Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Nisar Bazmi passes away..

Date: 2007-03-25

Nisar Bazmi, one of the most iconic musicians of the country, died after a long illness here on Thursday night. He was 82. Responsible for the success of many a star singer, Bazmi's numbers had an uncanny knack of catching the imagination of the public.

Ahmed Rushdi's "Aise bhi hain meherban" or "kuchh loag rooth kar bhi", Noor Jehan's "Abhi dhoond hi rahi thi", Runa Laila's "Dil dhadke" or "Kaatay na katay", Mehdi Hasan's "Ranjish hi sahi", Nayyara Noor's "Bol re guriya bol zara", and Alamgir's "Hum chale to humaray" were all instant hits, speaking volumes for the quality work Bazmi produced in a music career spanning over 60 years.

Born Syed Nisar Ahmed in Mumbai, India, in 1925 into a religious family, he changed his last name to Bazmi to embark on a film music career in India. His first film, Jumna Paar, was released in 1946 and immediately established him as a first-rate composer.

Bazmi composed songs for more than 40 films in India ("Jaib katra", "Dagha baaz dost", "Extra girl", "Khaufnaak aankhein"), 28 of which were released before he migrated to his new homeland.

In Pakistan, he started his career with "Aisa bhi hota hai". His national songs were as popular as his film numbers. PTV played a great role in popularising "Yeh watan tumhara hai", "Khayal rakhna", "Hum zinda qaum hain" and "Aae rooh-i-Quaid".

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
aishiya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Inna-lilah- hay Wa inna- aa-ley hey Ra-jey-oon
kalli thumbnail
AKS (RECKON): NEW HORIZONS IN THE MUSIC : POP BAND 'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Check it out!
Aks is one of the new happening voice to touch the pop music world in pakistan.For them music is passion,and this shows in their work.Muhammad Haseen & Adnan are the leading band members.Aks loves music,as they say: "Music is not really a JOB for us, its more of a passion. Inspiration lies in the fact that you can share your expressions in the most fluent and understandable way.We dont see any global language bigger than Music itself".

Showbizhungama brings you this week MUSIC BAND AKS'S exclusive interview :

lets start first with adnan:

Muhammad Adnan Butt

1) Date of birth n star of all band members?

6th January, 1983 V Capricorn

2) Introduction of all band members?

Im a graduate from GIK Institute (www.giki.edu.pk). Along with music, Im doing my job in a telecom company; plus running my own designer wear label named Sung Ada(www.sungada.com), which is promoting the handmade products of Sindh and NWFP, Im Founding President of SOPHEP V Society for the Promotion of Higher Education and Professional Excellence in Pakistan(www.giki.edu.pk/sophep). Ive recently launched a project of Mobile Content in Pakistan, where for the first time; concept of Royalty sharing was introduced (website is under construction; www.mvergence.com). Project is in the phase of artists sign up, where well be taking top 10 bands of Pakistan along with 20 top Underground bands from Pakistani music scene.

3) What inspired you to take up the job of a musical band?

Firstly, its not really a JOB for me, its more of a passion. Inspiration lies in the fact that you can share your expressions in the most fluent and understandable way. I dont see any global language bigger than Music itself!

4) Which is the no 1 pop singer / band in town and why in your opinion?

There are many good bands in Lahore and I think, this region is providing Underground music a very healthy start, rather its maturing day by day. Calling a band No 1 doesnt make sense as the complete music scene is still finding its path to a stage where we can have such segregations. Most probably, a couple of years down the road, well be in a better position to rank our artists.
Junoon was my favorite before they had a split. But their genre cant be mentioned as Pop. Its more of alternative rock/pop rock. EP did well as well!

5) How would you define the responsibilities of a singer?

In a place where music is growing everyday, people take musicians as their role models and thus their responsibility becomes even bigger. Certainly, they can depict a good point of view through their music, which can include any of the social issues, our region is facing.

6) Your favorite singers both in new & old lot?

New: Evanescence, Life house, Avril, Strings, Ali azmat

Old: Rafi, Mehdi Hassan, Amanat Ali Khan

7) How do you hold the attention of your audience while performing?

Totally depends on how the audience is responding and it literally varies a lot! But for me, most of the times, its spontaneous.

8) Do you enjoy the element of music beats while singing??

Yes, but its not the main backbone of our compositions

9) ? Do you do some voice exercises or is it purely instinctive?

Yes voice exercise is in regular routine. If you want to experiment a lot, which we actually do; instinctive voice can only help you with the basic ability, rest youve have to practice.

10) So what is it that carries you??

Passion and Confidence

11) Your fav raag and why?

Raag Deepak/Malhari. The flexibility and room they give you where you can actually do lot of experiment with your pitch and upper throat vocals

12) What is the mantra for a successful singer?

Firstly, he should be able to take the audience/listeners along with him, should be a good entertainer and should feel his social responsibility as well. Last point is what I think, it doesnt prove right in most of the cases for our singers/musicians.

13) Your favorite movie actors/actresses?

Johnny Depp, Russel Crowe, Antonio Benderas

14) Ur all time favorite song?

Zara Chehra by Zohaib Hassan

Aitebaar by Junaid

Khwab by Junoon

15) How do you update yourself to carry out your day-to-day job?

I try reading online media. Im active at discussions, with my friends or at social gatherings which most of the times are focusing on current happenings and are open discussions, so they give me the freedom of sharing my views along with getting myself updated of the current affairs and informal meetings with artists/musicians allow me to get myself updated of the music scene. I used to watch TV a lot, but now routine has become very different and time is really hard to find.

16) Ur best friend in life?

My family

17) Three things u never forget to take with u while going out?

Cellphone, Watch, Wallet.

18) Ur passions in life?

Going to the last mile and enjoying it! ƒ

19) Which is that one personality without whom u cant live?

My mom.

20) Which TV shows u enjoy watching?

Really hard to keep track of a specific show, but geo/Hum TV are doing good in this regard. Oprah/American Idol are interesting too.

21) Ur all time fav movie?

Shawshank Redemption

22) the best compliment you have ever received?

Adorable!

23) Define Ur self in THREE words

Passionate, Optimistic and Multitasking person

24) what is the best thing about being famous?

People love you and at times consider you as their role model

25) Any message for Ur fans/listeners?

You are our biggest asset and we are proud of you! You are the only source, that keeps us moving!

26) Whats Ur opinion about showbizhungama.com?

Site is pretty good! I wasnt a regular visitor though, but its really good that we have such online mags available and I feel pretty happy being a part of it.

27) Ur education?

Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute, Pakistan

28) what is your idea of a perfect day ?

Weather= mild windy; faded sun light

Number of hours = 36 at least ƒ

29) When u meet someone for the first time which thing u observe the most?

How other person is observing me.

30) Ur favorite perfume?

Obsession/Calvin klein/Adidas sport

31) What is your strongest point and weakest point?

Strongest = Passionate/Energetic

Weakest = at times, over optimistic

32) what is the cutest thing about u?

:o ! I am not a self obsessed person, but may be its the facial looks or the way I interact with people

33) Do you read?? What kind of books do you like?

Free time isnt that easy to find. Like fiction and books on current affairs.

34) Whom do u love most in world........... beside Ur mom and dad

My sisters!

35)Whom do u attribute ur success to ?

My family

36)love for u is K?

At times, a mere expression and at times larger than life!

37)three people you really admire are..?

Prophet PBUH, Bill Gates, Greg/Google CEO

38)What are the plans you have in mind for future

My plans change a lot. Im already working on a couple of business plans which will be evolving in the coming years and Inshallah will be converging on a focal point, which is my target atleast for next 5-7 years!

39)ur craziest fan?

Craziest? I cant call them crazy, its our affection that makes us their ideal! They really are my biggest asset and the source of energy pushing us to go an extra mile everytime!

40) You deal with the public directly. There must be various experiences you have had while performing. Can you share some of the more unusual ones?

Direct dealing is mostly on stage and thats always a good experience. Every time the audience gets along with you in a different way making it your unusual experience every time ƒ.

over to Haseeb:

Muhammad Haseeb

Composer, Lead Guitarist, Back Vocals

1) Date of birth n star of all band members?

14th Sep, 1983. Virgo

2) Which is the no 1 pop singer / band in town and why in your opinion?

Fuzon

3) How would you define the responsibilities of a singer?

4) Your favorite singers both in new & old lot?

James Hetfield (Metallica) Ali Azmat (Junoon)

5) Ur all time favorite song?

Fade to black (Metallica)

6) How do you update yourself to carry out your day-to-day job?

Internet

7) Ur best friend in life?

A lot of them. cant name one

8) Three things u never forget to take with u while going out?

Mobile/Wallet/Keys

9) Which TV shows u enjoy watching?

SOAP - Coupling/ Prison Break/Cell 224

10) Ur all time fav movie?

City Of angels

11) Any message for Ur fans/listeners?

Be what you are,

12) Ur education?

BE telecom

13) what is your idea of a perfect day ?

Jam- meeting friends followed by a good dinner

14) When u meet someone for the first time which thing u observe the most?

Down to earth or Not

15) What is your strongest point and weakest point?

Good Listner V Short tempered

16) Do you read?? What kind of books do you like?

A bit / Novels

17) Whom do u love most in world........... beside Ur mom and dad

My Sis

18-Whom do u attribute ur success to ?

Sis

19-love for u is K?

Every thing

20-three people you really admire are..?

Joe Satriani / A.Q.Khan /

21-What are the plans you have in mind for future

Music

22-ur craziest fan?

Wasif

AKS'S INTERVIEW BY DR EJAZ WARIS FOR SHOWBIZHUNGAMA.COM ( APRIL 2007 ALL RIGHT RESERVED)

kalli thumbnail
'Players looked up to him as a second father'

Memorial service for Woolmer held in Lahore

Pakistani players and dignitaries attended a memorial service in Lahore for Bob Woolmer on Sunday.
Captain Inzamam-ul-Haq led a contingent of seven players among the 400 mourners at the 100-year-old Sacred Heart Church in Lahore while officials lit candles and laid floral wreaths at a portrait of the late coach.

Inzamam, accompanied by team-mates Salman Butt, Imran Nazir, Shoaib Malik, Mohammed Asif, Mohammed Hafeez and Kamran Akmal, said Woolmer was an "excellent coach and above all things was an excellent human being."

"After Woolmer's family, the Pakistan team was the most aggrieved by his death," AFP quoted Inzamam as saying during the hour-long service.

Archbishop of Lahore Reverend Lawrence Saldanha said Woolmer was like a "second father" to his players. "We pay tribute to his excellent qualities. He was known for his passionate interest in cricket. We salute him for his professional competency, as well as his sense of responsibility and commitment," Saldanha said. "He was also a kind and gentle person who won the hearts of his players who looked up to him as a second father."

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Nasim Ashraf described Woolmer's death "a terrible tragedy" and said that he was a "rock of stability" who lived for cricket and loved the sport. "He was internationally known and was the first modern coach of cricket. The world will follow his method and teachings."

He remembered Woolmer as a man of simple tastes, choosing to live in a room at the National Cricket Academy rather than a five-star hotel, who developed a taste for Pakistani food and movies and understood some Urdu. "He would go to food street (a restaurant area of Lahore) and watch Pakistani movies and he once told me that the boys do not know that I understand half of their jokes."

Ashraf lit candles and along with Punjab governor Khalid Maqbool laid wreaths on behalf of President Pervez Musharraf around Woolmer's portrait, which was decorated with red roses and yellow marigold. "Muslims and Christian citizens gathered here at the Sacred Heart Church over the sorrowful death of coach Bob Woolmer and all prayed for the departed soul," Maqbool said. "Defeat and victory is part of the game. The disappointment of Pakistani cricket team is just for the time being. It will soon emerge as as one of the greatest cricket teams of the world."

Experts from Britain's Scotland Yard and a couple of senior Pakistani police officers are assisting the Jamaican police in investigating Woolmer's murder.

kalli thumbnail

Fall-out from Pakistan's World Cup campaign

Ashraf's resignation rejected

Pervez Musharraf, the Pakistan president, has rejected the resignation of Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chairman, who offered to leave his role following Pakistan's early elimination from the World Cup.

Ashraf had only been at the helm for five months, after taking over from Shaharyar Khan who stood down in October, but his resignation was believed to be a formality once the request had been faxed to the president.

"President Pervez Musharraf rejected the resignation of Nasim Ashraf today," said Aamir Bilal, a PCB media advisor, "and directed him to continue his duty to rebuild the Pakistan cricket team on modern and professional lines."

Ashraf thanked the president for showing confidence in him and said: "I will continue to endeavour my best for the development and progress of cricket in Pakistan." Ashraf also expressed deep gratitude to all cricket lovers, the general public and well-wishers for their continued support over the last week.

He added: "I promise a revamp a transparent cricket set-up and will implement short and long term action plans immediately. They will be shared with the public through the media in a press conference to be held at Gaddafi Stadium on Saturday afternoon."

However, despite Ashraf's retention Pakistan cricket remains in a major state of flux. They still need to appoint a new captain and coach to replace Inzamam-ul-Haq and Bob Woolmer, while the selection committee also resigned following the team's poor showing in the Caribbean.

kalli thumbnail

Interview of Shahzad Roy

Shahzad Roy, the young heart throb of millions of teenage girls, is a down to earth person. This I can say with certainty. He showed no hesitation in returning my call after I had left a message with his mother requesting for an interview. Regretting that he hasn't much time as he was too busy before leaving for UAE for a concert, he himself proposed that the interview be conducted on phone then and there.

Shahzad Roy is an Aquarian, born on February 16. He studied till class V at St. Jude's School, Karachi, after which he went to America but returned to finish High School from St. Jude's, and later, B.Com from Karachi University.
"How were you at studies?"

"Excellent, before starting on music," came an unexpected reply. "Basically I was a guitarist, which was my inspiration from childhood. You can say it was the beginning of music for me," started Shahzad, telling me about his childhood. "In school, I used to stay with my own group. We were a bunch of four or five students. My childhood can't be defined in a word. I was neither shy, nor aggressive, I think I was pretty normal."

How he started professional singing? "I never thought I could be a singer. I thought I was just a good guitarist. Then my friends suggested that I should sing as well, and so upon their insistence, I started singing professionally in 1995." He said.

When asked whether he composes the music or writes the lyrics first, Shahzad said, "I work both ways, sometimes the music is composed first and sometimes the lyrics are written before the music."

And what he have been if not a singer? "God knows what I would have been if I were not a singer; may be doing a job or running a business or would have gone abroad for higher studies, who knows?" came a bizarre answer.

"My honesty, my God, my parents' prayers and the hard work I did, all combines to form the Shahzad Roy which I am today!" says Shahzad while talking about the secret behind his achievements.

Shahzad's views about acting are great, "I am willing to act and model whenever I get the time (which he won't for a long time because of the long line of concerts). I have acted in a serial Lamhay because Mahnoor Balooch asked me to and I also had some free time then. It was my first and last serial which was pretty famous too. Though at present I am not acting in any drama, working in music videos is also like acting. Take the example of Khudi, which is a four minute video. The same thing stands for films. If I have time, and if the script is good, I would act in films."

And which co-stars would he prefer to act with (provided he gets the time, of course)?

"I would love to act with Mac Sean".

Shahzad defined himself in a nice way, he said, "I am sometimes very loving and sometimes a very angry person!"

About his present engagements, he said, apart from the countless concerts ahead of him, his new video CD has been recently released which include all the videos from his first to the last song. He is also working on a new album in which he has sung alongside Abida Parveen (Teray Dil Main Kya).

What would he wish for if a genie grants him three wishes?

"My first wish," he said, "would be that I could fly, because I love to fly, my second wish would be that if Pakistan is at war I would get hit by unlimited bullets and still not be harmed. And my third wish," he said after thinking for a while, "would be that God remains kind on me forever."

Celebrities, specially singers get a lot of fan calls. He told me an interesting incident in this regard, "It was about 2 am in the morning and I had returned from a concert when I received a call where someone asked, 'Kya aap ka fridge chal raha hay?' When I said, 'Jee chal raha hay', he said, 'Agar chal raha hay to ja kar pakreay, woh to bahar nickal gaya ho ga!'"

An unforgettable moment of his life was when he got the PTV Award, the credit for which he gives to his fans. He also wanted to say sorry to those fans whom he can't give autograph after his concerts. For this reason he has also made a website: www.shahzadroy.com.

Shahzad loves his younger fans a lot. His message for them is: "Always try to give small contributions for your country, because we ourselves are our country!"

SHAHZAD ROY'S FAVORITES:

Food: Chicken chilly dry (but his tastes change from time to time)
Dress: Anything that's comfortable
Song: His own song, Aag (now), Teri Surat (previously)
Pakistani male singer: Adnan Sami Khan
Pakistani female singer: Abida Parveen
International singer or group: Sting
TV actor: Noman Aijaz, Nadeem Baig
TV actress: Sania Saeed
Pakistani film actor: Shan
Pakistani film actress: All
Foreign film actor: Anthony Houstin
Foreign film actress: Umath Serman
Colour: Black & Grey
Place: Virginia

kalli thumbnail

ZHALAY SARHADI : ACTRESS/ANCHOR'S EXCUSIVE INTERVIEW

She believes in self!

Thanks to the recent channel boom many talented youngsters have had a chance to prove their mettle and make a name for themselves. But, perhaps few have made as great an impression in such a short span of time as has Zhalay Sarhadi for she is not only gifted and attractive, she is intelligent and has her head firmly planted on her shoulders. One feels that hers is going to be a name to look out for both in front and behind the camera. Social Pages has a chat with this sprightly youngster in order to get to know her better.

The daughter of Bilal Sarhadi and niece of famous television actor Khayyam Sarhadi, it was inevitable that Zhalay start with TV. After her start with the screen she took a transition to ramp and print. Zhalay's height is an advantage for her to be on the ramp and she has a full figure to support her tall structure. A classic Pakistani beauty, she has already endorsed many products. Tapal's new face, Zhalay is a dream come true for designers who love the presence she has on the ramp. This presence has been put down for posterity in Ali Zafar's 'Rangeen' video, where Zhalay grooved on stage with the pop sensation carrying off a big nose ring with elan

Q: Your name is extremely unusual. What does it mean?
A: It means prosperity in Persian, warrior princess in Arabic and morning dew in Uzbek!

Q: How did you make your debut in the world of showbiz?
A: I used to act in plays at school and college level, so Sajid Hassan, who is a family friend of ours and knew of my interest, got me a small role in a sit-com, 'Punterz'. After that I performed in 'Maya', which was followed by a string of hosting assignments. My big break came in the shape of ARY's Gold Quiz, a programme which I co-hosted live with veteran film actor Nadeem, everyday for two months. My next big break was hosting 'Shaadi Online' on GEO TV.

Q: How is it that you landed up hosting shows instead of acting, which is something you have always enjoyed?
A: Actually, I did all these assignments over a span of four years, during which period I was studying at the University of Karachi and couldn't spare the time for acting. Compering is less time consuming, so was easier to handle. But, now I have graduated and have moved away from hosting shows to acting. The only programme that I am still compering is 'Gaye gi dunya geet meray'.

Q: Are you enjoying doing the show?
A: Yes, I find it more interesting than ordinary compering because I get to sing. I come from a family which has been into music for a long time, so it's great incentive for me. Also, it's fun working with an Indian team.

Q: How is it different from working with a Pakistani team?
A: The circumstances are different. There is limited time in which we have to do the shows with our Indian counterparts and they are a lot more organized. Everyone knows exactly what they have to do and no one meddles in the other's affairs. They are very efficient and work like cogs in a machine. Also, their concepts are very clear. Pakistanis on the other hand, tend to be very slack. But, the strange part is that when we work with them, we become more professional. It's like we are just waiting for someone else to start the ball rolling. Most of the time, we are not willing to take the initiative ourselves. Even in the local productions, I've noticed that my colleagues are initially always unpunctual, but when they realize that I am invariably on time then they begin to adhere to timings.

Q: What was your major at University?
A: I was in the virgin batch of the recently introduced department of Visual Studies at the University of Karachi and did Fine Arts from there. I majored in painting and drawing but was keener to do film-making which was my minor. I hope one day to be behind the camera.

Q: Have you enjoyed your stint at modeling?
A: I only started modelling in February this year when I appeared on the ramp for a show choreographed by Imran Qureshi. But I don't enjoy modelling and compering as much as I do acting, because I feel they tend to be restricting. Their only advantages are that they are over with quickly and pay well.

Q: How was your experience acting in soaps?
A: As far as my experience of 'Love Marriage' goes, it was great. Rana Rizwan is a good director, and Imran who is a friend, was acting with me, so the team was good and it was an enjoyable experience. My role in 'Jo bath ghar mein hai' was quite small, so I didn't feel the strain too much, but 'Kanch' will be my true test, as I am in a large number of episodes and that can be a bit unnerving. It begins to take over your personality after a while.

Q: Soaps are still a relatively new phenomenon for local channels. Do you think we are equipped to handle them?
A: Ours is not such a soap society, and the culture still has to develop. We have too few actors and directors and there is a lack of consistency. A lot of channels have come up but the creative talent has not increased proportionately. So, unless our base broadens and we get a fresh breed of people, I feel we can't afford to produce too many soaps.

Q: But don't you think our actor base has considerably increased over the years, what with so many models now taking to acting?
A: I think it is ridiculous that models are becoming actors. Just because producers now want to show glamour and pretty faces in their serials, they are willing to recruit models, whether they can act or not. It is a shame there is no institute to teach pretty faces to act and the not-so-pretty actors to groom themselves.

Q: But there is the 'Adam's Academy of Digital and Media Arts'. Why aren't newcomers encouraged to avail of the facilities offered there?
A: It will take time for the institute to establish itself. But there is one consolation. Art institutes have taken off and they are very much in link with the media and the performing arts, and are teaching concepts that come in handy to those entering the world of showbiz.

Q: Have you ever toyed with the idea of working in films?
A: No, I'm not interested in films. They envelope you completely and kill your privacy, so that you die out as a person. TV, on the other hand, still allows you some privacy. And, anyway, I wouldn't do a film for any of the current film directors. If the likes of Jami or Saqib Malik were to make a film, then I'd think of acting in it.

Q: What if you were offered a role in an Indian movie?
A: Indians are constantly on the lookout for Pakistani stars, but I am not interested in acting in Indian movies. Their films are very sex-oriented, and I am not in favour of exposing flesh and becoming a sex symbol.

Q: You've been in the television industry for four years now. Did you notice any changes in this time?
A: Yes, certainly. With so many channels coming up, there are far more people involved in the industry in one way or the other – whether as sound engineers, cameramen, music directors, or what have you – so more respect is being shown it. Also, within the industry there is more professionalism now, and the people involved don't treat their work as a mere pastime, but as a profession.

Her new look has not gone by unnoticed, as she now appears in all the top fashion magazine. "Let's face it: modelling brings in a lot of money in a really short time. I'm only doing it for the money and exposure. I haven't taken it seriously at all and I don't love it." As to how she has managed to make her place in this field with such a brazen attitude, she says: "I got into modelling when ZQ, who is a very good friend of mine, introduced me to a couple of people." She is looking for a break with major designers and photographers. "I don't want to associate myself with one group," she hints at Lahore's on-off politics. And despite her relationship with the fashion industry, she loves the ramp: "It's quick and it's fun. All you need to do is show an attitude."

As far as the media is concerned, she has her ambitions crystal clear: "I definitely want to make a profession out of acting. It is my passion, besides singing. I have done many drama serials and two of them are still on air." She sees herself as a "paid internee learning the do's and don'ts of the field." She is presently working for four soaps with more in the pipeline.

Her association with the media is certainly no coincidence. The late Zia Sarhadi was her grandfather and Khayyam Sarhadi, her uncle. However, despite being that pedigree, she says she has no obligations or pressures. "We are not very close to the part of my family who are associated with the media and my parents have always been very supportive of whatever I do. They want me to be successful in the career of my choice."

She sketches out her point of view: "Around the world, acting is taught academically, and things that are taught later become careers. People here need to start taking acting professionally. In Pakistan, people don't take you seriously when you tell them you're an actor. It shouldn't be like that", she says.

Her abrupt exit from the much-acclaimed Shaadi Online has been subject to a great deal of controversy and she talks of her experience: "Shaadi Online was very interesting because I met a lot of people. But later on, it turned commercial and then it shifted to Lahore. I had no intentions of going there because I had my thesis going on, so I was planning to leave it anyway. Then one day, they called me up to tell me I was not a part of it anymore."

She terms her Dubai experience one-of-a-kind. "Working with Anu was a little difficult, but then again, being Zia Sarhadi's grand-daughter and made a big difference as he is a big name in India", she says. Her personal interest in music and films has also helped her a great deal. "Anu was happy with me and I developed a good relationship with him, despite subtle tantrums."

What exactly does she plan to do with her future? "I will carry on with acting and I hope I get telefilms. I have already worked with all my favourite people including Marina Khan, Sahira Kazmi, Rubina Ashraf and Sania Saeed." Among her projects with these veterans, she names Dhool, Kaisay Kahoon, Kaanch and Jo Baat Ghar Mein Hai. She is particularly excited about one of the serials in the pipeline, Noor Mehal, where her character follows the lines of Madhuri's in Devdas.

But as far as films are concerned, she would rather do art films with serious-minded directors than commercial films where the girl is a sex symbol. "Eventually, I want to go into direction and production," Zhalay says, adding that while she has been getting offers for films in India, she has refused them so far. "I want to establish myself firmly in Pakistan and only then think about working in India. When our stars go there, they are ridiculed because they are not well groomed and trained as actors. I don't want to work for any mediocre projects. I want to be taken seriously, and for that, I want to polish myself as an actor first."

And as for a career in singing, she says: "Presently, I have too many commitments with other projects so singing has taken a back seat. When some day I do take it up, I'll get proper training. I like our local semi-classical music a great deal and would like to work in that area."

Television viewers have been seeing a great deal of Zhalay on ARY, Geo, PTV, Aaj and Hum TV, and when asked to comment on it, she is childishly happy about it. "It's hilarious. I'm simply everywhere," she says with a mischevious grin.

With a spark in her eyes, Zhalay talks about her metamorphosis. "It's hilarious. If you had seen me six years ago, you wouldn't have recognized me. I was overweight, nerdy, depressed and living in Lahore, a place I hated. All I did there was stuff myself with food all day long." So what led to her remarkable transformation? "Unbelievably, I got a modeling assignment, and even though I didn't take it up, it got me thinking. When I came to Karachi, I started working on myself and in three months I had toned myself down."

Zhalay, today, exudes something much more than glamour. Does it mean she has had a makeover? She brushes away the notion. "Not at all. I just carry myself in a certain way and I've gotten conscious of my appearance even more. It's not a facade; I have moulded this change to my personality and I' m very comfortable with it."

Zhalay's interview & chit chat courtesy : DAWN & Social pages

kalli thumbnail
MARIA WASTI : SUPER HIT ACTRESS'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

She rocks..

'She is what we want!!!'… Yes, if a popularity poll is conducted on Maria Wasti, the outcome would no doubt confirm that line. In a time when we face a serious drought of talented actors emerging from our showbiz scene Maria is the needle in the haystack. A brilliant off-spring of the industry, she has worked her way up to the razzle-dazzle that surrounds her now. Her illuminated existence now pulls a tremendous fan following and when standing back to take a look, one gets the feeling that it's not just the pull of 'Maria the actress' anymore that's making the difference but an essential ingredient to her success is her gleaming personality as more people learn about 'Maria the person'. Her magnetic performances not only keep you glued to your seat but bespeak volumes on her maturity as an artiste and a person. So how did she get here? And what are her views on some of the industry's hot topics? We try to conclude in her latest interview with Social Pages.

Maria has always displayed the maneuvering ability of a frontline professional. Never have we heard anybody complaining about her. She is punctual, dedicated and versatile and that's exactly why she excels among her contemporaries. It's not like she arrived into the industry with a bang and had a red carpet rolled out for her, in fact she had to struggle hard and invest her two hundred percent in return for where she stands today. "I believe that whatever is done with sincerity is bound to meet success," she explains, "and sincerity in our profession means delivering your role's requirements to the fullest, becoming the character you are playing. As compared to other professions this one stands as a very demanding field due to the instant feedback and rapid response for the work you do and it can often be quite surprising. The good response of your fans guarantees the stability of your career and the bad refers to your departure to the pavilion with a duck. So generally it's not as easy as is normally perceived."

From the superficial we decide to move to the professional. The first thing that I really want to know is the criteria she uses before selecting a role and if that has changed if she compares with her early career days. "Let me tell you the second part of the question first…" her cheeks bubble up with that chubby smile she is well known for, "one can't ever compare the period of struggling days with the period when one actually becomes successful. 'Cause at the latter period when you really get a foothold or are at the threshold of your career, when your name starts selling like hot cakes, you become very, very selective of what comes your way. Your image becomes your real wealth and you can't agree to take more chances. Whereas the struggling period is where you take what you get and compromise on your artistic preferences. Getting yourself registered in the showbiz world is the only standing criteria you apply. Coming back to the first part of the question, today my priorities are quite well defined as now I have to care for the people who associate high expectations with me and the roles which I select to perform. So this is the point where my responsibilities double and as an artiste I believe this, sans any doubt is very, very important."

For Maria Wasti, life is an experience, something that helps you evolve and sometimes at the end you get to know a total surprise side of your personality. Drama is the replica of life. It's exactly the same, the way life proceeds, grows and ends in real moments. The only difference is the ending that you get to see earlier than real life. "I don't really feel any major difference between the two," Maria explains and continues, "Drama is just another facet of life and you may even deem it as a precise extension of the first. It stems from the experiences that one amasses and helps you learn by putting yourself in the shoes of different characters and how they interact with a range of various other characters. All of my roles teach me a lesson about life and the people, relations and situations we have in it. I have matured in the course of my career quite positively and that is something I thank the Lord for. He helped me get here and fulfill my acting ambitions".

In Economics, growth is equal to the per capita income minus one's spending. But in life, growth is the experience that one amasses during his or her struggling days. It means a rise in your conceiving and perception level, developing the horse sense to look at flops in the eye, and picking up the abilities of a trouble shooter. And Maria stands as a perfect practical precedent in support of this argument. With her spanking new looks that give her that million dollar face, she is now enjoying the real savor of triumph which seems to have become her slave. "Success has never been my aim," she says and continues, "What I have strived for, in my entire showbiz career, is to cultivate a good rapport as an artiste who knows her job. I wanted to see people bracketing me with Roohi Bano, Khalida Riyasat and Uzma Apa. In order to attain that, I have really worked painstakingly and I'm happy that I have not disappointed my fans," she says with satisfaction.

Actors are not exactly known to be the most successful directors or producers. It is quite a tough job, a huge task. It's like keeping all the balls in the air and many say it's not easy to juggle with acting and production together. But for Maria, production is something where she discovers herself with each new take and with every changing frame. "Production has really taught me what I have been ignorant of till now. I hadn't realized the fun of being behind the camera before and if I would have tasted it earlier then definitely you guys would have seen me as a producer so many years ago. It's like nurturing your own baby and with every passing moment the excitement doubles. And when the final product comes, you feel yourself to be the happiest person on the surface of this earth." She opens up excitingly. But how does it feel when your baby slaps you right in front of everyone else, I mean when your project falls flat on the ground? "Obviously it feels bad, but of course nobody can guarantee a hit all the time. But I have realized when the product of a new actor turns flop; things are unnecessarily blown out of proportion. There are other producers who give flops too but when an actor-turned-director or producer gives one, he is professionally lynched. My grouse is why in hell should an artiste's stock take a double beating if his baby fares badly at the box office? Give him a chance to survive. Maybe next time he would come up with something really big. It's all about learning from our mistakes right?" she argues.

Competition always gives room to improvement and that's probably because it is always deemed as a reason of the vertical graph of a subject's growth. In every field without exception we notice some sort of competition going on, so what about this industry? Do the artistes believe in competition? "I don't look at other artistes as my competitors 'cause for me, every time you look at somebody else you lose out on time to perk yourself up. When comparing, one can start feeling insecure for no reason. I look at my job as my job and that's possibly why there's no such thing as competition for me. I believe that all that rational comparison serves is engendering insecurity. This is certainly not the case with me because, in short, I don't compare." Maria's excuses could be right in one way, but aren't awards like the PTV Awards, Pride of Performance, Graduate Awards etc given after comparing performances? Isn't it, in the end, a competition? "I don't think so" she differs. Reading my thoughts a few worry lines erupt on her eye brow and she continues, "An award is basically a source of appreciation - something that is normally given when one is being appreciated by the masses for a certain job well done. I can safely say, separating any bias, that I've never delivered a good performance just to achieve an award. Like I said earlier, my roles help me mature and fulfill my acting ambition. As for those who work to deliver good performances with awards as targets, well they can do their thing and I'll do mine."

"Quality is better than quantity", is an age-old adage but its something that we have to believe in, even today. In Maria's case the things called 'priorities' seem pre-defined. She doesn't want to see her name topping the cast list of every second play that gets on air. "I don't know why people seem interested in having their faces plastered on screens! I have always preferred to refrain from such kind of roles which refuse to give any margin for performance. All my characters in my plays have been radically different. What I really enjoy is to keep the audience guessing about what is going to pop up next. I always choose intense scripts where I find my role an expressive one, with more to do, 'cause the harder it gets, the more of a challenge it becomes. And for me, challenging roles are what nurture a seasoned artist… someone who can portray any role and really grip the audience with a show of emotions on the screen."

Sometimes Maria Wasti feels to be a misfit candidate in an industry where one is supposed to reach out to the big wigs if he or she desires to get a meaty role. "I don't want to reach out to anybody. A talented artiste doesn't need to hard-sell herself to get special favors. Like every other field, groupism is not something that happens on the showbiz scene out of the blue. Here you can easily find many who go by camps or schools." For some people the excuse is to avoid being type cast while others do it for their peace of mind so they don't get cheated by new people mushrooming to the showbiz scene. But for Maria Wasti it's definitely not an excuse as she remains in peace as long as she is admired by her fans. "I have never appreciated to confine myself to certain conventional heroine roles as most of the so called big banners have pre-set rules of production. If I had such intentions, I'd be signing roles with the who's who of the industry. But that has never been a thumb rule for me and neither would it be in future 'cause the substance of a role matters to me the most".

Maria's interview courtesy :social pages!

kalli thumbnail

MARIA WASTI : SUPER HIT ACTRESS'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

She rocks..

'She is what we want!!!'… Yes, if a popularity poll is conducted on Maria Wasti, the outcome would no doubt confirm that line. In a time when we face a serious drought of talented actors emerging from our showbiz scene Maria is the needle in the haystack. A brilliant off-spring of the industry, she has worked her way up to the razzle-dazzle that surrounds her now. Her illuminated existence now pulls a tremendous fan following and when standing back to take a look, one gets the feeling that it's not just the pull of 'Maria the actress' anymore that's making the difference but an essential ingredient to her success is her gleaming personality as more people learn about 'Maria the person'. Her magnetic performances not only keep you glued to your seat but bespeak volumes on her maturity as an artiste and a person. So how did she get here? And what are her views on some of the industry's hot topics? We try to conclude in her latest interview with Social Pages.

Maria has always displayed the maneuvering ability of a frontline professional. Never have we heard anybody complaining about her. She is punctual, dedicated and versatile and that's exactly why she excels among her contemporaries. It's not like she arrived into the industry with a bang and had a red carpet rolled out for her, in fact she had to struggle hard and invest her two hundred percent in return for where she stands today. "I believe that whatever is done with sincerity is bound to meet success," she explains, "and sincerity in our profession means delivering your role's requirements to the fullest, becoming the character you are playing. As compared to other professions this one stands as a very demanding field due to the instant feedback and rapid response for the work you do and it can often be quite surprising. The good response of your fans guarantees the stability of your career and the bad refers to your departure to the pavilion with a duck. So generally it's not as easy as is normally perceived."

From the superficial we decide to move to the professional. The first thing that I really want to know is the criteria she uses before selecting a role and if that has changed if she compares with her early career days. "Let me tell you the second part of the question first…" her cheeks bubble up with that chubby smile she is well known for, "one can't ever compare the period of struggling days with the period when one actually becomes successful. 'Cause at the latter period when you really get a foothold or are at the threshold of your career, when your name starts selling like hot cakes, you become very, very selective of what comes your way. Your image becomes your real wealth and you can't agree to take more chances. Whereas the struggling period is where you take what you get and compromise on your artistic preferences. Getting yourself registered in the showbiz world is the only standing criteria you apply. Coming back to the first part of the question, today my priorities are quite well defined as now I have to care for the people who associate high expectations with me and the roles which I select to perform. So this is the point where my responsibilities double and as an artiste I believe this, sans any doubt is very, very important."

For Maria Wasti, life is an experience, something that helps you evolve and sometimes at the end you get to know a total surprise side of your personality. Drama is the replica of life. It's exactly the same, the way life proceeds, grows and ends in real moments. The only difference is the ending that you get to see earlier than real life. "I don't really feel any major difference between the two," Maria explains and continues, "Drama is just another facet of life and you may even deem it as a precise extension of the first. It stems from the experiences that one amasses and helps you learn by putting yourself in the shoes of different characters and how they interact with a range of various other characters. All of my roles teach me a lesson about life and the people, relations and situations we have in it. I have matured in the course of my career quite positively and that is something I thank the Lord for. He helped me get here and fulfill my acting ambitions".

In Economics, growth is equal to the per capita income minus one's spending. But in life, growth is the experience that one amasses during his or her struggling days. It means a rise in your conceiving and perception level, developing the horse sense to look at flops in the eye, and picking up the abilities of a trouble shooter. And Maria stands as a perfect practical precedent in support of this argument. With her spanking new looks that give her that million dollar face, she is now enjoying the real savor of triumph which seems to have become her slave. "Success has never been my aim," she says and continues, "What I have strived for, in my entire showbiz career, is to cultivate a good rapport as an artiste who knows her job. I wanted to see people bracketing me with Roohi Bano, Khalida Riyasat and Uzma Apa. In order to attain that, I have really worked painstakingly and I'm happy that I have not disappointed my fans," she says with satisfaction.

Actors are not exactly known to be the most successful directors or producers. It is quite a tough job, a huge task. It's like keeping all the balls in the air and many say it's not easy to juggle with acting and production together. But for Maria, production is something where she discovers herself with each new take and with every changing frame. "Production has really taught me what I have been ignorant of till now. I hadn't realized the fun of being behind the camera before and if I would have tasted it earlier then definitely you guys would have seen me as a producer so many years ago. It's like nurturing your own baby and with every passing moment the excitement doubles. And when the final product comes, you feel yourself to be the happiest person on the surface of this earth." She opens up excitingly. But how does it feel when your baby slaps you right in front of everyone else, I mean when your project falls flat on the ground? "Obviously it feels bad, but of course nobody can guarantee a hit all the time. But I have realized when the product of a new actor turns flop; things are unnecessarily blown out of proportion. There are other producers who give flops too but when an actor-turned-director or producer gives one, he is professionally lynched. My grouse is why in hell should an artiste's stock take a double beating if his baby fares badly at the box office? Give him a chance to survive. Maybe next time he would come up with something really big. It's all about learning from our mistakes right?" she argues.

Competition always gives room to improvement and that's probably because it is always deemed as a reason of the vertical graph of a subject's growth. In every field without exception we notice some sort of competition going on, so what about this industry? Do the artistes believe in competition? "I don't look at other artistes as my competitors 'cause for me, every time you look at somebody else you lose out on time to perk yourself up. When comparing, one can start feeling insecure for no reason. I look at my job as my job and that's possibly why there's no such thing as competition for me. I believe that all that rational comparison serves is engendering insecurity. This is certainly not the case with me because, in short, I don't compare." Maria's excuses could be right in one way, but aren't awards like the PTV Awards, Pride of Performance, Graduate Awards etc given after comparing performances? Isn't it, in the end, a competition? "I don't think so" she differs. Reading my thoughts a few worry lines erupt on her eye brow and she continues, "An award is basically a source of appreciation - something that is normally given when one is being appreciated by the masses for a certain job well done. I can safely say, separating any bias, that I've never delivered a good performance just to achieve an award. Like I said earlier, my roles help me mature and fulfill my acting ambition. As for those who work to deliver good performances with awards as targets, well they can do their thing and I'll do mine."

"Quality is better than quantity", is an age-old adage but its something that we have to believe in, even today. In Maria's case the things called 'priorities' seem pre-defined. She doesn't want to see her name topping the cast list of every second play that gets on air. "I don't know why people seem interested in having their faces plastered on screens! I have always preferred to refrain from such kind of roles which refuse to give any margin for performance. All my characters in my plays have been radically different. What I really enjoy is to keep the audience guessing about what is going to pop up next. I always choose intense scripts where I find my role an expressive one, with more to do, 'cause the harder it gets, the more of a challenge it becomes. And for me, challenging roles are what nurture a seasoned artist… someone who can portray any role and really grip the audience with a show of emotions on the screen."

Sometimes Maria Wasti feels to be a misfit candidate in an industry where one is supposed to reach out to the big wigs if he or she desires to get a meaty role. "I don't want to reach out to anybody. A talented artiste doesn't need to hard-sell herself to get special favors. Like every other field, groupism is not something that happens on the showbiz scene out of the blue. Here you can easily find many who go by camps or schools." For some people the excuse is to avoid being type cast while others do it for their peace of mind so they don't get cheated by new people mushrooming to the showbiz scene. But for Maria Wasti it's definitely not an excuse as she remains in peace as long as she is admired by her fans. "I have never appreciated to confine myself to certain conventional heroine roles as most of the so called big banners have pre-set rules of production. If I had such intentions, I'd be signing roles with the who's who of the industry. But that has never been a thumb rule for me and neither would it be in future 'cause the substance of a role matters to me the most".

Maria's interview courtesy :social pages!

kalli thumbnail
Rungg : Another band Broken

Date: 2007-04-07

With their debut album Green, released perhaps a little too late, Rungg finally called it a day towards the end of February, 2007. With Noori reduced to a duo without drummer extraordinaire Gumby and Fuzon reforming without Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan, break ups seem to be endemic in the music world. Each parting of ways has its own story.
Instep caught up with all of Rungg's members who spoke of the reasons behind the disbandment and each individual's future plans.
Ifu

Rungg was actually a duo, which was founded by Sarmad and myself. When I reflect, the greatest aspect was that we ended up becoming really good friends and that was one of the major sources of motivation to do

music and work together. The experience was great but over the years because of living in two different cities, a communication gap was created which was then followed by personal differences as Sarmad began getting involved in other projects. Priorities changed I guess and I suppose this is why there was a tinge of bitterness that crept into the relationship because on the work front, there weren't any artistic differences, rather, they were of a personal nature.

I think we put up a great album irrespective of what people thought or not and above all, I had a great time working with Sarmad, and if it were anyone other than him, I believe it wouldn't have been the same. I'd also like to add that Xulfi and Wasim really stood by us through thick and thin and even through periods of frustration and disappointments, they were always around.
Ever since the disbandment I've currently decided to work on my solo album which I'm extremely excited about. The songs I've written so far are a totally different sound from Rungg so I'm looking forward as to how it turns out.

Sarmad
Concerning the current circumstances, it was expected. I had a lot of hope for the band to be honest and it was very painful when it came to an end because I had a lot of fond memories attached with Rungg.
Since Ifu was sponsoring the whole thing - being the main investor - resources eventually had to get exhausted. Also, our record label never paid us any royalties for our album... it's been a year now and still we haven't been paid a single penny. It wasn't in our control but maybe the timings, with regard to the album launch, were. But we weren't getting any business. Right now I'm running my own studio and playing for Atif Aslam. I might just venture out into a solo project but let's see. I wish the others a lot of success though and I hope they do great at whatever they set out to.
Xulfi
There were a lot of issues mainly due to the distance factor. For a band to function as a unit, its members have to be accessible. Of course I was upset about the disbandment but frankly I think all of us saw it coming. We really were hopeful after the debut album came out but were dragged down by the label due to it not promoting us effectively, and apart from the usual TV promotion there was nothing else.
I must admit we did have high expectations and enjoyed playing our music very much, but nothing really materialized. Currently though I'm working towards going abroad for my MA in Broadcast Design & Motion Graphics which will also give me a chance to explore music.

Wasim
The trouble was that no band member was available on a regular basis due to the distance factor (as both Sarmad and I live in Islamabad whereas Ifu and Xulfi reside in Lahore). Due to having jobs alongside the band, no one could commit to it full-time. Yes I would agree that after the album launch we were extremely hopeful but then again we weren't jamming enough.
After the disbandment I started my own event management company by the name of 'RAM' (Rock Align Movement). The difference is that we're not a typical event management company - we only promote serious musicians and target serious listeners. Alongside that, I'm session playing with Zeejah and Lahu but would really love to work with Ifu on his solo project.

Rungg's calling the final shot and packing up was extremely predictable. Perhaps they weren't too 'on the ball' with regard to a speedy album release following the release of three singles. Whatever the reasons for Rungg's disbandment, the lukewarm response from their record company and the fact that it did not honour the band's contract was perhaps the final curtain call for the band to finally dissolve. Unlike E.P, where each band member complemented the 'structure', Rungg's members seem better off going solo. Maybe the creative input from each member didn't mesh well as a final product. But with Ifu's vocal skills and Sarmad's proficient musical deliverance (along with an extremely sound technical know-how), each of them (along with Xulfi and Wasim) will perhaps succeed as solo artistes. But it it won't be Rungg any more