pakistan. They are from Peshawar, which (being in the NWFP) is not a hot bed of any cultural activity which defies fundamentalist views of Islam, including music. Sajid is a fully trained and highly educated lawyer, who is teaching law at Peshawar University. Together, they are being dubbed as "Ambassadors of the Peshawar Pukhtoons" for breaking the mould and stepping out with their musical act at a national level.

Their music and lyrics are really interesting, with a style and quality that's quite non-denominational compared to what you might expect when first clicking "play". They are fast catching on the local scene in terms of popularity and listening to their songs, it seems like a matter of time before they will reach far on the international music scene, if they continue making music as determinedly, backed with the right kind of marketing and exposure.

Here's what Sajid and Zeeshan shared with us in an exclusive Rendezvous...

1. How would you introduce yourself to our readers?

Sajid: My full name is Sajid Ali Ghafoor; I was born and raised in Peshawar, Pakistan. I teach law at the Peshawar University as an Assistant Professor and am a musician. I need to work to make a living but then I need to do music to actually live. All my life, music has been my only escape rout, be it listening to it or actually creating it. I did my LL.B from Peshawar University, my LL.M from Hull University, UK and a diploma course on Environmental law from Oslo University, Norway. As for music, I sing and play guitars, plus I write songs and compose music. But I went through it the hard way. I never received any training of any sort. Everything was trial and error and I still enjoy the process.

Zeeshan: I call myself an electronic musician, which means I am a person who has rock roots from the 80's but somewhere in the middle decided to change style because he got introduced to the world of synthesizers :) I've been producing electronic music for a couple of years now. I have my own private post production / audio recording facility. During the same time, I started directing music videos for different artists (both mainstream and underground) and for us as well. After three videos, one being officially labeled as Pakistan's first full length hand sketched animated video, I produced our debut album "One Light Year at Snail Speed" which got released through EMI Pakistan.

2. How did you two get together to make music and what can you tell us about the group 'Still'?

Sajid: "Still" was an underground band which I started with the help of my brother and some friends. We were all into music and knew of each others taste and so it was a lot easier to feel comfortable that way. Sarmad (my brother) was on the lead guitars, Tamreez was on the drums, Ziyad was on the bass and I was on the rhythm guitars and vocals. Zeeshan joined the band when "Still" was nearing its end and so we didn't get an opportunity to play that many gigs with him. Ziyad left for UK for higher studies, Tamreez joined UNHCR and left for Congo, Sarmad moved to Islamabad and started off with his own recording studio and I stayed back in Peshawar. However after a few years, somewhere in 1999, Zeeshan and I got together and just started talking about music in general, we found out very soon that we appreciated each other musical tastes and were interested in doing more music. We got together and decided to record a track. And so the first track we recorded was "King of Self" from our debut album "One light year at snail speed". One thing led to another and we came up with a video for it and released it nationally. Fortunately people appreciated the song and so that's where it all started. We thought why not keep recording and just make an album and so we went on with the same routine, recorded more tracks and made a few more videos and then finally released our album in August 2006.

Zeeshan: I got to meet Sajid back in 1999 because he wanted me to play keyboards for his band "Still" for a couple of concerts in Peshawar. After a few years (2003) we decided we should do something together and fuse our music together to make a new sound, because Sajid had his own style of playing with the guitars and a unique way of singing probably because the genre he wanted to work in was alternative or soft rock. We jammed together for sometime and after producing some instrumentals, "King of Self" was formed in a matter of 45 minutes.

3. You have been part of the underground music scene for a while, what exactly is it and what kind of exposure did you get from it?

Sajid: The underground scene was literally underground. We used to jam in our basement and mostly played for the foreign community as our songs were in English and so they could relate to it more. We didn't get much exposure from doing that, though on a musical level we did learn more and enjoyed every bit of it

Zeeshan: Since Sajid and Zeeshan came out with the single "King of Self", we've been busy doing concerts in different parts of the country, busy making videos, doing TV, radio and print interviews. We got good exposure, Thank God, from loads of people who liked our song. I think being from a place like Peshawar also added to the hype as well, because in those days, nobody could fathom it would be possible. So I'm happy to say that we kind of broke that barrier and started being labeled as "ambassadors of Peshawar Pukhtoons" - I always get a laugh when I hear this. The other reason why I think the general perception about us was good was that we received almost no criticism about us being an English act, because people here generally do tend to pinpoint mistakes and become extremely critical about desi people making English tracks. To sum it up, the overall exposure has been brilliant Masha Allah.

4. You guys are from Peshawar, NWFP (the province least associated with music!). What kind of reaction did you get from there? Did you face any opposition?

Sajid: We cannot put aside the present political scenario as a factor for making music less popular in this province. Having said that, under the present circumstances I believe the reaction from the English music listeners wasn't that bad at all. Though from a perspective of playing live gigs, we surely are suffering here. We still haven't played in Peshawar as "Sajid and Zeeshan" though I do hope we manage to do that soon.

Zeeshan: Actually, we were praised by countless people for our efforts, which is a good thing. We didn't face any opposition as such but I would like to take this space to point out a sad fact that still we are not allowed to play gigs here in Peshawar, that's something which we've been dying to do for our hometown. But I'm happy that the young crowd recognizes us for doing something for Peshawar

5. What is your music about? Where do you get your inspiration from?

Sajid: I write songs about things which makes up the person, like happiness, fear, guilt, satisfaction, courage, basically things that we all relate to since we need it all to live through this life. And of course my inspiration is life itself. All that it offers and all that we expect of it. It's a broad subject but then it covers everything and gives me enough room to write without limiting myself.

Zeeshan: I'm not a "lyrics" person so I will definitely shape my sounds to fit in the mood or feeling I would want to express. These feelings have to do a lot with life and how I see things around me, or at times, they are based upon things experienced before. I get my inspiration from everything that comes in our environment, the elements and the miracles of nature that most of us ignore. I get fascinated by the simplest of things.

6. Do you write your own music and lyrics or do you have a team that puts it all together for you?

Sajid: The only team we have is Zeeshan and myself. I write the songs, make the vocal melodies and compose the music and then Zeeshan plays his part by doing the arrangements, recording and production.

Zeeshan: Sajid writes the lyrics and basic melodies for all the tracks. I further produce the data that comes from him and add my bits into it that include arranging and instrumentation (bass, beats, soundscapes and textures, experimentation with all sorts of effects, guitar treatments and overall mixing and mastering that is done at my setup).

7. What kind of music can we expect in the future? Any plans to release Urdu songs?

Sajid: We plan to do another English Album. Though I have recorded some Urdu tracks but don't plan to release it as yet. Might work on an Urdu album in future but not anytime soon

Zeeshan: We do, however, have a track in Pushto that we're just about to release in a few weeks time alongside a video. Besides that, we've started work on our 2nd album and I'm pretty hopeful that we'll be able to complete it by the end of this year. There will always be videos to our singles as well.

8. What is the future of Pakistani music in your opinion?

Sajid: From a listener's point of view, the future is always bright provided the circumstances are always music friendly.

Zeeshan: The future of Pakistani music, in my opinion, seems quite unpredictable. There's a lot of work going on, but most of it that comes out is formulated. There is good music as well, but most of them generally end up sounding the same. The level of experimentation in the industry is quite low and changes seldom appear. We, as Pakistani artists, have responsibilities to come up with new sorts of dimensions to work on and material that is a complete U turn from past offerings.

9. Being educated individuals, do you feel you can make a difference and take Pakistani pop music to the next level?

Sajid: I sure hope we can do that and if not at least we'll still be happy because we tried.

Zeeshan: I really cant say at this point whether we'll be able to make a difference in the future because practically speaking, our listenership is not as strong as the ones who've been making traditional Urdu tracks with twists. Those guys have huge audiences and I don't think we'll ever have those. The only difference that I think we've made so far is that we've motivated a lot of young people to take up singing in English and we continue to do that. I would very much like our songs to be part of something that gives back to the society in anyway possible.

10. Tell us about the copyright laws of Pakistan, is anything being done about the piracy situation?

Sajid: Yes we do have Copy Right Laws in Pakistan, so theoretically speaking, yes there is something being done on that front, though practically speaking a lot still needs to be done. It isn't easy to change a system that easily, it surely will take time; it's a major problem in this part of the world

Zeeshan: We are signed artists of EMI Pakistan, a sound and legit company that does not deal with the pirates in the country, but still because of Piracy, there was no control over distribution as such. It's planted its roots so deep in the system that it's going to take ages to get rid of it. We were informed a year back that piracy laws will be implemented somewhere this year. But to be honest, I don't see that happening even next year. There is foreign pressure on companies, like the one we've signed up with, to correct this, but there are many who believe that maybe this is the best system for Pakistan. You will REALLY need a team as big as the national assembly to enforce piracy laws and to make sure they get enforced properly.

*Fiza* thumbnail
The Mekaal Hasan band is set to release a first ever full concert DVD. Titled Live at the Bahria Auditorium and courtesy ARY, the DVD depicts their older style of performing. According to Mekaal Hasan Band, the performance in the DVD is from 2005 and there have been slight changes in the line-up since then.

Another upcoming release from the band would be a video directed by Peshawar-based director, Zeeshan Parwez, on the MHB song, Hunsdun. According to Zeeeshan, the bits where the band makes an appearance were shot in Lahore last year. The concept of the video is focused around the Aghan refugees settled in the Northern Areas and their official repatriation which was supposed to have taken place sometime in 2005.

Shot in the tribal areas in the Khyber Agency with some of the footage from Bajaur, the video focuses around three Afghan friends who embark on their journey home. Coming up with the concept himself, Zeeshan says that the footage is very happy-go-lucky and goes with the overall theme of the song. The video is expected to be released on the airwaves shortly.
*Fiza* thumbnail
Najia
One of the top novelists of the country who has written more than 50 novels -- of which six or seven have been adapted into movies, and more recently her novel Najia has been turned into a television serial for a private channel – and 350 essays compiled in books, Razia Butt surprisingly says that she is no longer interested in reading.

Although the primary reason for this change is that her eyesight doesn't permit her to read, the fact is that the fast growing electronic media has unobtrusively replaced the position that books used to occupy in her life. Says she, "Media has made it easy for me now, with its numerous shows on culture and literature, to get my dose of knowledge without reading."

However, Butt recalls that in her student days she used to read a lot and had read all the famous writers of the time including Manto, Rajinder Singh Bedi, Sallahuddin, Ismat Chugtai and her brother Azeem Baig Chugtai – although she would have to hide and read in those days as it was a frowned-upon activity for young girls to indulge in. She used to even read the translations of Persian novels. But, English books and for that matter poems in any language, never held any interest for her. Fond of autobiographies, though, Butt says that they were a source of inspiration for her, and together with her father's encouragement, she was motivated to take up writing.

Butt recalls proudly that she was in the fifth grade when her teacher read out one of her essays in class. In the tenth grade she secured cent per cent results in Urdu and remembers her principal, an English woman, hurling her exam paper at her teacher with the remark that it is impossible to secure hundred per cent in a language paper. She says with a noticeable tinge of pride, "My teacher responded that if it was possible to give me 150 out of 100, she would have done so!"

It was way back in the early forties that Butt had written an essay called Lazish, the plot of which she later used for a novel called Naila, which was also made into a Pakistani film that became a hit. Although her Urdu writing skills was undoubtedly impressive even in her student days, Butt admits that often she would not be able to understand the books she would read, and used to read with her older sister so as to be able to comprehend them better. When asked to name one favourite writer though, Butt says that all the Urdu writers of the time were very good.

Yet another surprise came in the form of a confession from Butt that she has not only always loved listening to music, she used to also sing during her student days.

Says she, "I never learnt music formally, but was always into it. When radio started in the forties, I was totally hooked to it and would listen for hours on end to the likes of Shamshad Begum, Iqbal Bano, Fareeda Khanum, Noor Jehan, Mohammed Rafi, Ghulam Ali, Asad Amanat Ali and Mehdi Hassan."

Butt says she enjoys tragic songs, be they in the form of local ghazals or Indian film ditties, and regardless of whether they are sung by known or unknown artists. She states, "I tape all my favourite songs and like to listen to them when I am alone, generally at night. I also love qawwalis, and am especially fond of Nusrat Fateh Ali."

However, it is about Noor Jehan that Butt raves the most. Says she, "Never again will a Noor Jehan be born – all her songs were great, whether they were war songs, ghazals or geets. She had a God-gifted voice and I love to listen to it in silence."

As for movies, Butt says she has seen many earlier, but over the years has stopped going to the cinema, and doesn't watch movies on TV either. She explains "There are so many people in the house and each wants to watch a different channel, so I don't get the opportunity to watch movies on TV. However, whenever possible, I do watch National Geographic channel as I am very fond of that, and if I get the time and the chance, I watch a play occasionally. As for going to the cinema, I think the last movie I saw in a cinema hall was Shabbo based on my novel, made 15 years ago. I used to once enjoy movies featuring my favourite couples -- Waheed Murad and Zeba, Sabiha and Santosh, and Mohammed Ali and Shamim Ara. I remember Aag was an enjoyable film too. I am not into Indian movies, though."

Speaking about the movies that were made based on her novels, Butt says that she was the most thrilled with Naila and Saiqa, both of which adhered strictly to the novel and became super-duper hits. Although she says she liked Shabbo too, she was not happy with the ending. As for Aneela, also based on her book, it deviated so much from the original story that the film bombed at the box office. Butt is now waiting to see how the serial Najia, based on her novel, turns out. Says she, "It is essential that gripping plays based on good novels be made, so that people are encouraged to read once again. Cinema-going has become practically non-existent in Pakistan and it is television that is a more effective medium. So we should make the most of it by presenting good plays on TV."
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

SONIA NARAIN :MADAM NOOR JEHAN'S GRAND DAUGHER'S FRESH EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

She speaks!

Sonia Jehan.Does that name strike a chord? The ethereal beauty from our Pakistan,but made her debut in Hindi films with Akbar Khan's Taj Mahal . Post the release of the film, she married an Indian Vivek Narain and settled in India. She is now playing an actress from the 1940s on the lines of Madhubala and Nutan in Sudhir Mishra's Khoya Khoya Chand.

This granddaughter of the legendary singer Noor Jehan had an interview with us, about life after Taj Mahal, life after marriage, Pakistani film industry, her stint with singing and a lot more.

sO Lets start the interview:

Your debut film Taj Mahal didn't do well. Do you think it was a right debut for you?
I think the role that was offered to me was fabulous. I was playing the role of Mumtaz, it was a historical role and I love history. Unfortunately the marketing wasn't very good but its okay I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

What kind of response did get you after the release of Taj Mahal? Did you get more movie offers?
I got a lot of offers after the film was released. But I live in Delhi and for me to do another project; I wanted it to be a very interesting and different role. The roles that I was being offered were the ones were I was needed to play the European girl. I wanted to do something different.

Why did it take you so long to do your second film? Where have you been all this while?
I have been in Delhi, I am married. I got married while I was shooting for Taj Mahal to someone who I was dating. I have been married for three years. My husband is very encouraging and he actually thinks that I should do more films. But after Taj Mahal which took very long, I just wanted to wait and do something totally different. Taj Mahal was a big budget film, it was a historical film and for a debut it was very taxing in the sense there was a lot of hard work. We were shooting in Jodhpur so I was away for a very long time and I just wanted to comeback, settle properly and set my home and everything in order.

I was getting roles which were interesting but not something that would make me jump out of my seat. So when I got an offer from Sudhir Mishra, as it is I admire his work a lot, I was very keen on playing the role of Ratan Bala.

For a debut, Taj Mahal was very taxing in the sense there was a lot of hard work.

How did Khoya Khoya Chand happen?

I was approached by the casting director, Shanu. She told me about the script and was honest enough to tell me that it wasn't a lead role. But I don't have an issue with lead or supporting roles. For me it has to be something challenging, different from what I have done before, a new character altogether. I was interested so I went to Mumbai. This was the first time that I auditioned for a film after Taj Mahal . Sudhir thought that I was right for the role of Ratan Bala and we started shooting in October.

Ratan Bala is a unique name. Tell us more about her
My name in the film is Ratan Bala. She's a movie star of 1940s, an established actress who is very well known. She's a bit of a diva. And it's the struggle that she goes through to remain in the industry, because in those days after hitting mid 20s you were considered to be old and you would have to settle down, you couldn't be part of the industry. That's what the industry was all about.

It's about how she struggles to remain there, to be famous, to be loved and to be admired. It's quite an interesting and complex character, because you see her in the beginning as someone who's a diva who throws tantrums. Then you see a soft side of her of someone who wants to be loved and cared truly. It was quite interesting to play this role.

Do you think there is a real side to her character?

I think that's something that most actress experience when they are someone famous in the industry to someone who's not given the same importance as they were at the peak of their career. It's always something difficult, you age and you have to age gracefully. And that's the whole challenge to be able to do it gracefully; a lot of people find it difficult to do so. They always want to remain at the top.

One should age gracefully. A lot of people find it difficult to do so. They always want to remain at the top.

What interested you to go for this?

Firstly I wanted to work with Sudhir Mishra. Secondly the character was different from the one that I had played. Mumtaz was from the royal family and it was a very historical role. This is also a period film, it's about the 1950s and it's about the Bollywood industry but its closer to our time. The main reason was because my grandmother Noor Jehan used to be part of the industry before partition. I have lived with her as a child and I always dreamt that I would be able to be like her. So for me it was exploring what life was for her and how the industry was in those days. That's what interested me.

Taj Mahal was a historical, and Khoya Khoya also has a period setting. Do you think you were offered this character because of your first film?

No, I don't think so because I was also offered films based on modern times. I don't think there's a stereotype for me but I was really keen on doing this. More so to experience what the industry was all about during the 1940s.

How was it working with Sudhir Mishra?

Brilliant! He spent a lot of time with the actors. He is so enthusiastic and passionate about the script and each and every character. He really explains and takes you through the whole scene. He also lets you try out different things and is very open to discussing scenes and having discussions. That was very nice.

Who are you paired opposite in the film?

The lead is Soha Ali Khan and Shiney Ahuja. It's the Bollywood industry so everyone is interrelated but it's a love story between Soha and Shiney and it's the struggle that I am going through to be recognized in the industry. So I am trying to take Soha's place. She is playing this young starlet. It's an insight to what the industry is all about. There's a movie being shot within the movie, so there are some scenes in black and white. There's a lot of treatment. It's very different to what people have seen in Indian cinema.

The film is set in 1940s, is your character based on a real personality?

When I had to do some research on this, I had to see the work of Nargis and Madhubala. Those are the main characters which Sudhir wanted me to look into and study. The characters are inspired by certain actors but they are all fictional. Like my character Ratan Bala is inspired by different actors of that time.

So your character is not based on a real actor of the 1940s?

No I don't think so. I am just playing a diva of that time so it could be anybody from Madhubala or Nargis, anyone.

What kind of roles would you like to play in future?

I like strong characters, Mumtaz was a strong character, Ratan Bala is a strong character. Ratan Bala is a very job oriented woman. I tend to go for women who have strong personalities. In the future I wouldn't mind going may be for a horror or an action packed film, just to get a feel of something which I am not.

You are granddaughter of the legendary singer Noor Jehan. Didn't you ever get attracted towards singing like your grandmother?

I do sing, I sang as a child. I called my grandmother dadu. When I was living with her in Lahore she used to do her riyaz every morning. I used to sit with her and babaji who was our trainer.

So you learnt it professionally?

I studied singing for three years. She (Noorjahan) was very keen that I pursue it because she thought that I was the only person in the family who had her voice. Why didn't I pursue….I don't know. I personally feel that when you are a child, you don't think of your future seriously. You are more carefree, you want to play with your friends and have other interests. Unfortunately I didn't take it seriously. I wish I had. As a hobby I would still sing but not professionally.

How good a singer are you?

I am not bad but I need a lot of training.

Where did you spend your childhood?

Partly in France, Pakistan and partly in London.

So what attracted you to India?

I never planned to come to India. I was offered Taj Mahal , I came for the audition and I got the role. I stayed back as I was already dating someone in India.

I met my husband in London when I was in college. I keep joking that I have done a peace process between India and Pakistan. He is into finance, a different world altogether. I am the arty person in the family and he is the financial banker type. It is great fun because we travel a lot. He travels for his work and I travel for mine. When we come back, we have a lot to talk about. We learn a lot from each other. There's no time for boredom.

Actresses hardly talk about their marriage…
I am happily married and I have no issues admitting it. I was told by a lot of people in the industry to not mention about my marriage. I don't understand why marriage is considered such a taboo in the industry… I don't see why being married would affect me as an actor. I mean my work is my work and my personal life is my personal life. I prefer not to talk about it in depth, but yes I am married and I do work whenever it comes my way.

What is your last name after marriage?

Narain. I use it in my everyday life. If I am going to buy groceries then I am Sonia Narain. But if I am doing a film then I am Sonia Jehan. I am a normal human being. I go to the dry cleaners, go to the market, I do everything.

That comes from the fact that I was brought up by my grandmother who was a diva. People were in awe of her, and they were so star-struck. But behind closed doors I know what she was all about; she was a very normal person. During summer time we would eat mangoes in the afternoon sitting on the floor.

And when somebody came to meet her she would be putting on make-up because she was a diva, and I would wonder what happened to dadu , where has she gone.

You have done modeling in Pakistan. Why didn't you try for films there?

I think you might know that the film industry in Pakistan is not at all advanced like in India. If I am here, why would I want to do something which is not as good? The Bollywood industry is great, it's huge. I can't see my self living in Lahore being part of that fraternity, being part of Lollywood.

I can't see my self living in Lahore being part of Lollywood. The film industry in Pakistan is not at all advanced like in India.

What is your personal view about Pakistani Film Industry? Can you compare Bollywood with it?

No, you can't. It's not at all a good industry. I personally don't admire their work or their ethics.

Are they unprofessional?

They are very talented people and extremely gifted. There are good singers and directors. In Pakistan there's no lack of talent but unfortunately I think the industry is not developed. People don't take theatre and dance very seriously there. There's never been much enhancement.

Equipment is very old, studios run down. There's no maintenance. I am very upset because I have a lot of friends who are part of the industry over there, and it's very frustrating because they are very talented people but it doesn't show, because of the quality of the film. The camera is bad you don't feel like watching the film.

Any offers from Pakistan?

A lot of offers, but I live in India and I want to concentrate here whether its films or its textiles, or whatever it may be. My life is here and I am settled here with my family.

So are you happy?

I am always happy. I am happy where I am. I am happy doing one film and if I don't do any more film I will still be happy that I have had an experience of working in this industry which many people don't have. I am open to anything as long as it's creative and it satisfies. Every night I go to sleep with a smile on my face which means I am happy.

Will you work in offbeat cinema?

Offbeat is a very irrelevant term. I can name directors who I would like to work with, Deepa Mehta and Mira Nair. I wanted to work with Sudhir and I am really happy I could. I like directors who give out a message in every film that they make. Artistic element is in my blood. I enjoy that.

Any Hollywood offers?

No..no.

I don't have this crave to become famous or rich. I am a simple girl at heart, very gharelu types.

Any more films you are working on?

I haven't signed any other film. I am waiting for this one to come out and see the response and check if people appreciate my work. I don't have this crave to become famous or rich. I am a simple girl at heart, very gharelu types. And unfortunately so, much to my mother's dismay, who wishes that I were more ambitious since I am in Bombay and would do more films as she thinks that I am very talented. Maybe she is right but I have made a choice in my life.

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
LUX STYLE AWARDS 2007 SOON!

Date: 2007-06-03

This year's Lux Style Awards will mark six full years since the awards first came to be. And for the final bang, LSA 2007 will be hosted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This was announced last week at a press conference in Karachi attended by the likes of Reema, Nirma, Humayun Saeed, Saqib Malik, Ali Zafar, Shakeel and others related to fashion, music and television. More on the ceremony is that it will take place on July 20 at the Genting Highlands.

It wouldn't come as a surprise to say here that the LSA hasn't been an easy ride. In fact, for one of the first entertainment-related award functions to establish themselves in the new media boom, they have certainly come under a lot of scrutiny. And have suffered the most critique.

It's also no secret that most people within and outside the showbiz industry believe that the awards ceremony is ruled by a lobby. In order to be considered truly transparent, the LSA will have to take drastic measures, especially where their judging policies are concerned
Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
*Fiza* thumbnail
The next big thing

By Fouzia Mapara

One look at her and you think 'what a pretty girl'. While make-up for her may be a necessity for the camera, in reality it does for her what artificial food color does to fresh orange juice.

When you talk to her, you inevitably come up with the terribly clichd 'beauty with brains', but somehow it undermines the person that she is. So let us start all over again. Mahira Khan is a VJ on MTV Pakistan and she is one of the most unpretentiously refreshing faces around in showbiz currently. But it is her inspiring personality that instantly reassures you that this pretty representative of the much-maligned MTV generation has an intelligent head on her shoulders and her feet firmly planted on the ground.

Mahira hosts a live show called Most Wanted three days a week and unlike most people in showbiz, she loves going live. "It's the best part of the show for me. I cannot perform without it being live. It goes out to thousands of people and I like the fact that whatever is going out is said and done at that point in time, I can't re-do it. I think I am the only VJ who loves live TV. There is a lot of enthusiasm that goes into it than in a recorded show."

Mahira says she didn't plan on becoming a VJ, as according to her, "Last summer, I was studying in Los Angeles and when I came to Pakistan, I went to the Indus TV Network for an internship in marketing. The day I arrived, two of their old VJs had left so everyone was in a state of panic. Ghazanfar Saheb looked at me and said 'you are going to do it'. I tried to get out of it but he insisted and I got the show."
"Mostly people calling up are young, so I get to know what they are thinking about. Usually, I tell them what I think about the subject that is under discussion. It could be anything. We've talked about values, responsibilities and a variety of issues to do with youth," says MTV VJ Mahira Khan

When I ask her about her strengths as a VJ, Mahira says she doesn't really know so much about it "but I could tell you about my weakness, the biggest being that I can't lie on television. I can lie about little things and make up a story or something but I am a bad actress. Whatever I feel, I tend to show on camera. I can be funny and do different expressions but whatever I am feeling is what shows on screen. If I feel horrible about something or terribly low, then I always read something funny before I go on air or sit around someone at work, especially Dino because I know he will make me laugh," she says.

MTV was launched in Pakistan as a 24-hour TV channel with an ambition to reflect the tastes and interests of the youth through a combination of Pakistani and international music videos. Are the skeptics impressed? "I would definitely like to believe that MTV is watched more than the competition. I really don't look at competition because no other channel does a live show like mine," she says. "Moreover, MTV has a cutting edge over the competition because our ideas are out of the box."

Talking about VJs, Mahira says, "If I was to look at MTV around the world or any other channel for that matter, VJs are around for a few years. Take Cyrus for instance in MTV India, he was a VJ when I was a kid and now I could have kids and he would still be a VJ! This is actually dictated by viewership. People still want to see the VJs who have been around for some time. People love it when I have Dino or Anoushey on the show, they are still very popular."

One wonders whether Pakistani youth is receptive to MTV Pakistan, or is it adding to their confused identity? I ask Mahira to elaborate. "MTV is a youth channel and that does not need to be spelt out. We are the MTV generation. We can't be like MTV in America because we don't live in America. We can't be MTV India because we don't live in India; we can only be MTV Pakistan because we live in Pakistan. For instance, Anoushey, Faizan and me, we all come from very different backgrounds but we are all the youth and bring in variety. There is a person who will speak thorough English, someone else will speak in Urdu while a third type will speak a mix and that is what the youth today is all about.

"We completely represent the youth of Pakistan. The kids who call up on the shows or send emails are always in their own way telling us to be proud of being Pakistani. A VJ once spoke something that was similar to some Hindi word and this person called and insisted that we should stay away from Hindi, and just speak Urdu and be Pakistani. The average viewer is so intelligent these days that you cannot con them into anything."

Mahira believes that being a VJ on a show has its own share of social responsibility. "My show is topic-based. Out of three days a week I can have two days of light chit chat on just anything that drives a conversation, but for one day we can have a bit of a serious discussion. Mostly people calling up are young, so I get to know what they are thinking. Usually, in the end, I tell them what I think about the subject that is under discussion. It could be just anything. We've talked about values, responsibilities and a variety of issues to do with youth."Mahira defends the youth and their dilemma of battling with cultural values on the one hand and exposure to the conflicting western ideology through media on the other. "The youth is definitely stuck at some sort of cultural crossroads. I feel they are a little confused but should they not be? This country is only 57 years old and this is like a middle-age crises which will pass," she says.

When it comes to working, she says that "I have been working since I was 16, and this is my sixth job. I have lived abroad and I have experienced a little bit more independence than other girls my age over here, just a little bit."

But Mahira feels it is different to work in the Pakistani environment as compared to abroad. "When you are working abroad, hard work plus talent equals reward. Over here, hard work, talent, sleepless nights and xyz can sometimes give you nothing. Because then there are other factors influencing things. Yes, it's sad. But it does not mean that a hardworking talented Pakistani cannot make it big, which is why I call it the Pakistani dream."

Although she says she enjoys her work and hopes to continue it for a bit longer, Mahira has bigger plans in mind. "When a VJ becomes unacceptably old for the VJ formula, then there is plenty to do. There is a bigger plan at every step that you grow big with. At the end of the day a VJ has the gift of gab, and that means you can do things that you always wanted to do.

"There is so much more that can be done and I am talking about women essentially. And that takes me back to when you asked me about my strengths, maybe that is what it is, the art of talking. Speaking is what it takes."

I ask her if she thinks at all that her looks are her strength as a VJ. She seems somewhat uncomfortable with the question. "I never think like that, my looks can't be my strength, I don't know, people tell me I'm pretty but mein nahin hoti to koi aur hota, and you know make up can do wonders and make ordinary girls look beautiful, too."

Suddenly, Mahira reveals a lighter side in contrast to all the contemplative thought. "I've always wanted to be a movie star. I knew then and I know now that I couldn't because at the time I did not know what it takes to be a star. That is something I still love to dream about," says Mahira.

*Fiza* thumbnail
Mehreen Syed
If there is some girl that has made her presence felt on the modeling and fashion scene then it is none other than Mehreen Syed, who after bagging the Face of the Year award is looking for more. With tens of magazine covers under her cap and numerous catwalks and shots in her kitty she is already on a rise. What to add more than her recent Indian tour that has given her the chance that she was looking for. She has been offered two films by top Indian banners which she is thinking over signing.

In talk with Mag4you.com, Mehreen Syed told, 'My Indian tour was amazing, though I have been offered movies from top notch directors but I have not signed any contract uptill now. I am doing negotiations with them and am looking at a few factors before making any final move, she added, 'I have been looking forward in working in a movie and this is like a dream come true but I am acting sensibly and is not making a radical decision on my part. Shashi Ranjav is a friend of mine and she has discussed the story and the film with me and I am doing negotiations with her over that these days. I will definitely work in a movie and that is for sure but if it is the movie that I want then I would definitely go for it'.

Besides her modeling career and recently bagged face of the year award, she is busy with her flying career as well as some acting assignments. The lass is working in National Airlines as well is busy with loads of modeling assignment and is working big time in the tube these days. Working simultaneously in two professions is very difficult and that is why Mehreen says, 'At times it is difficult in managing both but my seniors have always supported me and helped me doing what I want. That is why I have not faced any problems uptill now in taking up two professions simultaneously'.

Interestingly enough, in contrast to other models, who aspires to land in tube or films, she has no such plans of joining any such field except modeling and not even the catwalks. She is focusing her major attention towards modeling and fashion and plans to continue it further. She makes her point clear by saying that, 'I had no plans because I am not inclined to do acting. I feel quite odd acting in tube or films. Acting is actullay a make belief world and I don't think that I can act as I can't memorize the lines and speak. That is the very reason that I also don't do catwalks'.

The gal leads a very different life. She loves spending most of the spare time with her family. Though she was not much interested in watching TV before coming in showbiz. She tells that now she is more interested in watching the TVCs, 'I know that how much effort is been done on a TVC. You make a small world in itself. I never watched the TVC's and advertisements before I actually started appearing in them. But I think that making an advertisement is a tough job, every one puts up its effort'. When asked about the role models, Amina again proves to be different than the rest of girls and says, 'I was not the kind of person who view the magazines and discusses the dresses with the friends, I only knew Amna Haq, Vinnie and Iraj before actually coming into it.

There were no role models for me naturally as I never aspired to be a model. It was just the decision of a life time' Was she camera shy? 'Yes, I was a little bit confused doing my first TVC. The camera was so big and I was so confused how to do that. But gradually I learnt it. Now, I know how much effort is been put up in a commercial. It was an awesome experience shotting the commercial. When I came back I told all my friends what happened there and how much exciting the whole experience was'.

She has worked with hosts of photographers including Khawer Riaz, Rehan Qureshi and Rizwan Beig and he terms Khawer the best. 'You don't mature if you work with one photographer only. It becomes boring for you. That is why I work with others too as every photographer has its own individuality'.

She is also hosting Rashid Khawaja's Fashion based magazine show 'Adda', that is going on air by the end of next month. 'the show reveals all the major aspects of fashion and is about models and fashion in general. I have loved been part of this show and it reveals the inside out of us'. She has signed a host of plays and is concentrating on them right now. Mehreen Syed was much exited about her play Ik Kasak Baqi Hai Abhi that is been complete and is going on air on tube from next month. A Zommie Productions' play that is been directed by Azeem Sajjad while it has been penned by Dr. Dennis Izak.

The least cast of the play includes Azeem Sajjad, Mehreen Syed, Hassam Qazi, Mikaal, Neha, Mohsin Gillani and Rasheed Naz. 'the play has been shot excellently and I am looking forward to get that on aired as I have really worked hard over that. It has a very strong story line and I have thoroughly enjoyed my lead character in the play'. Revealing her experience working in plays she told, 'I brenched out into acting merely because I wanted to see how I would fare there.

I was bombarded with offers for the mini screen but I chose to do telefilms and a few interesting projects only'. Within just a few months, she has already bagged three serials and two telefilms that she is going to shot in this month. She is absolutely thrilled with the response that she is getting and plans to stick to acting now. She is very much choosy about her work that is why she prefers signing limited projects at a time.

When inquired, she told, 'I just like to do selected work and that is why I don't sign up everything that comes my way. That is the reason though I have worked very less I am noticed. I don't want to get overexposed; that is the basic reason behind not taking every single project that comes my way.

I love to work with Ather Shehzad and hesitate to work with other photographers as I don't find the quality work in their work as I find it in Ather Shehzad's work. They have supported me all the way in my career and that is why I have been able to bag the face of the year award. I am thankful to them for the support that they have given me'.

*Fiza* thumbnail
Humaira Channa
'Madam was a really nice, caring human being who never boasted about her work or put others down. She always used to point out my mistakes to me and we shared a rather close bond. She was always kind and sincerely wished me all the success I deserved,' says Humaira Channa

< =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

Humaira Channa is among the very lucky few for whom success came quite predictably. As the daughter of a film writer, she was appreciated at an early age by her school teacher for her beautiful rendition of naats. Pursuing her vocal talent professionally therefore, came all but naturally to the young Humaira.

At the age of nine, her father made her sing for a film he had written, called Darwaza Khula Rakhna. Later, producer Nisar Haider got Humaira her first big break on television when she performed the kalam of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai in PTV Karachi Centre's Sindh Singhar. This was followed by regular appearances in composer Niaz Ahmed's music programme, Khush Rang.

Her singing talent did not go unnoticed and it wasn't long before veteran producer Shoaib Mansoor and the talented host Anwar Maqsood coaxed her to appear in their stage show, Silver Jubilee. Ever since, hers has become a household name and a force to reckon within musical circles, even though she seems to have somewhat faded away from the spotlight recently.

During her career spanning almost two decades now, Humaira, besides having success as her constant companion, has also been dogged by controversies including news of a rift with the late singing legend Madam Noor Jehan and the accusation that her filmi songs were rip-offs of popular Indian film tracks.

Presently, Mag4you.com caught up with the songbird and spoke to her about her experiences and the lessons she has learned on her way to the top.

It has been around two decades since you entered the music industry. Who were the people who played an instrumental part in helping you shape your musical career?
I had the privilege of working with legends such as Nisar Bazmi, Bakhsi Aziz, Amjad Zaidi, Wajahat Atre, etc. It feels beautiful to interact with different composers, each having his own approach and concept. The more I interacted with different people, the more means I found to groom myself.

I still remember the time when I stepped into the music industry. There were numerous legendary singers who were not only renowned in Pakistan but across the border as well. I received training under the guidance of Ustad Azmat Shah and Ustad Khushi Ahmed Khan. I was also hugely influenced by Madam Noor Jehan and therefore used to concentrate on riaz extensively.

Our film industry has always posed a challenge for newcomers. Was it any different for you?
I entered the film industry at a time when most people had little exposure. But by the grace of Allah, I was able to adjust without much difficulty. Those were the days of Naheed Akhtar, Madam Noor Jehan, Mehdi Hassan sahib, etc. Being guided by such legends was great motivation for an amateur like me. I never tried to create mischief to make my way to the top, even when I felt low. I believed in myself and nothing could make me resort to cheap tricks.

There was a time when your alleged conflict with Madam Noor Jehan made headlines, especially after you had started singing Punjabi film songs too, something over which Madam had monopoly.
I would always laugh when I read such news and heard rumours. Madam was a really nice, caring human being who never boasted about her work or put others down. She always used to point out my mistakes to me and we shared a rather close bond. Maybe some mischief mongers wanted to taint my image, but I never felt any negative vibes coming from the late Melody Queen. She was always kind and sincerely wished me all the success I deserved.

Once, I went to a recording studio where she was busy recording a song. The moment she switched over to the classical part, I became so emotional that tears rolled down my cheeks. Seeing this, she embraced me and asked me why I was sad. I said: "Iss geet kay saath sirf Madam Noor Jehan hi insaaf karsakti thi" (only Madam Noor Jehan could have done justice to this song).

After singing for television for quite some time, you went to Lahore and started playback singing. Wasn't it tough to start all over again and that too, while facing tough competition?
Yes, it was quite tough but fortunately I met the right people at the beginning of my career. I was also not carried away like most newcomers who don't get proper guidance. My first major break as a playback singer came with the film Mukhra, the directorial debut of Nadeem. The song Ek Mera Mukhra Pyara, shot on Babra Sharif, became a hit and landed me substantial offers thereafter.

How do you foresee the future of playback singing particularly in Pakistan?
Due to changing trends, our singers are now losing focus. Most singers today opt for a commercial approach to remain in the limelight, and the increasing number of TV channels has distorted their minds even more. They tend to perform only those songs which they find commercially viable.

Playback singing for a new artiste is always a good learning experience if taken seriously and positively. What we need today are Urdu and Punjabi movies with good scripts and music.

How important is poetry to you in a musical equation?
Poetry is the core foundation of any musical composition. It gives soul to a song and has a deep impact on the listener. For me, even the song delivery feels dry if good poetry and tangible lyrics are missing. The soil of our poetical history is rich with names such as Faiz Ahmed Faiz, Riazur Rehman Saghar, Parveen Shakir, Ahmed Faraz, etc. These people have contributed immensely in augmenting the image of Urdu poetry and it is always a pleasure to sing their kalam.

There was a time when Pakistani film composers cashed in on Indian compositions and you, along with others, became a part of that race. Why did you become a party to it?
India, being a vast industry, has composers who are constantly trying out new things and experimenting with their work which gives them space to grow. On the other hand, we are blind to these requirements and hence end up having nothing new to offer. The Indians copy our songs too, you know, but that is not a justification to these charges.

Actually, as artistes, we owe immensely to the people we work with and you just cannot afford to refuse some of them. In that way, sometimes I had to surrender. Otherwise I would have been labelled as arrogant and disrespectful of my seniors. But the songs that I did were few and far in between. I did resent doing them but I had to do it for the people whom I respected and had worked with for so many years.

For some, singing is a passion or a profession while for others it is a need. What part has music played in your life?
Initially, I think music is a pleasure for most singers. It is only later on that it becomes a profession and then transforms into a need. Obviously one has to raise a family and maintain a standard of living. But it differs from person to person.

There are many artistes who have commercialised their music and to add insult to injury, they do not even know how to sing. I won't take names, but they do not last long. For me, today, the most important thing is to maintain and deliver the quality that my fans expect of me. The monetary aspect comes much later on.

Has it been hard for you to maintain a balance between your professional and domestic life?
Yes, it does get a bit tricky at times and I have had certain problems initially but now I know how to balance the two. I thank my family for giving me my space and tolerating my schedule. I have a son and a daughter and I prefer to take them with me when they are off from school. My husband, who runs his business in Sindh, has also been kind to me and without his encouragement, I would not have been able to pursue singing.

*Fiza* thumbnail
Name : Ahmed Safder
Nick Name(s) : none
Show(s) : I.Q
Number of winters I have seen?? (age) : 22
Star Sign: Pisceas
If you find me no where…I would be… : Cafe Clifton
Tattoos or Piercing? : BOTH
Fashion Statement : I am a fashion statement.
Most Memorable Moment at The Musik : Still to come...
Jeans or Shalwar Kurta : Jeans
Favorite Band : Love music, no favorite bands
When I was growing up.. I wanted to be a ….. : Politician
What pisses me off? : Liars, Fake people and Backbiters
I would kill for…… : Jessica Alba!
Any Secret??? : Loads.. if i tell them here how do they remain a secret?
Life for me is….. : Very meaningful.. got loads to offer.. just have to be careful and need to avail the right opportunities at the right time... Don't waste time and make the most out of life cuz its a short one!
Closing Statement : Only people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world actually end up changing it!!! If you believe you can do something even if it is the most absorb thing on this planet.. and everyone around you says you cant.. Don't listen to anyone or anything have faith in your own abilities and God and go for it ! Put your heart into it and work hard! You will get whatever you